[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I haven't really seen this mentioned anywhere, but I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 30

File: CHsrLeAUcAAgU3j.jpg (30KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
CHsrLeAUcAAgU3j.jpg
30KB, 1024x576px
I haven't really seen this mentioned anywhere, but I think Sabrina was intended to be the final Gym Leader in Gen I, and that Giovanni was a late addition. Like take a look at the evidence.
>The Japanese name for the Marsh Badge is the Gold Badge, and of the 9 original badges that went unused, the Gold Badge was the last
>Saffron City is the final city by index number in Gen I
>Saffron City is the final location choice when using Fly in Gen I
>Saffron City is Tokyo on a real world map of Kanto, the capital of Japan
>Saffron City is blocked off for a fair portion of the game, and it's possible that you weren't originally supposed to enter it until the endgame
>In Ken Sugimori's concept artwork for Red and Green, there's an unused Gym Leader and numbers indicating everyone's sequence. Sabrina is shown, but her number isn't, and it isn't 1-7
1 - Unused boy (presumably Viridian City)
2 - Brock
3 - Misty
4 - Lt. Surge
5 - Erika
6 - Koga
7 - Blaine
>Psychic-type Pokémon are the strongest in the game by a good margin, and would make for a fitting final Gym battle
>>
File: CHoGbKaUYAAsyg_.jpg (28KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
CHoGbKaUYAAsyg_.jpg
28KB, 1024x576px
>>
File: CH7gqmZUAAEM7kg.jpg (48KB, 758x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CH7gqmZUAAEM7kg.jpg
48KB, 758x1024px
>>28561074
>>
File: CH7g2daUkAAP4G-.jpg (63KB, 954x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CH7g2daUkAAP4G-.jpg
63KB, 954x1024px
>>
>>28561101
who is this?
>>
File: earlymap[1].png (1MB, 915x813px) Image search: [Google]
earlymap[1].png
1MB, 915x813px
Here's Kanto from the Capsule Monsters proposal. You can see each city (and Indigo Plateau) is given a number based on the sequence in which you visit it. Notably, Saffron City is listed as "T" (presumably for Terminal, as it's at the intersection of four routes, or Tokyo).

It's also notable that each route is named differently. Routes 9-3 and 9-4 became Route 18, but other than that, the old route sequence matches the used route sequence.
>>
Never heard this theory before, but it sounds plausible.

Maybe the showdown at Silphco was originally going to be at the end too.
>>
File: Cbzh4znUEAEM0N1[1].jpg (43KB, 807x240px) Image search: [Google]
Cbzh4znUEAEM0N1[1].jpg
43KB, 807x240px
>>28561151
It's the initial design for Blaine. He seemed to originally be associated with the military, or perhaps he was an explorer. In the Japanese guidebook for Red and Green, his old art was used, despite the fact that his in-game sprite made use of his modern design. The book was later updated with the second picture you see here.

Other forms of media have referenced this old design. The anime used the old hair and face, but they also gave him a disguise where he wore sunglasses, a mustache just like his modern design, and a wig. Pokémon Special did something similar.
>>
Fucking love Sugimori's old art and the water colouring looked fucking great.

Interesting thoughts OP, might be plausible.
>>
fuck saffron city was so comfy
>>
File: 1462847180371.png (72KB, 195x196px) Image search: [Google]
1462847180371.png
72KB, 195x196px
This sounds really cool. What made you think of this, OP? And where'd you find all these concepts?

Fucking love behind-the-scenes Gen 1 stuff.
>>
File: Nibi City.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Nibi City.png
7KB, 256x224px
Also, the Super Game Boy colors match each town's Japanese name if you want to hear more little facts. The Japanese name for each badge describes the color in English as well. Google each color as I post the images to see.
Nibi City - Grey Badge (aka Pewter City - Boulder Badge)
鈍色 (nibi-iro)
>>
File: Hanada City.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Hanada City.png
7KB, 256x224px
Hanada City - Blue Badge (aka Cerulean City - Cascade Badge)
縹色 (hanada-iro)

>>28561249
I was skulking Sugimori's Twitter a while back, just saving official art, and I'm also playing the ROM for Red in Japanese. I created a table file a while back for hex editing and so I could find the script of the game (years ago, I think I was the first English fan to find the unused badge names). At some point, it just all clicked why Saffron City was last.
>>
>>28561069
I dunno, it's a lot of circumstantial evidence.

Saffron could be the last index number because it was just programmed last, as it was the biggest and probably most complex city due to all the Silph events. Just like how Pokemon are in the index order they were programmed in (same for Gen III to an extent). There's even a few small map bugs you can notice in normal gameplay where Saffron does not properly overlap with the surrounding routes.
>>
File: Kuchiba City.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Kuchiba City.png
7KB, 256x224px
Kuchiba City - Orange Badge (aka Vermilion City - Thunder Badge)
朽葉色 (kuchiba-iro)
>>
File: Tamamushi City.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Tamamushi City.png
7KB, 256x224px
Tamamushi City - Rainbow Badge (aka Celadon City - Rainbow Badge)
玉虫色 (tamamushi-iro)
I really like this one because "tamamushi" refers to jewel beetles, which have deep green shells, but the light reflects off them in a rainbow, which is where "Rainbow Badge" comes from. As you can see in the screenshot, Celadon goes with a deep green.

>>28561287
I just figure there were so many things pointing to Saffron and Sabrina last that it was fair speculation, especially since the original first Gym Leader would have most likely been for Viridian City, which pushes Giovanni out of that role.
>>
File: Sekichiku City.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sekichiku City.png
8KB, 256x224px
Sekichiku City - Pink Badge (aka Fuchsia City - Soul Badge)
石竹色 (sekichiku-iro)
>>
File: Yamabuki City.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Yamabuki City.png
7KB, 256x224px
Yamabuki City - Gold Badge (aka Saffron City - Marsh Badge)
山吹色 (yamabuki-iro)
>>
>>28561324
Also, you may be interested in this, which was recently added to Bulbapedia:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Ruby_and_Sapphire_beta#Cries
>>
File: Shion Town.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Shion Town.png
8KB, 256x224px
Shion Town (aka Lavender Town)
紫苑色 (shion-iro)

I know most people know that even the English town names refer to their in-game color (I've never played a Gen I game on a GBC, so I don't know if the colors differ), but I like that Game Freak put this much thought into it. Makes me wonder what came first: the badge names, town names, or town colors?
>>
File: Tokiwa City.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Tokiwa City.png
8KB, 256x224px
Tokiwa City (aka Viridian City)
常磐色 (tokiwa-iro)
Also afraid to report that since I haven't reached Cinnabar Island or Indigo Plateau yet, I can't really show any screenshots, but you get the idea.

>>28561388
I remember listening to those on TCRF. One day, I would like to just completely disassemble Japanese Red and Green. Sort everything into their various categories
>Used ASM
>Used text
>Used sound/music
>Used maps
>Used graphics
and see what's left.
>>
File: Masara Town.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Masara Town.png
7KB, 256x224px
And of course, Masara Town (aka Pallet Town).
According to Bulbapedia, it says that it may come from 真っ白 (masshiro, meaning pure white). This would make sense, based on what it looks like on a Super Game Boy.
>>
File: 1470869009681.gif (1MB, 1020x980px) Image search: [Google]
1470869009681.gif
1MB, 1020x980px
Really interesting thread OP.
A nice break from the threads we see everyday here.
I wish I knew jap so I could find such details and figure out the thought behind them.
>>
>>28561069
>9 badges
>9 titles such as Egg, Chick, Bronze-Gold, Captain and Master
Could it be that you originally got a badge at the start of your journey and collected more to increase your rank? The unused badge names seem like they can be matched up to the gym leaders too.

>Brock: Jizou badge (Jizou being Buddha statues made out of rock)
>Misty: Shell Badge
>Surge: Lightning Badge
>Erika: Rose/Cool Badge?
>Koga: Rose/Cool Badge?
>Blaine: Fireball Badge
>Sabrina: Gold Badge

Considering that the Friendship badge seems likely to have been obtained at the start or outside of gyms, the remaining one is the Falcon Badge, making it likely that the original first gym leader used Flying-types, much like Falkner.
>>
File: ClIJ3UeUkAAxiJr.jpg (281KB, 1463x2048px) Image search: [Google]
ClIJ3UeUkAAxiJr.jpg
281KB, 1463x2048px
>>28561518
Thanks, have this totally unnamed character that Sugimori drew.

Now if you want REAL conjecture, here are my thoughts on her name.
Default names for male protagonist (Red/Green) and rival (Green/Red)
>Red/Green (color)
>Satoshi/Shigeru (significant person involved with Game Freak during the development of the games)
>Jack/John (simple English name beginning with J)

Female character was first shown on the back of the Nintendo guidebook for Red and Green in April 1996, before Blue was even announced, so I don't know if "Blue" is an appropriate name for her since she was thought up before that game. However, she is shown standing next to a starter (colored red, green, and blue) like the male protagonist and rival, so Blue might be fair game.

So how about
>Blue
>Atsuko (after Atsuko Nishida, the sole female working at Game Freak during Red and Green and also the designer for such Pokémon as Pikachu and the Eevee line, etc.)
>Jane (I'd suggest Jean (ジーヌ/ジーン; Jiinu/Jiin), but that would be redundant English spelling with ジャン (Jan; Jean) in Blue, and Jane is also very plain like Jack and John)
>>
>>28561069
Maybe they realised that Viridian was too early for a Gym, and so they made that the last one instead.

Traveling the region before entering the big city for the final battle would have been cool.
>>
>>28561627
More fun stuff you dug up huh?
I appreciate the drawing and the name ideas.
>>
Man, imagine pokemon starting in 1990.
>>
>>28561558
The specific ordering for the unused badges in Japanese are
>Thunder Badge
>Shell Badge
>Ojizo Badge
>Falcon Badge
>Cool Badge
>Friendship Badge
>Rose Badge
>Fireball Badge
>Gold Badge
The only one here that's a Japanese transliteration of an English word is the Gold Badge, while the rest have Japanese names. The question, of course, is whether these badges are sequential, or just ordered haphazardly like many other Gen I things. "Gold Badge" definitely sounds like a grand prize compared to the rest. "Cool" (aka hin'yari) means to "feel pleasantly cool", in reference to temperature, so it might be safe to assume it was an Ice Gym. Rose is Grass, Fireball is Fire, Falcon is Flying, Thunder is Electric, Shell is water (Kaigara refers to seashells), and Ojizo being rock makes sense. I do think it could be other things as well, since
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kshitigarbha
could even be Psychic if we're talking about the full extent of the lore.

But I personally think that these badges existed before the Gym Leaders we know (and even the one we don't know) did. If boy Gym Leader still existed, I would think that his type specialty would be either
>Flying (since Pidgey and Spearow are nearby)
>Normal (Pidgey, Rattata, and Spearow are nearby, but this seems more of a Flying team than Normal)
>Bug

I think Bug is probably the most likely one, since you probably wouldn't be able to reach Viridian Forest before beating him (and you can't go to Mt. Moon to catch a Geodude before battling Brock), he can have Butterfree and Beedrill at level 10 (which is weaker than Brock) and he fits the Japanese kid stereotype of catching bugs and having them fight.
>>
File: Unused badges and classes.png (16KB, 682x164px) Image search: [Google]
Unused badges and classes.png
16KB, 682x164px
>>28561798
Oh yeah, forgot image.
>>
>>28561069
It's strange how similar this unused boy's pose is to Giovanni in the final game. Perhaps he was going to be the first gym leader and be a Ground type user, but was then reworked into Giovanni instead.
>>
>>28561875
I don't see where he could get a Ground-type so early in the game, and it would be somewhat redundant with both Brock's Pokémon being Ground/Rock. The rest of the Gym Leaders probably maintain their typing, so it's mostly looking at Flying, Bug, Normal, Ghost (unlikely), Fighting (unlikely), Ice (unlikely), and Dragon (unlikely).
>>
>>28561558
Where did you get the names of those titles from?
>>
>>28561798
Him having butterfree and beedrill would actually fit really well with their role in the game of show casing how evolutions work early on. The player would enter the fight and see these cool new bug Pokemon and be like "I want one of those!" and then they enter viridian forest soon after and get caterpie/needle and are able to quickly level them and see them evolve.
>>
>>28561907
>>28561804
たまご (Tamago; Egg)
ひよこ (Hiyoko; Chick)
ブロンズ (Buronzu; Bronze)
シルバー (Shirubaa; Silver)
ゴールド (Goorudo; Gold)
プチキャプテン (Puchi Kyaputen; Petite Captain)
キャプテン (Kyaputen; Captain)
プチマスター (Puchi Masutaa; Petite Master)
マスター (Masutaa; Master)
エクセレント (Ekuserento; Excellent)
>>
File: lovethisthread.jpg (22KB, 444x366px) Image search: [Google]
lovethisthread.jpg
22KB, 444x366px
Awesome thread OP. Love this stuff.
>>
>>28561101
So...why the heck are there so many army references in gen1? Was pokemon especially we never saw something army related? Was this after a pokemon war?
>>
>>28561069
Yeah probably. I bet the first gym was meant to be Bug too, judging by the colour viridian and the Earth Badge.
He would've had
Metapod lv10
Pinsir lv12
>>
File: 4597225_p0.jpg (279KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
4597225_p0.jpg
279KB, 667x1000px
>>28561875
You might be on to something. Geographically, Viridian should be the first gym but you walk right past it, right? It wouldn't surprise me if it really was meant to be the first gym at some point in development.
>>
>>28562786
So you're saying the Samurai was the first gym leader? I could see that.

But Pinsir has really hid stats, even if it would have vicegrip.

The point of Onix was it's stats befitting a first boss, having an obscene defense stat with bide so you can't just tackle your way to victory
>>
>>28561388
>Pokémon Sapphire contains some unused Trainer data for Archie, the leader of Team Aqua. According to the data, he was planned to be battled at some point where his team consists of a level 17 Huntail and a level 17 Sharpedo. He is also carrying two Super Potions. This may indicate that Archie was originally planned to be encountered earlier in the game and was intended to appear with a drastically different sort of team.
Why didn't we get this? Or in ORAS?
>>
Any clever, creative /vp/oreons feel like putting together sprites for Viridian Boy? Might be cool
>>
>>28561069
7 badges. Viridian city was first, art suggests it and it's gym comes before the rest.

Psychic added in later, Giovanni replaced the first and moved to 8th. Blaine became fire type leader.
>>
>>28562580
Ultra Beast War
>>
>>28561069
Actually seems legit. I wonder if that boy was going to be her little brother since they have the same taste in badges.
>>
>>28561627
How old is this picture? The artstyle seems relatively recent.
>>
>>28561069
>>28561074
>>28561090
>>28561101

Looking at these makes me feel like the original ideas behind gyms were less "League appointed leaders" and more "Average people who wanted a sanctioned facility in their city for people to train." Makes it feel like a real-life gym.

I wonder if they ever thought about the idea of having 2 competing gyms in the same city.
>>
>>28568491
>I wonder if they ever thought about the idea of having 2 competing gyms in the same city.

Wasn't the karate school in gen 1 Saffron city's former gym?
>>
>>28564295
>hid
You mean high, right?
At early levels Pinsir would steamroll a team of lvl 10 with just Tackle since its Attack is 125 and its Defense is 100. Spearow wouldn't be able to take it out with Peck.
Having Vicegrip would make the battle a slaughter.
>>
>>28568601
Oh wow, I forgot about that. Damn, talk about corporate takeover.

At least it gave you a reward though.
>>
>>28568690
It's similar to Bugsy and his Scyther. Only difference is, they made it use Fury Cutter and Quick Attack. I remember Scyther capable of balling out of control rather quickly if you let it use Fury Cutter enough.
>>
>>28568347
https://twitter.com/super_32x/status/743667756738842625
He doesn't say anything about who he drew, instead describing what he used to draw it.

>>28564295
Well, he wouldn't really be the Samurai since that was an anime thing, just probably a Bug-type trainer.

>>28562786
>>28561431
Forgot to mention
Tokiwa City - Green Badge (aka Viridian City - Earth Badge)
常磐色 (tokiwa-iro)
Particularly relevant because Green becomes the Gym Leader in Gen II.

And
Guren Town - Crimson Badge (aka Cinnabar Island - Volcano Badge)
Guren (紅蓮) refers to the crimson lotus flower instead of just crimson (紅色 (kurenai-iro)).
But you could basically call each location by their badge name.
>Grey City
>Blue City
>Orange City
>Rainbow City
>Pink City
>Gold City
>Crimson Town
>Green City
If Pallet Town had a badge, it would most likely be called the White Badge (ホワイトバッジ) in Japanese.
>>
>>28569090
>He doesn't say anything about who he drew, instead describing what he used to draw it.
Ahh ok, thanks for the response.
>>
File: 1471034878756.gif (1019KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1471034878756.gif
1019KB, 500x281px
>instead of misty and brock we were just a few choices away from having viridian boy and brock, maybe viridian boy and misty instead of those two
>>
File: 20100313213559f5c.jpg (369KB, 1432x1026px) Image search: [Google]
20100313213559f5c.jpg
369KB, 1432x1026px
>>28565875
The badge thing was everywhere in Gen I. Both Red and Green are shown wearing those little circular badges with different actual badges placed on them across all the various pictures. Red wears his on his hat.

If anyone wants some Carddass art (courtesy of 2ch's ongoing Ken Sugimori art threads), here it is.
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img003.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img004.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img005.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img006.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img007.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img008.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img009.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img010.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img011.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img012.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img013.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img014.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img015.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img016.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img017.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img018.jpg
http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img021.jpg
>>
>>28569246
>http://www.prguitarman.com/photos/2009/PR/Pokemon/A/Cardass/myscan/img006.jpg
>Nidoking's horn was supposed to spin
Huh
>>
>>28561069
I love this thread, thank you. I'm interested in Gen 1's development period myself, and I'm currently researching the missing 39 Pokemon that were cut from the final game. I'm making a thread with my discoveries as soon as I wrap it up.

Oh, by the way, Wartortle wasn't supposed to evolve into Blastoise.
>>
>>28561976
So... that's a pokemon master?
>>
>>28561155
I wonder what's up with this "C" area in the middle of the Tokyo Bay.
>>
>>28561074
>Lt. Surge was originally French
>>
>>28569246
Thanks for sharing these, it's fun to see art like this. These feels like each pokemon were designed with their own little gimmick. That poor Psyduck.

>>28569526
Agreed, it's really fun to see how the thought processes of the Developers changed over time either based on the way it looks or even because they thought the game would be too inaccessible to average player.
>>
>>28569246
And just to point out the attacks they're using
>Bulbasaur - Leech Seed
>Ivysaur - Razor Leaf
>Venusaur - Vine Whip
>Charmander - Ember
>Charmeleon - Slash
>Charizard - Flamethrower
>Squirtle - Withdraw
>Wartortle - Skull Bash
>Blastoise - Hydro Pump
>Caterpie - String Shot
>Metapod - Harden
>Butterfree - Poison Powder
>Weedle - Poison Sting
>Kakuna - Harden
>Beedrill - Pin Missile
>Pidgey - Sand-Attack
>Pidgeotto - Wing Attack
>Pidgeot - Agility
>Rattata - Focus Energy
>Raticate - Super Fang
>Spearow - Leer
>Fearow - Drill Peck
>Ekans - Leer
>Arbok - Acid
>Pikachu - Thunder
>Raichu - Thunder Shock
>Sandshrew - Sand-Attack
>Sandslash - Poison Sting
>Nidoran-F - Growl
>Nidorina - Bite
>Nidoqueen - Poison Sting
>Nidoran-M - Leer
>Nidorino - Focus Energy
>Nidoking - Horn Drill
>Clefairy - Pound
>Clefable - Metronome
>Vulpix - Tail Whip
>Ninetales - Roar
>Jigglypuff - Sing
>Wigglytuff - Disable
>Zubat - Supersonic
>Golbat - Wing Attack
>Oddish - Sleep Powder
>Gloom - Solar Beam
>Vileplume - Petal Dance
>Paras - Leech Life
>Parasect - Spore
>Venonat - Poison Powder
>Venomoth - Psychic
>Diglett - Dig
>Dugtrio - Earthquake
>Meowth - Pay Day
>Persian - Slash
>Psyduck - Scratch
>Golduck - Confusion
>Mankey - Karate Chop
>Primeape - Thrash
>Growlithe - Ember
>Arcanine - Leer
>Poliwag - Hypnosis
>Poliwhirl - Water Gun
>Poliwrath - Double Slap
>Abra - Teleport
>Kadabra - Psybeam
>Alakazam - Reflect
>Machop - Low Kick
>Machoke - Seismic Toss
>Machamp - Mega Kick
>Bellsprout - Vine Whip
>Weepinbell - Acid
>Victreebel - Razor Leaf
>Tentacool - Supersonic
>Tentacruel - Constrict
>Geodude - Rock Throw
>Graveler - Harden
>Golem - Explosion
>Ponyta - Fire Spin
>Rapidash - Agility
>Slowpoke - Growl
>Slowbro - Amnesia
>Magnemite - Thunder Shock
>Magneton - Supersonic
>Farfetch'd - Swords Dance
>Doduo - Growl
>Dodrio - Tri Attack
>Seel - Rest
>Dewgong - Ice Beam
>Grimer - Poison Gas
>Muk - Sludge
>Shellder - Supersonic
>Cloyster - Spike Cannon
>Gastly - Night Shade
>>
>>28569562
Thats diglet cave
>>
>>28569246
That picture of Metapod really hammers home that Butterfree and Venomoth were switched at some point. Besides the lower body, you can even see Venomoth's horn developing inside the cocoon.
>>
>>28569640
>Haunter - Hypnosis
>Gengar - Dream Eater
>Onix - Rage
>Drowzee - Hypnosis
>Hypno - Meditate
>Krabby - Guillotine
>Kingler - Crabhammer
>Voltorb - Light Screen
>Electrode - Explosion
>Exeggcute - Barrage
>Exeggutor - Stomp
>Cubone - Growl
>Marowak - Bonemerang
>Hitmonlee - Jump Kick
>Hitmonchan - Counter
>Lickitung - Slam
>Koffing - Self-Destruct
>Weezing - Haze
>Rhyhorn - Focus Energy
>Rhydon - Take Down
>Chansey - Sing
>Tangela - Constrict
>Kangaskhan - Dizzy Punch
>Horsea - Smokescreen
>Seadra - Water Gun
>Goldeen - Supersonic
>Seaking - Horn Drill
>Staryu - Swift
>Starmie - Water Gun
>Mr. Mime - Barrier
>Scyther - Swords Dance
>Jynx - Lovely Kiss
>Electabuzz - Thunder Punch
>Magmar - Flamethrower
>Pinsir - Guillotine
>Tauros - Take Down
>Magikarp - Splash
>Gyarados - Hyper Beam
>Lapras - Sing
>Ditto - Transform
>Eevee - Tail Whip
>Vaporeon - Mist
>Jolteon - Pin Missile
>Flareon - Fire Spin
>Porygon - Tri Attack
>Omanyte - Water Gun
>Omastar - Spike Cannon
>Kabuto - Harden
>Kabutops - Slash
>Aerodactyl - Wing Attack
>Snorlax - Double-Edge
>Articuno - Blizzard
>Zapdos - Thunder Shock
>Moltres - Sky Attack
>Dratini - Bind
>Dragonair - Dragon Rage
>Dragonite - Hyper Beam
>Mewtwo - Psychic
>Mew - Metronome
>>
>>28569834
Nice catch there, you could definitely see the connection between the 3-pronged top part of Metapod and the horn of Venomoth.
>>
File: 20090610221344[1].jpg (209KB, 1200x437px) Image search: [Google]
20090610221344[1].jpg
209KB, 1200x437px
>>28569980
>>28569834
I'm a little hesitant to take that as evidence because this art was probably drawn from 1996-1997 judging by the 1997 on the back of them, and Red and Green finished development in late October/early November of 1995. By 1997, you'd think that Sugimori wouldn't be drawing Metapod to look like Venomoth. However, this was still around the time that Charmander had ridges on its back, and Pikachu had a white stomach, and these design traits would stick until the anime premiered in April 1997.
>>
>>28570263
Well, it really is a non-issue in the end. I wouldn't be surprised if they realized it after the fact and just didn't care.

Thinking about it, I wonder if Karrablast and Shellmut were nods to this seeing how Gen5 was supposed to be completely inspired by Gen1? They were trade evolutions that completely exchanged features when evolving.
>>
>>28570263
Really? Never really seen Charmander with the ridges.
>>
File: Spr_1g_004[1].png (501B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
Spr_1g_004[1].png
501B, 56x56px
>>28570741
See >>28569246
and pic related

What's also interesting is that Charizard used to have one horn.
>>
File: TLEGAIR[1].png (18KB, 512x320px) Image search: [Google]
TLEGAIR[1].png
18KB, 512x320px
>>28570905
And its back sprite at its regular resolution instead of the blown-up back sprites of Gen I to symbolize how close it is to you.
>>
>>28570905
>>28570969
Oh, I can notice it. Nice stuff.

Lots of the answers in the thread are mine. I really liked it. Thanks again.
>>
>>28569834
Caterpie's and Venomoth's eyes are the same color too. As are Venonat's and Butterfree's.
>>
File: Beedrill.png (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Beedrill.png
7KB, 256x224px
>>28570969
And something to point out with the back sprites here that is also in the games
>Beedrill is two pixels above normal (meaning it floats above the text box)
>Raticate/Raichu/Wigglytuff/Dugtrio/Growlithe/Ponyta/Porygon are one pixel below normal (meaning the bottom line of the sprite is covered by the text box)
>Electabuzz is two pixels below normal (meaning the bottom two lines are covered)
>Diglett/Geodude/Electrode/Goldeen/Tauros are one pixel above normal (most likely intentional except for Goldeen and Tauros)
>Articuno's bottom line isn't fully drawn

But man, Beedrill has been really annoying to use because it sticks out how far above it is in battle.

>>28571047
Glad you're enjoying it.

>>28571321
Venonat has noticeably compound eyes (and I don't mean the ability, but the actual appearance) in Gen I, both the sprites and early artwork, while Butterfree's can't be seen (though being an insect, of course it would have them). Butterfree is also somewhere between blue and indigo on the Super Game Boy and in its older artwork, while Venonat is completely purple in both. Beedrill also has red eyes similar to Butterfree's in its artwork, just shaped slightly differently..
>>
>>28561558
>Viridian gym leader use flying type
THAT'S WHY THAT FUCKING BADGE LOOKS LIKE A FEATHER
>>
File: pho1[1].jpg (15KB, 302x430px) Image search: [Google]
pho1[1].jpg
15KB, 302x430px
>>28572970
It actually meant to look like a sakaki tree, which is used in Shintoism. Sakaki is also Giovanni's Japanese name.
>>
>>28561627
She has a name, her design was used in the Pokemon Adventures manga series.
>>
File: 140px-FireRed_LeafGreen_Leaf.png (60KB, 140x334px) Image search: [Google]
140px-FireRed_LeafGreen_Leaf.png
60KB, 140x334px
>>28561627
>>28573457
I hate you people
>>
File: badgegroundkanto.gif (2KB, 81x100px) Image search: [Google]
badgegroundkanto.gif
2KB, 81x100px
>>28573396
Gen 1 Earth badge is a feather too and you know it
>>
>>28561069
>Saffron City is the final city by index number in Gen I

This actually means that Sabrina and Saffron were a late addition, because index number is the order in which things were added to the game.
>>
>>28573457
>>28573506
Game Freak has never given her an official name. Her default names in FRLG are
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Leaf_(game)#Names
Of those,
>Green is the canon name for the rival, shared as an option with the male protagonist and rival)
>Red is the canon name for the male protagonist, shared as an option with the male protagonist and rival)
>Kiyomi is a female default name in Crystal, later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Satoko is a female default name in Crystal, later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Chiho is a female default name in Crystal, later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Kyouko is a female default name in Ruby/Sapphire, later used as a female default name in Emerald/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
>Makiko is a female default name in Ruby/Sapphire, later used as a female default name in Emerald/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)

Leaving
>Leaf (shared with male protagonist)
>Fire (shared with male protagonist)
>Mikiko (later used as female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Michiko (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
>Junko (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Ayako
>Rie (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Setsuko (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Yukiko (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
>Mamina (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Norie
>Hisae (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
>Momoko (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>Misuzu (later used as a female default name in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)
>>
>>28573396
Nah it's a feather
>>
>>28569526
>Oh, by the way, Wartortle wasn't supposed to evolve into Blastoise.
source?

I know Blastoise was one of the first pokemon and it didnt even have cannons while squirtle and wartortle came late in development. Also wartortle is based on the minogame legend while blastoise is not. Anyway, neither of these seem strong enough reasons to claim that wartortle wasnt supposed to evolve into blastoise. I'm interested in hearing how you reached that conclusion...
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.