[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you give your pokemon nicknames ? I never do it, I usually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 15

File: Nickname.png (25KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Nickname.png
25KB, 320x240px
Do you give your pokemon nicknames ? I never do it, I usually like their default names, and even if a nickname may sound cool sometimes, it always turns ridiculous after some time and I always regret it.

On the other hand, I have noticed that almost everyone is giving their pocket monsters nicknames, so I was just wondering if I was the only one who doesn't.
>>
I have a hard time doing it because I feel like I need to name them all or none of them. Although I don't care about my dex in Pokemon Go so I ended up naming some of them.
>>
Sometimes. Usually pretty lame though. Like my Piplup is called Pingu.
>>
No, I would never humiliate my Pokémon by doing something so cringe-inducing and embarassing.
>>
>>28358486
That's also my problem, if I name one of them, I have to name all of them
>Gotta name them all

At least the ones in my main team. I don't play Pokémon Go though
>>
>>28358470
Just some of them, like my shiny Luxray and my team.
>>
Only on nuzlocke runs. Serious names only, so that it hurts more when they die
>>
>>28358591
You have an example of what you call a serious name ?
>>
>>28358470
Only for wifi battles, never during the main game.
>>
>>28358470
No
>>
During my first play through, no.

When I am comfortable enough with their actual names, sure, why not?
>>
>>28358502
So you call your dog, dog?
>>
>>28358502
Did your parents name you "Baby" Is your name "Man". Do you find it "cringe" that people name their boats or countries?
>>
>>28358470
My playthrough team gets nicknames because bros. No nicknames for the living dex though.
>>
>>28358745
Boats yes, countries no. The latter is necessary for a lot of reasons. The former is just a weird attachment to an inanimate object, but I wouldn't say that reasoning counts for Pokémon.
>>
>>28358745
>being this triggered
>>
>>28358470
I always nickname mine. I feel more attached to them that way.
>>
Named my male Gothita, Aerosmith
>>
>>28358773
>being this triggered
>>
I've only nicknamed the 24 mons I've bred for IVs and natures and stuff, and EV trained.

I haven't nicknamed shinies or any mon in my separate living dex, because those need to remain pure.
>>
Yes

helps me become more attached over the course of a playthrough
>>
File: te.jpg (77KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
te.jpg
77KB, 1280x960px
I name everything. If I like the pokemon a lot or I plan on using it on my team I'll spend some time thinking of a good name for it. If it's just random bullshit that I caught for the dex/for fun then I'll just name it the first thing that comes to my head. Usually any name I give to a pokemon will stick after a while and if it doesn't I can always go to the name rater.

My favorite legendaries (Like Giratina) are an exception because I really like their names. If I get more than one I'll name the second one because I hate having multiple pokemon with the same name.
>>
>>28358470
I only use nicknames on nuzlocke runs and on Showdown

Other than that yes I feel the same way as you OP. I get embarassed by the nicknames as time goes on.
>>
>>28358745

not an equivalence you silly boy, it would maybe make sense if the only thing you could say was 'man' and your literal species was 'man' (which it isn't)

pokemons names are both their species and their cry, it makes sense to have a different standard as such
>>
File: 1472536595969.png (284KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472536595969.png
284KB, 800x800px
I try to nickname whenever possible.
>VC run of Blue: nicknamed lots of 'mons after other things I had been watching or playing at the time (Gengar is called Spooky after X-Files, Machamp is called Cantor after a 4-armed enemy in Xenoblade X)
>nickname a lot of Pokes in ways that mirror their original naming; a Porygon might be called Tectsure or Wierfreme
>sometimes just give names that I think sound good; Gilligan for a Mudkip in AlphaSapphire

Currently naming everything I catch in AlphaSapphire in a very specific way.
>Males: keep the first half of the name, then end on the next consonant
Nidorino = Nidor. Nidoking = Nidok.
>Females: cut the first half of the name but keep the last consonant of the first half.
Nidorina = Orina. Nidoqueen = Oqueen.
>Non-gendered: cut the first and last consonant (or syllable, depending on what I like better)
Magnemite = Gnemi. Voltorb = Oltor.
Fuckin' autistic, I know.
>>
>>28358470
All the time.
>>
I never nickname
>>
>>28358726
This is a game, not real life
>>
>naming your dog "dog"
>>
>>28358745
Getting so mad about something so unimportant
>>
>>28358470
bulbapedo ftfy*
>>
>>28359822
>not nicknaming your dog Doggy Dog-Dog Junior
>>
I always name the ones I pretend to use after a character from JJBA.
I know it's faggy and unoriginal.
>>
>>28359816
The same goes for the autist that thinks giving them nicknames is humiliating and embarrassing for the mon. They're just data, they don't give a fuck.
>>
>>28358726
>>28358745
>Triggered
>>
>>28359816
And the sky is blue
>>
>>28359892
>Triggered
>>
>>28358601
Yeah, I usually go for a theme. Last nuzlocke run I named everyone after ancient Greek authors of architectural theory. Before that I named them all after prominent figures in the Soviet Space Program.

Only for Nuzlockes though, I never nickname my Pokemon otherwise--their normal names are correct to me. Nicknaming makes me frown.

>RIP Kalllikrates
>>
I nickname every poke I catch.

E V E R Y
L A S T
O N E
>>
>>28359833
You're the one in the first place who gets so overworked about giving a nickname to some imaginary super animal, chill out and let others nickname their shit. Also I don't understand how nicknaming pokémon is autistic but play a children's game in the first place is ok
>>
>>28359771
Just name them James or Lily or something what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>28359999
PRAISE
>>
>>28359999
Quads have spoken, nicknaming every single pokemon is the only correct way.
>>
File: 461Weavile_DP_anime.png (73KB, 546x757px) Image search: [Google]
461Weavile_DP_anime.png
73KB, 546x757px
I nickname my Pokemon after mythological or religious entities
I once had a Nuzlocke of Platinum and a Weavile named Angra Mainyu was the star of my team
>>
Always, I feel bad if I don't. I just chose a syllable of the pokemon and I repeat it, but I don't change it if it evolved.
For example, my Delphox is nicknamed Kiki because fenneKIn, also a reference to that ghibli movie.
>>
>>28359974
>Triggered for being triggered
>>
I only feel comfortable nicknaming when I come up with original, nice-sounding names so I don't end up with shit like Sparky.

This means I have to create nicknames for the entire dex before I play the game, and I'm doing it now for SM
>>
I know people who are giving there pokemon cool names but I nickname all my pokemon but i give them names like 69 penisring and vibrator but my team is called (sceptile-fotosynthese delcaty-skittle latios-catfish rayquaza-MH17 milotic (random encounter shiny female feebas)-katrina (cuz the song walking on sunshine) and my wailord-potvolvis (spermwailed are called potvis in dutch and a vis is fish a pot is a jar vol is full so jarfullvis/potvolvis cuz its looks like potvis))
>>
>>28360149
>Triggered for being triggered for being triggered
>>
>>28360178
>Triggered for being triggered for being triggered for being triggered
>>
>>28360204
>triggered for being triggered for being triggered for being triggered for being triggered
>>
>>28360161
I think I remember you.
If I'm not wrong, I like Mercury for the Nidoking line.
>>
I nicknamed a skarmory x-com because I can't believe how can 90% accuracy steel wing miss so much
>>
>>28360233
kill yourselves
>>
I don't nickname my pokemon, not until B/W. Now I nickname every single one, except legendaries
>>
File: 1342893384391.jpg (77KB, 430x496px) Image search: [Google]
1342893384391.jpg
77KB, 430x496px
>>28359999
>>
>>28358762
Pretty much this. I only have two nicknamed Pokémon that aren't from my team and that's because I originally considered them for it.
>>
>>28360484
OH YEAAAHH

(Currently 4chan-ing and driving, otherwise there'd be a pic of kool-aid man included)
>>
>>28358470
I only nickname the pokémon I know I will use. Otheriwse, I don't bother, mostly because coming up with a name that is both decent, silly and/or original is difficult to me.
>>
>>28358470
I used to not nickname any Pokemon and hated getting nicknamed Pokemon in trades, because as a kid I wanted to be like Ash, who never nicknamed his Pokemon in the anime.

Now I nickname every Pokemon I catch, regardless if I use it or not, and don't like having non-nicknamed Pokemon in my team.
>>
>>28359771
O isn't a consonant anon..
>>
I always do, and I don't like using traded Pokemon unless they're nicknamed
>>
I nickname every mon besides legendary and starter pokemon
>>
>>28358470
I never have. I understand the "It's like calling your dog 'Dog'" argument and it usually compels me but I always prefer no nicknames in the end.
>>
>>28358470
I nickname every Pokemon I use, I always have, and I always will.
>>
>>28358601
Not "Asschugger"?
>>
I name the dudes I use on my team the most during the first playthrough and any I plan to use for battling friends or on wifi or something.

I'll admit though they're all just dumb memeshit, song references, inside jokes, or whatever food I'm craving at the time of catching them.
>>
>>28358502
This is a game though, anon. It isn't real life, so you don't have to take it so seriously.
>>
>>28358470
I mean, at this point I'm going with nicknames that're always themed after plants and the like, for whatever reason.
I think it's a nice thing for customization and connection.
>>
File: exeggcutor.png (475KB, 865x476px) Image search: [Google]
exeggcutor.png
475KB, 865x476px
>tfw I spend way more time sitting indecisively on the nickname screen than on any game's character creator
>>
>>28358470
I used to, but then I stopped because it's an all-or-nothing thing. I'd hate only nicknaming some and not nicknaming others, that would be the worst option.

And since I can't think of actually good nicknames that aren't just shitty puns, jokes or memes for all my pokemon I don't name them.

The only thing I'll name is shit like breeding dittos which I name after their IVs for example or something.
>>
>>28360960
But I like taking it seriously. If it was too silly, I wouldn't enjoy playing it. That just isn't the way of playing that appeals to me.
>>
I love giving nicknames but I suck complete ass at coming up with decent ones
>>
I always name my pokes silly shit if I give nicknames, and either all my pokes get named or none do. I have some staple names for certain mons.

Tentacool > Hentai
Geodude > Lebowski
Politoed > Pepe
Drowzee > LeMerchant
Krabby > SnibSnab
>>
I only nickname pokemon I plan to use: Starter, pokemon I catch to put on my team, and pokemon I breed. I don't name other wild pokemon I catch, every reject I get while breeding, and legendaries (Except sometimes the box legendary that I might use)
>>
If they are in my main 6 during the game at some point then they will be nicknamed

usually some tangential bullshit like Exploud being called Eleven (This is Spinal Tap)

or Vileplume named Captain (Captain Toad, both mushroom people etc.)
>>
I used to but I can't think of good ones at first and others think it's "creepy"

it annoys me I can't think of names well enough to be casual about it but also I can't be "too into it" or people will dislike
>>
>>28358726
No, i call it Bulldog Terrier
>>
>>28358470

I never used to, then started to around Gen V.

Think I'm not going to bother in SM because it's sort of hard to find a name I like and it feels forced.

>>28358486

This too

>>28358726

There is a picture of a dog my father owned as a kid in a photo album. The name written under it is Brown Dog.
>>
File: Captur2e.png (1MB, 953x890px) Image search: [Google]
Captur2e.png
1MB, 953x890px
>>28362933
>Brown Dog
kek
Yeah my nicknames sometimes turn out like this
>>
I name my snorlax each game kabigon.
Don't usually name the others though. If poopilio really has the girl mermaid final evo I will name him Caitlyn.
>>
>>28362996

Thinking about his name may have also been Brownie, but that isn't far off.
>>
>>28358470
no im not a faggot
i bet you play as a girl
>>
>>28358726
no i would call him doggi
ad an i and you have a perfect name for most animals
>>
>>28358601
I don't name them "ass munch" or "dick face".
>>
If I know I'm going to wondertrade them I'll give them stupid names, but not offensive ones:
>combee - BEEEEES!!!
>Skitten - Skittles
>any birdmon - Bord
>male Ralts - Trap
etc
>>
I'm trying to name everything, but sometimes I just can't come up with the name and give up.
>>
I name everything I catch until I clear the game and I name Pokemon I use in my competitive/online teams.
I mostly base the nickname on the name of the Pokemon, their type, or the thing they are based on. Sometimes I'll just give it the first name that comes to me for Pokemon I don't really care about.
>>
File: 1473184079428s.jpg (3KB, 125x117px) Image search: [Google]
1473184079428s.jpg
3KB, 125x117px
>>28358470
I really never did it. But with the upcoming pokemon like for example Gumshoos i really got the urge to nickname it D.J. Trump. And also their current names, like Type:Null or bokunopiku like... dude
>>
>>28363457
I gts'd for a kadabra once

Ended up with Blowjob 8=D the alakazam
>>
>>28358470
I do, but only stupid shit like "Puss Jesus" and "Meat Rubber"
>>
File: gyo shark.jpg (53KB, 590x281px) Image search: [Google]
gyo shark.jpg
53KB, 590x281px
I usually name my obligatory ghost type Noir or something like that.

And I usually use a Garchomp because it's one of my favorite Pokemon, which I always name Gyo after the Junji Ito manga.
>>
>>28358470
I nickname them occasionally. I've named my starter the most, and I think I'm going to just keep doing that as at least the mandatory one.

I can't start Yellow now because I don't know what to name Pikachu
>>
File: 74a.png (425KB, 1276x928px) Image search: [Google]
74a.png
425KB, 1276x928px
>>28363801
>bokunopiku
>>
File: 1445308546109.jpg (79KB, 500x660px) Image search: [Google]
1445308546109.jpg
79KB, 500x660px
>>28363801
>bokunopiku
jesus christ
>>
I typically never can, I feel luke they look too cringy

Sometimes I do use my chancey named "chancer" though, I feel pretty pround of it.
>>
>>28358470
All of them. I listen to podcasts as I play pokemon, particularly when I'm hatching or breeding, I just name them off of whatever the last words I heard were when I caught them. This leads to a wide assortment of great names.
>>
if I do it's for a theme
like stars
fomalhaut, antares, arcturus, betelgeuse, etc
>>
I give some of my mon names, others I just leave. For the first play through of new games though I leave, it helps to learn the names.

I use a variety of names as well from human names, names of deities or just made up words.

Fave names I have given though are:
Mooring - shiny male Quagsire on Y
Naomi - shiny female Sneasel hatch on OR
Blik - male Torchic/Blaziken on Sapphire
Jessica - Salamance on Sapphire
Orica - Flygon on OR
>>
>>28358470
I try to but most of the time i fail to come up with something and end up naming it some stupid shit like using a foreign name or just mirroring it.
>>
base mine off of typing, forms, etc
>>
>>28358470
I remember I had a Darmanitan called 'Bean' back in B/W, he was the MVP, until I got krookodile.
>>
>>28358470
On some games I nickname some of them, on some I don't. I used nicknames for the most part of gen 5 and 6 and I'm getting bored with it. For gen 7 I'm just keeping the original names.
>>
>>28371420
Exact same for me. When I started packing up to bring everything forward I had to go through and get rid of all the nicknames beforehand so I wasn't stuck with them.
>>
File: 1473186855645.png (134KB, 386x389px) Image search: [Google]
1473186855645.png
134KB, 386x389px
I always nickname my Ditto by their nature and IV spread.
I'll also nickname my competitive mons with names which might throw off the opponent by bluffing a set (something like calling Expert Belt Mega Ray "Band from Ubers" to fake a choice band) or irritating names (so they get angry while getting PP stalled out by "u lose xd" the Dusclops)
Other than that, I avoid it. I only really see nicknames as a way of communicating with the opponent, so spending my time naming my Infernape "Luffy ;3" or whatever is just stupid bullshit.
>>
>>28358470
I usually try, though they end up a bit lame.

My charmander was Ember, my Cyndaquil was Vesuvius, and my Torchic was named Ra. And I haven't really played a pokemon game since Gen 3.

I know next game I get I'm probably going to be even bigger with names since I feel a bit more creative.
>>
>>28358767
>The latter is necessary for a lot of reasons. The former is just a weird attachment to an inanimate object

>implying it wasn't necessary to give boats unique names for the registry

There's a reason ships weren't allowed to be given the same name as another ship.
>>
File: 250px-474Porygon-Z.png (38KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-474Porygon-Z.png
38KB, 250x250px
>System32 fainted!
>>
I used to never do it. But I just started doing it one day and now I just really like doing it.

I called Groudon and Kyogre Geb and Nun respectively after the Egyptian god of the Earth and the Egyptian god of Primordial Waters. I know I should have called Rayquaza Nut to fit the theme, but I just called it Fug.
>>
>>28371925
okay, that's pretty good. Mind if I use that one next time I get a Porygon?

>>28372052
Isn't there a renamer in Ruby and Sapphire?

Or are they not in ORAS?

>>28363801
>DJ Trump

Shit, now I'm curious if Trump knows how to scratch vinyl.

>>28365174
>Gyo
Now "Gashunk"?

Or do you feel that sounds too much like a Pokemon name?

>>28371915
>tfw wanted to name my ship the Honeybunch
>It was taken
>All good names were taken
>I'm now the proud captain of "The Flaming Lisp"
>>
Only if its a second run through of a game / remake. First games I like to get familiar with the Pokemon, and nicknames don't add much to the experience for me anyway.

Also, wifi battle teams are nicknamed, but that is partially to help differentiate them if I have multiple of a Pokemon (Timothy the Timid Venusaur, or Mortimer the Modest Venusaur, etc.)
>>
>>28358470
I almost never give nicknames for the main game, but once I start breeding I'll name the ones I'm going to use frequently.

Though once, in my run of White, I numbered them, but spelled it out. My starter was One, the next one I caught was Two, so on and so fourth. It felt weird at first but when my team consisted of Fourteen, Seven, Three, Thirteen, Ten, and Seventeen it felt a little cool.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.