[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we have a single Normal type starter that can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (160KB, 1331x599px)
image.jpg
160KB, 1331x599px
Why don't we have a single Normal type starter that can evolve into any type the player chooses?
Why did Moon/Sun do away with gyms, potentially Megas, and shake up the format, but not do away with the arbitrary Grass/Fire/Water starters?

Pic semi-related
>>
doesn't demonstrate the triangle and heavily reliant on factors that wouldn't be obvious to younger players
>>
Flying/Rock/Fighting would've been cool
>>
>>27574766

Grass/Fire/Water is easy for newcomers to figure what beats what using real-world logic.

Most other triangles aren't that easy to figure out.
>>
>>27574766
Grass-Fire-Water has the perfect combination of type effectiveness to easily convey the concept to newer players
>>
>>27574766
Remember, every game is potentially the first game for one or more players. Having the first Pokémon you receive have a branched evolution would be confusing, and would also remove the early exposure to type matchups.

Not to mention that, in several games, the starter has been the first fire or water type you'd have access to for a while.
>>
>>27574766
Although Fighting-Dark-Psychic would be better because there is that non-effective typing in there
>>
>>
>>27574946
Wouldn't work. Not only is there inequality, but it's not immediately obvious about their weaknesses.
>>
>>27574914
Anyone have a handy chart or explanation of all the type triangles?
>>
>>27574766
I've done Eevee runs of HGSS and XY, they're pretty fun
>>
>>27574914
>>27574944
I was thinking that after the second gym (which gyms are kill, so maybe at a certain level) the regional professor calls you back to the gym and let's you select a type for your starter and he evolves it for you.
And he would do so again after the 5th gym (or whatever level) and let you select another type creating a custom Type combo determined by the player.

He could give you the type match ups.
>>
>>27574914
I was thinking after the 5th gym (or at a certain level or spot in the campaign) the professor calls you back and let's you choose a type and evolves your starter.

He does so again after the 5th gym (or level/spot in the campaign) for a secondary type.

Letting the player create a "custom" Pokemon of sorts.

He could explain the type match ups before you choose.
>>
>>27575383
This shit sounds retarded as fuck.
>>
>>27574766
wait... gyms are gone?
>>
>>27575383
>>27575431

>suggests the most convoluted starter system ever conceived

Keep it simple.
An eevee style starter only really works if you already get type match ups. Getting an eevee around gym 3 or 4 works fine.
>>
File: file.jpg (34KB, 576x432px)
file.jpg
34KB, 576x432px
>>27574766
>all that Gen 1 pandering we're getting
>we won't get a new Eeveelution this gen
>>
>>27574766
>fanfiction
>tryhard
>no
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.