[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been rewatching the first season of the anime now that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13

File: Ash.jpg (11KB, 424x318px) Image search: [Google]
Ash.jpg
11KB, 424x318px
I've been rewatching the first season of the anime now that SM is confirmed to be garbage and it's incredible how much more lively and how much more personality Ash has compared to his XY persona.

This combined with the novel info from the other thread makes me appreciate him a whole lot more.
>>
>>28607292
>tfw the anime used to be legit enjoyable but never again
>>
XY Ash is bland as a board as hard whiplash from them making BW Ash way too silly because of the earthquake.

Hopefully SM Ash will at least be balanced like in AG or DP.
>>
>>28607292
The anime in general used to have more personality. It was funnier and not so clean and bland. I don't remember when exactly it went downhill but it's been a long while.
>>
>>28607390
Probably when Shudo left, so the end of Johto.
>>
>>28607397
Didn't he leave like right after Azalea, which is why the GS Ball plot thread never got properly concluded?
>>
>>28607292
>Ash
>Personality

Ash has never had a personality like most human characters in the anime, The only characters to have any semblance of a personality are Jessie and James.
>>
>>28607518
No, he wrote the first 3 films, Mewtwo Returns and his last anime episode was somewhere between the 7th and 8th Johto badge.
>>
>>28607390
Somewhere between midway through Johto and midway through Hoenn, I'd say. Generally the same time pokemania died out, though that might be a coincidence.

Probably just a result of them trying to retain fans by playing it safe while inadvertently ditching the best parts in the process.
>>
>>28607518

Mewtwo Returns was the last thing he did as the head writer. He wrote a few more Johto episodes, then left somewhere at the tail-end.

The GS Ball (in the anime, anyway) was supposed to contain Celebi, but the writers decided to fuck over that subplot because they wanted to do the fourth movie instead. Why they didn't just conclude the GS Ball plot in the movie, I don't know.
>>
It goes to shit after primeape

s1 is no better than the other seasons
>>
>>28607618
S1 isn't all that great considering not even one battle in the show is interesting and the majority of Ash's winnings for badges are just bullshit wins not based on his skills as a trainer.
>>
i couldn't watch the anime anymore when they got rid of the original english voice actors, maybe i'm just a nostalgiafag though
>>
>>28607618
bait
>>
>>28607641
I bet you think XY was good too.
>>
Genwunners please fuck off from this board forever. The anime was absolute shit back then and barely even resembled how Pokemon actually works.
>>
>>28607734
>back then
>implying it's not shit now

Nice joke anon
>>
>>28607734
nice bait
>>
>>28607292
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

In OG series he had an actual personality and acted mostly like an actual kid

In XY he may as well be a cardboard cutout and he's just a stale overly positive piece of shit who never gets mad about anything unless team rocket is involved
>>
>>28607292
agreed. early pokemon anime series was rather funny and good.

my favorite episodes are usually anything with Jessie and James getting all artsy and cultural and make money just to fuck over the twerplets.
>>
>>28607734
dude...

the anime does bullshit ALL the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwHu0R6O0Ng
>>
We would have never had threads like this before Go. Fuck GameFreak for selling out to the nostalgiafag audience.
>>
>>28607799
sop shilling your garbo channel
>>
>>28607807
I've seen threads like this before GO
>>
>>28607999
not mine. I just wanted to post an example.
especially the arial ace + thunder meme is incredibly stupid.
>>
>>28607734
>hating genwunners
>2016
>>
>>28607292
I've been rewatching the first season of your childhood now that adulthood is confirmed to be garbage and it's incredible how much more lively and how much more personality you had as a kid compared to your adult self

This combined with the personal info from your parents makes me appreciate you a whole lot more.
>>
>>28608232
>implying I grew up with Kanto.

Nigga I grew up with Hoenn, fuck out of here.
>>
>>28607353
>XY Ash is bland as a board as hard whiplash from them making BW Ash way too silly because of the earthquake.
He was retarded before the earthquake.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 1024x576px)
image.jpg
94KB, 1024x576px
>>28608270
>implying you ever grew up

Anon you're such a kid
>>
>>28608325
I'm not sure what it is, but that text combined with that image is incredibly infuriating. Not even funny smug, just angering.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 600x320px)
image.jpg
50KB, 600x320px
>>28608341
That's iris for you
>>
>>28608381
Please stop. I've watched a fistful of the anime since it was a thing and i've never seen this person at all, but i've got a dreadful feeling in the pit of my stomach building.

You've got to be twisting this around somehow.
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 1280x722px
>>28608409
Not even twisting things,she's the most disliked female companion. Even worse than misty because she's at least got the genwunner fan base.
>>
I feel like Ash of SM has more personality, but it's too early, maybe it's only my impression.
>>
>>28608454
Misty was bitchy at times but didnt put ash down every fucking episode
>>
>>28608454
I can fucking believe it. Tell me, does she actually say >>28608325 with that pose?
I have never immediately hated a character upon seeing them as I do this one.

>>28608484
>every fucking episode
Is that an exaggeration? I don't know what to believe.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 500x272px
>>28608484
Incompetence calls for punishment. Losing the league 6 times in a row is pathetic
>>
>>28607595

>
The GS Ball (in the anime, anyway) was supposed to contain Celebi, but the writers decided to fuck over that subplot because they wanted to do the fourth movie instead. Why they didn't just conclude the GS Ball plot in the movie, I don't know.

Two things there actually.

One, it wasn't the writer's decision - it was TPCi's decision to have Celebi be the star of the 4th movie. This was around the time they were taking a lot more control over everything.

Secondly, the GS Ball opening was supposed to kickstart an arc that was to last 40-50+ episodes. The movie was scheduled to come out long before then.
>>
One hand I really hated Iris' attitude and the way she treated Ash, on the other BW Ash was a complete idiot and wasn't undeserving of most of the stuff she said.

I suppose at the end of the day what makes Iris really annoying is that most her criticisms are hypocritical since they more than usually apply to herself as well.
>>
>>28608510
>Is that an exaggeration? I don't know what to believe.

Iris token one liner was to put down ash as childish which became incredibly insulting after a few episodes.

Them soft rebooting the anime with ash going full retard again starting all over and forgetting that electro attacks are weak against rock and having pikachu lose to a lv 5 starter after forcefully having it levelled down by a legendary made things even worse.

Then of course you have the league battle where ash officially lost to the biggest retard ever

I know we all exaggerate a lot but no one is lying about the shit fest that was B/W
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 300x168px)
image.jpg
18KB, 300x168px
>>28608510
She does it just about every episode,if not for maybe some exceptions like where they're separated or serious shit is happening. Also yes,her catch phrase is basically >>28608325 but replace anon with ash
>>
>>28608520
If Ash would care about strategy and not the power of friendship he would win ever league by simply switching in pokemon hes got a Oaks Lab

This is why we need another Frontier style of season where he fights in a champion league and uses all of his assets
>>
>>28608584
Ash isn't going to win because the writers don't want him to. Literally nothing he does would make him win.
>>
>>28608558
>>28608559
How could anyone have possibly thought this was a good idea?I know hindsight is 20/20, but there's a limit.
>>
>>28608558
I don't disagree that Ash and Pikachu losing to a fresh starter is embarrassing but can we stop with the level 5 stuff?

The anime isn't the games, the starters don't necessarily come with no experience. For example Ash's Froakie which had been given the multiple trainers as a starter.
>>
>>28608609
I honestly dont know what the japs are thinking or what the fuck the problem is with having ash win one fucking league for once. Its obvious at this point that winning a regional league does not make you a "pokemon master" just a token champion until next year

I also dont get the serena romance shit when they will just drop her by the end of the season and not have her join him for another region like with misty and brock.
>>
>>28608639
>The anime isn't the games, the starters don't necessarily come with no experience. For example Ash's Froakie which had been given the multiple trainers as a starter.

I get your point but come the fuck on pikachu just beat latios in the shinnoh league match and then loses to a pokemon that was handed over to a beginner trainer
>>
File: 220px-Giant_Dragonite.png (49KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Giant_Dragonite.png
49KB, 220x165px
Old Pokemon had a lot more mystery with a omnipresence like feelings at times.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 646x978px)
image.jpg
76KB, 646x978px
>>28608609
Struggling ratings call for desperate measures. It's not new for the anime to throw old fans under the bus. It's been 20 years and they're aware that people are tired of all the shit ash has to put up with because of suits making the final decisions. They've resorted to using things like a competent looking ash and signs of possible romance to bait people into watching again,and guess what? It fucking worked.
>>
>>28608558
>lose to a lv 5 starter

People need to stop thinking of the anime like it's the games.
Yes, it was a new stater, but calling it level 5 isn't accurate.
>>
>>28608604

No, but there's a difference between losing to the God Emperor Diablo Ex Machina Himself and losing to a bumblefuck who only brings 5 Pokemon to a 6 Pokemon Battle.

>Kanto
Ash got the shit end of the luck stick with his fight against Ritchie and how Team Rocket fucked him up, but he wasn't going to win the league.

>Johto
Ash proved he's competent when he went up against Gary, and then Harrison proved that Ash still has a bunch to learn.

>Hoenn
Ash proved that he's come a LONG way from where he started and he lost to the eventual champion in an extremely close fight that could have gone either way.

Up until this point, Ash has been growing with every step and every fight.

>Sinnoh
Ash cleans house with everyone else - the only reason he lost is because someone showed up with legendaries out the fucking ass for shits and giggles.

At this point, we get first hand evidence that there are just some trainers that are in a COMPLETELY different league than the rest of the trainers in the world. Ash is at the top of the food chain when it comes to regular trainers, but he's only just barely breaking into the world of Champions and Wandering Trainers. So we know Ash has accomplished a lot, but there's still so much more - basically a whole new world to see.

>UNOVA
Ash gets blown the fuck out, only just barely making the top 8, thanks to some fucking hick who can't even bring in a full team and fought a championship match with a fucking Riolu, all while making basic mistakes that he already knows not to make.

At this point, the writers fucking gave up.

>Kalos
Literally just a repeat of Sinnoh, right down to the trainer (who's out of Ash's league) entering the tournament for shits and giggles.

Ash is NEVER going to win, but there are ways to make him lose gracefully - losing to a mouthbreather because he breathed really hard with his mouth is not one of those ways.
>>
>>28608774
I'll never not hate Harrison for bringing hoenn pokemon to a johto competition. T
>>
>>28608774
>Literally just a repeat of Sinnoh, right down to the trainer (who's out of Ash's league) entering the tournament for shits and giggles.
Alain was hardly out of Ash's league, he won 1-0 not 4-0 like Tobias.
>>
>>28608752
>It fucking worked.
That it did. I won't lie and pretend that i'm a super fan of the anime, but hearing about how he might actually do it this time had me interested enough to go back and watch the whole season. I was pretty enamored with how much better I remember it was compared to the last thing I saw being the D&P series.

I guess they were right in the end. I'm not somebody they're trying to market to with the anime. Watching online isn't helping them and i'm going to buy the game regardless of the anime.
>>
>>28608862
When the only Pokemon he used was Charizard and Metagross, the other 4 were probably severely underleveled.
>>
>>28608892
>probably
So you can't say for sure, right. Levels aren't a thing in the anime anyway.

Alain like all other characters probably used all his Pokemon a shit ton offscreen.

Shouta went from a complete newbie to on Ash's level in the span of about 10 episodes offscreen.
>>
File: 1470004544264.gif (696KB, 500x281px)
1470004544264.gif
696KB, 500x281px
Iris posting should be a bannablr offense
>>
>>28608887
>Watching online isn't helping them and i'm going to buy the game regardless of the anime.

This is the worst part,just about everyone on this board has watched the anime at some point in their life. They may have dropped it for whatever reason but they continue to buy the games because regardless of how bad the anime can become the games are still fun. Unfortunately this makes TPC think the anime is working doing what it was meant to do by advertising the games and so they keep doing the same shit over and over because to them it seems like it just works
>>
>>28608952
I doubt they judge the anime's success based on game sales alone. Merch based on the anime probably plays a part too.
>>
>>28608862
I think the problem, specifically, was Megazard. I'd say the reason why it felt shitty was because Megazard was just tanking everything instead out outskilling the opponents. Complain about Tobais's Darkrai all you want - it was at least taken down.
>>
>>28608848
>I'll never not hate Harrison for bringing hoenn pokemon to a johto competition. T

Why? Its the perfect strategy and Ash should do it in every League Battle himself.

When you fight locals with what they would consider exotic Pokemon you automatically get the upper hand

Just imagine if Ashs League Team for his final battle had been Pikachu, Greninja, Charizard, Sceptile, Heracross, Snorlax instead of using the team of Pokemon that are local to region hes fighting

He would have insta killed every single pokemon while Serena squirts on the sides from excitement
>>
>>28608991
Alain's Megazard is supposed to be a beast, beating 10 megas in a row is something I doubt even Darkrai could pull off. And he only took out 2 of Ash's pokémon when Darkrai got 5.
>>
>>28608991
Yep. They built that thing up to be a fucking monster. He was tanking legendary pokemon shots and everything.
>>
>>28609035
Ash had two fucking tanks waiting at Oak that could have taken it (Snorlax and Torterra)
>>
File: tumblr_n1gj491Peb1rpn9eno1_500.gif (692KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1gj491Peb1rpn9eno1_500.gif
692KB, 500x330px
The scene in episode 3 when Caterpie and Pikachu talk together under the full moon is the most adorable thing I've seen in this franchise.
>>
File: moon02.jpg (12KB, 220x176px) Image search: [Google]
moon02.jpg
12KB, 220x176px
>>28609066
Dont forget this one
>>
>>28609066
https://youtu.be/cUgf6YvDN7Y
>>
>>28607734
>>28608129
>genwunners
>existing (on 4chan)
>1997 + 19
>>
>>28608678
fuck, that episode creeps me out to this day
>>
>>28609099
I miss when Ash's Pokemon had personalities like this.
>>
>>28609137
>Pikachu = kid/teen Gohan
>Bulbasaur = Piccolo
>Squirtle = Krillin
>Charizard = Vegeta
>>
>sprinklers
>aim for the horn
>you made me laugh, here have a badge
The anime was always shit, even as a kid i knew that, Digimon only trump over Pokemon is that it's anime was usually better than Pokemon.
>>
>>28609156
Digimon went to shit after the original show ended with every generation of trainers being bigger faggots than the last
>>
>>28609166
S2 was bad, but Tamers was great and Frontier was meh, but still better than whatever season Pokemon was in (i think hoenn). Stopped watching both around that time so can't say after that.
>>
>>28607292
Where can I find it subbed?
>>
>>28609277
Kissanime has it.
>>
>>28609282
>streaming
>>
>>28609326
>torrenting in 2k16
>>
>>28609099
Man how the hell did I forget this scene, makes me feel old.
>>
>>28609066
>>28609099
Holy shit I'm crying, also nice dubs.

What are the best episodes of the first season?
>>
>>28609632
The first episodes until Butterfree is released are all great.
>>
>>28609166
But it got objectively worst immediately after the first, only to become the best immediately after
>>
>>28607538
>The only characters to have any semblance of a personality are Jessie and James.

this and Meowth too.
>>
>>28609099
The ashnime just doesn't have scenes like this anymore for some reason.
>>
File: 1472521912131.jpg (73KB, 480x644px) Image search: [Google]
1472521912131.jpg
73KB, 480x644px
>>28608558
>electro attacks are weak against rock
>>
>>28610213
How are those two scenes even remotely comparable?
>>
>>28608484
Has a person who watched all of BW but dub and sub, I know for a fact that this is lie.

>>28608558
>Iris token one liner was to put down ash as childish which became incredibly insulting after a few episodes.

The only time it seemed like a real insult was in the when they first meet, after that it seemed more like a pet name.

>
Them soft rebooting the anime with ash going full retard again starting all over and forgetting that electro attacks are weak against rock and having pikachu lose to a lv 5 starter after forcefully having it levelled down by a legendary made things even worse.

Ash have some derp moments in this region but he had some badass moments too, people just forget and act like he never made mistakes in the other regions and are more anal about it hear because of the first battle with trip, which while understandable, i'm gonna have to disagree with here.

>Then of course you have the league battle where ash officially lost to the biggest retard ever

I hated the league too so nothing to say about that.

>I know we all exaggerate a lot but no one is lying about the shit fest that was B/W

You for guys it might be shit, but for me it's my personal favorite season not counting the island filler at the end.

And before any asks, no this is not bait m8.
>>
>>28607292
>season 1 was so good because ash was lively and had so much personality
>SM, where he looks livelier than ever, is definitely garbage though

??????
>>
Iris a best
>>
>>28607390
>I don't remember when exactly it went downhill but it's been a long while.
I'd say mid Johto with a resurgence in Hoenn up until the frontier arc.
>>
>>28609166
Adventure was okay
02 on the other hand was a complete crock of shit that was rewritten multiple times.
Tamers was a quality series through and through.
Frontier kind of lost the plot because the children were the Digimon
Savers was a wild ride with Masaru slapping shit left, right and center.
Xros Wars was amazing up until young hunters happened. Everything was wrapped up with a neat little bow until that arc.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.