[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did the huge shift towards disliking Mega Evolutions happen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: mewtwos.png (320KB, 590x408px) Image search: [Google]
mewtwos.png
320KB, 590x408px
When did the huge shift towards disliking Mega Evolutions happen on here?

I was never a big fan of Megas, but I always felt like I was in the very small minority. Since Gen 7 started, however, there seems to be lots more Mega haters.
>>
>>27967115
They made the games too easy.
>>
Probably when they first came out.
I guess people are hating on them a little harder now because Alola formes are generally well-received and it's always easier to bash on something while it's gone.
>>
>>27967115
Megas are fine on legendaries and 3rd stage mons but they ruined the potential of evolutions in Pokemon like Mawile, Sabley, Camerupt or Sharpedo
>>
File: 1471657840159.jpg (226KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1471657840159.jpg
226KB, 700x700px
>>27967411

>Eviolite Sableye
>>
>>27967448
Seriously, you can't just use "muh Eviolite" as an excuse to rule out all potential cross-gen evos from now on.

All you have to do is nerf or BST limit that item in the future.
>>
>>27967448
Nice eviolite meme. Just remove this fucking item
>>
>>27967115
In my case - after the premiere of ORAS. At the beginning they were cool addition (although a little disappointing considering they were only temporary). Then RSE remakes came out. Suddenly we had more shit to keep in our inventory and some megas were needlessly strong (Salamence and Weather Trio) or stupid-looking (depending on tastes - Slowbro, Lati@s, Sharpedo). People at GF don't know how to design these things properly and adding more can end very badly.
>>
>>27967115
A few bad/broken ones soured opinions on them, like primals, megamom, and m-ray
>>
>>27967115
Ever since gen 7 was announced. Poeple started making posts about wishing megas get retconned and they got a lot of steam lately thanks to alola forms.
>>
>>27967411
I agree with Mawile, but Camerupt, Sableye and Sharpedo didn't need evolutions. We don't need another Rhyperior clusterfuck.
>>
>>27967115

I feel like it's still a minority, but for some reason their shitposting frequency increased.
>>
>>27967115
Sinnohbabies. They're the largest demographic on this board, and they're not old enough to remember the Pokegods, so they think acting like they hate a new mechanic makes them appear "mature" and "patrician."
>>
>>27967383
You're still here, and yet its easier than ever to bash you :^)
>>
>>27967115
There wasn't a huge shift. The people who usually complained about it are going hard with the shitposting now that its a new gen.
>>
Who knows why. With the way day/night might be altered, I wouldn't be surprised if Alolan Forms snowball megas and their stat boosts into them. Alolan Day/Night Charizard and Day/Night Mewtwo could happen for all we know as a retcon of Mega Charizard/Mewtwo XY, to keep em universal for example.
>>
>>27967835

That's just idiotic. Why the fuck would they add a new superform to retcon the old one?
>>
Moving into Gen 7, opinions of Gen 5 will mostly consist of, "Ya know, it really wasn't that bad of a gen after all!", while opinions of Gen 6 will become more negative and unpopular.
>>
>>27968004
Gen 5 never went though that unanimously hated phase anon.
>>
>>27968004

I swear there are literally people on this board right now rhat praise Gen 5 as the best Gen
>>
There is no such shift. Antimegafags are just loud or you are too sensible to dumb opinions
>>
I hated them from the getgo, it was an obvious fanservice gimmick and as stuff like M-Gar started being revealed it was increasingly apparent that they, if permitted in competitive play, would completely change the way the game was played for the worse.
>>
Anything after gen 3 SUCKS
>>
Megas got a very lukewarm response when they were revealed in Corocoro, it was pinned on /vp/ for nearly a month.

They seemed unnecessary, but a lot of people were hopefully that it would be a balancing mechanic to make unplayable shit become viable.

When we found out they have +100 BST and were given to a lot of shit that didn't need a buff like Garchomp, Gengar, Salamence, Metagross, Gyarados, Scizor, Tyranitar, and various legendaries a lot of people changed their minds. Plus the fact that some Mega play completely differently than their base means the Heracross you've been working on is now completely useless.
>>
>>27967115
They're still not super hated, its just a lot more vocal. Theyre still more liked than not.

A big factor that's happening now which is causing a larger focus on it, is VGC with the Primals and Mega Ray over centralizing the fuck out of it.
What I dont get is why people dont see that and think "upper legendaries should remain banned", instead of "hurr ban all megas".
>>
When the favoritsm was obvious and the fact they many many more pokemon could have been buffed by improving movesets and making stat adjustments(which they did to a few Gen1s but it was very few)
>>
>>27967727
Eh, it's about the same I think.
I think there's more dedicated autismos nowadays who try to find and reply every one of my posts. But that's the price of being famous~

>>27968140
Some people were happy that their favourites like Mawile and Pidgeot got a notable buff.
>>
>>27968004
I've always loved gen 5 and thought gen 6 was bland as fuck. I was under the impression that that was a fairly common opinion, but I don't spend much time on /vp/ or anywhere else Pokémon focused.
>>
>>27968157
>When the favoritsm was obvious
Most megas were given to shit Mon anon and only a handful of already strong pokemon got stronger.
>>
I always disliked it because I thought those who needed megas the most were better off just having a permanent evolution like Mawile, Sableye, Manectric and Houndoom etc etc.
>>
>>27967115
I like the designs, if they were forms with less power that'd be perfect.
I hate the whole temporarytransformation thing Gamefreak is pushing so hard.
>>
>>27968140
That was the core of the issue with megas, there was NO logic as to which pokemon got them. Some starters got them. Some pokemon that were absolute trash (Kanga, Mawile) got brokenly good megas. Some pokemon that were already ridiculously good got megas.

They should have established some baseline criteria other than 'uh well this is Masuda's favorite so it gets one, uh the kids like that one so it gets 2, uh these ones are popular in competitive play so they get them. Uh we can't give scyther and heracross megas without giving Pinsir something so Pinsir gets one, uh alakazam and gengar get one but machoke and golem don't'.

It's just so haphazard and stupid, the way they distribute them. Megas should have been limited to

1. Third stage pokemon
2. Pokemon with some kind of significance (starters and early route families/pairs like the birds, rats, bugs, ect, most of which were weak as fuck in competitive play despite being loved and well known, would have been a good way to start)
3. Legendaries (where nobody really cares about balance anyways)
>>
>>27968194
You really think hating tripfags is new or a minority? There's literally a 4chan banner about how triocodes are for idiots.

I don't dislike tripfags, I dislike you for really being this up your ass
>>
>>27968066
Ι've been playing since yellow,my favourite game is emerald and objectively B2/W2 were the best pokemon games
>>
>>27968283
I don't really think any of those need permanent evolutions besides possibly Sableye/Mawile.

>>27968356
It's simple. They're given to popular pokemon.

>>27968452
Jerks, not idiots.
Also, I'm "this up my ass" cuz I use a tripcode. And here we go again.
>>
>>27968667
Yes but 'give them to the popular ones' is a pretty piss poor design decision in terms of how they impact the game. And it's obviously not just popular ones, hardly anyone liked Pinsir, Kagaskhan, or fucking Audino for example.
>>
I don't hate the concept of megas, but the pokemon that received them was often unnecessary and arbitrary. They've given megas to a lot of already strong mons like Scizor or Garchomp, but then they go and give it to arbitrary stuff like Audino.

it makes sense to give it to more "special" pokemon like the Gen1 starters and Mewtwo, and even to Sharpedo and Camerupt due to their Team Aqua/Magma relation, Metagross since it's the Champion's signature pokemon, and Lucario is popular enough for me to not be TOO bothered by it. I also like it being given to stuff like Pigeot, Beedrill, and Mawile that are otherwise irrelevant.

I just think shit like Mega Audino, Primals, Mega Salamence, etc. are weird, unwanted, and unnecessary.
>>
I wish we had a Mega Slaking that changed nothing except the ability.
>>
>>27969035
Many pokemon needed permanent evolutions. Some pokemon could have benefited from split evolutions with switched stats.

I think legendaries with "primal evolutions" are a cool concept to make them more boss-like and powerful. (like the Totem pokemon concept). But Megas sucked.
>>
People have hated it since the beginning. You're just noticing it more right now.

t. someone who has hated it since the beginning
>>
>>27969077
Maybe we'll get an Alolan Slaking that'l remedy that problem.
>>
File: VGC2016.jpg (10KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
VGC2016.jpg
10KB, 211x239px
This is the VGC in a nutshell... All thanks to Megas...
>>
>>27969137
I thought you could only have 1 mega per team?
>>
File: VGC2016.png (450KB, 795x903px) Image search: [Google]
VGC2016.png
450KB, 795x903px
>>27969137
My bad...
>>
>>27969157
Pick 4 of 6
>>
>>27969157
There's nothing against the rules for it.
>>
The contrarians who have always hated them crawled out of the woodwork because SM isn't pushing them as the biggest thing ever
>>
>>27969187
oh duh, VGC doubles.

Honestly, that's more Nintendo's fault for not regulating that shit.

Rule out legendaries and the landscape changes automatically
>>
>>27969232
Not really. You'll still have the Ubers Megas to deal with.
>>
>>27969277
yeah but with the 1 mega per team rule that is a lot more manageable.

Xerneas and Groudon shouldn't be on there at all, let alone mega forms. Yeah, Kangaskhan will still be a problem, as will Salamence and Gengar, but at least then only ONE of them has a Mega Stone and is uber tier instead of 3.

Do one better and ban all "one of a kind" pokemon and get the genies and shit out of there, as well as OU-tier box legendaries and event mons.
>>
>>27967115
I used to like megas but they're handled so poorly and are bad for the meta. They should be used on fucking legendaries and Pseudo's. Just Pokemon who need help

Very unbalanced in general, especially X and Y's
>>
>>27968066
Black 2 and White 2 were the best Pokemon games though
>>
>>27967115
Contrarians, the board
>>
>>27969532
Are you trying to tell me Mega Fug is a good idea? Also so many megas are outclassed by their non forms

>>27969495
Just shitty b8
>>
megas are shit
,meta breakers.
>>
Megas are the best thing GF ever made. The only problem is some of them, like, less than 5, that are too strong. Otherwise, everyone else is fine.

>it made more already strong Pokémon stronger

Overall, it didnt. Strong stuff like Garchomp, Tyranitar, Gyarados, Scizor mostly got a sidegrade, and sometimes their Megas are not even better than the regular forms. Meanwhile, Charizard, Pidgeot. Beedrill, Kanga, Pinsir, Manectric, Aggron, Lopunny, Mawile, Altaria, Sharpedo, Swampert and more are all improvments.

The decision of which pokemons should have Megas went well, too. Popular Pokémon, shit or not got megas. Shitmon got megas as well and mostly became good. Legendaries are pointless, most of them cant even be used anyways, but they are popular, so they deserve it too.

Evolutions cannot be given for everything. 3rd stages and stuff that can abuse eviolite, for example. Best choice for them are obviously the Megas.

But go ahead, keep eating the Gen 1 only Alola forms that mostly dont look strong, only pretty, instead of wanting your Pokémon from other gen to get a upgrade, since Megas are for every gen.

Or even worse, a 5th move bs that no one asked and thats only going to give more coverage for stuff that shouldnt get it.
>>
>>27967115
Sun and Moon isn't introducing any new Megas from the looks of things so all of the Mega haters came out of the woodworks
>>
>>27970117
I think the biggest flaws in megas is how shit/worthless too many of them are

Why do legendaries need megas?

Why are you shitting in newer ideas to defend megas?
>>
>>27970425
Because they're popular/important to the plot/to introduce a mechanic. Legendaries gaining Megas don't take away megas for other pokémon.

I shouldn't shit, I got a little mad by seeing everyone wanting Alolas while not thinking on every other pokémon that should get something too, but are not getting because they didn't came on the 1st gen. But so far my point still stands. Only Alola Marowak looks like it's going to be good, with Alola Ninetales being a maybe, depending on its distribution. And I can't see Z-moves being balanced.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.