[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the Pokémon that have NOTHING special to them in game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 2

File: girafarig[1].jpg (32KB, 200x320px) Image search: [Google]
girafarig[1].jpg
32KB, 200x320px
What are the Pokémon that have NOTHING special to them in game in the entire time they've existed?
>Can't evolve
>No pre-evolutions
>Can't Mega Evolve
>1:1 gender ratio (the most common)
>No special gameplay gimmick (ie. Ditto with breeding, Shuckle holding Berries/Berry Juice/Rare Candies in Gen II, etc.)
>No signature moves at any point in time (ie. Hawlucha + Flying Press, etc.)
>No counterpart Pokémon (ie. Plusle & Minun, Tauros & Miltank, etc.)
>No additional forms
>No legendaries
>Not known for being exceedingly rare/limited in the game they first appear in (ie. Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, Lapras, etc.)
>Wasn't version-exclusive in their debut Generation (ie. Skarmory, Delibird, etc.)
>Doesn't "fill a generational role" (ie. Pidgey clones - Hoothoot/Taillow/Starly/Pidove/Fletchling, Pikachu clone - Pachirisu/Emolga/Dedenne/Togedemaru, etc.)

I want to say under those conditions, Girafarig, Stantler, Torkoal, Tropius, Carnivine, Maractus, Sigilyph, Alomomola, Stunfisk, Druddigon, and Carbink are the Pokémon that have been neglected the most, with the oldest being the biggest offenders.

Is there anything that makes these Pokémon special apart from having nothing notable ever happening to them?
>>
>>28132517
If every Pokemon had something special, none of them would feel special. We have to have generic "common" Pokemon to help set the bar.
>>
>>28132517
Carbink is somehow relevant to Diancie, so it has a gimmick.
>>
Corsola has a 1:3 gender ratio but it still doesn't have much going on.
>>
Just realized Carbink is genderless and also >>28132539, and also forgot to look into signature abilities (Torkoal was the only Pokémon to have White Smoke in Gen III and IV).

Leaving
>Girafarig
>Stantler
>Tropius
>Carnivine
>Maractus
>Sigilyph
>Alomomola
>Stunfisk
>Druddigon
>>
>>28132558
Didn't Stantler have a seasons gimmick at some point?
>>
>>28132571
Seasons weren't present in Gen II, only in Gen V, and you might be thinking of Deerling and Sawsbuck.
>>
>>28132517
Girafarig and Alomomola are both palindromes, that's kinda gimmicky.
>>
>>28132558
You should re-add Torkoal.
>>
>>28132578
Gen 4, and yeah.
>>
>>28132517
>I want to say under those conditions, Girafarig

Girafarig is uniquely a Normal/Psychic type pokemon.

Meloetta is the only other and obviously much more rare.
>>
>>28132607
Gen 4 what?
>>
>>28132598
Alomomola is called Mamanbou in Japanese.
I'm just realizing the "mom" in Alomomola and "Mama" in Mamanbou.
Girafarig is Kirinriki (キリンリキ) which is a palindrome in Japanese, but I wouldn't really count it as a gameplay gimmick since "flavor" stuff like names and Pokédex entries kinda really throw this all out of whack.

>>28132607
Gen IV was Sinnoh, Gen V was Unova, and Unova was the one with seasons.

>>28132614
It's not really "unique" then.
>>
>>28132628
>>28132641
I could have sworn Sinnoh had seasons.
>>
>>28132614
>unique
>except for this one
>>
>>28132641
>>28132614
Oh right, Girafarig did have a unique type combination for three Generations, so I guess I could count that as being unique if I'm counting Torkoal as having had something unique at one time. Same goes for Stunfisk.

>Stantler
>Tropius
>Carnivine
>Maractus
>Sigilyph
>Alomomola
>Druddigon
>>
Qwilfish as well I guess
>>
>>28132599
Torkoal was Flannery's signature mon, that's gotta amount to something.
>>
>>28132780
I was thinking Qwilfish at one point, but it's one of the few Gen II Pokémon that can get a special swarm (like with Dunsparce, Marill, Yanma, and Snubbull).
>>
>>28132672
>Unovabortion doesn't realize there were games before BW
OP said nothing special in the entire time they've existed. Girafarig used to have a unique typing.
>>
>>28132517
I would say that Alomomola fills a pseudo-generational role. Luvdisc was the source for Heart Scales in gens III and IV, but then in V they tried the whole "region entirely filled with new Pokemon" thing, so they needed a new source of Heart Scales, which Alomomola filled. Granted, that almost makes its similarity to Luvdisc even lazier, but it at least did something for its generation other than being filler.
>>
Basculin would be here as well if it couldn't be caught in two different colours
>>
>>28132844
Why not use Tiny/Big mushrooms like in FRLG? They DID introduce a new mushroom pokemon, as much as I'd like to forget its ugly visage.
>>
>>28132839
Yes, "the entire time they've existed" includes BW.
>>
Girafarig's name is the same backwards in English. That's it's gimmick
>>
>>28132844
Alomomola doesn't have Heart Scales.
>>
>>28132909
Alomomola has the same gimmick, so it isn't a unique thing.
>>
>>28132672
Meloetta is non-canon
>>
>>28132909
>>28132917
Also >>28132641
>>
>>28132928
Lol okay
>>
>>28132909
Its name is a palindrome in general. Kirinki is the same too in kana
>>
>>28132692
Tropius can learn almost every HM
>>
>>28132968
>almost every HM
>>
>>28132968
It's a good HM slave, but that's not really unique to it. Even Farfetch'd can learn both Cut and Fly.
>>
Stantler for sure.
No one uses it. Well, I did once a long time ago for about 5 minutes. I thought it was interesting and my friend was like "why would you use that? There are so many better pokemon."

It's just there. Also has it appeared in any other games as a wild pokemon? Has a gym leader used it? I don't even remember a trainer using it. It's kinda sad actually. ;_;
>>
>>28132607
>when you try to be pedantic but end up looking like an idiot
>>
>>28133008
Stantler has the season gimmick.
>>
>>28133026
That's Sawsbuck
>>
>>28132898
Are you being difficult on purpose? The question is which pokemon never had anything special at any point of time. Girafarig did have something special in gens 2-4.
>>
>>28133026
Delibird had the season gimmick too.
>>
>>28132517
Whats a stantler
>>
>>28133026
Is mixing up Stantler and Sawsbuck some kind of meme?
>>
>>28132552
Corsola is exceptionally qt.
>>
Tropius was the first grass/flying, no? It had a gimmick.
>>
>>28132517
Girafarig and Stantler actually have almost identical stats. They're counterparts just like Tauros and Miltank.
>>
>>28133059
>>28132552
It's just the fact that they put SOME thought into it being more likely to be a specific gender rather than slapping on the typical 1:1 like they do with most Pokémon.
>>
>>28133146
>what are hoppip, skiploom, jumpluff
>>
>>28133147
>a bull and a cow
>a giraffe and a deer
>>
File: girafarig stantler.png (44KB, 1415x351px) Image search: [Google]
girafarig stantler.png
44KB, 1415x351px
>>28133147
Here's proof.
Reminder that Stantler should've been Normal/Ghost.

>>28133179
I didn't make the game. Maybe the japs think they're counterparts.
>>
>>28133155
Wow. Talk about forgettables. Sorry Tropius. I tried.
>>
>>28132641
>>28132672
>>28132839
>>28132898
>>28133032

99% of players will never get Meloetta.

Anyone playing through HG/SS can find a Girafarig.

Somebody could have an entire team of Girafarigs.

Just let it be.
>>
>>28133227
You can get Girafarig in the Sinnoh region too, so pretty much all of Gen 4 I believe
>>
>>28132517
Stantler has a niche in doubles as the only intimidate user with skill swap

weaken your enemies and then skill swap to buff Milotic or Bisharp. It also has hypnosis, gravity and trick room.
>>
>>28133514
Not to mention Disable+Substitute, which is always nice, and access to priority in Sucker Punch
>>
Carnivine is a gimick. Only grass type with levitate. While also having no other abilities.
>>
>>28132517
Two heads, palindrome, only Normal/Psychic for three generations.

Seems pretty special to me.
>>
>>28132517

Well Giraffarig has the Name = Backwards thing
That's kinda special
>>
>>28133569
>palindrome
Reminds me of some other pokémon I've heard you talk about
>>
>>28133215
That's not a duo. They only share two stats, they don't have stats that are the same flipped. Hell, they don't even have the same BST (Stantler has 10 more)
>>
>>28132692

Druddigon is special because it's the only Dragon Pokemon that does not evolve aside from legendaries
>>
>>28133555
I wouldn't exactly call that a gimmick. Gimmicks are where the Pokémon has a special trait outside of its Ability.
>Ditto can breed with with most Pokémon
>Shuckle can turn a held Berry to Berry Juice, and held Berry Juice into a Rare Candy
>Spinda's spots are determined by its PID
But an Ability belonging to a single Pokémon, or having a unique type combination is special enough, even if it's only for the first game it appears in. That's SOME sort of official acknowledgement of uniqueness. We're looking for Pokémon that have never caught a bone in the time they've existed. There's nothing special about Stantler. It doesn't evolve from anything, doesn't evolve into anything, can't Mega Evolve, has the most common gender ratio, has no signature moves or Abilities, doesn't have any gimmicks or version exclusivity, type updates, doesn't have any additional forms, etc.

>>28133569
>>28133611
Having two heads has no bearing on the game itself or special programming. Doduo has two heads after all. Palindromes don't count either because that's the equivalent to flavor text. Having a unique typing for three generations does count as being unique for that time though.

I think that another factor to look at would be gender differences, but it seems none of the remaining Pokémon (Stantler, Tropius, Carnivine, Maractus, Sigilyph, Alomomola, Druddigon) have any.
>>
>>28133651
The changes they have happen in the exact same stats. Stantler only has 10 more since it doesn't get a secondary typing. Girafarig can still get a +10 boost this gen, like many others did last gen. Stantler should've been Normal/Ghost with 90 Atk and 80 SpA desu
>>
Maractus
Heatmor
>>
>>28132662
It was just colder the further north you went.
>>
>>28133943
Heatmor's counterpart is Durant.
>>
>>28132517
Girafarig and Tropius have (or at least had) unique type combos at the time.
>>
>>28134219
>Tropius
see >>28133155
>>
>>28134219
Tropius was Grass/Flying, which it shared with the Hoppip line. We're currently down to >>28133721
>>
>>28132558
shiny Druddigon is cool fwiw
>>
Tropius is the best HM Slave/horde EV slave in the game, capable of not only learning the major HMs to get around, but also capable of learning Sweet Scent for hordes, and some good spread moves like Earthquake and Razor Leaf (low BP, but the crits are nice).

I would say its movepool alone sets it up as unique.
>>
>>28132517
>>Doesn't "fill a generational role" (ie. Pidgey clones - Hoothoot/Taillow/Starly/Pidove/Fletchling, Pikachu clone - Pachirisu/Emolga/Dedenne/Togedemaru, etc.)
That makesa pokemon LESS special.
>>
>kelceleon
>>
>>28132552
I could never figure out (or later remember) Corsola's typing when I was a kid. It just could not occur to me that it would be water/rock for some reason. That was special to me.
>>
I have bred, raised, and trained all of those shitty pokemon, and while I acknowledge they are for the most part.... well, shitty, all of the have some sort of unique niche they can fulfill.

EXCEPT carnivine. Carnivine does NOTHING.
>>
>>28136536
Kecleon is relevant to the story of the game in which is was introduced. You need to use the Devon Scope to see the invisible ones blocking paths.
>>
>>28133215
>Stantler should've been Normal/Ghost
Please no
Don't waste a typing that cool on a design that shitty
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.