[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I keep hearing Heart Gold and Soul Silver being hyped up on this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

File: Pokemon Gold.jpg (102KB, 640x645px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Gold.jpg
102KB, 640x645px
I keep hearing Heart Gold and Soul Silver being hyped up on this board. Are they that much better than their originals? GSC are my favorite Pokemon games, am I missing out by not playing HGSS?
>>
>>28131338
If GSC are your favourites, then definitely yes
>>
>>28131338
They're pretty much the exact same games but with different graphics
>>
>>28131401
And added features
>>
>>28131338
Yes.

>>28131401
>Abilities
>Natures
>Physical/Special split
>Bigger and better movepools
>Safari Zone
>>
>>28131338

HGSS' fixes are more the "quality of life" kind.

Eg. Pokelathon now gives evo stones, you no longer have to lick the NPCs' balls for a item phone call. You can set your character to sprint indefinitely. Itemfinder, now the Dowsing Machine, UI is vastly improved even compared to the D/P/Pt version.

Stuff like that.
>>
>>28131417
Following pokemon are too cute.
>>
>>28131338

And some of the more important mechanic changes in Gen 4 as mentioned in >>28131417, I forgot to include them in >>28131426.
>>
It's ugly, there's some tiny things changed in ways that aggravate me like the Unown Report instead of it being part of the dex or no Room Decoration, and they ignored Crystal's encounter tables, but otherwise it's improvement
>>
>>28131416
>"features"
>>
they are trash compared to crystal.
>>
File: 1450212541563.jpg (78KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1450212541563.jpg
78KB, 500x375px
The entire game is improved aside from the poor pokemon selection(this is somewhat fixed if you use the pokewalker and the safari zone, but still isn't enough) and the worst level curve in the series, barring Colosseum.

It's still worth a playthrough though, the mechanic changes of gen 4, the updated graphics and music, along with all the neat little feature like following Pokemon make it really nice.
>>
>>28131426
>>28131417
Sounds to me like they're still pretty much the same game, just with some minor changes.
>>
>>28131538
I'd say they're somewhat harder due to everything that was introduced.
For example, Miltank has Scrappy, Gengar now uses its monstrous Sp. Atk instead of "eh' Attack and has Levitate to cover for that one weakness...

Also, Kanto Leaders had their entire teams bumped by about 10 levels, so they're actually stronger than Lance (except Janine, but she's stated to be new so she's obviously the weakest one).
>>
>>28131338
yes. they are. no comparison, dude.
I had Gold Version as a child and recently I played HeartGold. holy shit, it's truly amazing.

the gyms got turned into interesting places with obstacles and all that. the safari zone is in a cave now where in the old gold version there was literally nothing except for a few smashable rocks. pokegear saves ALL the NPC phone numbers now which is great. first pokemon in your party always following you outside. they all have different personalities and you can talk to them. many more features like this.
>>
>>28131538
>just with some minor changes

they are not minor. dude, there is like pokeathlon with several minigames nearby the national park, safari zone you can shift terrains and place objects now, there is challenge dome kind of thing in Oliviana City with 5 different challenges where you fight under different conditions and so forth.
>>
>>28131401
This is not even close to true. The games are so god damn different due to the physical/special split, changed move pools, and the safari zone. I love both almost equally, but HG/SS is a different beast.
>>
>>28131338
Earning all 16 badges allows you to use the original music, so nothing is lost.
>>
>>28131813
The soundfonts are off.
>>
>>28131538

Whether they're minor or not is up to personal choices. Personally, I thought some of them were pretty big.

Graphics are obviously improved. Unless you're into retro.

The aforementioned Pokelathon fixes the lack of evo stones in the original Gen 2, you no longer have to rely on Trainer calls.

Fights are changed as >>28131583 stated. Eg. Bugsy's Scyther with U-turn makes it hit harder and more difficult to saddle with a status, Whitney's Miltank has Scrappy (it'll annihilate a Lv. 20 Gastly in one shot, don't even think of having a second chance at Hypnosis) and holds a Lum Berry to offset one disabling attempt, Ground moves no longer work as a SE option against Morty's team. Past that, though, your old tactics should still work as normal.

You can carry your own potted Berry plants about instead of sticking to predetermined locations; all the shrubs now drop Apricons, giving you a fairly big special Pokeball count if you pay visits to Kurt regularly. Problem is that your Berry selection is really curtailed, pre-E4 you mostly get Berries that reduce damage from a specific type instead of the more powerful HP/stat-curing ones.

The Safari Zone really fixes some of the original game's Pokemon availability as >>28131482 said.

Some following Pokemon will react to the environment when outside the Pokeball (eg. Fire Pokemon hate being near water, from personal experience Hoppip line will throw a prolonged temper tantrum if you keep them too long outside/battle with them when walking around Pryce's Gym even after leaving the Gym)
>>
>>28131338
>updated graphics
>gen IV battle mechanics
>safari zone
>new dungeons
>more fleshed out Kanto
>pokeathlon
>platinum battle frontier
>more legendary hunting

there's no contest
>>
>>28131338
You're not missing much, the game is the same but slow as fuck.
>>
where the hell can I find a copy to even play? I don't wanna pay $100 for a cart. I love GSC but I haven't been able to find a copy of HGSS
>>
>>28131919
emulate
>>
>>28131935
I can't do it. It feels off to me. I've tried, believe me.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (223KB, 1921x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
223KB, 1921x1080px
>>28131935
this. just do it.
>>
>>28131955
game runs fine. I personally use frame skipping though and it works okay like that.
>>
>>28131978
Its not how the game runs. It's the fact I've always used a gameboy/ds to play pokemon and playing it through emulation seems cheap.
>>
>>28131455
It's like you haven't even played the game.
>>
>>28132002
It's like I've played the game way too much.
>>
>>28131955
Flashcart.
>>
>>28132013
Then you'd clearly know all the changes to the new version could you list them
>>
It's literally the best pokemongame ever. It already takes the greatness that is Gen 2 and improves pretty much everything but the level scaling.

>Johto is super comfy
>2 regions to explore, and now you have actual stuff to do in Kanto
>Best selection of pokemon to choose from (gen 1 and 2 was designed simultaneously so they fit together great)
>Following pokemon
>Best music
>>
HGSS is rivaled only by BW2 as the ultimate Pokémon games.

Pokethlon return when? It was like having Pokémon Stadium minigames built into the rpg
>>
File: IcmCoX5.png (58KB, 501x375px) Image search: [Google]
IcmCoX5.png
58KB, 501x375px
How come no one has mentioned Pokemon following you yet? That was one of the defining features that sets HG/SS apart from G/C/S.
>>
>>28132392
>How come no one has mentioned Pokemon following you yet?

How come you didn't read the thread before making this post?
>>
>>28131338
HGSS has one of the shittiest Dex's in the entire series
>>
>>28132392
Such a small addition but such a huge boon for roleplay
>>
>>28132542
It's a pretty huge addition, actually.
>>
>Had Gold version
>Go to order HeartGold from Gamestop last week to finally try the remake
>Only copy within 30 miles is reserved and they go for $30 more on eBay than they do at Gamestop
>Have to order SoulSilver instead

I'm so disheartened. I'm trying to put on a brave face, but it's not what I wanted and I'm afraid it's going to be very different.
>>
>>28133462
they switched exclusives so the ones found in gold is in soulsilver and viceversa

So in that regard you picked the right game
>>
>>28131338
Aesthetics are worse but the gameplay is improved (not massively though, you're trading off all the updated mechanics with a much slower engine, it's not d/p bad but it's still noticeably slower than it should be)
>>
>>28133529
Most of the exclusives are the same as in the old games, it's just donphan and ursaring which have been switched. Donphan was in gold originally but for some reason it was switched in the english language version so they've just fixed it.
>>
>>28132392
It's a gimmick.
>>
They suck. Great to look at, but I made it to the elite four with a team average level of 34. I like the length though.
>>
>>28134638
A fun gimmick that almost everyone loves and praises
>>
>>28131338
G/S/C were my favourite games until i played HG/SS. Definitely play one of them OP.
>>
>>28134698
Yeah, no.
>>
>>28134698
I didn't say it was bad or not fun. A gimmick is a gimmick.
>>
I'm playing through HG at the moment and it's probably the best pokemon playthrough i've done. The regions look great I really like the extras like pokeathlon, safari zone and following pokemon. My only problem with it was the new music, I had to trade a genned GB sounds across because they have butchered the soundtrack
>>
If you catch a Pokémon in the wild that should've already evolved (e.g. a lvl 40 Dratini, which should be a Dragonair already), how long will it generally take to evolve when being trained?
>>
>>28135699
One level.
>>
>>28131338

Overall they are better but GSC does some things that are better than HGSS such as the music for example.
>>
What's the point of speed apart from who goes first?
>>
>>28136059
In the first gen it made you more likely to land criticals. Afterwards though it's literally just who goes first.
>>
>>28134722
being contarian isn't cool anymore
>>
>>28136286
Right back at ya.
>>
>>28131919
GameStop or target in 2010 faggot why didn't you get it when the game cache out
>>
>>28132439
>DP exists
>Shits on the hgss dex
>>
The music and designs got butchered, but otherwise they're a lot more accessible.
>>
File: 7185376253.jpg (94KB, 717x477px) Image search: [Google]
7185376253.jpg
94KB, 717x477px
>>28131338
I keep hearing this is the last genwar bait pasta.
We both know what are you trying to achieve anon.

Considering literally everyone is aware of the existance of emulators and easy to obtain and emulate games that go from gen 1 to gen 5 you can literally try those games by yourself instead of attempting to lead to another genwar thread boosted by genwunners and unovaborts salty tears through the help of a subtle and naive bait post.

And most importantly you can make your own opinion instead of setting other peoples opinion as yours one.

Anyway HGSS got everything and more of what GSC had, the only flaws are the lack of a solid level curve, very limited ammount of trainers to rematch that includes the disappointing movesets the E4 second round has and the last most annoying part that is the phone being way to centralizing and forces you to follow schedules to get phone numbers and battles (it's a good feature to know more about gym leaders and other characters but unpractical for the battles, Platinum VS Seeker is still the best ever rematch tool to date yet plus the location where you rematch gym leaders can be soft reset until you don't find the combo you like the most.

Everything else in HGSS tends to compense those flaws and outnumber them in quality.
>>
>>28136535
I'm finally getting around to finishing Heartgold, and it took me about two weeks to get all the fucking gym leader phone numbers. Totally worth it to see them all gathered together in the gym.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.