[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which generation is your favorite? if you were to convince someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: Pokemon_crystal.png (134KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon_crystal.png
134KB, 256x256px
which generation is your favorite?
if you were to convince someone to play, defend why that gen is best to start/play. Even if you disagree, just have fun explaining why it is your favorite.

my favorite is gen 2, specifically crystal.
>color
>better sprite art, major step up from r/b (yellow had better designs too)
>sprite animations
>great music
>introduced shinies
>introduced breeding/eggs
>introduced rematches with trainers
>introduced held items like berries
>introduced getting different kinds of pokeballs based on apricorns
>multiple pockets in bag
>able to trade with previous gen
>experience bar is easily viewed in battle rather than having to open up menu and selecting stats every time
>introduced day/night cycle where different pokemon appear during those times
>2 regions with a total of 16 badges to collect
>actual final champion being Red
>>
FireRed and LeafGreen are the best games for beginners.
>>
>>27991859
Fucking this and exactly this. I have no personal hate for the other regions but Crystal/Gen 2 tops everything.
>>
>>27992168
>not XY
wut. gen 3 is by far the weakest generation, as natures and EVs were introduced, but super shitty implemented. have fun killing 255 ghastlies.
>>
>>27992268
Beginners give zero shits about natures and EVs, pal.
>>
I would argue Gen 3 would be the best to start with.
>first "modern" pokemon games since you can transfer your pokemon up to current games
>32 bit graphics that dont give off the "old" feel but still look nice
>great music
>added abilities
>GUI boxes
>comes with 7 games in total (RSE, FRLG, and Colosseum/GoDi only count Colosseum/GoD since you can transfer and trade mons directly to and from it like a main Pokemon title)
>pokemon contests
>added weather
>added double battles
>added modern IVs and EVs
>the battle frontier
I adore Gen 2, having started with it, but Gen 3 had so many forwards, plus the ability to transfer to current gen games, makes me think it'd be best for beginners, especially if they start with FRLG.
Outside of Gen 3, then the obvious starting point is Gen 6, since it has stuff like 3d graphics, amie, more user friendly menus and options, and stuff to help handhold retards like megas and constant free Pokemon to catch.
>>
I don't have a favorite gen, just a favorite game.

It's FRLG
>>
Probably xy, from the sheer amount of Pokemon you can catch
>>
>>27992268
You can emulate FrLg in phones, so it's more accessible than buying a 3DS, for normies at least.
>>
>>27991859
I love how the sprites resemble sugimori's watercolour style of the time
>>
>>27991859
great taste
>>
>>27992446
This. The animations were also better than anything outside of the Stadium games, Colosseum/XD and Battle Revolution.
>>
>>27992308
Nice opinion, I have to agree. Especially nice because I also started with 2.
>>
It's so hard for me to pick one favourite gen. I love different generations for different reasons...

As far as convincing a newbie to play, it depends who I'm talking to. If, and only if I knew the person liked playing -very- retro games, I might go so far as to start them on gen 1 despite its many flaws and anachronisms.

If the person wants to learn to battle well, starting with playing through a Pokémon game for the first time, I wouldn't start them earlier than gen IV since that's when the current battle system more or less fell into place.

Black and White are fine choices, good games if decent ones. XY was a lot of fun for me and is a great game, but in the absence of a 3DS, only the first five gens can currently be emulated on smartphones.
>>
>>27991859
Crystal also attempted to change some of the awful mon placement.

It didn't go far enough but least it tried
>>
File: 1471202689351.jpg (52KB, 816x653px) Image search: [Google]
1471202689351.jpg
52KB, 816x653px
>>27991859
My favorite is probably gen 4. But if someone was a new player? I'd recommend XY.

-Dress-up is a great feature for new and old players.
-Lots of convenience features added
-Protag and cast are slightly older than usual, outside of BW and are more relateable
-Music is solid and the region itself is aesthetically pleasing
-Good selection of wild Pokemon
-Pretty easy, so it's a good starting point
-Story isn't bad at all
-Lack of post game means they will be pleasantly surprised if they go try other older games

Objectively it's the best for beginners really.
>>
File: black-white.jpg (44KB, 469x210px) Image search: [Google]
black-white.jpg
44KB, 469x210px
>>27991859
2nd is great, but my fav is still gen 5. Specifically bw2.
>that soundtrack
>best sprites
>gym battles are hype af (especially with the fanfare at the last pokemon)
>that story (in bw1)
>N
>bw2 aren't just rehashes but have a conpletely different story and new locations
>P. W. motherfucking-T
>it takes a long time to completely finish bw1's story (go through league 1 time and beat n, go through the rest of the map and then fight the champ)
>THAT ELITE 4 MUSIC
>hidden abilities bringing new life to every single pkmn
>great online (not as good as 6th but better than 4)
>easier breeding (still not as good as 6 but still better than 4)
>seasons are really cool
>most new pokemon added since gen 1, and most (keyword: most) are great designs
The ONLY 2 things that I hate about 5th gen are:
>team preview introduced
>NO FUCKING BATTLE FRONTIER
It's still the only gen that I actually enjoy playing for the story. Crystal was my first game ever tho, and I think that hgss are nearly god-tier
>>
File: victini.gif (27KB, 53x62px) Image search: [Google]
victini.gif
27KB, 53x62px
>>27994356
although the sprites have some issues with the animation a lot of them do a good job at showing a pokemon's personality
>>
File: pidgeotto.gif (21KB, 82x116px) Image search: [Google]
pidgeotto.gif
21KB, 82x116px
>>27994519
Yeah they aren't perfect, but the redone sprites from previous gens look amazing. For some reason I think of how cool Pidgeotto's gen 5 sprite looks whenever I think about them
>>
If they don't have a 3ds, I'd suggest fire red.

If they do, then x/y.

You people are choosing games you like and not ones that would be suitable for first timers.
>>
>>27992268
Are you implying any of this stuff matters?
Why would any beginner play gen 3 competitive?
Or do you actually reset for best natures when you're playing the story mode?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.