[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon had potential to modernize the games and revamp their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: bleh.jpg (125KB, 470x1024px)
bleh.jpg
125KB, 470x1024px
Pokemon had potential to modernize the games and revamp their battle system to include things like field effects, battle plans, or some kind of spatial component. Instead the decided to cram in a bunch of gimmicks like megas and one use moves.

Will they ever update the underlying battle system again or will they just keep the exact same thing while cramming a new flavor of flashy gimmick in every generation?
>>
>>28280465
>include things like field effects
There are field effects
>>
>>28280465
>stock image of a baby crying
>>
>>28280465
>what is weather
>what is terrain
Not sure what you mean by battle plans and spatial components, though. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>28280575
>spacial components
She probably means a dodge mechanic

>battle plans
I think rotation battles cover this nicely
>>
>>28280537
>>28280575
I mean meaningful differences based on where you battle. Not 'give X type a stat boost for 5 turns' moves.

By battle plans I meant strategies that you could select with your pokemon beforehand. Like maybe you want them to stay close and it increases move accuracy or whatever. Or you want them to be aggressive and they both take and deal more damage.

Spatial components would be more of major change but I think it'd be cool to have your pokemon moving around a grid with different field effects. So you'd hide behind a tree and gain an evasion bonus.
>>
>>28280465
>implying modern RPGs have any of that
You'd be lucky to get a game with half the mechanics of pokemon these days.
>>
The last game series I played to do such a thing was killed by it. A million seller disgraced to less than ten thousand lifetime sales in a single entry.
>>
>>28280465
>Will they ever update the underlying battle system again
They do this every gen. Well, except for four
>>
>>28280757
So basically you want Pokemon x Fire Emblem mini

>>28280805
lol
>>
>>28280757
That would needlessly complicate the game after so long. Most of us do not play these games for that and would like things to be kept simple.
>>
it's too late at this point
keep the core systems simple and add a couple gimmicks every gen, thats the formula and they're sticking to it

i wouldn't mind a side game that played differently but for the main games its whatever, i've accepted that i'll continue playing the same early 90s jrpg til i die
>>
>>28280847
>>28280871
You could say the same thing about abilities or the physical/special split. They used to make more fundamental changes to the battle system which added more interesting elements to something simple. But recently they've just been tacking shit on top of what they have.
>>
>>28280465
The whole appeal of pokemon is that it's not overly complex. Doing that will kill the franchise.

Anyway, there are so little video games that have traditional RPG gameplay why not let this one stay so we can have a little more variety in our choices.
>>
>>28280465
I completely agree with you but this board is full of Masuda cock suckers and they will defend the franchise and their tastes are that of DeviantArt fags. Look how many of these faggots unironically like the Ashime. With such a fanbase, it is no wonder why the franchise has gone down such dumb avenues.
>>
>>28280923
Not much they can do without changing genres, man
>>
>>28280923
Which all improved the core gameplay without changing it, which is what should be done.

Issue is Gen V had nothing to add and Gen VII has shitass Z-Moves. Megas weren't terrible but they don't add much either.

Regardless, I would rather they keep the system that fucking works like Dragon Quest does than pull a Final Fantasy which keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and does a worse job at it every time.
>>
>>28280923
None of what OP suggested would help the core in anyway. The core is fine and already plenty complicated. What is arguable is the balance.
>>
>>28280757
The field idea seems fine for ingame if you expanded upon what you meant by "meaningful" Battle plans would probably fuck up the meta even more than it already is and the last thing would be making it a different game altogether.
>>
>>28281138
>Issue is Gen IV had nothing to add
Fixed.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.