[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've played pokemon games since the original red version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: crosspoison.jpg (75KB, 500x494px) Image search: [Google]
crosspoison.jpg
75KB, 500x494px
I've played pokemon games since the original red version on the fat Game Boy. Never really got into battling online even when it was debuted in Diamond/Pearl but always kind of thought about what the best team would look like. Then I was reading around these boards and found out about a place called Smogon which would talk about ideal movesets for certain pokemon.

After reading a few pages on their forums....Wow...just wow. These guys absolutely study pokemon and have tried to turn it into a science. They actually make objective calculations based on certain pokemon's max stats given the nature/EV spread and base power of moves. They know not only who can counter who, but which sets can do it!

I wouldn't be surprised if half the people there never even played these games but used cold calculations alone to determine who would beat who in certain situations. And with like 400 full evolved pokemon these days, how the hell do they even have time to get all the details down?

Overall, they make the games way too convoluted. Now they want to "ban" non-legendary pokemon because they might be too powerful. I wouldn't want to face a team of 6 Lugias, but that's why we have total base stat thresholds to determine who's uber and who's not.

Whatever....I think the site's pretty good at getting a feel at which pokemon does best at what, but when you try to actually read the analyses, it's hard to wonder how long it took people come with such detailed explanations that make the game seem very compicated.

Discuss
>>
I don't think BST alone determines whether or not a Pokemon is Uber
>>
They just want to be the very best like no one ever was
>>
>>27987455
BST is pretty important, but overall I'd say that things like ability and movepool go further in determining a Pokemon's place in the heirarchy.
>>
Smogon sets are useful for newfags who just got into battling and don't know how to build a competent team yet. After you've built a couple and know which pokemon are good at what you shouldn't need to consult it.
Also Mawile should not be ubers.
>>
>>27987455
>it's hard to wonder how long it took people come with such detailed explanations that make the game seem very compicated
The problem is that you're thinking this like a bunch of friends actually sit down one weekend and started to discuss and analyze the whole rooster from scratch.
A meta, in any sort of competition not only Pokemon, takes years to develop, and it does so in a natural way.
There's always someone who discovers a new way to play a team, a new core that works great or a good pokemon that was being overlooked all that time. After that people start to use that new thing, and start to come up with things to beat it up, and then the cycle begins anew.
Give it a few years and all the compiled shit will look like a huge mess from outside.

Where the hell have you been living under by the way?
>>
>>27987455
>copying a 5 years old gamefaqs post
>>
I can't into competitive. I have too much fun using the pokes I like, despite their stats. Battling with friends is fun though, less competitive.
>>
>>27988939
What a cool opinion.
>>
>>27987455
BSTs and stat distribution < abilities and typing
There's a reason sableye is better than spiritomb even if they have the same typing, spiritomb has higher BST and better distribution: sableye has prankster. That single ability makes it a prominent threat, while having a BST that rivals starter middle evos.

You idea of using BSTs to determine who is uber and who isn't is dumb, that would only lead to some pokemon never even ebing used.

If we set it above 560 BST, archeops, the legendary birds, the regis and slaking are never going to be used. The way its made right now guarantees most pokemon, if not all, see some sort of usability, and allows players to use any of their favourites with success.

Banning non-legendaries makes sense when its something that centralizes the meta (Like lando-T sorta is doing right now). If every team has to carry a counter for a specific pokemon it limits variability, and some times this leads to them being banned, amongst other reasons.

Finally, its not even the official format, nobody is forcing you to play it either. Play VGC if you find smogon too restrictive, nobody really cares one way or another
>>
File: 1471743569877.jpg (448KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471743569877.jpg
448KB, 1800x1200px
>>27987455
>>
>>27988035
>Also Mawile should not be ubers.
Mawile is essentially BL0 - arguably too good for OU but honestly not good enough for Uber.
>>
>>27988035
I really hope GF nerfs huge power into just increasing the base attack stat. A pokemon with 210 attack is already amazing and it would certainly get it out of Ubers.

>>27989773
Honest question: is this the same case for greninja, M-lucario and M-Salamence? because they all feel very weak when compared to the more prominent pokemon in the tier
>>
>>27989825
>Honest question: is this the same case for greninja, M-lucario and M-Salamence? because they all feel very weak when compared to the more prominent pokemon in the tier
Don't know about Lucario and Salamance since I never use them and rarely see them (well, I don't play much Uber period, I don't like the format) but Greninja is a good suicide lead so I don't think it needs to be dropped from Uber.
>>
>>27989825
Fighting Salamence and Lucario was a 50/50 bet in losing the whole match on one pokemon.

If you think the Lucario/Sala is physical and go to a specific pokemon and are wrong then you probably lost the game. Same with special.

And then you get into mixed versions which totally fuck you over either way if you predict wrong. Also the physical/special have completely different counters with almost no overlap between them meaning you had to almost always sack a mon just so you could take a guess what kind of Sala/Luc you were fighting.

When you have to sack a mom every time against a pokemon, it's too strong.
>>
>>27989741

This is why I just play unrated randoms and leave if the guy takes more than a minute every turn.
>>
>>27989741

Mfw they literally had a guy like this in the anime

Sorry for amv can't find original

http://youtu.be/GuGmp0vvQu4
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.