[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ORAS isn't inherently bad, Hoenn is just a really boring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: vS0ov.jpg (106KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
vS0ov.jpg
106KB, 500x640px
ORAS isn't inherently bad, Hoenn is just a really boring region, at least for me. ORAS does a lot of good things, I just can't bother replaying it or RSE. What makes you like Hoenn? (if you do)
>>
Hoenn is my favourite region. I don't know why people hate it so much. Water, ok, but it has a little of everything and not a single boring route
>>
>>27987426
It's funny because the water isn't what bugs me, it's that the whe first 5 gyms is a slog and not very fun. It feels identical every time, even if you're using an interesting team.
>>
File: 20160810_234348.jpg (111KB, 414x233px) Image search: [Google]
20160810_234348.jpg
111KB, 414x233px
There's something that I can't place, but Gen 3 just wasn't very enjoyable for me. The music was weird, and I just couldn't stand Hoenn back then. The graphics were good, but kind of lego-y? Great colors, yet somehow bland? By all means, I should have liked it more.

I'm a little ashamed to admit amongst the vp's, that I much much prefer oras.
>>
>>27987482
No I agree, Gen 3 has this "different' feel about it. I know I'm still playing a Pokemon game but there's something off, kind of hard to explain really. I think it was the strange design of the region and the graphics that made it stand out in a bad way.
>>
I'm not a particularly big fan of it either. Gen III's even the generation I had my first "big group of friends constantly trading and battling" experience in, but I have fonder memories of multiplayer in DP with Wi-Fi being the hot new shit and the sense of community from the first few months of XY with all the various circumstances of it up until Bank was widely released.

I like the Emerald Frontier and how ORAS handles the main story, which are the best handlings of battle facilities and story in Pokemon so far to me, but everything else is just alright.
>>
Gen 3 was weird but in a good way. It was Gamefreak's first venture into a better looking Pokemon game, it introduced new game mechanics to freshen up the increasingly stale ones of gen 1 and 2, had a deeper and more engaging storyline that changed depending on the game, an amazing map design and a pokedex that introduced some amazing mons and didn't rely on the previous generations. In this regard, the massive advancement that was RSE alienated some of the older players who claimed the game had become too complex, but in actuality Gen 3 was just the start of a new revolution for Pokemon.
>>
>>27987482
RS and to an extent E has the worst spritework in the series, so that's probably why it looks weird. FRLG had a much better and higher quality look on the same hardware.
>>
i think for me it's mostly nostalgia, I played since the beginning but I can hardly remember the times I played through Blue and with second gen it seemed short lived since i got the game a few months before ruby/sapphire came out. First time I preordered a game as well and got the bonus coin at toys r us. I remember which store and what time and everything, i was so excited. I loved how fresh everything felt to me as well, after being a little bored of gen 2
>>
>>27987689
>worst spritework in the series
Bullshit. This award undeniably, without a doubt, belongs to R/B/G.
>>
File: 1459485513066.png (115KB, 246x238px) Image search: [Google]
1459485513066.png
115KB, 246x238px
When I played R/S the first time, I actually thought that they had REMOVED pokemon from existence.
>"Boy oh boy, can't wait to catch an Onix!"
>"Oh, I guess those don't exist anymore."
Strangely enough, the were placed in ORAS where I thought they would be back when I was a youngin.
>>
>>27987719
RGB can be handwaved as potentially a stylized thing with how wacky many sprites are. Though from a purely objective standpoint, you're right.

RS sprite work is just shit. They could've done far better with the GBA.
>>
File: 1455171889848.gif (406KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1455171889848.gif
406KB, 500x281px
And also, especially for those more ingrained into Pokemon and romhacks especially, Gen III still holds a much larger presence than any other Gen.
>Most non-Essentials romhacks used Gen III style sprites and graphics, and STILL are
>Gen III had the most memes spawn from it, ala Mudkip and Trumpets
In a sense, especially in regards to the romhacks, part of Pokemon culture hasn't even LEFT Gen III yet, so I can understand why it can be a bit tiring.

Also, Gen III came out around that time where those who had been playing from the beginning may have been starting to get pressure for still playing Pokemon at their age, so I wouldn't be surprised if that factored in as well.
>>
Mirage islands needed more Pokemon diversity and scaled to the level of your Team
>>
>>27987397
Dexnav has been the single greatest catching innovation. It makes you want to catch mon and for that alone ORAS was worth it.

Although I wish Gym teams and Wally had been expanded a bit more
>>
>>27987529
>>27987653

I think that's why gen 3 is one of my favorite gens. It feels very different.
>>
The Hoenn games are just weird. Gen II felt like a true sequel, it added onto the story of gen I by continuing it, and added more to the region and made it revisitable. Gen III was just the same exact pokemon format but with a new weird region and new weird pokemon. Even onthe first playthrough it seemed like I played the game before
>>
>>27987653
>venture into a better looking Pokemon game

I'd probably challenge that there kiddo. GSC looked far far nicer than RSE did. RSE just had these disgusting tiles that seemed to be both muddy and over-saturated at the same time and wonky overworld sprites.

Heck, they're damn near the ugliest games in the series. Thank fuck FRLG was better
>>
>>27987397
I still remember playing Ruby and having a decent amount of fun. I got Sapphire about a month before Emerald and played through it before Emerald so I could see all the things that changed.

Except Emerald changed jack shit for most of the first half of the game. I remember putting the game down after reaching Dewford and just being bored knowing I wasn't going to get to anything interesting before the 6th gym, and even once I picked it back up I slogged through it just to get to the fun parts. I didn't mind battle tents but I hated waiting for Lilycove to make pokeblocks and do contests. Magma Hideout was so fun for being different, but going back through Aqua Hideout was dumb as fuck. The end to the story was okay, but the fact that you didn't get to fight any of the legendaries was kinda dumb.

And while the Battle Frontier was fun to dick around in, it didn't feel like Emerald did much to justify a purchase if you already bought Ruby or Sapphire. It fixed some things and made the stories combine which gave some needed content and relevance to some parts of the map in the late game, but fuck.

ORAS was a nice romp, but I wish they brought back the Magma Hideout in OR, because the Lilycove cave was stupid for them to have and lazy as hell. Overall I'm just not really as attached to replaying through a Hoenn game as I am other games. I started a Ruby file before ORAS and I couldn't be assed to get past Wattson because it just wasn't fun, it just felt like an obligation. They're still fun to go back to and just explore and listen to the music, but I never feel compelled to start a new journey, and that's weird for a Pokemon game.

Also fuck Ruby and Sapphire's PC for not having the ability to move items.
>>
>>27987835
I preferred the way BW2 handled it style wise, but Dex Nav was great for being available right there on the touch screen.
>>
>>27988131
Will sun moon have dexnav
>>
>>27987397
I always liked hoenn for how many interesting side areas and caves there are. Meteor Falls, the Sunken Ship, Shoal cave, New Mauvile, there's tons of optional exploration. Even some entire routes you never have to visit.

It really does feel like an adventure in that way.
>>
>>27987397
I was pretty amazed by RSE's graphics. Seeing my character's reflection in the puddles blew my mind as a kid, especially considering the graphics of GS. Also, the running system was super welcomed.

I enjoyed ORAS up to the Delta Episode. They just direct you place to place and nothing happens in between. Other than that game was pretty alright.
>>
>>27989396
I remember seeing screenshots of RS in a magazine and wondering "that's it? Why are battles still on a plain white background?" But the reflective puddles were cool when I actually got into the game. Even in ORAS my secret base is located at those reflective puddles.
>>
>>27987653
Increasingly stale? Gen 2 built on Gen one. There weren't enough Gens for the games to get stale by that point
>>
>>27987653
>New revolution
>Deleted Night/Day Cycle
>>
File: pixiv33640162.png (269KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv33640162.png
269KB, 480x300px
It's comfy
>>
>>27987719
RSE overworld sprites were atrocious.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.