[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's no denying that Gen 1 and Gen 2 were the golden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14

File: 1458574494501.gif (2MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1458574494501.gif
2MB, 480x480px
There's no denying that Gen 1 and Gen 2 were the golden age of the franchise. Post ITT if you're a nostalgiafag. Let's reminisce.
>>
>>28590931
Bait or not, this will turn into a shit flinging genwunner argument. Saging.
>>
>Gen 1
No, it was completely broken garbage

>Gen 2
Had flaws, some of which still weren't even fixed in HGSS, but was objectively good
>>
>>28591093
Underaged
>>
File: 250px-420Cherubi.png (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-420Cherubi.png
50KB, 250x250px
>>28590931

>'MEMBER RED AND BLUE?!
>'MEMBER WHEN THERE WERE ONLY 150 POKEMON?!
>'MEMBER MISTY?!
>>
>>28590974
Nope they suck
>>
I think you cant argue about the wether the designs are better or not since that is subjective.

Gen 1 and 2 were definitely a little different from the others. It was a time when the game wasn't so kiddified and had actual substance. You could also immerse yourself in the world almost.

Battling has only gotten better thoigh. There's still things that gen 1 and 2 sucked with.
>>
>>28591256
>It was a time when the game wasn't so kiddified and had actual substance
I disagree. I think it's the opposite. The game was pretty kiddified and simplistic and evolved into something more mature and immersive overtime.
>>
>>28591108
>>
>>28590931
>>28591152
>'member the Game Corner?
>'member Missingno.?
>'member Pikablu?
>>
>mfw I'm a nostalgia fag and I fully admit it
>Mfw I enjoy all the Gen 1 pandering in XY and SM

Dropped Pokemon at Gen 3, came back for X now that GF realizes which userbase made its franchrise big.

All you kiddies can shit on Gen 1 all you want, doesn't change that nobody gives a shit about your first Pokemon games

Also
http://youtu.be/xMk8wuw7nek
>>
gen 1 was incredibly broken and gen 2 had a terrible leveling curve and didn't even show off the new pokemon added

only half of the gym leaders had johto pokemon as their ace and 3 of them were cross gen evolutions
>>
>>28590931
>There's no denying that Gen 1 and Gen 2 were the golden age of the franchise
Back to Facebook you go
>>
>>28590931
I can deny it all I want and you can't stop me.
I don't see any stage of it being the "golden age" and I've been with it since shortly after it came over here.
>>
>>28591850
>implying that everyone who started with gen 1 thinks it was the best

I loved gen 1, but gen 5 is my favorite
>>
>>28590931
Only 2, but that was dethroned by 5.
>>
Can we just laugh at all the newfag fans of pokemon and how GF ignores their favorite mons.

Gen 1 all day, every day.
>>
Pokemon didn't really get great until Gen 4..

27 in November and Pokemon mechanics were just flat out busted until the moves got split into special and physical.

Gen 6 made EV training and breeding mind numingly easy, and Gen 6 makes it so you only need a mon with the right nature for them to be top tier.

You can argue designs but that's subjective, I personally in terms of design I rate them like this.

5 > 7(So far) > 3 > 1 > 6 > 2 > 4
>>
>>28591663
I agree, but with the exception of Team Flare's heavier shit, XY was a step back.
>>
pokemon after Gen 3 is basically dead to me.
in Gen 4, all you have is trash and dogshit to take to a battle. oh hey, do you want that barely sentient transparent jellyfish, some mutated shitseed from the woods, a fucking stitched up balloon or would you rather have that flimsy ass bug that anybody could break in half with one hand over there?

I want to like it, I really do but no design stands out much since I've checked out Platinum and saw the end of pokemon.

I can deal with Gen 3 but I don't even wanna know what Black and White does or if I will just drop it like it's nothing.
>>
>>28594038
>it's another "genwunners pretend that Pokemon like grimer and voltorb don't exist" episode
>>
Gen 1 and 2 had the most comfy atmosphere but Gen 4 and beyond had way better gameplay
>>
>>28594038
>but I don't even wanna know what Black and White does

Reinvent generation I in terms of design, which seems to be your focus for judging games. To illustrate they are geographically apart from the older games, the entire pokedex consist of new pokemon only, until you reach the post-game.

Since their have their own ecosystem built from scratch, a lot of lines are based on the same things Kanto Pokemon were based on, so the region has it's own dog, bat, mole, jellyfish, tadpole etc. but often with a twist that makes them distinctive from older mons.

Depending on your attitude that can either be the worst or the best thing to happen to the franchise.
>>
File: 691Dragalge[1].png (104KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
691Dragalge[1].png
104KB, 431x431px
>>28594038

What's so much better about gen 1 designs? Plenty of them look bland and forgettable next to newer pokes
>>
>>28590931
>actually thinking that being nostalgia blind is a good thing

You can appreciate what the first two gens managed to accomplish but still realize they weren't the greatest thing, Anon. If anything, you probably only think it's the golden age because of 'pokemania'.

It's time to let go. There is no golden age of Pokemon
>>
>>28590931
My favorite gen is 5, but I like gen 2 more than 1, 3 and 4, mainly die to nostalgia.
I played the games in order, but gen 2 is the obe I have more memories of. I still remember when me and my friends "discovered" Kanto, we were all excited and laughing when we saw "family size snorlax" in the route. I didn't know english back then, so it was a real surprise.

I fucking hate nostalgiafags though, especially those that claim that Pokemon stopped being good after the first gen, and that any pokemon past 150 is pure shit, while the first 150 are flawless. Fuck you if you're one of these fags
>>
File: 250px-108Lickitung.png (68KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-108Lickitung.png
68KB, 250x250px
>>28594674
Not him and I wouldn't use the term "better", but what I notice about gen.I designs is that there are more of them that look like actual monsters in RPG games or a blend of several animals compared to newer ones where they mostly take an interesting animal as a basis and draw it in anime style with minimal modifications.

What you posted is an excellent example of a such a new generation design.

Mind you, I'm not saying one is the better than the other, just trying to shed some light on what I believe makes older design distinctive in a way they could appeal to someone more than new ones.
>>
>People falling for this incredibly weak bait thread

Oh well, here's my contribution.
>>
>>28595004
I don't know. I don't think gen 1 and 2 as games are the golden age, but as far as socialness goes, Pokemania was the time to be a pokemon fan.
>>
File: 250px-016Pidgey[1].png (54KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-016Pidgey[1].png
54KB, 250x250px
>>28594960

>newer ones where they mostly take an interesting animal as a basis and draw it in anime style with minimal modifications.

That's half the pokemon in gen 1
>>
>>28595139
And still a lot smaller portion than it was in latest gens.
>>
File: latest[1].png (2MB, 1566x881px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2MB, 1566x881px
>>28595249

I would say the opposite is true. Newer gens take a lot more creative liberty with disigns, whereas gen 1 was mostly "it's a pigeon... it's a cat.... it's a seel... it's a caterpillar.... it's a bat... it's a duck...." with minimal changes
>>
>>28594960
>anime style with minimal modifications.
And putting Toriyama eyes on cartoony animals doesn't count as anime style?
I don't know why you people love trying to analyze art when you don't even have to most basic observational skills.
>>
>>28594635
thanks for clearing that up.

>>28594960
I pretty much can agree with what this anon said. eg. I love Lickitung's design. it's very authentic and interesting.
>>
Hi I like all the pokemon games for different reasons
>>
File: f2vg3cZ.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
f2vg3cZ.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>28595555
>5555
>likes ALL the games for different reasons

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>28595345
>I don't know why you people love trying to analyze art when you don't even have to most basic observational skills

Because I'm right.
>>
>>28595345
>video game designs
>art

Pick one.
>>
>>28595555
You're a godsend and a bro, anon. Same here.
dem quads tho
>>
>>28595555
Hey look! There is a decent person on this board!
>>
Gen 1 and 2 was the golden years of pokemon. It was everywhere, you could talk about it with anyone.

Plus, the games were tight. Gen 2 was gonna be the end of pokemon, that's why it has team rocket, going back to Konto and fighting Red.

Plus, since most pokemon were designed at the same time they all look cohecent. I miss the sprites and 8 bit music, no shitty plot with 10 legendaries, just a kid on an adventure
>>
File: 83f.gif (85KB, 450x523px) Image search: [Google]
83f.gif
85KB, 450x523px
>>28595964
You DO know what 'art' is, do you not, Anon? A drawing is art no matter what it is. It's still taking a pen, pencil, paint brush, or whatever else have you and creating something.
>>
>>28593150
>I loved gen 1, but gen 5 is my favorite
I feel like gen V is the closest any newer set of games has ever felt to being like gens I and II. From the feeling of exploring a whole new world, to the way the next game continue to build on the past story.

I don't understand how anyone feels like gen VI was pandering to people who loved gen I. It didn't feel at all like anything from there. Gen VI felt stale, recycling old pokemon for every route, with a self contained story and complete disrespect for what came before.

Gen VI has always felt like the gen made to attract new kids to the franchise, full of "THIS AIN'T YOUR DAD'S POKEMON, THEY ARE TOTALLY EXTREME!!" and "LOOK AT THESE MAXIMUM GRAPHIX, TOTALLY CUADRICULAR!!"
>>
>>28596118
>>
>>28595555
This Anon knows what's up.
>>
>>28596120
>gets BTFO
>proceeds to cover himself with pseudo-intellectual bullshit

I seriously hope you don't believe in your little definition of "art". It's embarrassing.
>>
>>28596202
Art shitposter-kun, please. Don't you have hundred dollar bills to wipe your ass with?
>>
File: mobile_system_gb_crystal.jpg (231KB, 500x633px) Image search: [Google]
mobile_system_gb_crystal.jpg
231KB, 500x633px
Huge nostalgiafag here. Saw all of the first four movies in theatres and played all the games (even the spinoffs like stadium, TCG, snap, etc.). Pokemon RBY weren't my first video games (SMB 3 on NES was), but I was never "into games" until Pokemon. It hooked me in a way nothing ever had before or since. 1998-2001 was truly the golden age of the franchise. It's wrong to think of it as two generations, because there was so much overlap and it was really just one extended "OG" generation for the franchise. I had grown out of it by the time gen 3 came out, and just wasn't a fan of the Hoenn designs and loss of trade capability with gen 2 (seen as a cynical cash grab by nintendo at the time so people would buy the Genius Sonority games to get Johto mon).

Crystal version got me through my parents' divorce and I'll always have extreme nostalgia for gens I&II. Part of it is because 2001 was such a seminal year in the life of everyone who lived through it. It was the cultural division between the carefree naiveté of the 90s and the paranoia of the post 9/11 world. The dot com bust happened at the same time, plus the end of the Clinton administration and the advent of the Bush years in what many felt was a stolen election. The end of Pokemania was just a side-product of all that and easily looked over at the time, but for those who loved this franchise from the beginning there was a clear shift in Pokemon's appeal and impact on the cultural milieu after 2001.
>>
File: Pokemon-GoldSeesHooh.jpg (366KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-GoldSeesHooh.jpg
366KB, 1920x1080px
>>28594505
So comfy.
I do revel in the nostalgia of the older games, but I do recognize how broken and shoddy it all was. I love them and I can always play them without issue, but there is no comparison to new games without the nostalgia. The fixed mechanics win out over how broken the Gameboy games were. At least you could glitch-fight the Safari Pokemon for an easy catch back then.
As much as I totally love Gen 2, I have to admit that originally and in HGSS there is the absolute worst levels for wild Pokemon. There is no defending that shit. Fucking wild level 16 Pokemon when I'm gonna go fight level 35-39s in the radio tower takeover. Takes forever to level up if you need to.

All the generations are really enjoyable. Anyone saying otherwise is a dumbass chump.
>>
>>28596393
Literally nothing wrong with the level scaling in gen 2. The levels are a bit low, but it makes for a very open game were you can go were you want after ecruteak. Besides, I recently played trough Crystal with a team of 6 and I never had to grind
>>
File: 1463959926215.jpg (25KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
1463959926215.jpg
25KB, 500x503px
>>28595555
Quads of truth
>>
>>28593724
Yeah, XY was surprising right off of B2W2. Hopefully it will just be an anomaly though and Sun and Moon will have some mature themes in the main game instead of just in the post-game.
>>
>>28591152
>>28591727
I WILL FUCK YOU TO DEATH
>>
>>28590931
Started with gen1. As a child gen2 had the best feeling especially with red. Gen1 was a nice start.
Gen 3 despite having only 2 friends I could interact with gave me the best feeling, because of hoenn beeing huge, totally new mons, contests and we always tried to figure out how to get to the older regions.
Gen IV was nice, with lore but never played it much, Gen V was first just meh don't like it and gen VI was the first were I actually tried to catch them all and played online.

But now I am replaying genV, while I just recently appreciate how good these whole new mon thing was compared to genVI, it is still a fucking awesome game with the best story and the 'changing the game a bit' which only gen2, gen3 did and now gen7 does.

Restarted BW2 and I love every aspect of it, too bad they didn't make ev training + breeding as easy as gen VI.
>>
Don't you just love it when fans delude themselves into thinking the games/series will somehow "grow up" alongside them? Too bad that's not the case, and they're just going to have to accept the fact that they will outgrow the franchise, assuming they haven't done so already. :^)
>>
File: large.jpg (268KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
268KB, 1280x851px
>>28599438
Sorry to break it to you, but 50% of people playing Pokemon are adults. Youkai watch has stolen the child audience away. Gamefreak had better start learning to appeal to the REAL target demographic.
>>
>>28591256

>It was a time when the game wasn't so kiddified and had actual substance. You could also immerse yourself in the world almost.

What you actually mean is, "I was a kid so it seemed less like it was kiddified, and since I was a kid it was a lot easier to immerse myself in the world".
>>
>>28590931
Why didn't they finish coloring this?
>>
>>28590931
Have been a fan since 1998. Had fun with every last game. No game was pure gold, no game was pure shit. All had strengths, all had flaws. Same for Pokémon designs. Some are awesome, some are stupid. If you don't have any fun anymore, don't be a fag and just quit. (I'm not saying you're not allowed to critisize, but if the last time you enjoyed the franchise was Gold/Silver, then it might be time to just let it go.)
>>
I'm sure there are genuine genwunners in this thread. This question is for you guys.

Did you actually like the games back in the day, or did you just like the popularity surrounding them? The idea that just about everyone has a common interest in something. It's attractive, isn't it? You will claim you really did like the series, but as soon as the popularity dropped, you dropped the franchise too. If you really liked it you would have continued playing even if your friends didn't care about it anymore, right? Why stop playing something you enjoy just because your friends don't like it anymore? That doesn't make sense. Did you shit on the games past gen 3 or maybe even 2 just so your opinion matched everyone else's and you wouldn't stand out?
>>
>>28591108
>>
File: 1428076257978.jpg (144KB, 673x759px) Image search: [Google]
1428076257978.jpg
144KB, 673x759px
>>28600022
Do you really think that anyone on /vp/ matches this description?
>>
>>28591850
Nice bait
>>
>>28600022
omg you guise if you are a TRUE star wars fan you cant just stop at the original trilogy. If you really liked it you would have kept watching and loving the prequels and the extended universe garbage!
>>
>>28596263
>Nintendo
>>
File: 1473901087880.png (126KB, 578x457px) Image search: [Google]
1473901087880.png
126KB, 578x457px
>>28591850
>>28594038
>>28594635
>>
I like all the games but of course Red and Gold are closest to my heart. I replay Red about every year. Bless you Tajiri.

Sun & Moon look great though. I'm so happy to see a little more passion out of Gamefreak.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.