[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, newfag to Pokemon here. I've never played any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: Slowbro.png (72KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Slowbro.png
72KB, 250x250px
Hey guys, newfag to Pokemon here. I've never played any of the games before, so I checked out this board a little and saw you all suggest not playing the Gen I games. I naturally decided to play the Gen I games first (I picked Blue), but now I'm worried about the difficulty curve.

I'm in the second city (the one with a gym that's locked). I'm wondering if my team is ready to trek through the upcoming forest.

>Lv10 Squirtle
>Lv10 Nidoran Female
>Lv10 Rattata
>Lv10 Nidoran Male
>Lv10 Pidgey
>Lv8 Spearow

I'm worried about Spearow. It seems to be leveling up really slowly.
>>
You are absurdly overleveled.
>>
>>28156381
Ok. What level would most people have around this point in the game. I keep getting poisoned by bugs in the forest and it's annoying.
>>
lol you're overleveled

don't worry about levels you dunce, these games are pretty well level scaled up until the last 1 or 2 gyms.
>>
>>28156281
You are overleveled, but you won't be for long. However you have to consider that experience in gen 1 is quite limited(trainers can't be rebattled and then your only option to grind is against wild pokemon) so you won't be able to train 6 pokemon equally: focus on 4.
Viridian Forest is quite easy, you may need an antidote and a potion, but nothing more
>>
>>28156728
Roughly 7-10 tops really. You should make it thought the forest easily. You can find wild pikachu in the forest btw though they have a low spawn rate. It would be helpful to have one for gym 2.

You should decide between spearow or pidgey and replace the other. You don't need two birds.

When the nidorans evolve they need moonstones to evolve to tier 3.
>>
Drop Rattata asap
>>
>>28156867
Ok, I just made it through the forest. Spearow got up to Level 10 on the last trainer, the one with the Level 9 Weedle that left me on 1 HP with its poison. I actually managed to catch a Pikachu. It nearly destroyed my Spearow with its electric shock attack.

Which do you recommend between Pidgey and Spearow? From my experiences so far, I'd say the former as Gust seems to be getting critical hits almost all of the time and Pidgey seems to level up far more rapidly than Spearow.

Should I also decide between the two Nidorans?
>>
>>28156994
Spearow will have more attack, buy pidgey will have more defense. The same goes for nidoran male/ female, respectively. Choose which is more important to you.
>>
>>28156281

Shit man most kids played this game with a single Pokemon and never stopped to train. Don't listen to /vp/ memes. None of the Pokemon games are really hard. They're designed in a way that you literally catch your Pokemon on the way and have a fun time. Just make sure your Pokes are always at least about 4-5 levels above the wild Pokemon and just go.
>>
>>28156994
Train Spearow and Nidoran male, drop Pidgey and Nidoran female
>>
>>28156994

I always went for Spearow because it evolves to Fearow at level 20 and becomes a really powerul early mon with good flying attacks. Pidgey's final evolution is at 36 and it doesn't get as good attacks but its overall stats are better later. But you can ditch both for Farfetch'd later anyway, it's the ultimate bird Pokemon and learns Swords Dance which doubles it attack on every use. Might wanna keep not evolving Spearow for that as the only Farfetch'd in the ENTIRE GAME is in Vermillon city (third gym) and is only acquired by trade witc an NPC. It will be the same level as the Spearow you traded. Also it will gain double the amount of EXP than all your other Pokemon.
>>
>>28156281
I'm surprised you're playing the originals rather than FRLG.

You don't need to grind at all until maybe the last couple of gyms.

>>28156994
Spearow is faster, more offensive and reaches full power way way sooner. Pidgeot is just more bulky, but it's still not bulky in general, so it's a waste of stats.

Yes, two Nidorans is redundant. Male is stronger.
>>
>>28157184

Also make sure spearow is level 22. Farfetch'd will learn Swords Dance at Level 23 and I'm not sure if it has it if you trade it at a higher level
>>
File: image.png (16KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16KB, 500x294px
>>28156281
>>
>>28157210
With both he could have Nidoqueen and Nidoking by Ceruleun. Both have hugh diverse move pools too.
>>
>>28157220
You can just use the TM to teach is Swords Dance. Also Farfetch'd sucks.
>>
>>28157290

Not if he evolves them that early. And TMs are limited. No reason to have two things of the exact same type, you're just wasting exp leveling both.
>>
>>28157331
You can split the TMs between both. And their stats make the HUGE at that section of the game.
>>
>>28157327

>Wasting a TM
>A Pokemon with 100% crit chance sucks

Bait?
>>
You guys said I was under-leveled and yet the trainer in the gym destroyed me with his Diglett. Does Diglett get critical hits 100% of the time or was that just an extremely unlucky run?
>>
>>28156281
>not playing FRLG
Literally a direct upgrade
>>
>>28157355

>split TMs between both

But WHY? There is literally no advatange. One of them will just be dead weight. If something manages to kill one it's going to kill the other.
>>
>>28157390
In gen I crits depend on speed and Diglett is quite fast.
Just train your Squirtle a bit and you'll be fine
>>
>>28157390
Extremely unlucky. Just something to note, criticals were based on speed in the original games, faster pokemon or pokemon that boost their speed have a higher chance of landing a crit. Use Nidoran's double kick to sweep this gym.

>>28157358
>What is Celadon city

And it's a Gen 1 Farfetch'd, it's got dick-all for stats and a crappy move pool.
>>
>>28157390

How the fuck
Your Squirtle and Spearow should've killed Diglet.
>>
>>28157485

>Swords Dance
>Agility
>Slash
>Fly

Literally unbeatable. Question: Have you ever used Farfetch'd in Gen 1? Because nobody that used a Farfetch'd with a 100% crit chance that kills everything would call it crap
>>
Train the squirtle and nidoran male exclusively and you will dominate the game
>>
>>28157561
>352 BST
>no stat above 65

Farfetch'd is crap. Literally the worst flying type in gen 1.
>>
>>28157466
You can diversify their movepools heavily. Both can learen Blizzard, Thunder, Earthquake, Flamethrower, Surf, Fissure, Megakick and Hyper Beam. They're two of the most customizable Pokemon in Gen 1.
>>
>>28157561
>60 speed
>55 defense
You're havin' a giggle mate, come on.
>>
>>28157614

It's also a gigantic fucking waste to give all those TMs to two nidorans. Have you heard of something called STAB? Or a decent Special stat?
>>
>>28157561
>100% crit chance
>Swords Dance
Why?
>>
>>28157603

You fool, it gets SLASH. that's what makes it more of a powerhouse in-game than the other birds.
>>
>>28156281
Pokemon games aren't hard, you don't really need to be worried about this kind of thing.
>>
Can't you play the game by yourself and make your own fucking decisions instead of asking for help? it's literally designed for children.
>>
>>28157649

Doesn't matter. Double Exp will easily make it quickly the most powerful mon in your team. It'll be like 10 levels above your strongest mon always if not even more depending on how much you use it.
>>
>>28157684
SD is crap though since crits also ignore the user stat boosts in Gen 1. Give it Double Team or Reflect.
>>
>>28157664
Any Pokemon who's going to get STAB on these moves will learn them by levelling . And Nidoking's Special stat's fine considering move diversity. Also, STAB from Earthquake.
>>
>>28157723

It needs strong attack for other moves besides slash in case you enounter a rock or ghost type
>>
>>28157725

Which is why you're better off just having Nidoking rather than having to split his exp with a redundant Nidoqueen. It's a complete fucking waste of a party slot.
>>
>>28157754
So would you consider two Alakazam a wasted slot in Gen 1?
>>
>>28156281
I finished that game 100% in less than 15 hours play time when I was 8. Just move forward. If you black out then move forward again. Just play the game and experience to experience it for yourself instead of asking someone else to tell you how to play it.
>>
>>28157800

Except for that Farfetch'd though. There is only a single one in the game and it's undoubtedly the best mon in the game
>>
>>28157761

Yes, why the fuck would you need two? What does that accomplish? One is enough to sweep the entire game. The rest of the party should cover his handful of bad matchups, not just a clone that soaks up his exp.
>>
>>28157800
Half the fun of pokemon was talking about neat things you found with your friends and them telling you stuff you'd never have found out, like being able to get a Magikarp outside Mt. Moon, or Starmie being able to learn thunderbolt and thunder.
>>
>>28157851
Psychics had no bad weaknesses in Gen 1, so what's there to cover? And two equally powerful pokemon can cover for each other when one is knocked out.
>>
>>28157877
You see, I actually played he games and paid attention so I knew that stuff anyway. Trading and battling was fun with the boys, and talking about what everything is based on... But asking each other how to play is retarded
>>
>>28157958
You don't sound like someone who's fun to be friends with.
>>
>>28157914
Chansey, Starmie, Exeggutor. Zam was never invincible.

Two powerful Pokemon that SHARE THE SAME PROBLEMS. Fucking again, you are just splitting the exp between the two. You end up with two lower level zams who together are weaker than a single zam. It's fucking redundant.
>>
>>28158014
I was certain Alakazam could learn thunderbolt, turns out it was thunderwave. Chansey's countered with seismic toss or submission, but yeah, Exeggutor's a wall. My original point on Nidoking and Nidoqueen having diverse movepools and high stats still stands though.

On a side note, why do you call it "zam"?
>>
>>28157720
If its in red/blue/yellow you don'y get the xp buff i'm pretty sure
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.