[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>every new iteration of pokemon is better mechanically and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 10

>every new iteration of pokemon is better mechanically and balance-wise
>but always sell less and less
how come mario always manages to outsell the previous marios but RBY is by far the most sold Pokemon?

What could possibly be different between RBY and the other pokemon games when it clearly has the worst balance?
>>
Pokemon RBY sold that much because it was extremely new kind of like that one game everyone should play

Fundamentally, Pokemon hasn't changed from RBY and oras as a gams
>>
>>27542175
It was the times, man. You had to be there.
>>
It was an incredibly new game and conceptat the same time backed by the biggest media and merchandising crazes

One factor is that emulating and piracy were rare back then
>>
>>27542175
I don't think any Mario game has outsold Super Mario Bros. I believe RBY may have outsold it though.
Regardless, it's been out for longer, it has the nostalgia appeal, it has been resold digitally, it's just a titan of a game. The success it had at the time was huge. Some old consoles greatly outsell new ones despite their capabilities.
>>
Are there any other game series where the sales increases with each shitty
>>
>>27542537
To add to that, I'm pretty sure Wii Sports has sold more than any other game by a huge amount. Yeah, it was bundled, but still. It has nothing to do with it being better, just more accesible and marketed.
>>
Just waiting for the waves of sinnohfoeti to protest the notion that gen 6 was a mechanical improvement.
>>
the amount of pokemon players who actually care about mechanics and balance are definitely fewer than ten percent of total players.
>>
>>27542566
Maybe Assassin's Creed up to 3, which outsold the rest. Definitely The Elder Scrolls. A fair few games gained appeal from the success of their earlier titles, and their later additions sold better despite being worse because the originals were praised.
>>
Did gen4 sell super high though?
>>
>>27542516
Piracy was crazy back then, what are you talking about.
>>
>>27542646
Sold less than Gen 1, and slightly less than Gen 2.
>>
The original pokemon were just better.

They had striking,iconic designs and the new ones don't compare.
>>
>>27542610
It was, but pokemon was about sprite art. Sure we all thought 3d would be cool but its like mlp, sure we thought humanised ponies would be cool but then we got equestria girls
>>
>>27542646
Gen 4 sold well in hindsight compared to the ds sales

>>27542634
All i can think of is Diablo 3 sold 30 million versus diablo 2's 17 million despite being a far worse game
>>
>>27542698
Not to mention the older the game the more extra stuff. By that i mean also unfinished stuff and mystery. The new games are so planned that theirs no "big feeling" to them. Even hidden stuff (never released or properly coded) and glitches to some extent.
>>
>>27542756
>unfinished stuff and mystery.
you get this feeling from being a kid. not from the games

when will you fags realize this
>>
>>27542698
>>27542756
Nostalgiafags.
>>
>>27542646
Given the sales and popularity of the DS not really.
I mean, DP sold 1 Mil over RS and HGSS has nearly been surpassed by ORAS.
>>
>>27542756
Bitch shut up, getting all calls from yancy and curtis in bw2 were more mysterious
>>
>>27542175
Factually wrong

Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald |GBA | 22.54

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum | DS | 25.23
>>
>>27542756
>glitches,bugs and dummied out content counts as "extra" stuff

Oh boy..... The shit nostalgia kiddies
have to cling on to
>>
>>27542175
because pokemon is easier and easier each year despite an aging fanbase (at least a large portion)
>>
Why don't they just release games (besides Go) for smartphones? Sure, there's cross-sales with the DS (as in, people buying a DS just for Pokemon), but handheld consoles are dead.
>>
>>27542873
>>27542911
Delve into the files of dpp and youll find not used stuff.

Delve into xyoras and there's nothing.
>>
>>27542933
I think RSE sold especially worse because you couldn't transfer RBY/GSC pokemon.
>>
>>27543038
And it was the game of older siblings
>>
>>27542986
>wanting more casual mobile garbage

fuck off
>>
>>27543038
RSE might have sold worse because the pokemon fad was essentially over at that point

RBY and GSC went hand in hand with each other
>>
>>27542995
Wrong: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_X_and_Y_beta#Items
Now kill yourself, nostalgiafag. I can't fucking believe you cancerous little shits are making me defend the turd that was Gen 6
>>
>>27542995
wasn't hoopa unbound found by someone who delved into the files of oras
>>
>>27542630
Exactly. While mechanically it's been getting better, aesthetically instead of expanding and polishing on its roots it's been abandoning them, and as for story, unlike the Mario games it's actually done very little to make its characters deeper, it's just been rehashing the same storyline since III, evil team's gonna blow up the world using a box legendary, kid stops them and becomes league champ.

It's interesting because although the Mario series always has start of "your princess was kidnapped" and contains the same basic core mechanic of run, jump, and powerups, and heck, even always designs it's levels around "safe introduction of new mechanic, safety net removed, twist for added difficulty, resolution," the contents of the individual game's plotlines and of its levels vary greatly.
>>
>>27542175
>how come mario always manages to outsell the previous marios
that's false
>>
>>27542175
Because the marketing blitzkrieg that accompanied RB is what sold as many games as it did.

Game Freak is utterly incompetent and can't make a fun game to save their life.

Moreso, TPCi is more than willing to simply rest on their laurels instead of getting out there and doing the endless, ridiculously expansive marketing that they used for RB.

It's a matter of all involved being /lazy fucking cunts/ and becoming content to only selling to the youngest of children and autists like you.
>>
>>27542175
-RBY sold over 40 million copies. It is the best-selling console exclusive game that wasn't a pack-in. Only Tetris, Minecraft, and GTA V have sold better. Literally every single game ever made wishes it could match those sales.

A drop to ~25 million is still enough to get on the "Best-selling games of all time" list. You really need to put things in perspective.
>>
>>27543068
Pokemon was always casual
>>
>>27542873
One of the game's core gameplay aesthetics is exploration. To have a world with nothing to explore, just a bunch of stops on the narrative railroad, that makes you feel like everywhere you can go is somewhere you're blatantly meant to go, is very bland and unsatisfying to explorers. Think of the regi- puzzles, shoal cave, abandoned ship, or machbike portion of dewford cave. Think of the powerplant, seafoam islands, whirlpool islands or ruins of alph. You weren't forced to go to these places. You often weren't even told of them, except maybe through a vague hint from an npc. You were left to find them on your own and explore them as uncharted land, solving the puzzles within. Could you imagine Ratman areas of Portal feeling so satisfying if they had huge easy-to-enter doors and were labeled not only with big yellow signs but GLaDOS specifically pointing them out to you?

Where is that in the new games? They optimize competitive and breeding for killers, create more goals for achievers, and more interconnectivity for socializers, but have been excluding their original core audience.
>>
>>27542566
Monhun
>>
>>27543309
Eh, Gen VI brought back some of that exploration in ORAS, but Gen V is the only game I actually dislike because the post game is nothing but empty towns and grassy fields with nothing interesting to do.
>>
>>27543341
It only brought back what was in the original, and in many cases changed their entrances to big simple doors with yellow signs, not to even talk of the insulting simplification of what was inside.
>>
File: diansmug.png (66KB, 191x190px) Image search: [Google]
diansmug.png
66KB, 191x190px
>>27543435
Does making the Safari Zone into a normal route count as "Insulting Simplification"?

The addition of the Mirage Spots and Eon Flute are huge improvements, and the Dexnav is pure sex. I am loving these improvements.
>>
>>27543325
MonHun gets legitimately better. That game has been getting so much love from its makers.

>>27543478
Yes.
And agreed, but a seperate issue.
>>
the attach rate is still really high, the consoles are selling less

if we're going by attach rate (gen 2 excluded because I couldn't find GBC sales)
Gen 1 - 27% of GB owners had it
Gen 3 - 20% of GBA owners had it
Gen 4 - 12% of DS owners had it
Gen 5 - 10% of DS owners had it
Gen 6 - 23% of 3DS owners had it
>>
>>27543558
>gen 4 and five dipping well below 20%
what went wrong?
>>
>>27543631
a lot of people bought a 3DS for shit like brain age
>>
>>27543645
DS i mean
>>
>>27543631
Objectively bad?
>>
>>27542933
NOSTALGIA FAGS BFTO
>>
>>27543759
Gbc and gba are still nostalgia tier.
>>
The pokemon designs are just better
>>
File: 1470193086067.png (322KB, 674x835px) Image search: [Google]
1470193086067.png
322KB, 674x835px
>>27543885
>Just better
>>
>>27543800
Yes?
>>
>>27543309
>Where is that in the new games?

You mean every postgame in the new games?
Don't kid yourself
>>
>>27542667
Not in the 90s, fewer people had internet let alone fast internet. Wasn't until late gen 2 or gen 3 that piracy was more popular.
>>
File: 1352660541420.jpg (34KB, 572x394px) Image search: [Google]
1352660541420.jpg
34KB, 572x394px
>>27544011
>Talking shit about Poli line
>>
>>27544295
You mean It just gets bigger line?
>>
>>27542667
>Piracy was crazy back then, what are you talking about.

Depends on what kind of piracy but the most popular form of piracy everyone almost uses today didn't come before Napster
>>
>>27544305
>It just gets bigger line?
Wait are we talking about the Poli, Pidgey, or Oddish line here?
>>
>>27544305
>You mean the it just gets bigger line
Anon that bullshit criticism easily describes half of the evo lines in the game. In fact most of the other half have people bitching because the 2nd/3rd evo didn't "get bigger."
>>
>>27542175
It's because Mario games make little changes, but everything pretty much stays the same. On average, people prefer to see things they are familiar with, but with some new bits mixed in.

The pokemon are the driving force behind the franchise, so when they change every gen, some of the more casual fans can't adjust to it. It would be like a Mario game where they change the main character every game.

Now that we have pallet swap pokemon in the series, expect to see more people come back the the series over time. They will be drawn to the new twist on characters that they already know.
>>
>>27543038
Not many people cared about transferring especially since the fad had died mid gen 2.
>>
>>27543127
>it's actually done very little to make its characters deeper
So you haven't played a game since gen 4 huh.
>>
>>27543631
Gen 4 was shit and 5 got a bad rap because of 4 and not having previous pokemon until the end.
>>
>>27544380
>Anon that bullshit criticism easily describes half of the evo lines in the game
You realise gen 1 and 2 don't make up half of the dex right?
>>
>>27544225
ROM were floating around in those days though.
>>
>>27542175
It was original.
That's something that no other Pokemon game has ever been because Game Freak is too scared to take risks.
>>
>>27544569
>Half of gen 1 & 2 evo lines are poorly designed
>"It gets bigger" isn't applicable for half of the evo lines in later gens
Here's your (You) so you'll go away.
>>
>>27542175
but sales of main series games have been completely stable since gen 3

in fact, XY sold like 4 million more than BW
>>
>>27544549
>Gen 4 was shit and 5 got a bad rap because of 4

Gen 4 breathed new life into the main games though. And gen 5 was just gen 4.5
>>
>>27544599
>Game Freak is too scared to take risks.
confirmed to not be keeping up with Sun/Moon news.
>>
>>27544695
>Gen 4 breathed new life into the main games though.
That was gen 3. The only substantial addition 4 made was the split while everything else was an inferior copy, including the plot. If anything it was 3.5.

Gen 5 made a lot more gameplay and plot changes than 4 did.
>>
>>27544624
>>"It gets bigger" isn't applicable for half of the evo lines in later gens
It isn't though, they abandoned it after gen 2.
>>
>>27544734
>Gen 5 made a lot more gameplay and plot changes than 4 did.

Plot yes. But Gen 5 did NOT add anything significant to the gameplay other than a possible extra ability and Infinite TMs. I imagine gen 5's meta to be similar to gen 4's had Drizzle/Drought not been given to lesser mons.
Meanwhile the Physical/Special split redeemed hundreds of pokemon.
>>
>>27544365
>Oddish
Nigga what
>>
>>27544011
Muk is fine in that instance.
Poliwrath should have gotten boxing gloves or something to emphasize it's fighting type though.

Then again a lot of pokemon in gen1 have visually unexplained typings. Like closer being ice.
>>
>>27544788
Did you even play a single gen 5 game?
The mere fact that you could connect wirelessly from anywhere on the map was a huge improvement.
Not to mention the introduction of Pass Powers and two new battle modes.
>>
>>27544073
1. Postgame is not main game. I shouldn'thave to suffer through hours of bland railroad to finally get to things worth doing. The journey is the epitome of the experience, not the destination. I'd much rather play an enjoyable game with no postgame than an unappetizing slog to finally reach something decent added as a post-credits afterthought.

2. Are at least semi-hidden, sure, but still fit under oversimplified. Many are just "walk in room, catch big thing, leave," and those that aren't still follow a mostly linear path to get to the end.
>>
File: Noivern.gif (341KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Noivern.gif
341KB, 500x281px
>>27544968
>Many are just "walk in room, catch big thing, leave,"

"Think of the powerplant, seafoam islands, whirlpool islands"

Oh as if those place you mentioned earlier werent just walk in, Catch Zapdos,Lugia,Articuno leave

Fuck off
>>
>>27544968
Be honest, you don't really know what you want do you.
I bet you think 1 and 4 were the epitome of exploration despite lacking areas off the beaten path
>>
RBY was a fad, Mario was never as big of a thing as Pokemon was back when it first came out.
>>
>>27544517
The villains have gone from Yakuza trying to recapture an escaped bioweapon, to Yakuza trying to contact their missing leader, to misguided ecoterrorists/cultists trying to harness sleeping lovecraftian horrors what once formed the earth, to Saturday morning "take over the world" plot every single game.

N himself was a slight reprieve, but his team still fit the mold.
>>
>>27542567

Minecraft is actually the best selling game of all time now. I honestly preferred it when it was Wii Sports.
>>
>>27544968
>1. Postgame is not main game. I shouldn'thave to suffer through hours of bland railroad to finally get to things worth doing. The journey is the epitome of the experience, not the destination. I'd much rather play an enjoyable game with no postgame than an unappetizing slog to finally reach something decent added as a post-credits afterthought.

Then X and Y are the best games for you.
>>
>>27544745
Alright. Your bait succeeded. If this thread is still alive when I go on lunch in an hour we'll see the accuracy of your claim.
>>
>>27545096
People actually play minecraft
>>
>>27545005
Powerplant had switch puzzles.
Seafoam had boulder puzzles
Whirl required you to go through 4 seperate but interconnected caves.

Terminus is just kind of a walking simulator. Pokemon village even moreso.
>>
>>27545190
>moving le goalpost
>>
>>27545008
Not at all. I think gen3 hoenn was. I didn't even have trouble naming off like 4 things from one region, and even that's not an exhaustive list.
>>
>>27545190
So in other words they were walk in and catch with an extra level of tedium.

Also Power Plant didn't have any switch puzzles, you're probably thinking of New Mauville and Whirl is worse than Terminus.
>>
>>27545078
>The villains have gone from Yakuza trying to recapture an escaped bioweapon,
>Saturday morning "take over the world" plot every single game.

If you like to put it that way sure. Keep lying to yourself that Team Rocket's MO wasn't the Saturday Morning cartoon one
>>
>>27545104
Except it's main was trash, in addition to having no postgame.
>>
>>27545243
If memory serves, Giovanni never wanted world domination. Just money. So I think he's at least partially right
>>
>>27545078
>The villains have gone from Yakuza trying to recapture an escaped bioweapon
For starters TR weren't the Yakuza by any means they're closer to the regular Mafia.
Secondly they had nothing to do with Mewtwo at all, that's purely your headcanon mixed with the anime.

Finally they're the most "saturday morning cartoon" villains because they just do random acts and nothing is interconnected. It's basically just "YOU'VE THWARTED US THIS TIME BUT TR WILL BE BACK!".
>>
>>27545247
The only thing that's trash here is your opinion.
>>
>>27545287
>Secondly they had nothing to do with Mewtwo at all, that's purely your headcanon mixed with the anime.
Why do you think Giovanni wanted the Master Ball and kidnapped Mr. Fuji?
>>
>>27545270
>, Giovanni never wanted world domination. Just money. So I think he's at least partially right
That's even more of a SMC motive anon.
>>
>>27545078
Oh tell me where are these saturday morning cartoons with villains that want mass genocide based on psychopathy and supremacist beliefs
>>
>>27545334
Any shounen anime
>>
>>27545318
>Why do you think Giovanni wanted the Master Ball and kidnapped Mr. Fuji?
Because they capture rare pokemon to use as prizes in the GC and they didn't kidnap Fuji, he went up there of his own volition to stop TR because he heard about Marowak's death.

A grunt even said he marched up there and ranted at them.

Have you actually played a Kanto game?
>>
>>27545334
Transformers? Hell, in Beast Wars, Megatron tried to erase the entire Maximal race from time.
>>
>>27545347
>shounen
>saturday morning cartoon
You're joking right?
>>
How are you saying Villain teams have gone worse.

Giovanni, Archie and Maxie have turned for good after being beaten by schoolkids.

Meanwhile Cyrus,Dennis and Lysandre remain the unrepentant unapologetic scumbags after being defeated. One had to be sealed in another dimension, One buried in rubble/dead and one turns into a vegetable
>>
>>27545347
Shounen anime are not saturday morning. They air around evening
>>
>>27543631

There's also the fact that DS sold 180M copies. 3DS is on 1/3rd of that now.
By sheer volume, I think Gen 4 was the second most popular behind Gen 1.
>>
>>27545386
God just stop posting, you have no idea what you're talking about here.
>>
>>27545412
>By sheer volume, I think Gen 4 was the second most popular behind Gen 1.
That's not how it works anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 480x406px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 480x406px
>>27545359
>using the Master Ball to capture Abras and Dratinis
>>
>>27545413
>Gets called out
>"""Y-YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT"

:^)
>>
>>27545457
Anon you're getting several elements of the story in each game wrong every time you post.
>>
File: 1445377683271.png (39KB, 298x300px) Image search: [Google]
1445377683271.png
39KB, 298x300px
>>27545439
>mass produce master ball
>catch more pokemon easily to use as prizes
I still don't believe you people are this retarded.
>>
>>27545412
By raw number sold:
1>4>3>2>6>5
or if you exclude remakes
1>2>4>3>5>6

>>27545429
explain
>>
>>27545541
>explain
Several factors
Previous game and the expectations of the people
System and it's availability as well as it's popularity
Games available on said system

And general reception.
You can't just say something was more popular based on sales alone.
Especially if it turned out to be one of the more hated Pokemon generations to the point where GF had to do something about it in the subsequent generations.
>>
>>27542986
>handheld consoles are dead
>last gen the ds almost sold as much as 360+ps3
Excuse me? You best be baiting.
>>
>>27545717
To be fair, when the DS came about Smartphones weren't really a thing.
You have to remember that last gen was abnormally long.
>>
>>27542175

They should've started recycling old designs as soon as Gen 3 to keep the older generation connected to the game.
With Gen 3 the bulk of Pokemon became so much that that was the point when people didn't even remember all names anymore and by Gen 4 people just completely dropped out.
Sun and Moon is doing everything right so far and might be one of the games that lines up with RBY and GSC.
>>
>>27545823
>that that was the point when people didn't even remember all names anymore
That would be gen 2.
>>
>>27545881

Majority of people who playey Gen 1 also played Gen 2. Minus the moms and stuff and most people who call themselves Genwunners usually still know Gen 2 Pokemon. Show a Genwunner Pokemon like Miltank, Hoothoot, Marril, Umbreon or Totodile and they'll be immediately be able to tell its name.
Of course Gen 2 had some pretty obscure and forgettable Pokemon though. I don't expect people to know the name of Stantler or Skarmory for example, but majority of names should be still in their mind. Those that don't remember probably also wouldn't remember some Gen 1 Pokemon.
>>
>>27546022
>Show a Genwunner Pokemon like Miltank, Hoothoot, Marril, Umbreon or Totodile and they'll be immediately be able to tell its name.
Umbreon, Marill and Hoothoot are a stretch at most because they didn't see much screen time in the anime.
Miltank you may get a few people because of Whitney however that joke has fallen out of popularity within the last 10 years. Totodile is a sure fire guess because it was an Ash mon.

>but majority of names should be still in their mind
The majority of Gen 2 Pokemon barely had any presence in both the anime and games anon. Hell more people remember Skarmory, Slugma and a few others as gen 3 Pokemon because they had more appearances.
>>
>>27543341
>but Gen V is the only game I actually dislike because the post game is nothing but empty towns and grassy fields with nothing interesting to do.
BW1 maybe.

BW2? Daily new content.
>>
>>27546242
I actually put BW2 down for a while because it sent you through the boring post-game area from BW1 with nothing interesting to punch it up.

Pokestar was the only good thing about BW2, but the insane railroading ruined it for me. I didn't even try the world championships.
>>
>>27546242
>BW2? Daily new content.
There were so many nooks and crannies during the main game too that you could explore between progressing in the story.

Truly Unova 2 was the best region.
>>
>>27544587
Not really, no. ROM piracy in 1999 was pretty fucking rare.

The common piracy of the time was bootleg cartridges and plushies.

Nice try though, newfag.
>>
>>27546272
So what you're saying is that you just powered through the game without exploring and seeing what was new.
>>
>>27544695
You don't get to forget DP existed first. Diamond/Pearl were shit. The latter gen 4 games were better, but they sold less because people got burned by shitty DP.
>>
>>27546307
>Not really, no. ROM piracy in 1999 was pretty fucking rare.
Not really, it was considerably easier to pirate then than it is now. That said computers weren't as widespread and people like you lacked the knowhow so maybe that's what's confusing you here.
>>
>>27546334
DP were good enough for that time

But youre not that person anyway
>>
i dont know about others but the only reason i started to play pokemon was because of the anime. which is basically a kids show people grew out of. so they werent aware of the designs. The Anime was basically advertisement for the games and people grew up and stopped watching. it has nothing to with quality. X and Y are more enjoyable than R/B/Y
>>
>>27546338
>It wasn't rare
>It was easier

Whats the connection?
If ROM piracy was so common then why bring out that there were less Computers and Techies back then?
>>
>>27546473
>Whats the connection?
That it was easy but the lack of computer users compared to today made it look like it was rare when in actuality it was fairly common?
Keep up.

>If ROM piracy was so common then why bring out that there were less Computers and Techies back then?
Because clearly the you think because there were less people that meant no one knew how to do it.
>>
>>27546506
>Rare = None

suuuuuure.
>>
>>27546533
Are you an idiot?
>>
>>27546316
Well, when half the routes are blocked by fat fucks who say "You can't go this way", how am I supposed to "Explore"?
>>
>>27546566
By exploring the multitude of areas you can maybe?
Unova 2 is filled with side areas and caves you can access during the main game.
>>
>>27542699
The fact that you know this much about my little pony removes any credibility you may have once had
>>
>>27545764
True. Also got curious, and this gen 3ds is close behind xbone + ps4. (Numbers I'm finding are about 55m, 20m, and 40m respectively.)
>>
>>27542995
Are you bitching about the fact that x and y are completed and unbroken games???
>>
>>27546618
3DS is 59.7 currently.
>>
>>27542175

Has nothing to do with the games. Twice as many Game Boys/Colors were sold compared to the 3DS. Popularity of handheld consoles has declined rapidly thanks to smartphones.

The fact that Pokemon continues to sell as much as it does despite that is a testament to the franchise.
>>
Too lazy to read the thread

Anyone pointed out the obvious difference in handheld sales? Everyone had a gameboy but no one had a 3ds except to play pokemon on
>>
>>27546672
Pretty much every one said that and even noted how that small spike in gen 4 still represents a decline because it underperformed given the DS' hardware count.
>>
>>27546672
>Anyone pointed out the obvious difference in handheld sales? Everyone had a gameboy but no one had a 3ds except to play pokemon on

This.
>>
>>27544968
Based on what you're trying to say, practically none of the Pokemon games fulfilled your needs. Fuck back off to /v/
>>
>>27546707
So it's Pokemon's obligation to sell DS now?
>>
>>27546858
Feel free to stop posting.
>>
>>27545318
Why want the silph scope except for ghosts, the one gen1 thing that beats psychic?
>>
>>27542175
because sales are not a measure of quality
sales only means it had good marketing and a touch of luck

plenty of god tier games have sold fuck all while shitty game have gone wild
>>
>>27545507
If you mass produce it, you don't have them exclusively, meaning everyone else can do it too and you lose your rarity
>>
>>27547112
Yeah, also trends and consumer attitudes like piracy and Pokemon being "uncool" at one time
>>
>>27545541
Based on this, I'd say 1, 2, and 3 were people's favorites, since 4 is second only because it contains the remakes of 2.
>>
>>27546272
Same. I also never beat red due to similar reason. Just this long boring drag.
>>
File: 1456267546520.jpg (19KB, 273x153px) Image search: [Google]
1456267546520.jpg
19KB, 273x153px
>>27547136
You do realise you can mass produce something without releasing it to the public right?
Especially since the master ball was the only one in the region. They could have easily taken the designs and the working ball and have the scientists that defected build their own master balls and destroy the remaining data in Silph.
>>
>>27544745
Alright. This anon >>27545132 reporting in.

The gen 3+ lines that get bigger as defined as grow in size and change very little in design and theme:
>Sceptile
>Mightyena
>Linoone
>Swellow
>Delcatty
>Swalot
>Wailord
>Camerupt
>Cacturne
>Crawdaunt
>Torterra
>Infernape
>Staraptor
>Bibarel
>Luxray
>Rampardos
>Floatzel
>Lopunny
>Purugly
>Skuntank
>Garchomp
>Lucario
>Hippowdon
>Toxicroak
>Abomasnow
>Manaphy
>Probopass

Then for added bonus pokemon that have alt pokemon that look EXTREMELY similar:
>Plusle & Minun
>Volbeat & Illuminise
>Castforms
>Regis
>Latios & Latias
>Deoxys
>Burmy
>Wormadam
>Shellos
>Gastrodon
>Rotom
>Azelf, Mespirit, Uxie
>Dialga, Palkia
>Giratina

Only had time to go through gen 4.
>>
Trading you'd be surprised at how many parents out and refused to buy what they thought was the same game twice
>>
>Have a buddy who hasn't played since gen 2
>Give him White 2
>Calls everything he sees ugly, save for any gen 1/2 mons
>Been showing him all the new SM stuff
>Same responses
>Recent trailer
>Alola forms and trial instead of gyms
>"That's pretty cool. Glad they're mixing things up."
The nostalgiafags brought back by Go, new kids, and the enfranchised players like us are going to make this game fucking huge.
>>
>>27547283
>>Sceptile
Huge design change
>>Mightyena
reasonable design change and a noticable color change
>>Linoone
Loses the Zigzag theme and anything tying it to Zigzagoon
>>Swellow
reasonable design change with new markings and details
>>Delcatty
Eyes open, neck pillow, color change
>>Swalot
Changed in color and shape, loses head feather and gains whiskers
>>Wailord
Body and shape change
>>Camerupt
You're kidding right?
>>Cacturne
Body change to a large degree as in it's not just a head with limbs any more.
>>Crawdaunt
Star, sunken eyes, thicker hind legs, developed claws
>>Torterra
The three stages look completely different
>>Infernape
Not as evident as torterra but still more than "it just gets bigger"
>>Staraptor
Crest, Markings, thicker talons, eyes, beak
>>Bibarel
Body in general especially the tail and hind legs
>>Luxray
Gradual change in design throughout evolution
>>Rampardos
Color and body changes particularly around the head
>>Floatzel
Float design changed additional markings
>>Lopunny
Nearest one to "it just gets bigger" but still has enough design changes to set it apart.
>>Purugly
Entirely different body shape as well as markings, color and even whiskers
>>Skuntank
Body and color changes
>>Garchomp
If the others weren't an idicator of you shitposting than this is.
>>Lucario
Additional colors, spikes and markings
>>Hippowdon
Additional holes, massive color change, eye relocation, ridges on limbs
>>Toxicroak
Color change, relocation of croaker?, hand spikes, additional markings
>>Abomasnow
Body and color change, eye relocation
>>Manaphy
Eye design changed in shape and color, more markings, legs no head bulb
>>Probopass
I hope you're being ironic because this is a pokemon people complained about for not looking like the original enough.

Your problem seems to be that you think "it just gets bigger" means it retains a theme rather than it literally just gets bigger like Typlosion, Poliwrath, Muk, Dewgong, electrode.
These have next to no real changes
>>
>>27547447
How much do you want to bet he's going to be amazed by the changes that have been in the game since gen 3?
>>
>>27547283
> Implying Probopass is a just get bigger evolution
> When it's a restored Moai head when before was a ruined Moai
> When it's a windrose when before was just a common compass
> When it has a mustache like an adult human when before was looked like a kid

> BUT IT'S JUST GET BIGGER
>>
>>27547283
>Then for added bonus pokemon that have alt pokemon that look EXTREMELY similar:
>>Plusle & Minun
>>Volbeat & Illuminise
>>Castforms
>>Regis
>>Latios & Latias
>>Deoxys
>>Burmy
>>Wormadam
>>Shellos
>>Gastrodon
>>Rotom
>>Azelf, Mespirit, Uxie
>>Dialga, Palkia
>>Giratina

As for this, this is goal post moving at it's finest.
For one the conversation was about evolutions not forms or similar Pokemon.
Two, as a rule of thumb formes have to resemble the base form because they aren't evolving into a different Pokemon. So that strikes of Deoxys, Castform, Burmy, Wormadam, Shellos, Gastrodon, Rotom and Giratina. Even then their additional forms make more of a change than the ones I listed in my other post. Same goes for Plusle and Minun, Volbeat and Illumise, Latios and Latias and the Lake trio.
Three Dialga and Palkia have no resemblance to each other at all.

At this point I'm more concerned about your sight than just anything else.
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (25KB, 386x273px) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
25KB, 386x273px
>>27547852
He thinks these two Pokemon look extremely close to each other.
He's clearly retarded.
>>
>>27542175
only autists care about anything past gen 2
>>
>>27547963
>only autists care about anything past gen 1
ftfy
normies dropped out during 2 which is why no one remembers the Pokemon there outside of the ashmon.
>>
>>27547723
>Nitpicking designs for pokemon to suit your bullshit argument

Hey I can do this too friendo.

>Typhlosion just gets bigger
Loses it's tail and head flares, face changes completely, becomes bipedal
>Electrode
Colors obviously inverse, eyes change entirely, gains mouth
>Muk
Eyes noticeably change, loses an arm
>Poliwrath
Eyes change, gets shoulders, stomach area changes

You see if you make a general enough statement like "It just gets bigger" as a criticism then it has application when you start to say shit like Poliwrath or just gets bigger but Swellow doesn't. Really what's it showing is you're genposting.

>>27547863
It's not moving the goalpost you moron it's a separate point to counter the greater argument that the earlier gens had lazier designs.
>>
>>27546506
>because there were less people that meant no one knew how to do it.
No, it means there was less piracy, as I said in my original comment >>27544225

You seem to be arguing an entirely different (and irrelevant) point.
>>
>>27547914
They do look alike: overdesigned dragons bettet suited for digimon.
>>
>>27546650
See>>27543558
>>
>>27542516
Piracy was rampant on the PS1 (and contributed to its success) but not on cartridge-based consoles. emulators were around, sure but not many people owned computers or had the know-how to access roms.

Pokemon started an insane craze when rby came out, it was the thing that every kid wanted and got for christmas or their birthday. The following iterations didn't have the same impact.
>>
>>27548813
Muk has two arms, they can just absorb in.
>>
>everyone and their mother criticizes the new pokemon designs
>by raw numbers, it's shown that they sold considerably less than the 'nostalgia' generations 1 and 2
>b-but they're still just as good!!
>>
>>27542175
>how come mario always manages to outsell the previous marios

I dont think SM3DW outsold SMG. Not only is 3DW an inferior game, but no one has a Wii U.
>>
You played RBY you've played them all. But that's the harsh reality of the game not changing for exactly 20 years
>>
>>27543631
Gen 5 was the worst gen so far but gen 4 slightly better

which is accurately represented in sales, so, makes sense!
>>
File: 1469467845353.jpg (85KB, 619x398px) Image search: [Google]
1469467845353.jpg
85KB, 619x398px
>>27555113
and yet, people get upset over the possiblity of gyms changing
>>
>>27554245
>everyone and their mother whos played the games loves the new pokemon designs and may criticize some, regardless of generation
>>
>>27543631
The DS sold a ridiculous amount of units.
>>
>>27555331
I'm not sure but I'd wager it's probably gen wunners.

So far all the shit I've seen has gotten me more hyped than I've ever been for a pokemon game (mostly because there's never really been any hype outside of new pokemon) and I've been playing since I was 4 with RBY.
>>
>>27544549
>Gen 4 was shit and 5 got a bad rap because of 4 and not having previous pokemon until the end.

Gen 3 was the one that gave everything a bad name. 4 was what made a fair amount of people pick it back up after the disappointment.

And then 5 happened and things were well.
>>
>>27542175
Actually once you adjust for inflation aka the value of the different currencies at the times ruby and sapphire outsold r/b/y
>>
>>27542933
This is correct
>>27555466
>>
>>27555466
What has hgss grossed then?
>>
>>27550342
That's still not looking alike dipshit, thats like saying a wolf and a bear look the same because they're better suited to be on land then in the water.
>>
>>27554486
>No one. That's factually wrong, 3DW sold roughly 5 million units,
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.