[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Congratulations to Quebec for being the only place in the world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_m6jmcptr9a1r1wc3go1_500.png (75KB, 500x586px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6jmcptr9a1r1wc3go1_500.png
75KB, 500x586px
Congratulations to Quebec for being the only place in the world besides China that uses two different sets of Pokémon names. Let's talk about how French-Canadian genwunners have the English names as an additional argument and a thing to nostalgia over.
>>
>>27555972
Quebec is ass I wish they'd have their own "brexit"
>>
>>27556463
Quebec is ass and I know because I live there.
There was this political party called La Parti Quebecquois who wanted to have Quebec leave Canada, but they still insisted Canada would pay for their shit in the same way Trump insists Mexico would pay for his wall. They also wanted to ban religious stuff like Crosses and Hijabs from being worn in public, so basically they lost the election because luckily there were enough sane people in this french shithole not to elect them.
>>
Ils font rire mais faut avouer la plupart sont inventifs et bien trouvés.
Sont pas plus cringeworthy que certains noms anglais, cela-dit...
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 604x453px
I remember when starbucks employees in Quebec city had no problems with my entry-level French

But a McDonald's cashier in Montreal rolled her eyes at me
>>
>>27556898
Well yeah, Quebec city is entry level, Montreal is literally the oldest city in Canada
>>
>>27556621
Dear god, I remember that. It's especially poignant to compare them to Trump now. The PQ was especially ridiculous.

>>27556809
I would reply in French, but I've lost my fluency after living in Ontario for 4 years.

Someone in the comments here mentioned that very thing, that the names work really well for people in France but people in Quebec find them cringeworthy (and most of the French-speakers in the comments are indeed cringing at the fact that the names are being called "French-Canadian"):
http://www.mtlblog.com/2016/07/french-canadian-versions-of-pokemon-names/

Not to mention that some names only work with European French pronunciation (Woobat's and Wimpod's) and/or slang (Exeggcute's and Unown's), which is harder for the player to get since the games don't have voice acting, and taps into Quebec's love-hate relationship with France in general.
>>
>>27557586
>>27556621

Canucks are such cucks, man. Enjoy weedman and the incoming refugees.
>>
Laugh all you want but the french version pokemon cards are probably more valuable because there's less in the world.
>>
>>27557626
It's kind of the opposite. There's supply, and there's demand. There may be less in the world, but demand is less too, apart from actual French-speakers and people who collect all the languages.
>>
>>27555972
>China
BC has different cards too?
>>
>>27557586
Is Quebec as a province nice? I'd like to visit someday
>>
>>27557658
You mean because of Chinese immigrants in BC? Usually I just see bootleg English cards, at least in Toronto Chinatown.

China used to have 3-4 different sets of Pokémon names, but just like Quebec with France, they moved to one set of "unified" names dominated by mainland China when the translations of Sun and Moon were announced.
>>
>>27557674
It's all right. Montreal is fun and there's a kickass anime convention there every year, although I wouldn't go back for personal reasons.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.