[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So just what maketh a Fairy? >inb4 it being pink Alola

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 292
Thread images: 34

File: fairy_type_confirmed.png (97KB, 530x292px) Image search: [Google]
fairy_type_confirmed.png
97KB, 530x292px
So just what maketh a Fairy?
>inb4 it being pink
Alola says eat shit to that
>>
No es hada,es fake
>>
>>27722542

That it has attributes typically associated in folklore with fairies or fairy-like creatures.
>>
take a ghost type, then take away the spoop.
They keep all the mysticism and strangeness, but without the "they eat toddlers" shit.
>>
Fairy seems to be a generic "magic" type. Like ghost, but without stuff like spirits, possession, power from the shadows, etc.

It's why they tend to pair up Hex Maniacs and Fairy Tale Girls for doubles.
>>
If gamefreak wants it to kill dragons and fighting types because it's just a game mechanic
>>
Its a magic thing that isnt dead or telekinetic
>>
>>27722542
Like Psychic, it seems to represent many things, such as connections to nature and feeling or some specific myth that might have to do with their origin. It also seems to have something to do with life energy. To be perfectly honest, I have no exact idea, and I don't feel anyone else does for sure either.
>>
>>27722632
>Fairy seems to be a generic "magic" type.
Except that's always been Psychic.

Fairy is more like nature spirits.
>>
Why is jigglypuff a fairy? Or marill for that matter?
>>
>>27722542

It seems to vary a lot, from generic "nice/gentle" creatures, to benevolent tricksters, to certain Pokemon based on real-world mythologies, etcetera. There doesn't seem to be one single unifying element.
>>
It's whatever the fuck they want it to be. There is no consistent pattern. Easily the most confusingly themed type.
>>
File: 984px-X_EN_boxart.png (1014KB, 984x899px) Image search: [Google]
984px-X_EN_boxart.png
1014KB, 984x899px
>>27722542
>Alola says eat shit to that
But one of the mascots in Gen 6 already invalidated that.
>>27722698
They evolve into rabbits.
>>
>>27722668
Fairy and Psychic have a relationship similar to Ice and Water or Rock and Ground, where there's a lot of overlap between them thematically.
>>
>>27722668
Psychic has always been relegated strictly to psychic phenomena, though. Telepathy, Telekinesis, mindreading, etc. They never really used shit like "turning magical energy from the moon into lasers" or shit like that.
>>
>>27722698
Probably moon bunny related.
>>
>>27722698

Not sure about Jigglypuff, but Marill's line are based on Moon Rabbits (Huge Power's Japanese name includes a pun about them, apparently, which is why Diggersby's line also gets them).
>>
>>27722755
well I know it was pretty bunk already in Gen 6, but they're defence was always
>well that's just the exception
So I went with what Gen VII is doing in general since that refutation does not work with that.
>>
Pretty much Mysticism/Folklore and Life/Nature stuff beyond just straight up Grass (which is why the flower fairies aren't Grass, but the mushroom is because it's a Fairy Ring type thing)
>>
>>27722778
Cresselia, Delphox, Hoopa
>>
>>27722542
Many are similar to nymphs, being spirits of nature. The type is also associated with love and kindness, based on Pokémon like Togekiss being Fairy-type, the "lovey-dovey" moves that are Fairy-type, and the type's effectiveness against Dark-types. Also, some Fairy-types are actually based on real-life legends.
>>
Literally just the cute/"mystic" type. It's entirely based off of how they look, rather than being a defining feature.

It's a dumb type, I know.
>>
>>27722816
I'm not sure why people get upset about a lot of fairy's being pink anyway. It's just the stereotypical color for the type like water types being blue, electric being yellow, etc. There's a lot of different ones for each type but they all have a sort of default look/color.
>>
The fairy typing is ruining Pokemon with all of it's shitty design aspects forced onto half the Pokemon they make.
>>
>>27722885
please reconsider
>>
>Skitty isnt fairy type
>>
>>27722766
Water and Ice don't really overlap that much, but it very much is a Steel/Rock/Ground situation, but with Ghost and Psychic instead. It really fills no niche, no Pokemon fits exclusively into the Fairy type. Rock is also overly specific, and most Rock types could easily fit another type, or, hell, combine with Ground to make the Earth type.

My one hope is that Rock/Ground combine into Earth type, and Fairy/Psychic combine into the Mystic/Magic type. It'd eliminate a lot of problems.
>>
>>27722542
Well, Fairy seems to be mythical,mystical, magical, whimsical, crafty, and mischievous all rolled into one. You could argue that Psychic has these attributes, but Psychic is more mental stuff, as in mind-control, telekinesis, telepathy, intelligence, etc. Fairy really is a definite type on its own.
>>
>>27722930
I won't. It's the Mass Effect 3 of Pokemon types. I will forever be eternally mad about it.
>>
>>27722947
Isnt mimicku fairy/ghost?
Id say it wouldve been a pure ghost 4 gens ago.
>>
>>27722973
Well okay, but I feel like you have not given it much thought.
>>
>>27722942
Probably because of Normalize.
>>
>maketh
>>
>>27722997
I've put a lot of thought into it. It's a completely unnecessary type that has ruined Pokemon for me completely.
>inb4 Dragons
Bug, Water, and Fighting have always been my favorite.
>>
>>27722942
Skitty is literally the most normal Pokemon due to >>27723003
>>
>>27723003
Yet its pink and cute it fits the sterotype for fairy. More then Florges.
>>
>>27722870
Hoopa doesn count because it's manipulating timesspace.
>>
>>27722991
It probably would've been pure Ghost even in Gen 5. Klefki would've been Steel/Ghost, Sylveon would've been Flying. Xerneas would be Normal/Psychic, and Slurpuff and Aromatisse would've never been made
>>
>>27723031
okay
>>
Fuck fairy types. Except clefairy and togepi lines those are ok.
>>
>>27722698
Marill and Azumarill have lore that link them to their environments in a more mystical manner compared to other Water types. Marill tends to aquatic plantlife and Azumarill saves those that are drowning.
Their descriptions also read as if they're supernaturally aquatic instead of sensibly aquatic.

For Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff, it just seems that their explicitly mysterious/abnormal physical biology grants them faeriehood.
>>
Pokemon's weird types are part of the reason I like it. I mean, what other games have a normal or bug type? I think maybe Yugioh has an insect thing or something but other than that I don't really know of much.
>>
>>27723031
>ruined Pokemon for me completely

Sure, that's in no way an overreaction.
>>
>>27722870
>Cresselia
Space = Psychic
>Delphox
Spellcasters = Psychic
>Hoopa
Hoopa can alter dimensional space and can transport islands in a teleportation-like fashion.
>>
>>27723059
I'm still confused about Xerneas tho.
>Gen 5 Tree Deer is part Grass.
>Gen 6 Tree Deer isn't part Grass.
It'd be a perfect way to have Life and Death counter each-other.
>>
File: 600px-209Snubbull[1].png (187KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
600px-209Snubbull[1].png
187KB, 600x600px
>>27722542
>inb4 it being pink
>Alola says eat shit to that

This is what I feel legitamitly justified a fairy type during their initial release of the type: They wanted to put in a bunch of them, but didn't quite have a feel for what fairy-type was entirely supposed to be so they went ahead and gave it to the "less than normal pink types".

Clefairy, Togepi, Mr.Mime, they all make sense as fairies: they're spooky, unsettling, folklore-inspired kind of fairy pokemon and in this new coming generation they're focusing heavily on fairy types being "animistic" or "fey" types.

But pokemon like Jigglypuff, Maril & Snubbull- Snubbull especially- don't really make any sense.

I guess... I guess there's two kinds of fairy types: ones that physically resemble the qualities of a "fairy" type and ones that possess the characteristics of a "fairy" type???
>>
>>27723153
It's the reason I'm not going to buy Sun/Moon. Pretty much exclusively THE reason.

Unless they get a much needed nerf, I'm done with that. I'm just going to use Pokemon Showdown.
>>
>>27723184
Speaking of, why the fuck is Aromatisse not part Flying? Why isn't Florges part Grass?

Fucking special snowflake type. Too cool to be brought down by shit types like Grass, because that might actually make them balanced.
>>
>>27723192
Snubbull is literally called the fairy Pokemon though. Not sure why, maybe its some kind of ugly goblin thing from some obscure folk-lore but it was definitely intentional.
>>
>>27723192

Snubbull is ltierally "the Fairy Pokemon".
>>
>>27722791
Wigglytuff is also a Moon rabbit as Jigglypuff gains rabbit-like characteristics after consuming a moon-based stone.
>>
>>27723177

A wizard would be psychic type

A sorcerer would be fairy type
>>
>>27723243
Aromatisse can't even fly. Just because it sort of looks like a bird doesn't mean it can fly.
>>
>>27723270
>>27723263

And Blastoise is literally the "shellfish" pokemon.
>>
Similar to psychic. The difference being psychic powers are natural but fairy powers are magical. If it can use magic, it's a fairy usually.
>>
>>27722791

Fucking hell that also explains why mega mawile gets it after growing two head jaws

It turns into a fucking rabbit
>>
>>27723321

Shellfish is a mistranslation. In Japanese, it's "the Shell Pokemon", which does make snese.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 200x200px
>>27723212
>Pokemon Showdown
>where there are too viable Fairies in every tier
You should probably quit Pokemon altogether if the best type upsets you that much, desu.
>>
>>27723321
Well when there's a shellfish type come talk to me.
>>
>>27723304
>Scyther
>Dodrio
>Doduo
>Farfetchd
>Gyarados
Come off it. Tons of Flying types don't Fly. It's made up of like 100 Pokemon. Being a bird is grounds enough to be Flying type.
>>
>>27723343
The pun is actually about mochi. Azumarill and Diggersby have it because rabbits on the moon pound mochi. Mawile has it because mochi is depicted as a signature food of the futakuchi-onna, which it's based off of.
>>
>>27723243
Aromatisse should be poison going by the Pokedex.
>>
>>27723347
>Garchomp at 24% usage rates
"Best type"
>>
>>27723275
>A sorcerer would be fairy type
Not Psychic/Fairy? Aren't they specialized spellcasters?
>>
>>27723394
It should've just been Poison/Flying, desu. Just remove Fairy types, they make no sense anyways.
>>
>>27722542
Fairy is like a mix of Normal, Psychic, ghost, and dark without edginess
>>
>>27723375
Dodrio and Doduo can fly. Scyther has wings. Farfetched actually is a bird. Gyarados is lore based and flies in its animation.

Aromatisse isn't even a bird, it has paws dude. It just has a slight bird motif in its mask. If you were arguing the pre-evo this would make more sense, but even then its evo makes it clear that it isn't actually a bird.
>>
>>27723396
Night a single Fairy type has a link to "light". Maybe Xerneas with its rainbow antlers, but that's stretching it.

It's literally just the "fuck it, it's Fairy type" type. None of the Pokemon in it wouldn't be better off as another type. Every single one of them is a stretch, like Lucario being Steel type, or Cloyster and Jynx being Ice type.
>>
>>27722542
Magic I aint gotta explain shit.
>>
>>27723434
Also grass, without actually being plants.
>>
File: image.png (425KB, 776x965px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
425KB, 776x965px
>>27723398
Garchomp has always been good, though. Fairy is best and cutest type.
>>
>>27723396
I feel like it's more of a "Mana" type in a more general consideration of things.
>>
>Moonlight
>Dazzling Gleam
>Moonblast
>Light of Ruin
>Super-effective against Dark

Fairy is basically the Light-type people wanted, except like how Dark is more about dirty fighting than actual darkness, Fairy is about more than just "light".
>>
>>27723394
Poison/Fairy if anything.
>>
>>27723460
The only "magic" Pokemon are Psychic type.
>>
>>27722542
opposite of whatever makes something Dark
>>
>>27723456
>Every single one of them is a stretch
It's just the retconned ones that are a stretch (excluding Mr. Mime, Mawile, Clefable, Gardevoir, and Whimsicott). The ones introduced in VI and VII are fine though, and make sense as fairies.
>>
>>27722542
Literally fucking nothing. It's basically a second normal type in terms of the "style" of Pokemon it applies to. I guess the idea is that it relates to folklore and mysticism, but you can find some bullshit legend or folk tale about fucking anything. It was created purely as gameplay balance type that could be tacked onto anything they needed.
>>
>>27723425

If we remove Fairy, then we also have to remove Bug, Ghost, and Dragon, because those make just as much sense as types.
>>
Typing logic has been thrown out of the window. Sure there were always oddities like Gyarados and Doduo, but now it's way more common.

Drampa is Normal but Rockruff and Alolan Meowth aren't?

4/5 of the new Steel types are closer to Mawile/Lucario than, say, Steelix/Metagross.

Something about Minior being Flying also feels off. I guess I can accept that it's Flying because it's better at maneuvering in the air than other floating mons like Cryogonal.

Alolan Raichu screams Fairy but is Psychic because levitation I guess but there are plenty of floating non-Psychics like Tapu Koko, Glalie, Klink, Cryogonal, Klefki, Carbink, etc.
>>
>>27723491
Psychic types are based on Psi or mental energy not magic anon. Fairy should have just been the Magic Type fucking Gamefreak blew it.
>>
>>27723481
A cute type should not exist. It's as stupid of a concept as a "Manly" type that consists only of bearded, barrelchested Pokemon, explosions, DD tiddies, and monster trucks.

>Garchomp has always been good
Exactly. Then there didn't need to be a type to nerf the other Dragons that weren't Garchomp. It was just 'chomp, 'mence, and Multiscale 'nite that were problems, not Kingdra, Flygon, and Druddigon.
>>
>>27723521
>Fairy should have just been the Magic Type fucking Gamefreak blew it.

All Pokemon have magic powers, though.
>>
>>27723513
Ghost basically means Spirit Type, Bug is basically a way to distinguish attacks done by arthropods, Dragon is just DRAGONS ARE LIKE COOL DUDE.
>>
>>27723513
>Muh slippery slope
That's not how it works. What type would Caterpie be if not for Bug? What type would Haxorus be if not for Dragon? What type would Misdreavus be if not for Ghost?

What type would Sylveon be if not for Fairy? Flying.
>>
>>27723398
Garchomp is broken as fuck though. Ground is a godsend STAB for Dragon + those ridiculous stats and nearly flawless movepool
>>
>>27723511
Exactly.

Funny that, since Fairy ended up being tied with Steel for the most broken type in the game, somehow dethroning Water.
>>
>>27723552
Unless stated their powers are as normal as taking a dump in their realities. Magic is not controlling electricity anon it doing hexagrams to cause shit to happen and stuff.
>>
>>27723521
It's only "magic" in your retarded headcanon. I wish you retards would realize this. Fairy type was never the "magic" type, or the "light" type, or the "mystical" type. It makes no sense. It's a shoehorned attempt at adding a new type, and it hamfistedly destroyed the type chart balance.
>>
>>27723537
>It's as stupid of a concept as a "Manly" type

>implying that's not basically what Fighting is, with the majority of them being masculine-looking humanoids
>>
>>27723570
Why the fuck do you keep wanting to make fairies flying. It doesn't look anything like any flying type. If anything it would be normal.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>27723537
Fairy isn't just the cute type though. It's about mysticism, whimsical weirdness, and cheeky prank mons.

Nobody uses Outrage anymore. And button-spamming faggots got shoved out of the tier to where they belonged. It's great to taste the tears of butthurt Dragonfags.
>>
>>27723521
How are Bronzong and Delphox not magical?

Just face it Fairy is an inconsistent type that's being haphazardly applied just for the sake of new and shiny type.
>>
>>27723511
The thing about the Pokemon world is that a lot of the shit we consider supernatural is actually probably perfectly natural and sensical to them.
But then that ends up begging the question of what exactly is "mysterious/mystifying/incomprehensible" to them.
You see this a lot in Japanese media, where common sense in a fantasy world is completely different than common sense in the practical world.

Biologically speaking, to their researchers Fairy probably IS the "shit if I know what's going on" type.
>>
>>27723613
Anon Faeries are literally magical creatures.
>>27723614
Fighting means specializing in close combat or martial arts anon.
>>
>>27723570
>What type would Caterpie be if not for Bug?

Grass

>What type would Haxorus be if not for Dragon?

Normal

>What type would Misdreavus be if not for Ghost?

Dark
>>
>>27723576
Yes, and? That's a problem with Garchomp, not the other Pokemon. Garchomp wasn't the first non-legendary to be banned, and it will not be the last. Certain Pokemon are just overly strong (Blaziken, Garchomp, Greninja, Scizor, Clefairy). It has nothing to do with their type as a whole, but their traits. Hell, Tyranitar is really, really strong, pretty much broken since Gen 4, but that doesn't mean Rock and Dark needed nerfs.

Hit the individual Pokemon, not the type.
>>
>>27723627
It's not though. Bronzong and Delphox and other Psychic types have mind and space powers. Fairy types have whimsical otherworldly nature powers.
>>
>>27723614
Unrelated, but fighting is a pretty dumb type too. Unlike him though that's why I like it. Who else would think of the ability to fight as a type for a game. I think some of you guys take this stuff way too seriously.
>>
>>27722542
Anything that's either pink and/or cutesy to some degree

Tapu Koko is the only current exception to this trend
>>
File: 1470807261231.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470807261231.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>27723614
There are literally only 2 "manly" Pokemon in that picture. Get the fuck outta here with that weak ass bait.
>>
>>27723642
This. Fairy is literally the "fuck your rules I have weird nonsense powers type," kind of like how Dark is the "I am evil and I have a menacing aura that blocks out ESP" type. It's another fun, flavorful type that's a lot more creative than generic Fire/Water/Wind/Earth elements. I like how Pokemon adds more "monster" related attributes.
>>
>>27723675
>Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee
>not manly
>>
>>27723623
Garchomp exists, you stupid fucking faggot. It's still spamming Outrage, and Fairies can't do anything about it. It can OHKO all of them with Iron Head/EQ anyways.

>Fairy is about mysticism
No it isn't, not any more than Ghost/Psychic
>whimsical weirdness
Headcanon bullshit
>Cheeky prank mons
You mean fucking Klefki? Rotom already has that market cornered. Hell, Ghost/Dark in general already have domain there.
>>
>>27723513
Bug gets its own type to pay homage to Pokemon's origins as a bug catching simulator. This is why aquatic invertebrates generally aren't Bug-type since they'd be associated with fishing and seafood, not bug catching.

Dragons getting their own category is a decades old RPG tradition.
>>
File: 1383088609761.jpg (153KB, 825x957px) Image search: [Google]
1383088609761.jpg
153KB, 825x957px
>>27723653
This is intense fucking bait and insane mental gymnastics that I thought only communists were capable of.
>>
Fairy ruined grass types, now every grass type is a generic skinny twig with pink flowers everywhere and leaves as legs.
>>
>>27723642
Because Delphox is a shit
>>
>>27723570
I guess Stoutland should be Dog Type. Clearly the only type that makes sense on him.

Dragon and Bug are both cop out types. They don't make sense. Dog type and Chicken type make just as much sense
>>
>>27723456
>Night a single Fairy type has a link to "light"

A few hours ago, maybe...

>Morelull
>Grass/Fairy
>Species: Illuminating Pokemon
>>
>>27723718
What Psychic types are mystical anon?
>>
>>27723763
whoops meant to quote >>27723627
>>
>>27723663
Because all the Pokemon that produce body heat should also be Fire type, am I right? Fighting types are Pokemon who are exceptionally proficient at a certain fighting style/strongmen. You've got street fighters, brawlers, duelists, wrestlers, sumo wrestlers, Mexican wrestlers, boxers, kick boxers, kung-fu masters, capoeira, and so on. It's very obvious what Pokemon fit in the type rather than not.
>>
>>27723775
I'd be for a dog type.
>>
File: qyf9C[1].png (16KB, 175x559px) Image search: [Google]
qyf9C[1].png
16KB, 175x559px
>>27723780
Are you fucking serious right now?
>>
Fairy literally has no identity of its own. All it has done so far is take things from other types.

Takes flowers from grass types.
Takes magic from psychic types.
Takes cute punk blobs from normal types.
It does nothing different. It just horns in on other types' territory,
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 887x901px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 887x901px
>>27723718
Lol nobody runs Outrage on Garchomp anymore because they're scared of big bad Clefable and Altaria.

And... Nope! Sorry. No headcanons here. Play Rough is literally Frolic in Japan. Then there's stuff like Baby Doll eyes, Crafty Shield, Fairy Lock, Draining Kiss... no matter how you slice it, it's not a headcanon.

And Ghosts are more sinister in their pranks and whatnot, and Rotom is part Ghost because it possesses things. Fairies prank you, take your shit, and use all kinds of ruses and flattery. It's a different form of mischief.
>>
>>27723780

Like, a lot of them...
>>
>>27723775
But animals fall into the Normal category unless they have some special element associated with them.

If Stoutland was introduced in Gen 6, it'd be Normal/Ground type for sure.
>>
File: Dark-type moves.png (126KB, 1416x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-type moves.png
126KB, 1416x1275px
There's nothing that makes a Pokemon "Dark" either, except using dirty tactics. Prior to Gen 4 (due to Physical/Special split), Dark-type had nothing to do with actual darkness, and was all about underhanded fighting tactics, hence why all of the old Dark-type attacks became physical, while Dark Pulse was introduced as the only special Dark-type attack.

Dark was introduced to nerf Psychic, just as Fairy was introcued to nerf Dragon.

>B-b-but not all Dragons were broken, it was just Garchomp and Salamence!

Not all Psychics were broken either, it was just Alakazam and Mewtwo.
>>
>>27723825
How is "bug" a special element?
Any justification you can use for bug being a special element, you could use for Mammal being a special element or Fish types being a valid concept.
>>
>>27723192
>Snubbull especially- don't really make any sense.
Cù Sìth
>>
>>27723829
>Embargo is dark type
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>27723812
Pretty much. It's fucking stupid, and I hate how people are actually defending it. If they wanted a type to balance the game and not really make sense, they could've just continued making up more shit and actually make a type to balance the charts.
>>
>>27723788
They could all be normal and still make about as much sense. Obviously they are based on specific things, but literally so is every other Pokemon. All those things can be learned and aren't really intrinsically a part of whatever it is. They could just be normal Pokemon themed after specific fighting styles like how we have different interpretations for poison without having specific types for them. Fighting is a pretty normal thing, especially in a game about fighting.
>>
>>27723829
>Dark-type had nothing to do with actual darkness
that's because it's called the "evil" type in Japan you retard
>>
>>27723849
Because Bugs can't fit into any other type you idiot.
>>
>>27723859
Not this bullshit again. They are nothing, nothing alike. It's like saying that Blaziken is based off of Quetzalcoatl because they're both avianid.
>>
>>27723879

I'm not defending it, it just doesn't really bother me. Maybe it doesn't make much sense as a type, but there's no point in getting all bent out of shape about it.
>>
>>27723903
Why do bugs have to be their own type when its just a type of animal like a dog or a cat? The real reason bug is a type is because its a callback to the games origin of catching bugs.
>>
>>27723897

My point still stands.

The only thing that defines Dark-type Pokemon is the fact that they're assholes, hence why they lose to Fighting-types. They're the "bad guys", and Fighting-types are the "good guys".
>>
>>27723903
Yeah they can. The only reason you're saying this is because they've been around since Gen I. Every single monotype Bug can be turned into a Grass or Poison type, and every dual type Bug can just have it removed. If it weren't around from the start of the franchise, nobody would think to add it in as a type despite the large amount d mons relating to bugs. It's a move only Gamefreak would make, and you're only justifying it because it's been around for so long.
>>
>>27723821
>Nobody runs Garchomp's strongest attack
Top jej. Sure, this month tank chomp is in vogue, but there have been 3 metas prior in this gen where everyone was running it on 'chomp. Once in the pre-bank meta of X/Y, once in the months leading up to OR/AS, and again back in the latter months of 2015.

And yes, it's headcanon. None of those have any relation to what you implied they were.
>>
>>27723942
But its' ruining Pokemon forever. Because I don't like it.
>>
File: NOWINBUTTON.png (42KB, 1134x376px) Image search: [Google]
NOWINBUTTON.png
42KB, 1134x376px
>>27723718
>Garchomp exists, you stupid fucking faggot. It's still spamming Outrage
Only on Scarf sets you braindead faggotron. Boosting sets go for Dragon Claw. Get BTFO
>>
>>27723903
It's just a type of animal, retard, It just be a type.
You can have a spider that is just fire type exactly how you can have a fire dog that is a fire type instead of a Fire/Dog type.
A fire caterpillar doesn't need to be a be a fire/bug type just like arcanine doesn't have to be a Fire/Dog type.
Bug literally does nothing.
>>
>>27723886
But they're exceptional Fighters. Again, it's like how most Pokemon produce bio-electricity, but they aren't Electric types, or they produce body heat and aren't Fire types.

While Pokemon may Fight, they aren't exceptional physical fighters.
>>
>>27723897
then why is Evil even a type then? Anything is considered evil. (A wild pokemon attacks an innocent person is considered evil, then why isn't every pokemon able to be Dark?)

Doesn't change the fact that it was just added to balance Psychic first, concept later
>>
>>27723903
if they dont have any particular elemental afinity than they should be normal

bug, dragon, and ghost are all dumb elements

ghost is easily fixable by renaming it shadow
>>
>>27724025
forgot fighting and dark

lets just stop defending every gamefreak decision and admit that pokemon are an inconsistent mess
>>
File: 7.jpg (776KB, 1070x723px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
776KB, 1070x723px
>mfw this thread right now
I just wanted to know what defined fairy types/have a thread about what makes a Pokemon a certain type, I never wanted it to devolve into this.
>>
>>27724025
Ghost makes far more sense than fairy or fighting. Ghost just denotes things that are ephemeral.
>>
>>27723994
>>27723975
>>27723946
You are exceptionally fucking stupid. You cannot turn any of the pure Bug types into another type, with maybe the exception of saying Volbeat is a Flying type. There is no other type that they would fit into. There's a reason Bug has been a type since Gen 1. Fish are all obviously Water type because Fish live in the Water. Birds got their own type, too. So do reptiles (Dragon). Mammals fit into the Normal type, insects/arthropods into the Bug type, reptiles into the Dragon type, Avians into the Flying type, Plants/Fungi into the Grass type, and so on.

Bug is not a stand-out type that should be removed. It makes perfect sense to be in.
>>
>>27723879

If you're adding a new type after five generations, then it has to be the one that you can retcon a bunch of old Pokemon to, so that the type doesn't end up getting vastly outnumbered by the other types.

There were already plenty of fairy-based Pokemon, like Clefable, Gardevoir, Granbull, Togekiss, and Whimsicott, so they had their work cut out for them.
>>
>>27724085
>ephemeral
im not a native english speaker and even I can tell you're a retard
>>
>>27724052
>pokemon are an inconsistent mess

Maybe, but... why does it matter? As long as the games are fun, I couldn't care less if not every type makes perfect sense. What's the point in getting so upset over every tiny detail? Of course Gamefreak isn't perfect, but I don't need perfection, just fun.
>>
File: image.png (828KB, 1024x698px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
828KB, 1024x698px
>>27723978
>Garchomp's strongest attack
Not even close! It's only on one set, and that's as an alternative to the superior Dragon Claw. Outrage makes it a sitting duck to be bent over and fucked in the ass by qts like Diancie, and it's essentially a slightly less shit Hyper Beam in this meta. Chomp is only here to set up fast and sneaky pebbles, and to give foes recoil while it chips away at tanks with EQ. Ground type > Dragon type, and if Garchomp were Ground/Fairy it would be at top usage.

And... still nope. Still not even close to being headcanon, sorry! Fairy is most certainly the whimsical type, whether you like it or not. I've explained why, and it should be fairly evident to anybody who takes a single look at what makes up the typ, but if you still choose not to believe it, then stay mad because Fairies (aka best type) are here to stay.
>>
I love fairy types almost as much as I love dragon types. But even those two loves together cannot compare with how much I love seeing people cry about fairy type.

If you ask me what we need is more fairy/dragon types. Altaria isn't really a Pokemon I like too much, I want something like a frail looking dragon that's actually a SpA powerhouse.
>>
>>27724004
They are if they're physical attackers. I get that most fighting types are based on specific fighters but its a pretty abstract type that could be attributed to a lot of different ways of fighting depending on how you define exceptional. The truth is, some types are just abstract, and placing all of the blame on fairy just doesn't seem justifiable. Heck, my favorite type is normal, but there are a ton of crazy things going on with that type and a lot of Pokemon are anything but normal. It just comes with the territory of the Pokemon world.
>>
>>27723990
Because boosting sets don't need the extra 40 base power that comes from using it. Dragon claw has no downsides, unlike your "lel I-win-button" that you anti-Dragon fags have been whinging about throughout all of Gen 5. Boosted Garchomp doesn't need that extra power because it already has a base 130 attack stat. Double that, and it could kill using Bite.

>Garchompite
Wew lad.
>>
>>27724092
There's plenty of reptiles, birds and fish dispersed among types that aren't the ones you claim. There are normal type reptiles. Ground type fish.
Bug is just a kind of pokemon, it shouldn't be a type. It limits creative possibilities because it forces them to always have this subtype. We can't get a fire/poison spider or a psychic/ground worm.
Explain to me why a Dog type wouldn't work if Bug is allowed to exist.
>>
I feel the ambiguity is natural.
It's like trying to use stereotypical knowledge to discern how one might react to seeing someone legitimately induce an object to float in mid-air.

>Oh shit nigga he's doing it with his mind like Jean Grey
>Nah nigga he got a ghost friend doing it.
>Ya'll both wrong, he's going all Harry Potter with the magics and shit

So the simplest explanation is if magic is happening, is it due to its mind (Psychic), because it's biologically ethereal (Ghost), or just because it fucking can (Fairy)
>>
>>27724118
None of them, besides Clefable and Whimsicott, have any business being Fairy type.

Sound type would've made much more sense, for obvious reasons. You wouldn't even have to stretch as hard.
>>
File: 452Drapion[1].png (749KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
452Drapion[1].png
749KB, 1280x1280px
>>27724092

Skorupi starts out as a Bug-type, but loses its Bug type for Dark when it evolves into Drapion.

Eelektross and Stunfisk are both fish, and live in the water, but they're not Water-type.

Blaziken and Empoleon are birds, but they're not Flying-type.

And there are plenty of reptiles that aren't Dragon-type.
>>
>>27724134
Are you retarded or do you not know that Fairy types switching into Outrage ends it immediately, letting Garchomp flee?
>>
>>27724025
Types aren't elements.
>>
>>27724092
Flygon, Drapion, and Lurantis get about fine without being Bug type. Face it, Bug is pointless.
>>
>>27724092
There are quite a few mammals that are literally just elemental animal without being normal as a sub type. There's also a lot of weird normal non real animals as well. There is no reason most bugs that don't have a sub type couldn't be normal. Until we get a normal/bug dual type, I won't even know what the difference would be between a regular bug type.
>>
Bug is so dumb as an rpg element.

>here you go, a solid 30 kg block of elemental bug from the elemental plane of bug
>>
>>27724211
Wouldn't the opponent also be free to set up?
>>
>>27724162
It's not really abstract at all. It has very set outlines and rules. Pretty strict on that part, too.

Fairy is just stretching too much. Normal is a catch all type, so whatever. Fairy is just a "whatever I want it to be" type, and there's nothing you can do about it. It shouldn't exist. There's no need for it. It's existence is as mysterious as if Game Freak added a "Crystal" type to further split up Rock/Ground/Steel. There's no need for it, its stretching incredibly hard, and you'd have to come up with a bunch of bullshit to justify it.
>>
>>27724237
See >>27724217
>>
>>27724185
Because some Pokemon could be 3/4 types. It's why Lugia is Flying/Psychic instead of also being Water type.

Flygon, for example, could also be a Bug type, but it better fits into the Dragon/Ground types as it's a Dragon Fly.
>>
File: image.jpg (792KB, 851x1049px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
792KB, 851x1049px
>>27724211
>Garchomp uses Outrage
>kills something
>opponent switches in literally any Fairy, getting a free Moonblast/Play Rough on the Chomp in the next turn
Why do you think I said it's only a slightly better Hyper Meme? You get one kill with it, but then you're instantly revenge killed or set up on in the next turn. Duh. Smogon is starting to see this, even, because Outrage is only viable on one set as an alternative of all things.
>>
>>27724273
>as it's a Dragon Fly.

>these are the retards on the pro-bug side
>>
>>27724203
>Skorupi
Because Pokemon cannot be 3 types, unless you use Forest's Curse.
>Eelektross
Lives in a cave, not a fish.
>Blaziken and Empoleon
Because, again, Pokemon can only be 2 types at most. If 3 types were allowed, Blaziken would most likely be Fire/Fighting/Flying, and Empoleon would be Water/Steel/Ice.
>And there are plenty of reptiles that aren't Dragon
Again, only 2 types at most.
>>
>>27724301
>Regigigas is the Continent Pokemon, so it should be Ground type
This is how stupid the Granbull bullshit sounds.
>Gardevoir
>Angelic
Did you fall on your head?
>>
>>27724320
Caterpie lives in trees and grass. I don't see it living on the elemental plane of bug.
>>
>>27724072
>I just wanted to know what defined fairy types
it's not really a clean cut concept but here's the main traits associated with it:

>cuteness
>pinkness
>magic
>trickster folklore creatures (fey, yokai, etc)
>>
>>27724320
>Lives in a cave, not a fish.
It canonically lives in the ocean according to the dex. And you find it in the sea cave in BW2.
>>
>>27724287
Revenge killers have existed since Gen 1 you retard. Before Fairy type was added, everyone just used Starmie anyways.

>>27724249
Steel was better for that, since they could set up while having the Dragon locked in Outrage. Scizor with a Swords Dance is much more dangerous than a Sylveon with a Calm Mind.

Besides, since Outrage is over, Garchomp could just EQ/Iron Head.
>>
Flowers are literally not even allowed to be grass types anymore because of fairy types. What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>27724350
Just because they live somewhere doesn't make them that type. Regigigas is only found in caves, so it should be Rock type by your analogy.

And as that other guy said, types aren't elements. Only Fire/Ice/Water/Grass/Electric are.
>>
>>27724374
Its first appearance was in Chargestone cave, which only has small puddles as a source of water.
>>
File: 1470237262982.jpg (63KB, 592x533px) Image search: [Google]
1470237262982.jpg
63KB, 592x533px
>b..b..but there's some fairy types that aren't overly feminine pink shit!
>their claim is only supported by some twinky hawaiian pool boy totem with little baby arms
>>
>>27724395
Florges and Comfey's flowers are separate from their actual bodies though. They're just lovers of nature.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 500x562px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 500x562px
>>27724381
>Revenge killers have existed since Gen 1
That's not the argument. The argument is the fact that using Outrage/Hyper Beam is like stabbing a man to death in front of the cops, then reaching for your gun while screaming about how you "dindu nuffin!"

There's a fine line between "oh, my opponent has a way to stop my sweeper, better play around this with my team" and "hey I'm gonna waste a move lot on a move to set myself up for revenge killing! Also it's totally useless against an entire type and a form of stall! Wow, isn't Outrage great?"

Literally just a slightly less situational Hyper Beam that'll be phased out soon with the introduction of more best type!
>>
>>27724429
So then I can have my Dog Type right?
Stoutland can't work as anything but a Dog type. Since types aren't elements, then Dog type is completely reasonable expectation since types are just taxonomy.
I want Dog type to be strong against Cat types and weak against Animal Control type.
>>
>>27724252
You can't just whatever normal and then scrutinize fairy just because you feel its too loose.

Pokemon types are going to have multiple inspirations. A lot of grass Pokemon aren't grass, and even if it was plant, it covers mushrooms and fungi as well. Ghost can be literal spirits or just channeling spiritual energy. Normal is a big mess of a bunch of things. Steel has Pokemon like Mawile and Lucario that people still question why they are part steel. Dark encompasses dirty fighting, darkness, and "evil". Dragons are largely based on myth but sometimes puns or sometimes just whatever. Only the elemental types and things like bug only seem to strictly be one thing that doesn't bleed into other things.

It may not have a need to exist but there isn't much reason to exclude it either besides balance reasons if that's how you feel.
>>
>>27723033
>caught shiny skitty in x
> ability was normalize

feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>27724221
Because Pokemon cannot be 3 types, some concessions have to be made in the way of typing. And weird typing choices have always been a staple of the series.
>Jynx and Cloyster are Ice type, despite having no relation to Ice in their Pokedex entries or design
>Lucario is Steel type, despite there being no metal anywhere on its body
>Ditto Mawile
>Nidoking and Nidoqueen are Ground type because ???
>Phanpy is Ground type because ???
Weird typing decisions are an outlier, though, not the rule. The problem with Fairy is that every single Pokemon in the type is an outlier. There is no common thread between the types. None.
>>
>>27724463
Not that anon but stop trying to be dense. The Dex very clearly describes that Elektross pulls its pretty into the ocean. It lives there, as to why it appears in a cave, well shit he possibly leaves the ocean to hunt, doesn't mean he doesn't live in the ocean
>>
>>27724515
Florges literally has the flowers fused with its body. Its dex entries say the flowers are an innate part of it. They flowers are L I T E R A L L Y growing out of its body. They are PART of its body.
>>
>>27724560
>There is no common thread between the types. None.
You can say the same about Dragon types.
>>
>>27724531
That's the point, though. Outrage has never been an I-win button, it always had a huge draw back. It's just that in Gen 5, only Ferrothorn, Empoleon, and Scizor could reliably make good on the trapping aspect. Making Ice type resist Dragon would've done just as good of a job as the entirety of the Fairy type, plus it gives the Dragon no chance to escape.

Using your analogy, Outrage is stabbing someone, having the Fairy cops come in, and then fucking jetpacking into the sky because they can't stop you now.
>>
>>27724560
Jynx is based off a japanese snow monster and Cloyster is a kind of arctic bivalve.
Lucario is stupid.
Mawile has steel jaws.
Ground was the godzilla type in gen 1.
Phanphy is a tire.
>>
>>27724560
They're all either cute or mystical/mythological

"pink blob" has always been an archetype in Pokemon and the type was going to happen eventually
>>
They need to look gay.
>>
>>27724533
Are you legitimately retarded? There aren't enough Dog types for it to be a viable type idea, and it already exists under the domain of Normal, which is extended to include all the Mammals.
>>
Honestly, I really want a Dog type after this thread. Better than fucking sound type.
>>
>>27724556
Don't be sad. Normalize lets you T-wave Ground types and Pokemon with Lightning Rod. It's niche, but can be extremely useful.
>>
File: nope.png (7KB, 1038x64px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
7KB, 1038x64px
>>27724567
>Its dex entries say the flowers are an innate part of it.
Not seeing it.
>>
>>27724604
>having the Fairy cops come in, and then fucking jetpacking into the sky because they can't stop you now.
More like getting killed because you're still going to be using the move on the turn that they revenge-push your shit in with Moonblast. Outrage has always had its blocks, but with Fairies on the rise there's even less of a reason to use it, and calling it "Garchomp's strongest attack" is really saying nothing. It's a horribly situational move, and it's no wonder why TankChomp is so much better.
>>
>>27724551
Because there only needs to be one catch-all type. Imagine if there were 2 miscellaneous categories. It makes no sense. There's no point to it. Normal has a very clear theme and includes some outliers. It's perfectly fine at what it does.
>>
>>27724560
Myths tie together most fairies. And very specific myths because yes there are a lot of pokemon based of myths. They also seem to have themes with emotions or spiritual connections to nature like Gardevoir, Togepi line, and Cutiefly.
>>
>>27724629
That's false. Most mammals aren't even Normal typed.
There weren't enough fairy types to justify a fairy typing being added, but shit happened anyway.
A couple pokemon can get retconned into Dog types.
Arcanine can be Fire/Dog
Stoutland is pure Dog
Drampa is Dragon/Dog
Pidgeot can be Flying/Dog
Suicune becomes Water/Dog
Entei becomes Fire/dog
Raikou becomes Electric/Dog
Eeveelutions all become part dog type.
Granbull becomes part dog.
Roserade now becomes part dog.
>>
>>27724589
The vast majority of Dragon types are Reptilian. There's some exceptions because of names, like Flygon being a DRAGON fly, or Kingdra being a Sea DRAGON.

>>27724606
>Jynx
No it isn't. It's based off of Ganguro culture, not the Yuki-Onna, that's what Frosslass is based off of.
>Mawile has steel jaws
???
>Ground was the godzilla type in gen 1
Fine enough, but it probably should've been fixed in Gen 2, like Magnemite and Magneton.
>Phanpy is a tire
And what does a tire have to do with Earth? Tires are plant matter. Rubber literally comes from a tree.
>>
>>27724620
>>27724687
Neither of those capture all of the Pokemon, or even most of them. The closest you get is them being the pink blob type, but it isn't even all pink blobs (since the lake trio, Mew, and Ditto all got away), and there are several Pokemon in the type I would never describe as cute, like Klefki, or Aromatisse, or Azumarill
>>
Is it really hard to just consider that the creature typings are simply equivocal to what we consider such creatures to be but within their culturally ambiguous universe?

We can't really assess what makes a Pokemon Ghost/Dragon/Fairy/Dark or non-Ghost/Dragon/Fairy/Dark because they're inherently culture and lore-linked elements and concepts.

The biggest problem I see with Dragon/Fairy is that it seems to literally be Pokemon's equivalence of mysterious monsters when to us, EVERY Pokemon is a mysterious monster.
>>
>>27724671
Fairy isn't a catchall type though. And normal has a lot of outliers that some would think would be fairy like chansey, Jigglypuff, and audino that stayed part or pure normal.
>>
File: drayd.png (1MB, 600x801px) Image search: [Google]
drayd.png
1MB, 600x801px
>>27723044
Florges is literally a traditional fairy though. Ignores the "cutesy pink-blob" bullshit.
>>
>>27724740
>There's some exceptions because of names, like Flygon being a DRAGON fly, or Kingdra being a Sea DRAGON.
Flygon is an antlion, idiot. Not a dragonfly. Otherwise Yanmega would be Dragon.

Also, explain Goodra, Ampharos, Zygarde, Flygon, Altaria, and Exeggutor.
>>
>>27724656
Because you have to switch into a Pokemon weak to Moonblast, right? You can't just do what everyone else does and switch into Ferrothorn/Scizor/Slowbro/Crobat.
>>
>>27722542
I think that "magic" is the most accurate name to give the Fairy type since magic is the name that's given to inexplicable phenomena in real life. Before scientific and technological advancements, things like weather phenomena, mental illnesses, and diseases were all attributed to magic and witchcraft. Nowadays, magic seems to be relegated to illusions and slights of hand tricks. In fiction, the ability to cast spells and the like is called magic simply because that's what weird things that have no scientific explanation--or things beyond our understanding--are called. Furthermore, Fairy type can be seen as the sort of "Other type" for Pokemon that don't quite fit any other type designation.
>>
>>27724395
Fairies are genociding the other types. It has already surpassed Ice, Ghost, and Dragon. Will likely overtake Electric, Steel, and Dark in the complete SM Dex. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the 9th most common type come Gen 8.
>>
File: 1384216629248.jpg (1MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1384216629248.jpg
1MB, 3508x2480px
>>27724783
>klefki
>not cute
Thread is over folks.
>>
>>27724740
>Jinx
Jama-uba

>Mawile
In the movies and anime (they are canon because of ash-greninja), it's been shown that mawile's jaws have a metallic sheen

>phanphy
because it rolls on the ground, that's simply the logic. It's a ground type because tires get fucked up by muddy and overgrown roads.
>>
File: qyhow[1].png (10KB, 407x146px) Image search: [Google]
qyhow[1].png
10KB, 407x146px
>>27724803
I fucking hate you. I hate your guts, you pedantic moron.

>Goodra
>Ampharos
>Altaria
>Exeggutor
I won't, because Gen VI and VII are shit, and there's no defending them. They don't exist. Pokemon hasn't had a new game since 2012.

>Zygarde
It's reptilian
>>
>>27724820
What the are you on about?
>turn one
Garchomp kills Sableye/Breloom/whatever with Outrage

Opponent switches in Diancie

>turn two
Garchomp is still locked into Outrage and cannot switch. Diancie is immune to the next move.

Diancie uses Moonblast. Garchomp faints.

There. Was that too hard to understand? Also
>using Crobat in OU
>>
File: 1469075613021.png (81KB, 1006x930px) Image search: [Google]
1469075613021.png
81KB, 1006x930px
>>27724860
>bulbapedia's strawgrasping
>>
>>27724703
>Most mammals aren't even Normal typed.
Yes they are

Not to mention that if they fit a better type, there's no reason to tack another typing onto them.
>>
>>27724887
That's literally its name. It is literally a fucking Dragonfly that evolved from an Antlion.
>>
>>27724860
>Bulpapdo
Flygon is still an antlion.
That's not a unifying theme, anon! Also, Zygarde isn't reptilian either. It's a collection of worms that turn into a dog, a snake, and a Mecha. Not a reptile.

Also, you still haven't explained the others. I guess Dragons are just dragons because you say they are, then.
>>
>>27724850
That explains why they are, but can you explain why they couldn't be anything else? Types literally exist just because they can or gamefreak wanted to. This game has like 18 types, which is way more than any game I know. A lot of very similar Pokemon could easily be made into something close to some counterpart in some other game. But they aren't because this is Pokemon. No one has to justify anything because they already are that thing.
>>
>>27724867
Because you couldn't have done the same thing with any other Pokemon that knows an Ice type attack? Or a Dragon type attack? Fairy added nothing to stop Outrage. You've always had revenge killers for Dragon types. Mamoswine and Weavile, in particular.
>>
>>27724890
None-normal typed mammals from gen 1:
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Vulpix
Ninetales
Zubat
Golbat
Diglet
Dugtrio
Mankey
Primeape
Ponyta
Rapidash
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Seel
Dewgong
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Rhyhorn
Rhydon
Mr. Mime
Electabuzz
Jinx
Vaporeon
Flareon
Jolteon
Mewtwo
Mew
>>
>>27724927
Flygon isn't a fucking antlion. It's like saying Octillery is a fish because it evolved from one. It's not even a fucking vertebrate.

>That's not a unifying theme
Yes it is. That's why Dragons die to Ice, because reptiles can't deal with the cold.

Plus, Game Freak stopped giving a shit about what Pokemon fit in what type in Gen 6. That's why Fairy type exists. There's no reason that Goodra couldn't be Dragon type, because logic is already dead.
>>
>>27724941
Immunity > resist

Fairies totally block Outrage, preventing unnecessary damage and/or healing turns.

It adds insult to injury to everything else tht stops Outrage, and is a much more viable alternative.

Fairies win.
>>
>>27724971
Normal typed mammals:
Ratatta
Raticate
Clefairy
Clefable
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Meowth
Persian
Eevee
Kangaskhan
Snorlax
Lickitung
>>
>>27724971
Most of those are stretching by quite a bit.

And I've already told you countless times that Pokemon can only be 2 types at most, so Pokemon like Zubat/Golbat can't also be part Dark type or what have you. Plus, there's no reason for Pokemon to be Normal type if they have other outstanding features. Why should Garchomp be Dragon type when it is clearly based off a shark, which is a fish?
>>
>>27724975
>Flygon isn't a fucking antlion
It is though. Do you even know what an antlion is? Flygon isn't anything close to being a dragonfly.

And you still haven't explained Altaria. Why is that a dragon? It was introduced in Gen III like a fellow not-reptile Flygon.
>>
>>27724890
You are underestimating the amount of elemental and fighting mammal there are.
>>
>>27725008
Which ones are stretching?
You said most mammals are normal type, but that's clearly wrong. Are you going to deny you said that? It came out your mouth. You said most mammals are normal typed.
>>
>>27724983
Not in the case of Outrage, because that means that you can only use them exclusively as a revenge killer, since switching just lets Garchomp get away.

You can switch Scizor in if you predict an Outrage. Switching a Sylveon in in the same instance is going to have you end up with a dead Sylveon or Garchomp switching out.
>>
This thread is incredibly autistic and stupid, even for /vp/ standards.
>>
>>27725028
>Diglet
>Dugtrio
>Slowpoke
>Slowbro
>Hitmonlee
>Hitmochan
>Rhyhorn
>Rhydon
>Mr. Mime
>Vaporeon
>>
>>27725008
Well we have plenty of dual type normal Pokemon with other outstanding features now. Starting with Girafarig.
>>
>>27725060
Diglet and Dugtrio are LITERALLY moles. There's nothing else can be. Their design is based on whack a mole. They are moles.

Slowpoke and Slowbro are otters.

Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Mr. Mime are literally my mom's grown men.

Rhyhorn and Rhydon are rhinos.

Vaporean is a seal fox that evolves from a fucking fox.
>>
>>27725064
Girafarig isn't all that outstanding, though. Neither is Bibarel. Gen VI happens and then logic goes out the window, so Helioptile and Pyroar don't need explanations.

Then there's things like Deerling and Sawsbuck, which are primarily mammals with a secondary feature being the plant growths on them.
>>
>>27724975
If you ask me, logic died the moment they added Dark/Evil type.
At that point, things just became incredibly nonsensical by attributing something that superfluous to a Pokemon.

I mean, Umbreon was always described as being able to secrete and use its poisonous sweat for defense, yet is a pure Dark type instead of Poison type.
Completely illogical, but hey, that's what they went with.
>>
>>27725060
Of those I think only Rhyhorn would be a stretch and thats because its clearly based on some kind of kaiju Rhino. Vaporeon is especially mammalian.
>>
>>27722947
>game freak getting rid of types

Why would they do this.
>>
>>27725114
Fighting type was already nonsensical, anon. Dark type is just the opposite to Fighting type, which has connotations of heroism in Japan.
>>
>>27725091
Diglett and Dugtrio also take most of their design from worms, which aren't even up enough on the chordate ladder to be a vertebrate.

Slowpoke and Slowbro are not otters, and they don't even slightly resemble otters.
>Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, and Mr. Mime

Just because they're humanoid does not mean they're mammalian. They have no clear mammalian features. No hair, no fur, no mammary glands, no distinction between exothermic and endothermic, and etc. They could all be reptiles, or in another Order altogether.

>Rhyhorn and Rhydon
They're literal rock monsters. Rocks are not mammals.

>Vaporeon
Is a fish.
>>
>>27725032
The point is that Fairies add an extra layer to making Outrage unviable. Everybody knows that Scizor and Ferrothorn can stop it, but Fairies make the user infinitely more cautious and reluctant to clicking it. It's an extra, safe revenge kill if you have a weakened Steel type and the rising prominence of Fairies in OU has horribly neutered Outrage usage. It's not just something that can be resisted anymore; it's been made into an essential Hyper Beam with their presence. You should consider the bigger picture now, with everything that's capable of stopping it- Outrage just isn't what it used to be, by any means.
>>
>>27722947
>Clefairy doesn't fit exclusively in the Fairy type
>when it was the primary inspiration
>>
>>27725106
Helioptile doesn't generate its own electricity which is probably why its normal. Pyroar is likely a Bibarel situation. But whatever. This argument is going to go nowhere because you and me obviously think very differently. I would say they were all pretty equally non-outstanding but you wouldn't believe that and there really isn't any objective way to prove that. So I say we just move on.
>>
They are goddamn made up creatures, they are all born from fucking eggs. For all we know the only mammals in the pokemon universe are humans.
>>
>>27725167
>Rhyhorn isn't a rhino
>Vaporeon isn't a fox/cat mermaid
>Humanoids aren't mammalian
what the fuck
why does everyone on this site start acting especially retarded when they lose an argument
>>
>>27725174
Not really, because, again, you can just switch. The prominence of Fairies is what's stopping it, because they're extremely hard to kill thanks to not having any reliable weakness, and their power makes using Dragon types in general a liability. That's why Salamence and Hydreigon had to quit OU, because they just couldn't cut it anymore. You could only ever use them when you'd gotten rid of all their Fairies. The lack of viable, reliable Poison/Steel counter Pokemon is what has made Fairy so absurdly strong.
>>
>>27725167
>Vaporeon is a fish
Are you actually serious. You gonna tell me a Dolphin is a fish too? For shits sake man it evolved from a fox and still has paws and canine features. I don't care about any of that other stuff but that was just dumb.
>>
>>27725229
Speaking about yourself, I see.

Rhyhorn is indeed a rhino, but it's a rhino made of fucking rocks. Why would a rock be a mammal, it doesn't even need blood.

Vaporeon is a fucking fish. It has gills, it has scales, and it has fins. It is very clearly a fish/dog. Just like Leafeon is a plant/dog.

And no, humanoids aren't mammals. HUMANS are mammals, but not humaniods. You fucking idiot.
>>
>>27725167
>take most of their design from worms
Who is this delusional? They're clearly moles. They're based on whack a moles and they have claws. Worms don't have claws.

>Slowpoke and Slowbro are not otters, and they don't even slightly resemble otters.

They are literally Lutrinae. What the fuck do you think they are? Lizards? Frogs? They're based on otters.

>Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, and Mr. Mime
You can't possible argue these aren't mammalian. They're at the very least warm blooded.

>Rhyhorn and Rhydon
It's implied over and over again that they are ground creatures with a rocky outer layer, They're the same as sandslash.

>vaporeon
Well I guess dolphins and seals are fish.
>>
>>27725244
But there's no Dolphin Pokemon yet, so that point is moot. Vaporeon is very clearly a fish, like Leafeon is a plant. They're fish/plants that have a lot of canine features, but that doesn't change the classification higher up.
>>
>>27725274
Vaporeon isn't a fish. Do you think Buizel is a fish because it also has fins?
>>
>>27725274
Of course Rhyhorn has blood. It eats food. There's no possible way it doesn't have blood.
>>
>>27725236
You can't switch out of a revenge kill being locked into it. Fairies make using Outrage more of a burden than anything. It's infinitely easier to punish an Outrage click by switching to fodder you don't need to eat and die from the hit, then going to a Fairy and permanently eliminating Chomp from the round. It's clearly working, too, because TankChomp is now the big thing and Outrage isn't even near the top of Garchomp's recommended movesets like it once was. Dragon moves were all punished due to Fairies, but Outrage took an exceptionally big hit.
>>
>>27725315
They're are both mutated foxes. Their lore is that they mutate from a cancer ridden little mutated fox.
They are foxes with things growing out of them.
>>
I would just like to point out that we are having a very dumb argument.
>>
>>27725317
Buizel also has fur and doesn't have gills.

>>27725329
>It eats food
As far as I know, it doesn't. Plenty of Pokemon "eat" things like metal, rocks, mountains, and garbage. Just like biomass needs to eat more biomass to produce energy, I'm assuming the equivalent is true for the non-biomass Pokemon. Which is obviously true, as seen by entries like Tyranitar's.
>>
>>27725374
It eats pokepuffs in amie. This is 100% canon.
>>
>>27725374
Are dolphins and seals now fish because they don't usually have any fur?
>>
>>27725300
>Implying
They are very clearly inspired by worms. Pretty much every single entry since G/S/C shows this. They have an aversion to light because of their sensitive skin, they do for the environment what worms do, they eat decaying matter and roots, and they look like fucking worms.

>They are literally
No they aren't. They're some weird Pokemon creature. They have no defining inspiration from any one animal.

>You can't
Yes I an, and I will. We don't even know if they are warm blooded, we know nothing about their physiology. Humanoid doesn't not mean human, you retard.
>>
>>27725374
We have literally never, ever seen a pokemon eating things that aren't pokeblocks, berries or pokepuffs. Rhyhorn eat the same things everything else does.
>>
File: seal-pup_3750[1].jpg (21KB, 468x311px) Image search: [Google]
seal-pup_3750[1].jpg
21KB, 468x311px
>>27725421
This is literally a fucking Pokemon. In real life. And it even predate Pokemon Go by like 10 million years.

Oh, and they use mammary glands to feed their young, like all mammals.
>>
File: EeveeEatingGif[1].gif (407KB, 497x371px) Image search: [Google]
EeveeEatingGif[1].gif
407KB, 497x371px
>>27725443
>>27725401
>
>>
>>27725374
fur and lack of gills don't make a mammal
>>
>>27725423
Moles have an aversion to light too.
The line knows slashing and claw related moves.
They look like whack a mole.
They have eyes.
And a prominent nose, like moles.

They are moles.

>No they aren't. They're some weird Pokemon creature. They have no defining inspiration from any one animal.

That stops them from being mammals?
>>
File: qyj0a[1].png (6KB, 722x40px) Image search: [Google]
qyj0a[1].png
6KB, 722x40px
>>27725443
>>
It has a shit design and is aimed at children/females
>>
File: fish.jpg (624KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
624KB, 1000x667px
>>27725461
this is a fish

>>27725486
>anime

>>27725507
>pokedex
we never see anything that happens in the pokedex.
We have visual evidence that pokemon eat pokeblocks and pokepuffs.
>>
>>27725502
>Moles have an aversion to light too
Because of their sensitive eyes. Diglett literally boils alive in the sunlight, like worms.
>The line knows slashing moves
And fucking Wooper knows Ice Punch. Eat shit.
>They look like
They look like worms
>They have eyes
So does pretty much every single Pokemon
>And a prominent nose
Design quirk.

They are worms.

>That stops them from being mammals
They have no characteristics of mammals. They could be mammals, or they could be reptiles, or they could be fish, or they could be whatever weird Orders exist in the Pokemon world.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (186KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
186KB, 1920x1080px
>>27722542
>anything small
>anything cute
>anything brightly colored
>anything elemental or "natural" in appearance
>anything humanoid in appearance
>anything divine, angelic, or folkloric in appearance
>anything representative of beauty, intelligence, grace or regality

I dunno about you folks but I for one could use MORE fucking fairies
>>
>>27725542
Dolphins have mammary glands. No tits, though, just slits.

>Anime and Pokedex
Are canon, according to many people in this thread.
>>
Is there actually a way to prove any Pokemon is a mammal?
>>
>>27725574
>Because of their sensitive eyes. Diglett literally boils alive in the sunlight, like worms.
Moles have sensitive thin skin too.
>And fucking Wooper knows Ice Punch. Eat shit.
Through a tutor, while Diglett learns slashing moves through level up
>design quirk
I guess the sensitive skin is a design quirk too. This isn't an argument.

They have more design elements of your typical whack a mole game than any features of a worm you can think of. Their evolution is even a full game of whack mole with multiple moles.
>>
>>27725667
Not really, besides just going off what animals they're based off of. Mammals are a pretty specific Class of animals. They have to be
-Endothermic
-Have hair (or fur, or whiskers, or be a cetacean)
-Produce milk
-Have mammary glands

The last 2 traits are the only given ones to link all mammals together.
>>
>>27725630
>Are canon, according to many people in this thread.
No one who isn't retarded actually thinks either of these things are canon.

>Dolphins have mammary glands. No tits, though, just slits.
It doesn't have hair, so it can't be a mammal according to the people in this thread.
>>
>>27725709
But they are literally worms. That's where they take their design from. Some Pokemon have designs from multiple sources, like Infernape or Torterra, but Diglett is clearly primarily a worm.

Not to mention they can learn Aerial Ace, so slashing moves being a defining characteristic is moot.
>>
>>27722542
Man you could ask the same question about Dragon type these days. It used to be you could assume it was all about big beasties, but shit like Altaria, Flygon, Mega Ampharos, and Alolan Exeggutor has me second-guessing that shit.

Dragon and Fairy seem more aesthetic than anything else; dragons are just powerful arcane beasts and fairies are benevolent or pranksterish magic spirits. Game freak will just do whatever the fuck they want with them since no single trope defines the types.
>>
>>27725745
But it has mammary glands, you fucking retard. That's the one defining characteristic of all mammals. That's why seals, elephants, camels, dogs, bears, humans, cats, hyenas, hippos, and sloths are all mammals, they all produce milk that they feed to their young.
>>
>>27725728
I guess Miltank is the only provable mammalian Pokemon. If its endothermic I guess.

This is a really dumb argument.
>>
File: 1470879249265.jpg (192KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1470879249265.jpg
192KB, 720x405px
>>27723623
>It's about mysticism, whimsical weirdness, and cheeky prank mons.
>It's great to taste the tears of butthurt Dragonfags.

>>>/r/pokemon
>>>Deviantart
>>>tumblr
>>
>>27725709
>>27725757
Isn't it possible its both based on a worm and a mole?
>>
>>27725757
Aerial Ace IS a slashing move. It is named after a sword strike in japanese. It is the very definition of a slashing move.
The fact you don't know this shows that you're aren't remotely worth arguing with.
>>
File: Mole.png (54KB, 318x284px) Image search: [Google]
Mole.png
54KB, 318x284px
>>27725757
>>27725757
It's weird that if it's primarily based on a worm that it's called the Mole Pokemon, i mean if it was based on a worm wouldn't it make sense to call it the Worm Pokemon instead?
>>
>>27725778
but according to the people in this thread, no hair means that there is zero chance of it being a mammal. Absolutely zero chance :)
>>
>>27722542
they're the whimsy magical trickster type. I like it because previously, Psychic had the monopoly on the non-evil magical elements of Pokemon, and Pokemon like Clefairy have never represented "Normal" well at all for me.

It's still a new type though and it needs some balancing/new moves. It's almost gen 1 Psychic levels of OP right now and it should have more than just Play Rough in its physical repetoire. By the balancing token it could be addressed with more offensively strong Steels and Poison types/moves, hopefully Salandit turns out well.
>>
>>27725017
There are draconian wings underneath those clouds.
>>
>>27725757
It's based on a fucking whack-a-mole, arsebreath.
>>
The point is that Fairies come in all shapes and sizes.

Pixies, ogres, mermaids, elves, imps, they're all considered fairies.

Much like with real life mythology, a fairy can be anything the creator of the story wants it to be.
>>
>>27727302
We're literally only getting twinks and pink blobs though while at the same time intruded on the domain of other types.
>>
>>27727326
>We're literally only getting twinks and pink blobs though
But Blissey, the queen of pink blobs, is not a fairy type. Fairy isn't the "pink blob" type.
>>
>>27727477
That's just another case of fairy intruding on the domain of other types.
>>
>>27725274
>Rhyhorn is indeed a rhino, but it's a rhino made of fucking rocks
No it's not. If it was it'd be in the Mineral egg group like Onix.
>>
File: mfw.png (152KB, 262x274px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
152KB, 262x274px
>>27726727
It legitimately hurts that people took the time arguing with this guy when they could've easily busted this retard THE FUCK out with one google search
>>
>>27723921
It's a fairy dog.
>>
File: fairy autism 1.png (211KB, 1280x505px) Image search: [Google]
fairy autism 1.png
211KB, 1280x505px
Three years later and /vp/ is still triggered into an autismal rage by Fairy-types.
>>
>>27727326
What kind of bizzare twink is Klefki or Carbink?
>>
fairy is a yokai type like ghost

unlike psychic which is magic, fairy is more about mythical stuff that isn't spooky enough to be ghost.
>>
>>27723978
Am I feeling you bring about something ? And lol no, the prankster part has been with the fairy mythos since the beginning so no it's canon. Just get over it and accept Dragon is not anymre the OP powerhous it was before. Still strong now, but no way near how it once was.
>>
>>27724975
i never understood why a fish evolves into an octopus
Thread posts: 292
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.