[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I want to get into Pokemon. Do you guys have a FAQ of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: 1469918790469.jpg (139KB, 1194x1251px) Image search: [Google]
1469918790469.jpg
139KB, 1194x1251px
Hello, I want to get into Pokemon.
Do you guys have a FAQ of sorts, or something for beginners?

Or just tell me which game would you recommend as entry point.
I'm planning to begin with the very first one.
>>
>>27851287
rbgy isn't a good first game to start with in the series
in my own opinion you should start with x and y, it's a nice easy game to break you into the series, the party-wide exp share and such. when you get a bit more experienced, rbgy should be a cakewalk for you.
>>
>>27851287
>>27852162
As much as we shit on XY it really is a sensible point to enter the series on. If you're determined to start with RBGY though, at least play the remakes FireRed or LeafGreen instead. Unlike the originals FRLG don't look or play like trash.
>>
>>27852162
Dont do this OP , just don't.
crystal is a nice starting point , then fr/lg than emerald . after that platinum but if you enjoyed crystal try hgss. then savor the beautiful story of bw and bw2 . wait for sm or cry about how shit X/Y is
>>
>>27852224

XY is trash outside of having the most polished mechanics. The content is sorely lacking.

Start with Fire Red or Leaf Green. You don't need a FAQ, it's a game for kids.
>>
>>27851287
Emulate fire red, crystal, and emerald onto your computer.
>>
>>27852250
The XP All is great for trying out a variety of 'mons, which is, despite what vp says, the entire point. If it was to let you grind you couldnt turn it off. But you can, because its supposed to be on to help your newbies catch up.

By the time OP has gotten a decent point through XY, he can move on to Sun/Moon. Only then should he regress to gen4 (Not gen5, it relied too much on the now defunct Wifi and is way too difficult if youre not comfortable with the series yet)
>>
>FAQ
Why would you need it?
Just start with Leaf Green or Fire Red and have fun. That's the remake of the first gen (which is almost unplayable nowadays). Then play whatever you want, Crystal might be a fine choice as your second game.
If you want into competitive, just google it. There's plenty of tips on the Internet.
>>
>>27852311

It's a fucking game for kids. None of the games are hard. XY is just completely braindead, and the story mode is the worst in the series.

Also, gen 1 had the same exp share as XY you fucking Kalosperm.
>>
File: it's ur post fam.jpg (3KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
it's ur post fam.jpg
3KB, 160x160px
>>27852399
>>
File: 1303341251108.jpg (21KB, 333x258px) Image search: [Google]
1303341251108.jpg
21KB, 333x258px
>>27852435

Stop trying to ruin OP's experience with your stupidity.
>>
>>27851287

FRLG > Crystal > Emerald > Platinum > BW > BW2 > XY

HGSS and ORAS are optional. BW2 also honestly.
>>
File: 1468785168611.png (119KB, 433x433px) Image search: [Google]
1468785168611.png
119KB, 433x433px
>>27852461
>stupidity
>also, gen 1 had the same exp share as xy
>>
>>27852461
>Also, gen 1 had the same exp share as XY you fucking Kalosperm.
It fucking didn't you idiot. It literally just did not. That's why he thinks you're baiting, because you're acting like a fucking retard.
>>
>>27852520
>>27852537

Gen 1's exp share affected the entire party you fucking literal babies. Look it up.
>>
>>27852561
You are the stupidest person I've seen on this site. Gen 1 is different because it reduces the amount of exp gained by the battling pokemon, so you have to make a choice between getting full exp for that mon or for the rest of the team. Fellate a shotgun you ignorant piece of human shit.
>>
>>27852561
In gen 1, exp is evenly divided amongst the party. If you have a team of 6, 100 exp becomes 50 for the battler, 10 for everyone else.
In XY, 100 exp is a full 100 for the battler, 50 for everyone else.
>>
>>27852633
>being this pedantic

A new level of autism. It's not even the point.

There was no problem leveling a new member in previous games because of how exp progression worked. The newest exp share is a fucking detriment to the Pokemon experience because it makes the game even more braindead.

The fact that you're basing your suggestion off that makes you the lowest level of casual filth in the Pokemon playerbase. Please stop telling the OP to experience this series in the worst possible way. You might as well tell him to experience Star Wars by watching the prequels only.
>>
>>27852748
I'm not the person that suggested xy you cumguzzling shitstain. My first post in this thread is >>27852537 pointing out what a hopeless idiot you are.
>It's not even the point.
You said that gen 1 had the"same exp share as XY". It does not. So stop your shit damage control, accept that you were objectively wrong, and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>27852748
SUUUUUUUUCCKK AAAAA DIIIIIIICK
>>
>>27851287
Stick to your mobile game normie
>>
>>27852898
>normie
Go back to /r9k/ normalfag
>>
>>27851287
Op just start with omega ruby and alpha sapphire or x and y and ignore all theses posts. Play SM when it comes out and play bw2,HGSS, and platinum after you beat x and y
>>
Just play XY or ORAS, OP. There's no real point to playing the mechanically outdated games. Plus, the EXP Share in the newer games makes it easy to try out a lot of different Pokemon, which is good for someone new to the series.
>>
Don't start with RBY. The AI and movepools are terrible, especially by today's standards. FireRed / LeafGreen would be a good start if you want to start at the beginning. Otherwise, any of these
>HeartGold / SoulSilver (You could play Crystal instead, it is outdated but not as badly as RBY)
>Emerald (Ignore Ruby / Sapphire)
>Platinum (Ignore Diamond / Pearl)
>Black / White (followed by the relevant sequel)
>X/Y
I personally don't recommend Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire but each to their own.
>>
>>27852806
>being this pedantic about a minor detail that's barely even relevant to the topic or argument
>being this asspained and desperate to prove something

Like I said, autism, and other unresolved issues.

The conversation is about getting the OP to experience the series properly, not the precise mechanics of exp share. So feel free to fuck off yourself instead of going off on your sperg tangent.
>>
>>27851287
Protips

1. Gens 1 and 2 original games are only good for nostalgia, never bother with any of them because they have been remade in later gens. The one exception perhaps is if you wish to play the virtual console version in preparation for S/M because VC pokemon will be transferrable to S/M.

2. Every game worth playing at this point can be played on a 3DS. The only point in a GBA is to play FR/LG which are better on emulator anyways. Kanto can still be experienced through HG/SS though I will warn you, these games are hard to find for a reasonable price since they were so popular.

I would recommend starting with Red/Blue version on the VC, then if you can find a copy of HG or SS, play that. Then either black or white, then either black 2 or white 2. Serebii has all of the version exclusive info for that decision. Then move into 6th gen, either X or Y, and then OR or AS.

Since you can easily transfer up from these gens (technically you can transfer all of the way from 3, but you need an original DS with GBA slot to do it) your dex should be naturally near completion just from catching the stuff you see. Full completion is much easier in gen 6 due to much improved online functionality.

>>27852399
No it didn't you literal retard, it split XP.
>>
>>27852162
Anyone that's too casual to play older games probably won't acquire enough of an interest in video games to justify the effort of getting into them. If OP doesn't start with the series' roots, he may as well not even start at all.
>>
>>27852988
>Emerald ignored
>DPPt ignored
>XY and ORAS being worth playing
Kalosbabby detected.
If you're going to ask the braindead children on /vp/ what to start with, you may as well just pick one at random, OP.
>>
>>27852988
>Kanto can still be experienced through HG/SS

Gen 2 Kanto is not a fucking Kanto experience. Fuck you for even implying this.
>>
>>27852985
Yes, and part of that was saying XY was a good stating point for the XP Share system. You sperged out and said RBY's was the same, which it isn't. That was the point, and you were incorrect.
>>
>>27852985
>I-it was a super small minor detail, it didn't even matter
>S-s-stop being so butthurt
No, you fucking retard. You made a false statement, I told you to fuck off, and now you're in damage control mode. Seriously, the level of damage control exhibited here is ridiculous. How much of a faggot would one have to be to not just accept that he was wrong and move on? Why haven't you just killed yourself from shame yet?
>>
>>27853069
The point was that XY is braindead, and exp share is not what defines the Pokemon experience.

>>27853125
It WAS a minor detail you stupid fuck. I did move on here >>27852748 by elaborating on what actually matters. You're the one dwelling on irrelevant shit because you can't refute the main argument.
>>
>>27853206
No, you idiot. You said that the gen 1 and XY exp shares were the same. I said they weren't. These are literally my only posts in this thread:
>>27852537
>>27852633
>>27852806
>>27853125
I was right. I never mentioned anything about the "main argument", so stop moving the goalposts and pretending something that literally makes you objectively, unarguably wrong is a "minor detail". You are a gigantic faggot and this conversation is over. I feel so sorry for your parents.
>>
>>27853315

And I said you were being pedantic about something mostly irrelevant to the argument and topic, which remains true.

No, it does not make me wrong about XY being too easy and a poor starting point for the series. At this point you're basically derailing the thread.

I feel sorry for your parents for dealing with a screeching autist who throws violent tantrums over nothing.
>>
>>27853603
i have no stakes in this conversation by you are an idiot. if you say that x=y, and someone else says no it doesn't and points out how, they aren't being a pedant. you are just wrong
>>
>Anonymous ⭐⭐

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>27854887
Just ignore him anon, he probably actually has mental problems IRL or something.
>>
>>27855418
>gen 1 exp share is the same as gen 6 exp share
>no it isn't, exp is distributed differently in gen 1 that makes it more challenging
>NO THAT ISNT WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT YOURE SO AUTISTC IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER IM STILL RIGHT
mental gymnastics man..
>>
File: 1430338421543.jpg (136KB, 1024x891px) Image search: [Google]
1430338421543.jpg
136KB, 1024x891px
OP here.
Thanks for all the tips.

I've decided to start with FireRed. Might move on to Crystal and Emerald after that.

I know there are newer games, but I want to get the partial old school experience - maybe not in black and white, but old enough.

And when I asked about a FAQ, I did not mean a guide or walkthrough for the games, I meant a /vp/ sticky of sorts, where most of the newbie questions are answered, so that guys like me wouldn't need to make new threads about it. But this one seems to have turned out quite nicely.
>>
OP here, I am a faggot that feel the need to be handholded through a literal children's game, pls help me
>>
>>27855777
checkem
>>
>>27855720
>I've decided to start with FireRed
you done fucked up
>>
>>27855689
Gen 1's Exp All is fundamentally different from Exp Share. Plus it takes up inventory space in a game where you dont have a lot to spare.
>>
>>27855720
>most of the newbie questions are answered
Its assumed no one is a newbie at Pokemon
>>
>>27856048
exactly. >>27853603 is convinced it's identical to gen 6
>>
>>27856048
Exactly, they are very different.
>>
>>27851287
Why?
We're stuck here. Why would you doom yourself like this?
>>
File: 1443950794451.png (75KB, 620x406px) Image search: [Google]
1443950794451.png
75KB, 620x406px
I always felt that going by release order and playing third versions was the way to go, with remakes being optional depending on your interest in seeing how the games changed. So Yellow, Crystal, FRLG, Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, BW, B2W2, XY, ORAS.
>>
>>27851287
Just play it and look up stuff you need help with. I would suggest leafgreen/firered cuz it has help menus built in.

>>27856048
Exp all spams your text box after every KO.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.