[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /VP/. I bought some Pokemon games for $15 each today, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_20160810_141529946.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_141529946.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Hey /VP/.
I bought some Pokemon games for $15 each today, and I need to see if they're real or not. I know how frequently faked gen 3 is, and I'd like to see what I've got. I looked at a guide, and I'm pretty sure that Emerald and Ruby are the shadiest of the bunch.
>>
File: IMG_20160810_141545825.jpg (1015KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_141545825.jpg
1015KB, 2592x1456px
Here are the backs.
>>
>>27684287
Emerald is fake

Post a pick looking up into the cartrige (so i can see the chip layout).
>>
File: IMG_20160810_141612422.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_141612422.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>27684438
I could try and get a better pic if you like.
>>
Pretty sure these are all fake. The ESRB logo looks wrong.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (43KB, 400x266px)
$_1.jpg
43KB, 400x266px
>>27684254
All of them are fake. Compare the ESRB with this genuine one.
>>
>>27684542
>>27684570
Yeah, I think you're right. The guide I read went over that. Will the games still work ok?
>>
File: 1470807717711.jpg (58KB, 514x424px)
1470807717711.jpg
58KB, 514x424px
senpai, I got news for you
>>
>>27684486
Sorry I forgot to specify, post a pic looking up into the Leaf Green cart.

Emerald is definitely fake, the other 3 probably are as well. Seeing as how you paid $15 for 4 mint condition gen 3 games.

>>27684542
>>27684570
You gotta check the board layout now, I've got a LG and FR that both pass a visual inspection perfectly, but the boards are fake.
>>
>>27684671
They probably have no batteries so the clock/berries won't work.
>>
>>27684691
:(
>>
>>27684671
They should work fine, but you won't be able to palpark your team.
I have heard that you can trade from a fake cart to a legit one and then palpark your mons, never tried it though.
>>
all fake, ESRB is wrong, font on TPC is thin, labels aren't reflective, and the carts aren't as transparent as they should be, not to mention the PCB will be completely different

they'll play, but who knows for how long, bootlegs tend to erase themselves and freeze at random
>>
you can look for a printed 2chara code in the front at the right side (like A4, B2 or something), if its there, its real, also, the RZE has transparent cartridge while FRLG doesn't
>>
File: IMG_20160810_143332692.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_143332692.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>27684714
Here you are.
>>27684762
>>27684768
>>27684839
God dammit.
>>
>>27684906
I did look for that, it checked out.
I also booted it up in my DS with Diamond. I wanted to see if I could import stuff over, and I couldn't, which is prominent in fakes.
>>
File: fakes.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
fakes.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
100% fake. See attached;
Legit copys have no trademark symbol next to the Nintendo seal. See below.
>>27684570
>>
>>27685547
Thanks, Helpful Anon.
>>
>OP actually paid $15
>for each of them
lol what a dumbass
>>
OP, If you know who sold them to you you can get them arrested for this and get your money back
>>
>>27684907
If you're looking to buy again:
>don't buy anything from china/shanghai/asia
>if it's cheap and in 'mint' condition it's fake
>if the seller doesn't accept returns, do not buy

When I was looking to buy emerald a few years ago I ignored all carts that didn't have worn labels, I paid $30 and got a legit cart that had obvious signs of use.

Another thing to take note of is that RSE carts have an internal battery (for time based events, e.g. berries). The lifespan of all those batteries ended a couple of years ago, so if you get a legit RSE cart and want time based events to work, you will need to replace the internal battery yourself. It's fairly easy but you will need to buy a GBA screwdriver, there's a bunch of guides online.
>>
All four are fake kek
frlg have wrong cart volors, and the ESRB logo is a dead giveaway every time
>>
Better hope you can get that $60 back
>>
>>27684768
You can, I have a fake leaf green and have done it before.
>>
File: 2016-08-10 17.56.55.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-10 17.56.55.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Pretty much already confirmed fake, but I'll just toss in my two cents: All four of these are fake as hell.

I have a full set of the most common type of fakes (same as OP's) just to show people comparisons. The ones on the left in this picture are fake, the ones on the right are real. They also commonly come in that same plastic case in the lower right, so if they came in those cases then they're certainly fake. Watch out for those in eBay listings.

I will say, the fakes have gotten pretty damn good these days. If you aren't familiar with the real carts, then you probably can't spot them. This is why I honestly just advise newcomers to pirate all the old Pokemon games, because the market is so saturated with these Chinese fakes now. That includes the DS games, by the way.

OP, get your money back if you can.
>>
>>27685866
>>27686346
>>27685862
I'll do my best, I'd love to get my money back if I can, but I don't know if the rules about stuff like this is different in Canada.
>>
>>27684768
Yeah, they "work fine", but I would still advise someone not to use them. I've seen and experienced many fakes from the same Chinese manufacturers that make these (you can tell because they all have the same exact plastic molding style and fake ESRB label assets) and they all have the same major issues.

The save files are prone to corruption and use battery backup instead of flash memory like the real carts use. You WILL lose your save file eventually, whether it's through random corruption or the cheap battery wearing out (which in these fakes usually only takes about a year or two). The PCB also has a slightly thicker and harder edge than the real carts, putting your GBA at risk of damage the more you insert the cart.
>>
>>27684254
The E's in the "RATED E" are way too slim, normally they're thicker. Sorry to say but those are fakes. Fakes are actually decent and will play fine but have shitty unreliable batteries.

To anyone who might know I have a question, if you were to say try to transport pokemon from one of the fake gba games to a copy of diamond or pearl would it work or detect the fake?
>>
>>27686887
>if you were to say try to transport pokemon from one of the fake gba games to a copy of diamond or pearl would it work or detect the fake?

It does usually work, but it's hit or miss. Some copies inexplicably don't work.
>>
>>27686887
You can't palpark with fake carts, if you trade from a fake cart to a real cart then palpark the pokemon, it should be fine.

The game on a fake cart is near identical to the real game. It's just the shitty board and lack of palpark compatibility that differentiate them.
>>
>>27685547
Well shit, TIL my Fire Red is fake.

It can still send stuff to Soul Silver though, so I guess I got a decent one.
>>
Not OP where's the best place to get the pokemon games at an affordable price?

Gamestop has the DS gen for 40+ in my area.
>>
With old Nintendo games you're either going to get fakes or pay out the ass for them. Just get yourself an R4 card, stop being a pussy.
>>
>>27687422
>an affordable price

Depends on what your definition of "affordable" is. In general, though, the cheaper ones are usually the fakes. Real Pokemon games go for their original retail price or more (especially after Pokemon GO got popular, which nearly doubled the market price of all the old games). If you see something for $20 or less, it's probably fake. You should shoot for $35 or more.

GameStop is a random chance. I've seen lots of confirmed fakes come from them. They don't do any legitimacy checks at all when they accept used games, but they sell everything at around market value. So try them if you want, but make sure you're allowed to return them if they're fake.

If you want, I wouldn't mind searching out the cheapest real-looking copies on eBay for you, just tell me which versions you want. The prices probably aren't gonna be pretty, though.
>>
>>27687422
I go to pawn shops so I can physically inspect cartridges. It's been a while since I've done that though and it wouldn't surprise me if that's gotten harder to do since Pokemon GO has gotten a lot of people into the older games.
>>
Could be worse, friend bought a fake Ruby for 35$ today.
>>
>>27687422
They'll be pricy no matter where you look, pokemon games basically never lose value. Either pirate or expect to pay $30-40 per game, and that's just the gba ones.
>>
File: everdrive-gba-x5.jpg (115KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
everdrive-gba-x5.jpg
115KB, 800x800px
For how much it costs to get even a couple real GBA Pokemon games, you may as well go all the way and get an ED-GBA. It's better than the cheap, shitty Chinese GBA flashcarts and it even supports RTC with user-replaceable battery (so RSE work flawlessly).

It's sold out right now, though, so you'll have to wait until they come back.
>>
>>27687744

Really appreciate the thought. Sadly at the moment I can't afford them if they'll be that pricey. Way off my budget since I'm already put a lot of money aside for games and movies until the end of the year. Was just wondering if Soul Silver and Platinum were cheap to kill time between now and September. Since I don't want to spend more than $20.

Guess I'll have to settle for the Red/Blue/Yellow version off of the 3DS shop.

>>27687759

Checked the pawn shops in my area sadly all they had was pokemon mystery dungeon.

>>27687931
>Either pirate or expect to pay $30-40 per game, and that's just the gba ones.

It's a shame was looking forward to playing the DS gens cause those were the ones I skipped.
>>
Delete this thread no one cares
>>
>>27689408
Fuck off
>>
>>27689408
You're a bit late.
>>
Those Nintendo logos are downright disgusting.

I would have fallen for it though.
>>
>>27689394
>Was just wondering if Soul Silver and Platinum were cheap

I'm so sorry, anon, but HGSS are actually the MOST expensive ones. Like, $50 minimum. And that's without the PokeWalker.

I normally wouldn't advocate emulating, but in Pokemon's case...probably best just to emulate. That or get a flashcard.
>>
>>27689660
Nintendo is missing out on HUGE cash by not having gen3/4/5 on VC already.

Or just fucking reprint more copies. Even at $30~$35 each they would be competitive with the current market value.
>>
>>27689394
> It's a shame was looking forward to playing the DS gens cause those were the ones I skipped.

The DS gens are trivially easy to pirate. You can get a flash cart for $20 -- I literally just bought one a few hours ago for this exact purpose. Don't be a dummy. If you really insist on transferring everything up, you can even trade them to a legit cart and then use Poke Transporter and it'll be substantially cheaper, even if you have to buy a legit cart and a second DS or whatever.
>>
>>27689660
>>>27689394 (You)
>I'm so sorry, anon, but HGSS are actually the MOST expensive ones. Like, $50 minimum. And that's without the PokeWalker.

That's crazy.

>>27689725
>I literally just bought one a few hours ago for this exact purpose. Don't be a dummy. If you really insist on transferring everything up, you can even trade them to a legit cart and then use Poke Transporter and it'll be substantially cheaper, even if you have to buy a legit cart and a second DS or whatever.

Well I got a good chunk but I stopped playing. Got around 500 pokemon since X/Y and got Sapphire. A couple are of trade or fossils. I was just looking for a way to kill time between now and when Sun/Moon is released.
>>
>>27690696
You could try completing the national dex, it's easier than ever thanks to the GTS but still takes forever. Hopefully S&M's GTS will be even better, it's nice to be able to filter out legendaries but you still have to sift through people asking for things like a lvl 10 gyarados or a lvl 100 magikarp.
>>
File: 78843.jpg (78KB, 1280x800px)
78843.jpg
78KB, 1280x800px
OP here, played Ruby up to Rustboro and it worked great. I think, even though they are fake, the games will fit the purpose fine. Thanks to everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>27687050
It could still be real, does it have embossed numbers on the front label? That's the best way to tell if it's real or not
>>
>>27691819
It's got a 12 just over the Nintendo seal.
>>
So the biggest problem is that when you beat the elite 4 it'll just reset everything, at least on emerald. Shit sucks.
>>
>>27694120
>when you beat the elite 4 it'll just reset everything

Well that blows, sounds like you got an exceptionally bad fake. Do you know if it can at least trade? If so you could just keep trading your pokemon around between your fakes until you can put them on a real cartridge to transfer to a DS game. Then again your cartridges may not be compatible with the real deal.
>>
>>27691044
>You could try completing the national dex

I'm only missing a couple which with yellow(just bought) and ORAS I can complete. Sadly I missed out on event pokemon but that's on me for losing interest.
>>
>>27684254
the E symbol gives it away
cheap chink bootlegs
>>
File: ayylmao.png (427KB, 1411x639px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.png
427KB, 1411x639px
>op actually payed 15$ a piece for shitty chinese bootlegs

kek
>>
>>27686346
Wait doeant that leafgreen also has a trademark on the nintendo seal
>>
>>27694758
Event pokemon are BS anyways.

>Oh you don't live in Japan? Well fuck you.
>Oh you don't live in NYC? Well fuck you.

What's worse is that Pokemon Bank has apparently been blocking some event pokemon so people who went out of their way to do IRL things for a video game got boned.

>>27695501
>US version pokemon game card GBA emerald fire red leaf green ruby sapphire pokemon go
>pokemon go

God damn, emerald really did have everything.
>>
>>27695501
I didn't know :(
>>
>>27684254
If you have at least one real cartridge, you can trade your Pokemon to that version and then pal park. It's what I did. My only legit copy is ruby, I have a fake sapphire/leafgreen.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (299KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
299KB, 1600x1600px
Man fakes are getting good. Look at this exquisite fake I just found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Pokemon-LEAF-GREEN-for-Game-Boy-Advance-NO-RESERVE-/252494751429?hash=item3ac9dc26c5:g:FfgAAOSwgZ1XqpXQ
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.