[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you own any of these big guide books for the pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

File: guides.jpg (1MB, 1958x870px) Image search: [Google]
guides.jpg
1MB, 1958x870px
Do any of you own any of these big guide books for the pokemon games or the pokedex? Pic just shows some examples.

I know paper guides are not that popular anymore since the internet exists and any information can be gotten with a quick google usually, but I somehow still like having a big book with illustrations, a full dex, all move info etc.pp. in one place. It's nice.

But I wonder how good these are?
Do you think the Sun & Moon one might be worth it? Did the previous games' guides give you reason to believe the SM one might be good?

Tell me about these guide books
>>
They should stop wasting money on these and just give us a artbook already
>>
I had a bunch of guide books from gen 3-5 and if any of these are as helpful as those were back then than I'd say yeah

I don't buy them anymore because of the Internet but sometimes it's nice to get away from the screen for things like this
>>
>>28091842
How detailed do you think these are?
Do they tell you about EVs gained by killing certain pokemon for example?
>>
File: image.png (729KB, 615x609px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
729KB, 615x609px
>>28091766
>yfw somebody leaks the SM guidebook
>>
I always buy them because it make me remember when I was younger and I had made a book with my friend with this kind of informations
>>
File: 91-0ExSxEzL.jpg (945KB, 1877x2560px) Image search: [Google]
91-0ExSxEzL.jpg
945KB, 1877x2560px
Sample page from the national pokedex in the middle
>>
>>28091850
They told it in the Battle Revolution book, but only cited one exemple of pokemon
>>
>>28091766
I got the two HGSS books, I actually used them to get through certain parts of the game (Cuz im fucking retarded)
>>
I used to have a DP guide book, and it was a pretty solid walkthrough of the game.
I now own an ORAS guide and a Gen 6 competitive guide. Pretty useful.
>>
>there's a normal and collector's edition of the sun and moon guide book

Here’s what you’ll find inside:
-Detailed walkthrough of the brand-new Pokémon games!
-Locations of where to catch Pokémon!
-Lists of moves, items, and more—including how to obtain them!
-Helpful tips for getting the most out of communication features!
-Pullout map of the region!

If you opt for the collector’s edition, you’ll receive a premium hardcover along with “bonus content” only included in that version. Pricing is set at $25 for the standard guide and $40 for the collector’s edition.

Bonus content? Like what, info they're withholding from the normal guide?

>If you want to know all the egg moves, pay up for the collector's edition
or what?
>>
>>28091766
I have a black and white collectors guide is pretty nice
>>
>>28091766
Guide books are what Bulbapedia uses for in game maps for Gen 6 and as an overworldfag I'm grateful, so that's cool.

It would be better if they got a damn English one though
>>
>>28092697
But these books are in English?

>>28092667
How much info does it have?
Is there anything you can still only find on the net?
>>
Id love to have one, I always consider it, but they get obsolete as soon as a new game appears so no, I dont buy them. >>28091837
100% agree. An official art book.
>>
>>28091766
to me, paper guides show what you can catch where better then a website, same with item placement and route layouts.
>>
>>28091837
>>28092784
Idk if you guys care, but there's an artbook coming for the tcg in a mew and mewtwo box...
>>
>>28092838
How far back does it go in the TCG?
>>
I have a couple, they're actually really nice, with tons of easily-to-look up spreadsheets and shit.

>>28091850
The X/Y Pokedex guide has a full guide to EV training with complete lists of what Pokemon give what EVs
>>
>>28091766
I'm getting the SM one since it comes with a Golden Bottlecap code, last time I checked.
>>
>>28092899
how hard will those bottlecaps be to get?
>>
>>28092838
You mean they're finally releasing this one in English?
>>
>>28092922
Couldn't tell you, sorry.

Personally, my guess is that they'll be something akin to SHiFT codes from Borderlands 2-- obtainable from in-game and real-life events, promotional items, shared QR codes on social media, tournament rewards, etc.

The way they've been promoted so far, I'm sure they'll be moderately rare. Maybe like Ability Capsules.
>>
>>28093007
It was my understanding we'd be able to infinitely raise IVs of lvl 100 pokemon through bottlecaps that we'd get from say, doing something like the battle maison or whatever.

If they were limited, that would suck
>>
>>28091766
I have all of them up until Diamond and Pearl because my older brother literally was too stupid to figure out the game without them. Multiples from different publishers and everything. They're pretty useless, if you need a guidebook to play Pokemon then you've got some serious issues, the game literally tells you what to do. Plus, there are online ones anyway.
>>
>>28093318
It's not about needing a guide book to get through the game, it's like having a paper encyclopedia with all sorts of info. All the moves learned by pokemon, possible egg moves, EVs gained by killing pokemon, route data etc.pp.

And for some people it's probably just nice and feels a bit like nostalgia to hold a big book about their game with illustrations, maps and so on.
>>
>>28092936
Most likely.
>>
>>28093368
Ah yeah, but some of them don't even have that. I've got one that doesn't even list every Pokemon in the regional dex of the game it's the guide for.
You're better off just using the internet if you need any of that.
Sometimes there are some cool illustrations, though. I wish they'd release designer notes books instead, that would be cool and it's easy money since you're just scanning sketches and notes.

Generally, I'd advise against getting the guides unless you have some sort of collecting thing going on.
>>
File: Catria Oboro.png (5KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Catria Oboro.png
5KB, 400x400px
The problem with buying these giant books isn't that the information is freely available online, it's that there are ALWAYS tons of errors because it's a fuckhuge database and there are ALWAYS errors in them, even back to the Gen I strategy guides that were no bigger than a standard strategy guide at the time.

>Diglet can learn Fly in Yellow
>My 8 year old face when
>>
I buy all of them because I'm a paperfag.

I had only a pair of issues with them:

>Platinum and HG/SS guides: since Pokémon names in Gen I-IV games were all caps, they decided that they must always be written in all caps. Pikachu? What's a Pikachu? You mean PIKACHU, of course.
>X/Y guide purposedly lacks the artworks of some Pokémon. In most of the cases it was because they weren't available yet, but then they first miss the Gogoat, Talonflame and Sylveon ones and then the ones for Barbaracle and Gourgeist are shown there before anywhere else

>>28091901
It's just a bunch of concept art probably, like in the ORAS collector.
>>
>>28093999
How was the ORAS guide?
Was it also written by TPC/Prima?

Heard bad things about Prima lately
>>
>>28094039
It's like every other one. Never heard these bad things about Prima.
>>
File: primaestus.jpg (923KB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
primaestus.jpg
923KB, 2988x5312px
>>28094300
Well their dark souls guide came with an estus flask collector's item that looked like this
>>
I've have at least one big guide book for every generation since the beginning, except gen 3. It's like a Pokemon tradition, for me.
>>
>>28093056
It's probably just the gold bottlecaps that are going to be restricted like that. I imagine silver bottlecaps will be grindy to get, but not otherwise restricted.
>>
They would come in handy when you don't have internet access, but they're way too expensive for what they are.
>>
File: gs pokedex.jpg (37KB, 232x300px) Image search: [Google]
gs pokedex.jpg
37KB, 232x300px
>>28091766
I had a Gen 2 Pokedex and it was amazing back then. I used it a ton and it was frayed as hell because of that. I sadly can't find it anymore.

Paper books are really nice to have and I would certainly still use one nowadays if I had one. I don't want to have to be by a computer or looking at my phone all the time.
>>
>>28095580
I had this too

I fucking loved that thing
>>
>>28095492
I mean it's like 20 bucks or so
>>
literally serebii
>>
>>28095736
how is a website (an ugly one, by the way) literally a physical paper guide?
>>
>>28091766
I have all the story mode guides from RS up, they're nice for the maps and I just like to collect them
>>
>>28096522
Did they change through time in terms of quality of all the info they cover?

Did they improve with time or get worse?
>>
>>28091766
I owned a RBY, GS, Japanese GS, and a hardcover B2W2 guidebooks. I loved my Gen1 & 2 books, and I got the B2W2 one out of nostalgia for the old ones. They're all amazing. The B2W2 one has an interview with Masuda and the development team of B2W2 about the games.
>>
>>28096581
Can you post an example page of, say, the guide listing where to EV train for what gains?
>>
>>28091766
i had one of these for mystery dungeon red rescue team
>>
>>28091864
Really nice
>>
I haven't bought one since black and white but I'm really gonna need a new pokedex book so
>>
>>28091766
I have them all. I just like collecting them, celery has better guides for the most part
>>
I prefer books over internet. I can sit comfortably wherever in the house I am and not have to deal with loading pages, bulky laptops, shitty touch screens, or charging cables.

Only downside is they're usually overpriced as fuck.
>>
>>28096541
Definitely have gotten better. I can't get the pic rn but the intro to Emerald talks about choosing between "the water type Mudkip, the grass type Torchic, or the fire type Treecko"
>>
>>28096657
You got them all? Mind posting something from the latest ones (ORAS I guess)?

Especially interested in >>28096596
>>
>>28096666
Fucking witnessed
>>
I only have the B2/W2 one which is kind of a waste since completing the national dex without Wi-Fi, Pre gen 6 is painful.
>>
>>28096744
Just checked the oras book, it just says which stat a pokemon gives EVs for but not how much
It does have some cool stuff such as trainer rematches where it shows how many badges you need for the next team, full list of contest move stats and combos, movesets for all contest opponents, locations and layouts of all mirage spots and secret bases, full list of base decorations
>>
>>28096963
That does seem pretty nice. Guess it has almost everything one could want.
>>
File: 0827161503.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0827161503.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>28096744
I'll page through it and see if they have a section for ev training, besides super training.

Admittedly I kinda lied earlier. I'm missing the Yellow guide, and most of the Pokedexes
>>
>>28097143
>platinum being so damn thick
I love that book, it had an actually useful pokedex
>>
File: 14723247886951817723207.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
14723247886951817723207.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>28097143
>>28096744
It shows which pokemon give which EVs, and also hoarde battle locations
>>
>>28097143
>Let's Find Pokemon
I use to rent that and another one all the time at my local library and just stare at the images and pretend I was there.
I also think I owned that book on the end with the purple binding. Is it about gen 1?
>>
>>28097196
>>28097196

Not bad I guess.

Also wow that Platinum book
>>
I used to collect these (I have every guide from gen 1 to 6) then I got the XY one and it sucked ass. Did they do better with ORAS?
>>
File: 1472325520235-88479060.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1472325520235-88479060.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>28097285
Got this one Christmas of '98. It's beat to shit and missing the back cover, but the the pages are intact.

>>28097334
Yeah a lot better. It's about as good as the BW/2 guides were.
>>
The ORAS pokedex is pretty nice, haven't looked much in it since it was for my brother but it pretty much is an encyclopedia minus any actual walkthrough.

Ask me for a page or two and I'll see what I can do picture wise.
>>
I've just got the old Official Handbook from Scholastic, an Emerald guide by Prima, and a hardcover BW guide.
>>
>>28091864
>All that good shit
>And then that stat box
>>
>>28096963
I have the Japanese XY Pokedex guide, and it has a complete list of every Pokemon in the game and what exact EVs they give. It also has a short explanation of EV training and outright says that Super Training is a waste of time and to grind wild Pokemon instead.

It doesn't even bother explaining Super Training, it just says "don't bother"
>>
>>28097436
Venusaur
>>
>>28097431
>>28097334
I hope the Sun & Moon one is good.
>>
>>28097431
>Got this one Christmas of '98.
Same, except I immediately took out the stickers and put them in the Pokedex pages instead of using them to check of Pokemon I had.
>>
>>28097809
Kek, me too.
>>
>>28097722
>>28091864
?
>>
>>28097941
No idea why, but I processed that as you had the japanese version of the guide and I was interested in seeing the differences
>>
>>28097967
It's a direct translation of the Japanese guidebook
>>
Only ever had one bad experience with these guides: Prima's version of the Firered/Leafgreen

Not very informative on what it did cover, and there was absolutely zero content regarding the Sevii Islands. After the League it mentions there is a postgame, but that it wasn't included in the guide so you wouldn't be "spoiled"

And the Sevii Islands were a lot more cryptic than anything else in Pokemon games; I had a lot of questions regarding how to continue some quests, and if any of the weird things (dead Onix) had related quests at all. I switched to Nintendo Power guides after that
>>
>>28097809
Yeah me too. My brother was the one who put them on though :(
>>
>>28098479
>but that it wasn't included in the guide so you wouldn't be "spoiled"
The DP guide did this too and it was fucking bullshit
>>
File: 1472329788359480206107.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1472329788359480206107.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>28098479
Bookfag from earlier. Here's the Five Island page from the Nintendo Power guide.

My problem with the NP guides for everything from Crystal through Emerald is that they didn't have what pokemon are found in which area on the location page, like previous and later guides would. Instead, it was all listed by individual Pokemon in the back of the book (not even part of their pokedex). Makes it a bitch to be sure you're completing a route.
>>
Aside from the fact that you can find information online much faster, I think paper guides nowadays are pre useless when games are often patched to change things. Maybe less of an issue for Pokemon, but why risk it?
>>
File: 1472329873136859369198.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1472329873136859369198.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>28098791
Example of what I mean
>>
File: 14723305311751001669010.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
14723305311751001669010.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>28098821
Also this book straight lied to you
>>
>>28099032
>though the timing is so complex that it seems random

I don't know why but I kek'd more than I should've. Thanks for posting the NP Sevii Island page, I never got to see it. I feel like there should've been something cooler than Facade for that quest; the context was much more interesting than the reward.
>>
>>28091766
I got them up until XY for collection purposes, but at that point they became too expensive and the discount for getting them with the game became too small.
>>
>>28099032
>though the timing is so complex that it seems random

my sides
>>
>>28091766
They're nice if you refuse to use google/buy them day one I guess.
>>
>>28091766
I had the one for R/B/Y. I think it said use fighting types against Lance.
>>
i bought the collector guide, but i've never bought a guide before. my one concern is if there won't be some kind of pokedex in it.

i see some series have both a guide and a pokedex, and what's most important to me is the dex rather than the guide :/
>>
>>28099282
>use fighting types against Lance
but that's correct, his AI will use agility because psychic is super effective
>>
I'm buying the sun and moon guide book just because it's going to come with a gold bottle cap...

I'm hoping that we get a code for one as a pre-order bonus in america as well since we're clearly not getting anything else
>>
>>28091766
Haven't bought strategy guides since the mid 2000's. Primary reason is they almost never contain any essential formula information. And I'm not talking any calculus or RNG-abuse tier information. Simple shit.

Examples:
Persona 3: The strat guide didn't tell you if [Element] Boost skill and [Element] Amp skill could stack on one another. Playing the game at launch, information wasn't readily available online. I ended up doing the numbers myself.

Pokemon: As far as I know, these strat guides never had a page dedicated to "How to effectively breed". Such a page would have info like:
+ What hold items effect IV choosing.
+ What hold items are needed for specific baby pokemon.
+ What pokemon have abilities that cut down on breed time.
+ What Route has the best path to cycle around.
+ How natures are inherited. How stats are inherited.

Essentially, information that players would come up with. So much effort in these guides are spent cropping a top-down image of a linear map and placing arrows on where the perfectly visible treasure chests and entrance/exits are... they completely fail to give information that players cannot figure out themselves. Why would you pay for something like that?

I understand that these guides need to be on the ground ready at launch, but why would you spend $15-20+ on a book that _isn't_ the treasure trove of information?

>That would spoil EVERYTHING in the game.

No shit. You're not looking at a guide in fear of not figuring something out. You're paying for information.

I don't see how difficult compiling this information is. If the developers have time to take a screenshot of the maps, they can easily write bullets on how to work features of the game, then forward it to some intern to write paragraphs.
>>
>>28092899
I thought therse a code for Magearna in it?
>>
>>28097683

Exactly what I was thinking, what the hell. JUST WHY
>>
>>28094319
That looks handmade, Really that came in the collectors edition?
>>
would be nice if we had hi-res scans of the books in a zip
>>
I bought the ORAS book the day the games were released to see what the post game was. Pretty salty when I flipped through it and didn't see any Battle Frontier.

Actually came in handy when I wound up moving to a new house (twice) and had no internet access, so I just used it to help track down Mons and stones to fill out my living dex.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.