[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you nickname your pokemon? I grew up never doing it, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

File: nope.gif (1023KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
1023KB, 500x310px
Do you nickname your pokemon?

I grew up never doing it, but wanted to try it out. Started a new game on Platinum, nicknamed my Turtwig 'Atlas'. I stared at it for a while, then turned off my DS.

I just can't do it for some reason. My body rejects it.
>>
I either go all in or not at all. Most of the time not at all though, it feels weird to be the only person in the game world that does it. When I do it tends to be for nuzlockes and stuff.
>>
>>27962959

I don't like nicknames
>>
>>27962988
Yeah, that's my reasoning too.

Well that, and back in Gen I when the menu sprites were those shared generic icons, I would forget what pokemon was what.
>>
>>27962988
>it feels weird to be the only person in the game world that does it
It's not true, though
Some pokemons traded with NPCs have nicknames

But yeah, I don't ever do that too
>>
>>27962959
As long as we aren't naming them demon/angel/diety/after cartoon characters, then it's cool.
>>
>>27962988
>it feels weird to be the only person in the game world that does it.
You run into NPCs who nickname their Pokemon here and there, and at least in the first few games many of the ones you got from in-game trades had nicknames.

I think the issue is that you're assuming everyone shouts out the name of their Pokemon when they're sent out, when that's just a menu abstraction to affirm to you who's being sent out on both sides. In GO, you don't see nicknames for other people's Pokemon at gyms but you can see your own, so I assume it's just a similar thing - unless the Pokemon is introduced to you with its nickname you have no way to know it.
>>
>>27963141

People can nickname them that they want.

a nickname is a nickname
>>
>>27962959
>nicknamed my Turtwig 'Atlas'
there's your problem. you chose a really bland nickname. Have to put your heart and soul into it. Get esoteric as fuck, my favorite names are little inside jokes. Also avoid naming them after characters from shows and shit if you can.
>>
I tried it when I first played Emerald, got as far as naming my Mudkip "Mars". It felt unnatural to me, I had a hard time coming up with them. I liked Mars though, so it's my only Mon that I personally nicknamed.
>>
I nickname the Pokémon I use most in competitive
>>
>>27962959
I will say while I don't normally nickname pokemon, and I forget most of the times I do, the ones that I do remember really stick with me more than an unnamed pokemon of similar performance.

I had a Torterra named Holiday (after his dead predecessor Sunday) who made it all the way to Cynthia in a Platinum nuzlocke, and naming him got me all the more attached.
>>
>>27963239
Pretty much this.
I name my pokemon like I would name a pet. Something that fits its personality (for lack of a better word).
>>
>>27962959
You suck
>>
>>27962959
Just give it fun nicknames, name it after music you like and who make a fun pun between the pokemon and the music (ex:Mamoswine named Moskau) or other things like this, it keep the fun part of the pokemon name and also make it personnal
>>
>>27962959
I named my Scraggy with perfect stats 'Wesker' for some reason.
>>
>>27962959
I only nickname on Nuzlockes.
>>
>>27963312
The problem is, how do you give a unique and fitting nickname to a pokemon you just caught.

The alternative is wait until they grow on you, then change it, but at that point I'm already too attached to it's default name.
>>
>>27962959
I use nicknames so I know which Pokemon I was working with and which I wasn't. I work thematically when I'm breeding as well so I can flick through the PC and tell what's expendable and what isn't.
I think of it like writing your name on your underwear, but I don't do that so that's a shit comparison.
>>
>>27962959
I don't nickname because it makes them a pain in the ass to tell apart in certain situations.
That and I never really cared for it.
>>
I nicknamed my treecko Kyrie, nicknamed the first few I caught then stopped because it was fucking lame
>>
>Load up friends Red years ago
>Blaze
>Splashy
>Rocky
>Shocky
>>
>>27963393
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Like renaming your dog after a year or whatever wouldn't really make sense I suppose.
>>
>>27963462
>Charmander
>Magikarp
>Geodude
>Pikachu

I'm guessing
>>
Occasionally when I feel like it.
Usually just go for band names and music referenes.
The only nickname I use consistently is Aerosmith for my regional bird.
>>
>>27962959
I don't think I started until Gen IV-V? I never really cared for the idea until I kind of joined a head-canon story thing with some friends, and then I decided to give it a try. It's pretty fun, but I'd never call it necessary.
>>
I have a Kecleon and Clefable on one of my teams named Cosmo and Wanda

I also have a Venusaur named Zaur Jr. since I like the band Dinosaur Jr. and my original Venusaur's name was Zaur

Most of the time they're just jokes or something I find funny. I never do anything too serious
>>
>>27962959
I mostly go with what comes to me at the time. I prefer to name them with actual names (eg: a Kingdra named Percival, a Politoed named Rasphody, and a Cincinno named Tristan), but sometimes I can't help but give them silly reference names. I started nicknaming in B2 in which I challenged myself to name every pokemon i caught.
>>
>>27963579
>Aerosmith for my regional bird.

I dig it.
>>
I've only ever used nicknames to shorten a name, like how crystal named her Misdreavus "Little Miss"

I have a Swampert named "Kip" and one or two others, but that's it..
>>
I could understand nick naming if the games were something akin to an MMO in the traditional sense. However, being the only one in game to do it makes me feel special snowflake.
>>
Nicknaming is pure autism. Don't do it
>>
>>27964072
>using a feature of the game is autistic
>don't do it and instead be incredibly self-conscious about how people might judge you for giving names to your monsters in a children's game
Hilarious, m8, please keep it up
>>
>>27962959
Don't name them after something but make a name for them
>>
>>27963209
Of course you can. Just be ready to accept that you're a cringe monster.
>>
>>27962959
>Named my Zangoose David Bowie
>prettyhappywithlife.jpg
>>
>>27962959
It's the only way you can customize your pokemon, besides balls. Makes me feel like they're mine.
>>
>>27964135
>damage control from the autist that nicknames every one of his pokémon something incredibly autistic.
>>
I nickname all my Pokemon, in various different styles. Some of them are puns, some are just names, some are the Japanese/other language name for the species. In my X playthrough right now I have:

>Gekkouga the Greninja
>Huntress the Pyroar
>Elizap the Helioptile
>Gogo the Skiddo
>Tank the Pancham
>>
>>27962959
If I care about the Pokemon enough, I will nickname it.

Didn't even bother nicknaming my Pokemon in AS though cause I was just gonna bring over the level 10 Pokemon I bred in X and use them for the rest of the game.
>>
>>27962959
All the time. It just makes them more like individuals, like a bit like, well themselves, kinda like we all have our own names and personality.
>>
I don't name mine that much, but I do always give names to the ones I've bred. I have a Gardevoir named Arya and a Chansey named Sina. One thing I really don't like to do is name legendaries, except the delta episode Rayquaza I named Flash Gordon.
>>
As some have said before it feels pretty weird how you're the only one in the game giving nicknames besides mons you get in trades and pokemon in contests

I still always nickname the pokés I use in wi-fi battles, though

> AND I HATE HOW YOU CAN'T NICKNAME POKÉMON YOU GET IN TRADES
>>
>>27962959
Only in Nuzlockes
>>
>naming your dog 'dog'
>>
>>27966507
Also named a couple of GOmon I was putting in gyms but since othr people don't see the names I stopped
>>
>>27965931
Yeah, well you autism your autism with autism autism. Autist.
>>
>>27962959
>I grew up never doing it, but wanted to try it out.
Same. I really wanna do it, but holy shit I'm so awful at coming up with names it might as well be considered a talent. I absolutely can't do it for shit.
>>
>>27965931
You are in a Pokemon message board.
We are all autistic here, sport.
>>
>>27965931
Nah, I really don't. I was simply mocking you for projecting your autism on regular things at random.
Nicknames are a useful feature of the games, I use it for management purposes. I also have to name things a lot anyway, occupational hazard, because I'm not some hermit freak who lurks on 4chan calling things autistic for absolutely no reason... So I'm more than capable of naming my stuff. You autist.
>>
>>27965931
>it's another autism is a rebuttal episode
>>
I've had runthroughs where I named every single one I caught and others where I named nkne at all. Right now I'm playing B2 and after 5 badges I've only named 4 or 5 of them (only 3 in my party)
>>
File: Untitled.png (31KB, 401x318px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31KB, 401x318px
>>27966642
My exact problem. My nicknames are either puns I find lame 5 minutes later, or boring real names like 'Tom'

I hate it
>>
I usually follow a naming theme for my party members because it helps me in getting creative and abounding my usual unoriginal nicknames.

I just did a BW2 run and named all my mons after musical instruments, like "Theremin" the Electrivire and "Drum" the Azumarril.
It's just fun to see them all come together. (Yes, I'm a fucking autist)

I'm thinking "Space" is going to be the naming theme for my Sun run.
>>
>>27966931
>Abounding.
AVOIDING. I'm a shitty phoneposter
>>
>>27966931
That's a good idea. My only problem is when I play pokemon, I don't usually plan out a team, I just catch everything then decide as I go. And if I need something specific, I can always change it out.

So I'd need to nickname EVERYTHING I catch, and sticking to a theme might make it too easy to run out of names.
>>
nickname ruins every chance to ever trade your mon
>>
>>27967082
Start with something easy, like for example "Food".
I did that in a Nuzlocke and when you feel that you are running out of names you can start adding shit like restaurants, spices and cooking techniques.

Again, it all depends on how autistic you feel. I like to go all out
>>
>>27967116
You don't need to trade if you already completed your living Dex.
Get out kiddo, nothing personal.
>>
>>27966931
I do it thematically as well

>>27967082
>I don't usually plan out a team
I've never planned out a team. I just pick a theme based on the region and get naming. As an example, when the virtual console RBY came out I themed it around radical feminism and I sarcastically named everything accordingly like Cisscum the Nidoran, et.c.
>>
Every single one
>>
File: heyyy.jpg (62KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
heyyy.jpg
62KB, 1920x1080px
>>27967198
Huh, might start Platinum back up and try this. Thanks
>>
Yeah, I nickname them all anymore, feels more connected to them than just "Oh Rattata you fainted, whatever." and now its like "Joey no!"
>>
>>27967262
>Radical Feminism.
Holy shit anon. That's a good one
As a fellow themefag I may copy that one in the future (Sarkeesian the Snorlax comes to mind)
>>
>>27962959
Usually, yeah.
It's cool to pretend pokemon are more than just numbers.
>>
>>27967318
Yeah, I normally stick to stuff like Religious Pantheons or Nationalities or something broad like that, but radical feminism just happened that time.
I'm probably going with Intellectuals for Sun/Moon. Zizek the Bewear is a strong possibility.
>>
>>27967347
So, what did you nickname your alomomola?
>>
>>27962959
It's normal not to attach a persona to a digital monster.
>>
>>27965838
>caring what people do in a single player game
>talking about cringe
How ironic
>>
>>27962959
im that guy who names his pokemon after gods
or other esoteric shit
>>
I name all my Pokemon, feels disrespectful not to.
>>
File: Pokemon FireRed_01.png (8KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon FireRed_01.png
8KB, 240x160px
I go JoJo and give them song/album/artist/band names, usually. Not even ones that are necessarily related. Just ones I like that also fit the character limit or that I can work around. Have my firered black team that I finally managed to finish after taking a break.
>>
Nope I don't nickname, Feels weird and I don't know why.
I just rather them as normal.
>>
>>27962959
Always. I don't usually trade for pokes or anything because they MUST have names.
My hypnos name is honalee, which is where puff the magic dragon is from.
Fuck you.
>>
>>27971056
I tried that but most of the ones I want to use are too long
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.