[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The rival fight at azalea town is objectively the single hardest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6

File: HGSS_-_Azalea_Town_8.png (18KB, 512x192px) Image search: [Google]
HGSS_-_Azalea_Town_8.png
18KB, 512x192px
The rival fight at azalea town is objectively the single hardest thing in any pokemon game
>>
>>27542578
Why? Are you THAT bad?
>>
i remembered it being such as a child, but i just did it in SS and was shocked by how easy it was this time.
>>
>>27542578
If this isn't bait, pokemon isn't the game for you
>>
>johto
>hard
Easiest region by a large margin. Even XY rivals are more competent than Silver.
>>
>>27542578
No, that's the one in RSE/ORAS under the bridge.
>>
>>27542578
>posts HGSS version of it
It's just you.
>>
>>27542578
You fucking what mate

I pick Chikorita almost every playthrough and I still have never had difficulty with this
>>
>>27542578
Is this by speedrun standards?
>>
>>27542578
>Silver
>anything but the second easiest rival
>>
Alright gents, so what DO we consider some hard rival fights to be?

Yes yes I know, they're all easy, but comparatively speaking which ones have been the least easy?

For me its when May challenges you on the bridge on the way to Mauville. I tend to choose Treecko a lot so she has Combusken then, which between Flame Charge and Double Kick can be a problem if I haven't got a good water type, which by that stage I rarely do.
>>
>>27542706
can I ask you a question about playthroughs

how often do you re-play the game?

does it not frustrate you that you have to delete your previous League winning team every time you want to start again?

I want to re-run Platinum after all these years, but I am too sentimental and I love my team too much.
Should I just suck it up and delete?

I don't have any means of trading them rn, so I'd have to just delete them if I wanted to re-run again
>>
>>27542853
>does it not frustrate you that you have to delete your previous League winning team every time you want to start again?
Just transfer them to a different game nigga, either by trading or by moving them into a higher generation game.
>>
>>27542764
Barry and May/Brendan can be tough at times.

Hugh is cheating because B2W2 is the only one with challenge mode, but he's the only one to actually ever pose a threat to my team since I was a kid, during the battle at victory road.
>>
>>27542889
>I don't have any means of trading them rn, so I'd have to just delete them if I wanted to re-run again
>>
>>27542619
XY rivals are the bottom of the barrel
>>
>>27542912
May/Brendan are funny because in the end they're utterly pathetic and have their role as rival stolen by the sickly twink boy, yet they perform better than the majority of rivals early game.
>>
>>27542764
May/Brendan on the bridge
Blue the first time you stumble to victory road
Weekend at Barry's
Those are the only ones probably close to hard I've gone through and that's mostly the surprise factor that came with them. Never played BW2 so I can't say how much challenge mode actually helps it.
>>
>>27542853
Not him but I hold no sentiments, it's a game and those pokemon will never be good.

With that said haven't restarted Plat because I have a surfing Raichu or the Gen 5 games because of the C Gear skins. Basically things that you can't get any more.
>>
>>27542578

Yeah, it was. Absolutely gripping. Had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, since I was trying to clear his team only using Gastly as it was underlevelled, about Lv.11 iirc. Only managed to snag full exp from his Gastly, eventually settled to swap-leech for the others, though.
>>
>>27542945
But May's theme is so cute.
>>
>>27542578
The theme at azalea town is objectively the single best tune in any pokemon game
>>
This fight can be tough if you're unprepared and haven't fought Bugsy yet, but I feel the fight with Brenden/May right before Mauville was more challenging overall.
>>
File: Route216.png (496KB, 1200x332px) Image search: [Google]
Route216.png
496KB, 1200x332px
>>27542578
This is the most challenged a Pokemon game ever made me feel.
Being far away from any center and I hadn't leveled up my mons enough on my first playthrough.
I got scared.
>>
>>27542853
I'd try to find a way to move them first. Honestly I've only played through the game a lot because my past playthroughs were either failed nuzlockes or playthroughs that I beat the game on and was able to transfer my team to Gen 5 afterwards. I definitely think it's worth keeping your bros, but at the same time, they'll just be collecting dust on a game that's almost 10 years old unless you're actively playing through the postgame with them.

I definitely feel you though. Absolutely shocking that in 20 years of this franchise, players still only have a single save file
>>
>>27542853
>he hasn't hacked his 3DS

Just copy out your save with TWL save tool or emulate
>>
>>27542578

Dude the battle with Whiney's Miltank is way harder than that battle.
>>
>>27542912
I have never known true terror in Pokemon until the first battle against Hugh on challenge mode.
>>
>>27543051
You're kidding, right?
Lady in that house heals your pokemon....
>>
If we are talking rival battle the only ones I've ever had issue with is Blue in cerulian and May under the bridge. If we are talking any battle in the game then easily whitney's miltank.
>>
>>27542706
That double battle against Clair and Lance is a bitch with Meganium.
>>
>>27542578
I got crushed by HGSS Lance a hundred times. Without grind he is 20 levels ahead and his dragonites with their outrage destroy everything.
>>
>HGSS
>Hard
When did this meme started? It's comfy af.
>>
>>27543304
he used 46-50s
Are you trying to tell you managed to get to the elite four with a team of 26-30s?
Johto is an even bigger joke than I remember.
>>
>>27543304
>use sneaky pebbles
>Lance defeats himself
Geodude is the best mon in Johto
>>
>>27542764
Gary/Blue in Cerulean City in FRLG
>>
I remembered it being hard as a kid.

The problem with Pokemon is we remember things being super difficult and then overprepare which makes them easy. The Fairy gym in X slaughtered me on my first run because I didn't know how the type worked but in my recent nuzlocke I blew through it easily.
>>
>>27542914

You don't have a DS and a gen V game lying around somewhere?
>>
Remember in Platinum when you could polish your Gym Badges with your touchpad, and get them shining with a gleam?

Good times.
I wish they'd re-introduce that, it's the little things.
>>
>>27542920
And being bottom of the barrel is still harder than Johto.
>>
File: 1467834891301.jpg (11KB, 501x490px) Image search: [Google]
1467834891301.jpg
11KB, 501x490px
>people have a issue with any rival fight
>people have issues with Whitney of all things

This is how you can tell people who never played these games past kids, or just buying into some meme.
>>
>>27542912
>B2W2
>since I was a kid

lel
>>
>>27542578
No. Whitney in GSC is.

And if you're doing a Nuzlocke and have Chikorita as your starter (which you use), being able to make it past Bugsy is hard af.
>>
>>27542764
Blue in Cerulean City.
Lost my Nuzlocke race to him last month.
>>
>>27542619
Oh fuck off with this shit. Tierno had a mon with 1 move. There is no excuse for those rivals being so shit when we had Cheren and Bianca finally nail multiple rivals

Gen 6. Gen fucking 6 should not be doing the mistakes of Gen fucking 2 (and its too faithful remakes)
>>
>>27543051
I kind of agree. You have to pass through the cave first, and I remember going in entirely unprepared. It was surprising how long this route was. There are some pretty good trainers in it, too.

>>27543226
She's at the end of the route though. You start on the right.
>>
>>27542619
This. At least Calem/Serena had an Absol. Silver fucked around with shitters like Gastly and Zubat, and never used any STAB moves outside of the bare minimum.
>>
The Beauty in the route after Fortree with the Milotic in the rain (RSE)
>>
>>27542578
It was only hard because I forgot that it existed. Running a Nuzlocke with "healing clause," where you only got one center visit per town (unless you had to return to that town because plot, as in the Goldenrod Radio Tower part). I beat Bugsy, had almost no healing items left because I didn't get a Geodude and it managed to nearly KO my Pidgeotto with U-Turn, and had only healed up my Butterfree in an attempt to use it to bust through to Goldenrod. Then Silver appeared. Butterfree was paralyzed by Gastly's Lick, then it crit twice in a goddamn row, while Butterfree only got one Confusion off - which was about 1 HP short of a KO, of course. Without my strongest 'mon, and since my starter was Totodile and Pidgeotto was half dead already, I wiped hard.
>>
>>27543320
Comfy and hard are not mutually exclusive. Grinding in HGSS was hard as fuck; the only good way to do it at one point was on Route 48, which had a 20% chance of spawning Tauros. Any of those Tauros could have had Anger Point, so an unlucky crit could have utterly destroyed me (I like doing Nuzlockes). However, they were the only Pokemon around that gave acceptable XP. Worse were the exploding Graveler in Victory Road. The Johto leveling curve is obscene.
>>
>>27542578
I couldn't go to the gym yet because I didn't get a shiny (I was doing a badgequest) and it took me about 5 tries to beat him. It was horrible
>>
>>27542621

Only on RS, it was seriously dumbed down in emerald and ORAS. Noticed it when I saw lower levels than on my first playthrough in ruby
>>
>>27542947

You can inject cgear skins. Theyre literally jpg images.
>>
It's only "hard" because it's really easy to wander into before doing some of the other key events in Azalea Town and you end up underleveled as a result.
>>
>>27542578
The only fight I have ever lost more than once in any Pokemon game is in XY at the E4 against Siebold. The Clawitzer was faster than my electric type (Magnezone), even 10 levels higher, and Gyarados was just faster as well and kept getting Earthquake on him. I got him down on my fifth try. Every other member of the E4 and the Champion had their Pokemon one shot.

Which, this is just ridiculous to me, because XY were far and away the easiest Pokemon games by a pretty large margin. I never imagined I'd actually have to try.
>>
>>27542853
Not that anon, but even when I was a kid with Blue and Yellow I would restart as soon as I beat the Elite 4 and caught Mewtwo. Maybe sometimes I'd use him a little, but there was no point. Granted there was no post game at all outside of catching Mewtwo, and in later games there was stuff to do after beating the E4, but I just never cared about Battle Frontier or any of that. Even now, I just beat Y for the first time, and next time I play I'll probably just restart.
>>
>>27546118
>XY were far and away the easiest Pokemon games by a pretty large margin.
Lol

You could literally one/two shot every poke from start to finish in RB with your starter
>>
>>27543051
>This is the most challenged a Pokemon game ever made me feel.
How does it feel knowing that you suck at the game.

For starters there's nothing that can harm you when going through coronet meaning when you exit you're at full power with no lost HP.
Then there's the fact there's the fact that all of those trainers have incredibly piss poor teams and those four on the top require rock climb to get to. So there's only 4 trainers to battle before getting to the healing area.

I guarantee that the only reason you think it was hard is because it was such a slog.
>>
>>27542764
Barry in Canalave in Platinum is pretty alright.
Barry is the only rival to use a decent team.
>>
>>27546310
Wally has a better team than Barry.
>>
>>27545198
I remember that fucking rain boosted water pulse tearing through my team.
>>
>>27546350
Wally is not a rival, and even then the only way to access his only good team is to beat the Maison, which most people already did in XY.
>>
>>27546350
Maybe post game, I meant during the main game.
Wally uses Delcatty and NFE in his last battle before post game.
>>
>>27546350
only because we are the asshole rivals in those games
>>
>>27546418
"Post game" is still part of the game lol

It's not like the game magically stops counting after the credits roll
>>
Just catch a Zubat.

Bayleef gets rekt by a Zubat of literally any level.

Also this fight is only ""hard"" if he has Bayleef. Anything else is piss easy.
>>
>>27546449
Most people don't bother with post game.
>>
>>27542764
First fight against Barry in Platinum.
>>
File: 1534523453.jpg (158KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1534523453.jpg
158KB, 1600x900px
>>27546507
>>
File: 1443198633418.png (163KB, 631x470px) Image search: [Google]
1443198633418.png
163KB, 631x470px
>>27542619
>>
>>27542719
fuck this guy in speedruns, man
really not sure about hg/ss, but in crystal this guy kills like 30% of all runs that i watch
>>
Not a rival fight but I got fucked by Ghetsis the first time I fought him. Especially immediately after the fight against N. Beat him but barely, his early evo Hydreigon was really unexpected and fucked me over royally.
>>
>>27542621
Yep that was one of the few things that actually got worse in Emerald. In RS it was an actually decent fight.
Of course it was nerfed in ORAS anyway.
>>
>>27546555
That's pretty sad.
>>
>>27546555
Yeah, he came as a surprise to me. I went in underleveled and handled N just fine, but Cofagrigus and Hydreigon gave me some real problems.
>>
>>27542764
I only lost to a rival once, I got wrecked by that purrloin kid when he used coil 4 times on his serperior and then swept me with leaf blade

It was on challenge mode but i still felt like a shitter. I honestly don't even know what happens when you lose to a rival I ragequit and tried again
>>
>>27546701
>I ragequit

18+
>>
>>27546807
Not literally ragequit, I just turned the console off and on again and tried again
>>
>>27546842
Most of the times, nothing happens and you rebattle them as though you never lost.

I want to say it was different in R/B, but that was a long time ago and I can't be certain.

I actually was going through Y again recently and purposely threw the fight with Serena for ownership of the mega bracelet. I got knocked out and came back and everyone acted like the battle never took place.
>>
Misty's Starmie was always the hardest in R/B for me.
>>
>>27545281
>grinding in pokemon
What is this meme? I've finished BW pretty much exclusively using a level 52 Vanilluxe only having to switch out to my other mons who were all 5-10 levels behind him so I could heal him up. I pretty much did the same with ORAS except I instead used Blaziken. That was just a couple of examples too, I don't really notice a difference in my playstyle in the other games.
>>
>>27546152
If you're going to delete good mons, wonder trade them first, make some kid's day.
>>
>>27547182
You have to grind in challenge mode
>>
>>27543637
>nuzlocking gen 6
Why bother?
>>
The double battle against two Furfrous and against the two ace trainers on the way to Veilstone in DPPt was pretty hard imo.
>>
>>27546201

>you must be 18 to post here
>>
>>27546449
Sure, if we could get to Wally's team without already needing a pretty much competitive team it would be great, but you need to be very smart competitvely to beat a super battle leader
>>
>>27546310
Why are you fuckers forgetting about my nigga Wally? Tbh I don't remember how hard he was in RSE, but in ORAS his mega Gallade took out my level 100 (Jirachi or Aggron, don't remember but probably aggron) with one Close Combat. His team is pretty balanced.
>>
Every fight against the rival in HGSS is piss easy.
>>
It was only difficult because most people didn't know it was there so they started it with unhealed Pokemon
>>
>>27542578
>What is Whitney

Yeah this was one of the harder ones for me, but never really that bad
>>
>>27542764
Misty, she has an OU powerhouse. If she taught it psybeam, bubble beam,thunderbolt, and ice beam, and a weak ice move, you'd well be fun

Whitney and her fucking Miltank
>>
File: 1464752098917.jpg (66KB, 1059x800px) Image search: [Google]
1464752098917.jpg
66KB, 1059x800px
>>27547796
>misty is the toughest because her starmie can learn decent moves it doesn't have
>>
>>27542578
lol the AI literally cannot even switch thier pokemon..........
>>
>>27546555
>tfw ran the first time with a dewott because I was too up my own ass about wottergate
>on the same level it outsped and OHKOs hydreigon with an x-scissor
Weirdest damn thing.
>>
>>27547418
?????
>>
>>27542578
>GSC
>Sandshrew used Mud Slap!
>>
>>27542578

Maybe in Sacred Gold/Storm Silver. but surely not in the standard games.
>>
>>27547195
Never even thought about that. I'm gonna go be a good person.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.