[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did GF expect anyone to catch 'em all in Gen 1 without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Gen_I_Pokedex.png (19KB, 403x186px) Image search: [Google]
Gen_I_Pokedex.png
19KB, 403x186px
How did GF expect anyone to catch 'em all in Gen 1 without the breeding mechanics? To get a living dex in Gen 1, you'd need like 13 copies of the game.
>>
>13 copies
How?

Also they expected you to trade
>>
>>28451653
Catching them all just consists of completing the PokeDex, not having a LivingDex.

You technically have them all if you evolved all the available mon all the way up because you've had every single mon at every stage possible. The LivingDex is just an additional challenge for people since thanks TO breeding, is theoretically possible now.
>>
They expected you to have friends.
>>
I don't think anyone ever thought about living dexes back then

catching em all just involved having them registered in your pokedex, not having one of everything
>>
>>28451653

Trading and cheating
>>
>>28451682
>>28451685
>>28451690

Need 9 copies for each stage of starter. 4 of those would give you the fossilmons' stages. 4 copies for each Eevee stage. 2 for each Hitmon. I did count wrong, though, as I added the fossils and starter numbers when I forgot that 4 of the 9 could give you what you need. So you need 9 copies in total.

It also ignores that Mew was impossible to get.
>>
File: 1472204587482.gif (6KB, 165x165px) Image search: [Google]
1472204587482.gif
6KB, 165x165px
>Have two copies of the game
>Start Red, pick Charmander, trade it to Blue, restart Red and pick Bulbasaur to have all 3 starters
>Pick opposite fossils, opposite Hitmons, trade for exclusives, get all mutual exclusive duos

>You still have to restart around mid-game to have 3 Eevees for all the Eeveelutions
You need 4~ playthroughs among two games to get them all, one is restarted 10 minutes in for the starter and the other is for Eevee. Otherwise nothing too impossible

>>28451752
>not just getting a specific Pokemon and resetting
Retarded.
>>
>>28451752

Mew is really easy to get though.

Though no one knew at the time.

Also you just needed two copies. You restarted the game to get things.

Back then we restarted a lot though honestly. The game didn't really have as much worth saving as it does now.
>>
>>28451752
You can have Pokemon Yellow and get all three starters.
>>
>>28451653
>Not knowing how to do the clone glitch in Gen 1
You have to be 18 to post here, you know?
>>
>>28451846
I used the clone glitch for free legendaries. My point was doing it legitimately. That's why I ignored any reply mentioning cheating or glitching.
>>
>>28451846

I can't remember if that one was known at the time. The GSC one was but I can't remember cloning Pokemon in gen1. Wasn't that a later glitch like the Mew glitch?

Items on the other hand is a different story.
>>
>>28451779
>You need 4~ playthroughs
>>i somehow forgot that you'd probably want to get an Eevee and a starter on the same playthrough
It's more like 3, but still

>>28451836
>>28451846
If you're gonna clone, abuse the Mew glitch or use Yellow you might as well just use GSC and breed.
>>
File: 1459624272465.gif (2MB, 170x123px) Image search: [Google]
1459624272465.gif
2MB, 170x123px
>>28451690
Savage, m8
>>
Catching em all was always a flawed idea in gen 1.
Needing all the starters from their base stages meant having another copy start over twice just to trade the starter over was not a well thought out system
Its almost as if gen 1 was built by amateurs who hadnt figured out what they're doing yet.
>>
>>28451869
Nah, you could clone Pokemon through trading in Gen 1. My brother and I did it all the time back then. Basically, you could trade a mon with some trash and part-way through I think one party had to power off the gameboy and then the other. Once you load back up, you both had the good Mon and the trash was deleted.
>>
>>28451881
>Using Yellow is equivalent to cheating and glitching
You brought up the question of completing a living dex in Gen 1, Yellow is gen 1. It cuts down the bullshit and the difficulty of completing a dex, meaning you don't need to do three fucking playthroughs, or trade with half a dozen people.
>>
>>28451653
That's simple, Anon.

The game was made in Japan, where people actually get out and get together for this kind of thing.
>>
>>28451653
What was the point of getting a living dex in Gen 1? When it was made, no one knew it was gonna be as successful as it was, or that a new one was on the way. You completed the Pokedex, you completed it.

The whole point of a living dex is to transfer to the next game to speed along the process and not have to do everything over again and again.
>>
>>28451920
Pokemon Stadium is also gen 1; why not just rush through Gym Leader castle to get all the gift Pokemon on a single cart?

If we're gonna discuss self-imposed challenges they might as well be interesting. I'm not OP but "How do you get a living dex when only the first two games are out" is a lot more interesting than "How do you get a living dex in gen 1".
>>
>>28451653
ok youngster, his wasn't this new booty way of playing video games where its easy to win everything and everything is handed to you. this was 96, video games still had some, and thats a big some, dignity left.
>>
>>28451971
Well that wasn't the question OP asked. If you want to discuss "How do you get a living dex with only the first two games" then sure, a bunch of runs through two games, or half a dozens copies work, but as OP asked, if you want a living dex in gen 1, then Yellow helps cut down a ton of the trouble.

Besides, it's not a self-imposed challenge, OP is clearly asking how kids were expected to do such a thing back then, and the easiest answer is "trading with friends"
>>
>>28451995
You moron. I WAS playing in '96.
>>
Mew wasn't impossible to get unless you were Midwest human garbage. Toys r us's common on the coasts gave them out.
>>
>>28452026
then wtf are you complaining about
we played SNES zelda 1 and we liked it
you literally cannot lose a pokemon game this is as easy as it gets
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.