[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder that Kanto is the best designed region. It encourages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: hghj.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
hghj.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
Daily reminder that Kanto is the best designed region.

It encourages the player to explore, solve puzzles, and finish quests to progress and navigate through the region like a video game should. It felt like an adventure. It played like the first Zelda game. As opposed Hoen and later games where you just keep going to next town until you get to the end.
>>
>>27762175
>>27762175
>Hoenn

Hoenn had a ton of side routes and looparounds. Its a great region for exploring that's brought down by a large expanse of water.
>>
>>27762175
>As opposed Unova and later games where you just keep going to next town until you get to the end.

fixed.
>>
>>27762175
every game prevents you from continuing until you "solve puzzles and finish quests" though, they're just sometimes more obvious about their roadblocks. The only time in Kanto you have actual freedom is when you can choose to clear the Fuscia or Saffron gym first.

It's very much NOT like Zelda, where you have no direction at all and can wander all the fuck around, from the very start Kanto railroads you down the intended path.
>>
The best judge of how much exploration a region offers is how many routes and caves there are that you can visit, but aren't forced to visit.
>>
I hadn't thought about it until now but yeah, as far as the map design goes, I agree that Kanto is still somehow the best. People don't give Tajiri's direction enough credit.
>>
File: Advanced bait.png (245KB, 462x333px) Image search: [Google]
Advanced bait.png
245KB, 462x333px
>>27762175
>the worst region is the best designed
nostalgia glasses
>>
Kanto is bland as hell

There's nothing secret to explore outside of the legendary bird hideouts. Every other region has some secret optional places or at least, more interesting and charismatic locations.

Although it's not bad at all in design composition and it's great for its time.
>>
>>27762175
Too bad every route in kanto was the same boring grassy plains with no variation whatsoever.
>>
>>27762175
Kanto is kind of bland compared to the other regions. Kind of short too.
>>
>>27762334
This
>>
>>27762208
Out of curiosity, what about water is any different than just having it be grass?
>>
>>27762175
>solve puzzles
What you mean trying go down one path only to have the game block you and tell you to go the other way?
Yeah, great puzzles.
>>
>>27762175
>Kanto is the best region
While I somewhat agree, there are times where you had to play errand boy or get an item to proceed.
>>
>>27762391
Grass offers the occasional break, and land offers more varied terrain. Imagine a route that's nothing but a long stretch of endless long grass with the occasional rock, it'd be rather bland as well.

What also didn't help was that hoenn only had the same few Pokémon on each water route, so there was extra tedium there.

They needed to break it up with more small islands to explore, and make diving spots more usefull. Add in some more variety with things you encounter surfing, and it would have been much better.
>>
>>27762223
There were plenty of option side paths in Unova you autistic fuck.
>>
>>27762759
Such as? I'm struggling to think of any that they don't force you down for plot reasons at some point.
>>
>>27762555
I mean that's literally all Grass routes so it's not hard to imagine. Repetitive Pokemon I can understand.
>>
what if I want to be interrupted by cutscenes every new town???
>>
>>27762806
Abyssal ruins
>>
>>27762823
Alright. Show me 3 grass routes that are a solid block of grass for the entire length.
>>
>>27762175
This is what Genwunners actually believe.
wew lad
>>
>>27762902
>Post game

Cool. What about before the elite four?
>>
>>27762943
Water routes are entire blocks of water? That's new.
>>
>>27762391
Less varied terrain, no breaks in the chance for encounters, you can't run or bike while surfing, and while different routes will have different music, it will only be the surfing music while doing so.
>>
>>27762960
>It's a "teenager/kid tries to force the "genwunner" meme because they didnt grow up with Gen 1 and cant appreciate how definitive it was" epsiode!
>>
>>27763017
>it will only be the surfing music
First geniune complaint.
>>
>>27762995
Water routes are basically caves that you don't have to actually navigate, and can just sail in one direction.

It gets bland.
>>
>>27763038
>It's a "teenager/kid tries to force the "anti-genwunner" meme because they didnt grow up with Gen 2-7 and cant appreciate how definitive the other games are" epsiode!
>>
>>27763077
I mean... if you don't want to explore sure, every route is like that.
>>
>>27763113
That doesn't even make any sense Anon
>>
>>27762334
Second worst.
>>
the best region for that was sinnoh anyway
>>
>>27763518

This. I don't even particularly care for Sinnoh, but I will say that - Platinum especially - had a lot of cool, tucked away areas both during the main game and the post game.
>>
>>27762986
Mistralton Cave for one. During my first playthrough of Black, I went right passed it without even realizing it was there. You can access it once you get Surf.

Also, you can use Surf on the body of water in Route 1 and get to Routes 17/18, both of which you can completely miss unless you really wanted Larvesta/Volcarona on your team before the post-game.
>>
The only reason Kanto isn't the shittiest region is because Johto exists.
>>
shame all of its dungeons are trash tier
>>
>>27762175
Johto is the best region. Kanto and Unova are bland, but not pure shit like Hoenn.
>>
File: 1470848236841.jpg (1MB, 1248x1781px) Image search: [Google]
1470848236841.jpg
1MB, 1248x1781px
>>27764667
Your shit taste can't go un-(You)'d senpai
>>
>>27764889
Johto is garbage though. It's half the size of all the other regions.
>>
>>27764889
Johto is complete shit. Can't even catch all of the Johto pokemon there, the towns were cramped and boring, the music was shit, literally nothing memorable about it except for Ecruteak if you're a weeb.
>>
>>27763518
I hated all that backtracking, this keeps me away from replaying Sinnoh ever again
>>
>>27763113

Literally what
>>
>>27763518
Sinnoh overdid it with too many required HMs
>>
Daily reminder that Hoenn is the best designed region.

It encourages the player to explore, solve puzzles, and finish quests to progress and navigate through the region like a video game should. It felt like an adventure. It played like the first Zelda game. As opposed Johto and earlier games where you just keep going to next town until you get to the end.
>>
>>27765108
Honestly Hoenn was the first time they got region design right. A complete 180 from the shitfest that was Johto and its ghost town Kanto.
>>
File: 블화2_게이트_내부.png (13KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
블화2_게이트_내부.png
13KB, 256x192px
>>27765108
Hoenn felt the most alive because it didn't have these stupid buildings between each route.
>>
>>27765609
shit you could go from Start Town all the way to the start E4 Cave without a single loading screen
>>
>>27765609
This small nitpick is what killed ORAS for me despite Ruby being my first game. The screen transitions got really jarring for just entering a new area.
>>
>>27765870
What killed ORAS for me was seeing that they gutted Granite cave for that giant mosaic and nothing else. I still played it, but I much prefer replaying the originals.
>>
>>27765972
>they gutted Granite cave
But it's the exact same outside moving Steven's room. It also prevents Sapphire players from cheesing Brawly and forces you to backtrack if you want to get a strong Pokemon(Aron)
>>
>>27765016
Ho-oh was a good piece of music, but I agree, Johto was godawful.
>>
>>27765609
This. I hated how they added barriers to ORAS. The normal game was fine, and I loved how you could go across the entire thing and the only "load points" were when you went through the caves... and even then, all of them save for Victory Road had an alternate path that didn't have any breaks.
>>
>>27766101
I'll be honest, I didn't even notice. O just saw the huge ramp leading down and figured they ditched it. Dewford is so out of the way that I never considered going back.
>>
>>27762391
The surf pokemon variety in RSE/ORAS is pretty bad, nothing but Pelippers and Tentacools. In addition, you need a whopping 3 water HMs to fully navigate.

ORAS was a little better, I'm fairly sure the encounter rate is lower and if you're using a sharpedo you can go pretty fast. But it's still not that good, it would have been way better if they replaced HMs with something different, or at the very least Dive.
>>
>>27766588
If they had somehow fused all the functions into surf, or at least united dive and waterfall and locked the specific usage to badges, I think that would have helped a lot. As it stands, you basically just have to catch a wailmer and use it as an HM slave for that portion.
>>
File: 4W7ng1Y.png (94KB, 1302x1301px) Image search: [Google]
4W7ng1Y.png
94KB, 1302x1301px
Really? Nobody posted this image yet?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.