[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>pokémon in Alola region still have the same names despite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 17

File: disgust.jpg (20KB, 258x320px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
20KB, 258x320px
>pokémon in Alola region still have the same names despite the regional differences
Someone tell me how this makes sense
>>
what? it makes complete sense.
>>
itspokemoniaintgonnaexplainshit.jpg
>>
>>27527760
>Sandslash
>>
Because they aren't different Pokemon.
>>
>>27527760
are you thick?
>pokémon that digs ice and has never seen sand is called Sandslash/shrew
>>
We really needed this thread again, thanks OP
>>
>>27527739
I'm not sure what you're outraged about, because you're outrage is vague

Are you outraged that pokemon from gen 1-6 don't have new names reflecting the regional difference?

Or are you outraged that the alola variants don't have different names from their parent form?
>>
>>27527739

Do they call Elephants that live in Africa anything different from the ones that live in India, other than specifying the region they're from? No, they don't.

Your retard is showing, OP.
>>
>>27527739
The pokemon say their names
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 297x312px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 297x312px
>the same animal that is native to different locations should have two names
Okay, OP.
>>
>>27527775
but they are unique to that region, are you telling me native Alolans wouldn't have an entire different name for it?
>>
>>27527804
we call a fox that lives in snow an arctic fox
we call a fox that lives in sand a desert fox

this is simple logic, people
>>
They've done multiple forms for Pokemon in the past, such as Gastrodon, and nobody ever bat an eye. The only difference now is that it's being done for older Pokemon, so it just /feels/ odd because we're used to it happening to Pokemon in the generation in which they're introduced.
>>
>>27527739
How fucking dumb are you? Why do so many people not understand this shit? There are species of the same thing all over the world, yet they're the same species. There are Cockroaches here that can't use the internet, yet here you are, and still a Cockroach.
>>
>>27527809
Maybe they did, but kanto imperialists forced their names onto everything.
>>
>>27527760
>>27527780
Jesus you people are dumb

It's an established pokemon both in game and IRL that has adapted to a snowy environment. They're not gonna rename it when it literally is just Alola Sandshrew/slash. If they find new types of eagles they don't completely rename them because they're a different colour.
>>
>>27527835
Alola Ninetales and Kanto Ninetales.
>>
>any criticism of immersion breaking aspects is being dismissed as "genwunner" by gamefreak shills
Someone tell me how this makes sense
>>
>>27527835
But but vulpix and nintails don't have anything to do with fire

What would you, for example, gardevoir that's native to alola?
>>
>>27527877
Also you just moved to the alola region so you wouldn't know what the regionals call it, so you decide to call it based off what you know most
>>
>>27527835
Alolan Sandshrew
Sandshrew

Alolan Vulpix
Vulpix

The standard, common, and first discovered remain the same. The different ones are named that way for the region they inhabit.
>>
>>27527864
>>27527878
polar bear
grizzly bear

???????
>>
>>27527783
every excuse to post multichinned woman is good excuse
>>
>>27527894
>ctrl+f genwunner
>Just you

Please just admit you're retarded and stop these threads
>>
>>27527913
Sandshrew
Alolan Sandshrew
???
>>
>>27527913
Sandshrew
Alolan Sandshrew
Same thing senpai
>>
>>27527809
No, because they were brought in as the regular pokemon and mutated/adapted in Alola over time. With the possible exception of Exeggutor.

But since the species was first registered, and it didn't change just enough to be a different Pokémon, it keeps the name.
>>
>>27527913
polar denotes a region
Alola denotes a region

Consider suicide
>>
>>27527739
Because they are the same Pokemon
>>
File: implmiking.png (1MB, 943x1013px) Image search: [Google]
implmiking.png
1MB, 943x1013px
>>27527835
but they are both foxes, adding arctic in front on the word FOX does not change the fact that they are both FOXES, and also, if we're going by that logic, then its fine because they are literally called their name i.e VULPIX (FOX) with the prefix or suffix ALOLAN FORM (ARCTIC)
fuck you.
why is everyone on /vp/ so retarded. i hate it here.
>>
>>27527968
alolan SANDslash
>>
>>27527835
Yes. And "Aloan Form" acts the same way as the descriptive terms you mentioned. It's an Aloan Vulpix, an Aloan Sandshrew and so on.

But just like people who live in the artic will usually just call an artic fox a fox, people on Alola call the pokemon just their names instead of mentioning Alola Form.
>>
It doesnt make sense OP, you're right. Don't listen to the autists defending this shit. Why the fuck would Sandshrew/slash continue to be called such if they arent made out of fucking sand?

>inb4 "they still say their names as sandshrew/sandslash

So fucking change it. Yeah, they can be part of the same genus or family or whatever, but call them fucking Snowshrew/Snowslash or something. Something to set them apart other than Sandshrew and "sandshrew that isnt made of sand that lives on this one island". It's so fucking retarded that a creature made of ice and steel keeps sand in its name.
>>
>>27527835
different species

Sandshrew and Snowshrew are the same species thus Gamefreak kept the name
>>
>>27527739
It doesn't, welcome to the red pilled portion of the Pokemon community where memeing faggots call you le genwunner for not being an absolute sycophant. it's cold here and we are few but we have each other
>>
>>27527984
okay, nobody is this fucking stupid, its bait guys, go home.
>>
>>27527739
Why do we have to explain basic shit in a board that is 18+?
>>
>>27527989
I really hope these are just bait. Pretending to be this retarded is a art.
>>
>>27528010
>Get dunked on
>It's just bait guys
What's the upside of being an apologist?
>>
>>27527989
They aren't called shrew and slash respectively though, just because there name is now mismatched doesn't mean that an Aloloan sandshrew is not still an Aloan sandshrew
>>
YEAH EXEGGCUTE SHOULD BE CALL TALLCOCONUTCUTE NOW BEACAUSE HES NOW A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POKEMON BECAUSE HE LOOKS DIFFERENT SEE HAHA IM SO RETARDED LLOOLOLGRHRNB ARCTIC FOX ISNT THE SAME AS RGLAR DESERT FOX LOLOLOLOL WHY WOOD A SAND SLASH BE A SANDS SLASH IF ITS NOT MADE OF SNOW LOOK EVERYBODY I ID ONT UNDERSTADN CLASSIFICATION AND TAXONIMY BLEH BLKEN
>>
File: polar-bear-2.jpg (132KB, 1278x624px) Image search: [Google]
polar-bear-2.jpg
132KB, 1278x624px
>>27527913
>>
>>27527989
Pokémon saying their names is an anime thing, except for Pikachu.

And what sets these pokémon apart is "Alola Form".
Just like with several real life species, you don't come up with a completely different name because a population of the same species look different, you tackle a second name that designates it and sets it apart from the main/previously known branch, but their keep the generic name.
>>
>>27528001
agreed 100%, fuck these ignoramuses
>>
>>27528001
See
>>27527929

You people being retarded has nothing to do with gens
>>
Have people on this board never attended a biology class in their lives? This is beyond stupid.
>>
>>27528016
how many people over the age of 18 do you honestly believe come on a 4chan board about pokemon?
my guess is about 25%
>>
Why is it called a slow worm, guys? Some of them move pretty fast, why aren't those ones called fast worms?
>>
>>27528046
>Capitalise sand
>Get dunked on

Okay
>>
>tfw you realise that there are some people that actually think this way
>some of them even refuse to accept they're wrong

I don't want to accept this, I'll call it bait.
>>
>upon exploring a new region you come across all new pokémon that have different names obviously picked by the native population
>somehow the regional variaties have the region of origin names
/vp/ is alot dumber than I expected, there is no "biologic" classification in Pokémon cause it's a fucking fantasy game, there's classifications like type and "mouse pokemon, rock pokemon"
how can you be this willfully ignorant? OP makes complete sense
>>
>>27528172
>alot
>stupid post
Yeah, checks out.
>>
If Vileplume uses sweet scent do we change it's name?
>>
>>27527739
Because they aren't from Alola. Somebody brought vulpix and sandshrew there and then they adapted to the climate. They're still called the same thing because it's the same pokemon that changed, rather than an entirely new pokemon species.
>>
>>27527739
Okay, here. I don't really like it either, but misnomer shit like this is way too prevalent around the world.

In Danish, we call carrots "gulrod" which means yellow root, despite whatever color it actually is.

In English, Sunspiders are called so, despite not being spiders at all! People confuse mosquito hawks with craneflies, sweetpotatoes and yams both are just called the former.

Oh, animals is only what counts? Fox is a broad term with many species, but it's not a genus either. In the same way Germanic languages take that name after the extant geo-area, Sandshrew might the name given to those first encountered in earthet, but maintained broadness through assimilation, rather than ideological adaptation.

Adaptation vs. assimilation is pretty common, and a great example is watching kids call like, horses cows because they learned cow first. We as adults do it, too!
>>
>>27528172
Eh, they probably got tired of naming regional pokemon stupid shit like alolalalo or topopolopo. So, they went with superior gen I names.
>>
>>27528221
sandshrew migrated though, read the pokédex entry you faggot
>>
We dunno shit about Alolan language. We might be getting fed this "translation" to make it easier.
>>
>>27527989
>if they arent made out of fucking sand?
Sandshrew and Sandslash aren't made of sand either.
>>
>>27528172
But it has been made a point that at least some of those pokemon first showed up in Alola in their regular forms, and mutated over time.
They know what the originals were, it's not like Ice Vulpix was there before human civilization.
>>
>>27528070
Want to be friends, anon? My favorite pokemon are Arcanine and Espeon what are yours?
>>
WTF!!!!!!!! Saw an AFRICAN elephant at the zoo today, I don't live in AFRICA. This is retarded are they even trying???
>>
>>27528278
slowbro and cryogonal
>>
>>27528303
Cryogonal is an interesting choice, what do you like about snowflakebro
>>
It's still the same Pokemon

The issue is that something happened that they had to adapt to Weather changes

Otherwise it's still the same species
>>
>>27528319
caught him as a shiny in my first B&W run and loved him ever since
>>
>>27527739
>a spider in california is called a spider in australia
woah!
>>
>>27528340
>the form changing bird still has different names
explain this to me faggots
>>
>>27528355
That's fucking dope, I've been playing since 98 and never seen a shiny. Whats your opinion on the new starter chinkleaks
>>
>>27528392
They don't...
>>
File: fuck you OP.png (2MB, 1996x2560px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you OP.png
2MB, 1996x2560px
>>27527739
>>
>>27528392
They have the same name, but different form names.
Just like the Alola Form pokemon.
>>
>>27528392
They're all Oricorio, baka
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-03-16-17-37.png (422KB, 1440x2266px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-03-16-17-37.png
422KB, 1440x2266px
>>27528458
Cool now do one where you explain pic related, because "Fox" isn't intrinsically and colloquially tied to the nature of the animal in the same way that fucking SANDshrew is. Faggot
>>
>>27527780
>>27527878
To be fair, Sandshrew is one of the weirder choives since it has sand in its name

Mind, we also have stupid shit like that in real life so hey
>>
Snowshrew
>>
>>27528541
Alola sandshrew is a sandshrew though. Just because it's name no longer matches it's type doesn't change that. When you see a picture of it do you think hey new pokemon or hey new sandshrew?
>>
>>27528541
SandSHREW isn't really based on a shrew. If it can fake one aspect of its name, why not both?
>>
>>27528597
Great input
>>
>>27528541
Because all other sandshrew live in the sand and they are seen as the default. It is only in alola that they are in the snow and change to be that way. They are still sandshrew, not an entirely different Pokemon and are thus named as such.
>>
>>27528648
>what does colloquial mean
>>
>>27527760
if there can be artic foxes and red foxes, yet bioth of them are still foxes, I'm pretty sure a mole/ pangolin thing can have the same kind of variation.
>>
>>27528458
This is so good omg
>>
>>27528665
This is like asking why every old Pokémon that appeared in Kalos and Unova didn't have different names given by people native of that region.
>>
>>27528703
People who type like this are the people who don't understand local colloquialisms and the difference between a common name and a biological classification

Why am I not surprised, you fucking human emoji?
>>
>>27528665
I'd like to hear what you think it means, sandshrew isn't a nickname that goes away with the sand
>>
File: moths.png (836KB, 1829x1509px) Image search: [Google]
moths.png
836KB, 1829x1509px
>>27528541
easy. fuck you.
thats you there, in the red text. i know you have a hard time thinking about hard things :(
>>
>>27528724
Explain why Unova and Kalos don't have colloquialisms for pokémon originating from elsewhere.
>>
>>27528724
Oh shit sorry didn't see you were qualified in pokemon taxology, what is sandshrews binomial name?
>>
>>27528745
Because it's a series made for children and making up new names for Pokemon in every region would be unnecessary busywork.
>>
The three of you have stumbled onto something important: at a certain point, Pokemon becomes stupid and doesn't have a solid foundation. Why not just admit in light of this that the sandshrew thing is fucking stupid because it wasn't well considered ahead of time? Why not just admit its precipitated by band aiding bad design?

Also nice moth image faggot tell me again who is autistic over pokemans?

>>27528768
Lel googles see above
>>
>>27527780
Are you?
The name is the species name, not its given name you dumbshit.
>>
>>27528731
/thread.
Holy fuck.
>op asks anon to point out any instance where a scientific name doesn't apply to every species
>anon hands it to him on a silver platter.
OP intrinsically, ultimately, horribly, BTFO on a leviathan scale.
>>
So let's assume Snowshrew is what they call it. What do they call the Alolan Sandslash? It's Iceslash?
>>
>>27528801
He literally just posts on why etymology renders a thing a local effect of language anyway, and doesn't blow a song thing the fuck out of anywhere though
>>
>>27528787
>get btfo
>y-you're autisitc >:(((
at the end of the day we're all arguing about pokemon names on a hungarian dart throwing board.
we're all autistic.
you're just more autistic than me bacause you're wrong.
:^)
>>
>>27528785
And coming up with a new colloquial name for a Pokémon that belongs to a subspecies of a known one, instead of just adding a term describing the difference (Alola form, in this case, but this applies to every previously introduced forme), is also unnecessary busywork.
This was the point I was trying to make.
>>
>>27528057
qt
>>
>>27528787
So no chance of getting your reasoning why sandshrew is a local colloquialism? You're just declaring this is all stupid but that it matches your stupid?
>>
>>27528834
>Haha i win and you're autistic
>if anything you acting like showing how etymology is inherently localized affects of language does anything but prove my point makes you more autistic
>its just Pokemon man were all autistic haha

Get fucked gimpfag
>>
>>27528868
>being this upset about being wrong
>>
About the "it makes no sense it's called Sandshrew if it doesn't live in the sand", I'd like to remind you there's an animal called Turkey who is native from America.
>>
>>27528841
You keep saying colloquial, why cant sandshrew just be called sandshrew full stop like in the 6 other gens?
>>
>>27528891
>projecting with meme directionals
Fun conversation overall
>>
>>27528868
you're wrong.
you're autistic.
you have no idea what you're talking about.
nobody agrees with you.
a sandshrew is a sandshrew is a sandshrew.
on lives in alola, on lives in the rest of the world.
people have proven you wrong over and over.
you keep changing your story
>prove to me where this happens
>i-mean local names dont count! show me a scientific name!
>i-i-mean entomology doesnt count! show me something else!!!
fuck you. im done.
>>
>"Why don't they call it a turkey in Turkey?"
>>
>>27528250
Yeah, migrated from areas of sand and rock, where Sandshrew would still apply
>>
File: 1466182961188.jpg (92KB, 344x315px) Image search: [Google]
1466182961188.jpg
92KB, 344x315px
>>27528926
>>
>>27528908
I suggest you re-read the previous comments.
I'm justing using colloquial as a term because it is what the guy I was originally talking with kept using to say why there should be a difference between the variant and original's name.

It can and should be just Sandshrew unless the context requires otherwise. If so, it's Alola Form Sandshrew.
>>
>>27528912
And you don't know what projecting means. Fuck, Anon, take a break.
>>
>>27528926
Quit that, now he'll just ignore me and continue this "no you're an autist" back and forth
>>
>>27528971
>calling me mad when I'm not mad because you're getting mad
That's projecting, my dude-o
>>
>>27528898
>Turkeys are called "Peru" in Portuguese
>They're not from Peru either
>>
>>27527739
>wtf the chink dog is still called a dog???? he doesn't even look like my mother's dog???
>>
>>27528458
>>27528541
>>27528620
>>27528648
>>27528689
>>27528703
>>27528731
>>27528727
>>27528926
/thread tbqh famalam smdh
>>
>>27528969
Sorry it's 5am here and I'm getting posters mixed up
>>
>>27528731
>>27528458
im afraid you might be autistic.
but i think you're right.
>>
Reminder that it's confirmed that different parts of the Pokemon world speak different languages, as noted by foreign characters with accents and things like that one Lumiose tourist lady.

It's all translated and uniformized for convenience's sake, because it's a videogame. So if it makes you feel better, feel free to imagine the Aloans are calling all the pokemon (not just the new forms) completely different names that better suit your autism.
>>
Sandshrew dig in the ground.

There's sand all over Alola.

Snowshrew probably dig around the permafrost and shit.

ILLIMINFUCKYOUAUGHTY CONFIRMED.
>>
I wish they had renamed Sandshrew to Snowshrew. It fixes the sand part and becomed its own little pun (snowshrew, snowshoes)
>>
>>27528989
That was my first post to you, and I called you upset, which you certainly seemed to be. So no, not projecting, just an observation based on your posts. Good try though, I do still suggest you take a break.
>>
File: justhangedmyshitupfamilia.jpg (46KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
justhangedmyshitupfamilia.jpg
46KB, 600x581px
>STEEL/ICE

jesus fucking christ what did sandshrew do to deserve this
>>
>>27527739
I mean what the fuck do you want to name them?

>Exeggutall
>Icepicks
>Ninedegreesbelow
>Snowshrew
>Coldsteel
>>
Okay here's my thought on this raucous debateeruski

sandshrew is clearly a colloquial name first and foremost, based on the nature of the Pokemon as it was discovered to be a ground type.
>but if that's true then why don't sandshrew in (insert any other region you can find a sandshrew in here) have different colloquial names?
well, presumably because the Pokemon world is technologically advanced enough for people across all regions to share that information academically. Which means that the colloquial name which was first given to the Pokemon is the one it retained, and keep in mind that is predicated on the fact that across all regions it's a ground type which reflects that simple naming convention
>cut to Alola
>ice sandshrew is native
this presents a problem because it either means that Alola is isolated academically and technologically from the rest of the Pokemon regions this far, if they all have never heard of an ice "sandshrew"
But this can't be the case because they have elected to refer to it as sandshrew, which reflects the fact that Alola has adopted an outside naming convention. if Alola was isolated it's not plausible they would have given an ice type Pokemon a ground based name

See the contradiction? I conclude Gamefreak fucked up the lore, and then realize that Pokemon has no proper lore, and so I conclude it's a tiny cosmetic mistake which is the result of poor design. Tiny, trivial, but a mistake nonetheless
>>
>>27529178
>Exeggutall
well, i know what i'm nicknaming mine now
>>
We've reached the part of the argument where people just tell each other to calm down and call each other autists, don't know why I bother posting in these threads
>>
>>27528398
Well, I definitely want to stick my little pecker in that fine-looking sea lion. Hell, I think I'd dip my pixie stick in the other two as well. Make it a four way!

Too bad I can only choose one :(((

How about you, friend?
>>
>>27529195
Sandshrew were originally ground type on Alola. They migrated to the mountains. So when they were first named, they were appropriate SANDshrew
>>
>>27529195
except that they dug in the sandy areas of alola before volcanic activity forced them into the snowy regions. ice sandshrew is not native to alola and nobody would name a pokemon that lives in a sandy area near a volcano snowshrew.
>>
>>27529195
>It's a mistake because it doesn't fit in the system I decided existed

Being called sandshrew doesn't mean it's colloquial it means it's a kids game, thought we were finally rid of that word
>>
>>27529244
>>27529254
now maybe in a few hundred years the alolans would start to call then snowshrew, but pokemon have demonstrated on many occasions the ability to alter their body structure and composition to adapt to an environment in a single generation. ice sandshrew might have just showed up to the party last year in universe.
>>
>>27529244
>>27529254

Interesting theory. Two questions:
1. Is this backed up by Gamefreak?
2. What about for other lines of Pokemon whose names are based on something more specific? For example, Arcanine is a name that is based on a mythical fire-eating dog from Japanese legend. The leak rumors a water type "Arcanine" how would that make sense? Alternatively, what about Alakazam which is rumored to have a fighting type switcheroo. How on earth would that follow, it's name is a magical pun?
>>
Don't people in real life tend to argue about what specifically and "truly" constitutes the end of one species and the beginning of another anyway?
>>
>>27529325
Why are you here if you haven't read the dex? Also can I get a reason why these names must be colloquial?
>>
>>27529325
>Is this backed up by Gamefreak?
It is. Read it's official description
>>
>>27529325
>Is this backed up by Gamefreak?
yes nigger. did you not read the official descriptions?
>>
>>27529363
I don't follow your question, their names are quite literally colloquial
>>
>>27529325
Arcanine's name is Windie, because its as fast as the wind, some might say its speed is extreme.
>>
>>27529417
It's a children's game, what names would you expect?
>>
>>27529417
If you show me one piece of evidence that pokemon names are anything but their actual names I'll admit you're right, never seen any Latin in the pokedex
>>
>>27527739
If they didn't have the same names genwunners would say that they're just copies off of gen 1 pokemon
>>
>>27529465
He's not wrong. Both Kabutops and Oddish have scientific genus names. I'd assume every Pokemon does.
>>
>>27529499
Kabutops is anime so who gives a fuck, but what do you know oddish actually does have one
>>
>>27529543
>>27529561
Alright I'll stop getting angsty at colloquial, but there were still Alolain sandshrew before "snowshrew"
>>
File: 300.png (72KB, 298x168px) Image search: [Google]
300.png
72KB, 298x168px
The language we play Pokémon in is not the language of the Pokémon world. "Sandslash" is jut the name from our perspective in a real world sense, people in the Pokémon world do not speak English, they speak Pokémon world languages. You will notice that nowhere in the games things are written with human roman letters, only text boxes and interface is in english/japanese/etc.
Actual objects inside the world don't have english text on them. In the anime we often see those characters. Unown, which look like our alphabet, are treated in the Pokémon world as mysterious hieroglyphs.

So, discussing over SANDslash is pointless, since we don't know what their language sounds like or what meanings they attach to names, just as its pointless to discuss dex entries calling Pikachu a "mouse" Pokémon. This is just for practicality sake, inside that universe we don't know the words they use. Real animals do not exist there.
>>
>>27527780
>spider monkeys are actually spiders
My god you're autistic.
>>
>>27529644
i am sure someone with more autism than I can pull up a game screenshot that disproves this. dont fail me now 4chan.
>>
>>27529644
Addin to that, when "foreign" characters like Fantina (who speaks in a french soundig way to us english players, but in Japan she speaks english), we just use different real world languages as equivalent to the different Pokémon world languages.
>>
Because it's a Species
We don't go around calling Notch Ear Pichu . Notchu. Or Mega Charizard, Charigon
>>
>>27529678
You can't because it doesn't exist. Even Professor Juniper's letter with the starter box in BWs beggining is all blurry before a "interface" screen appears on top of it with the english/japanese/etc text.
>>
File: Screenshot (7).png (11KB, 126x131px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (7).png
11KB, 126x131px
>>27529713
oh shit nigger, it doesnt exist?
>>
>>27529678
>>27529713
>>27529752
They retconned it starting with BW.

http://kotaku.com/5986150/deciphering-pokmons-mysterious-language
>>
>>27527739
honestly this whole "Regional differences" thing is fucking retarded. They should have just been new pokemon instead of variations of old ones.
>>
>>27529784
explain why the hyper ball still has a giant H on it then, explain the master ball having a giant M
>>
>>27527780
So because a Marine Iguana has never seen the jungle like the Green Iguana it should be given a complete new name?
>>
>>27529784
>kotaku
Opinion discarded
>>
Why are we all skimming over
>>27529626
>>27529254
>>27529244
>>27529310
>>
>>27529784
thats about the anime though? doesnt do shit to retcon >>27529752
>>
>>27529844
Like I said, they didn't have this future sight (lel) in Gen I. They never even knew there were going to be more and more regions, so they never bothered to explain things like how real world animals work, etc. Slowly over the years they started defining the "rules" of this world. There even is that Pokémon merchandising guide that got leaked and posted here that contained instructions such as "Real animals do not exist in the Pokémon world. Avoid depicting humans eating animal-based food and always prefer more ambiguous things, like candy or berries" or something like that. You can find it.

The Lumiose billboards (in the games) that show Dianha's movies and PR videos also use some kind of made up language, I can't find the screenshot now.
>>
File: lumiose-city.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lumiose-city.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
>>27529904
See >>27529968

Pic related
I can't find it in better quality, but it uses a madeup language.
>>
Because it's not a different fucking species you idiot, we don't call a bird by a different name just because it migrated and adapted to a different environment.
>>
File: productmanual4.jpg (42KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
productmanual4.jpg
42KB, 680x510px
>>27529968
Here is part of that "merchandising guide" I mentioned. Even if there are things that disprove this in earlier games/episodes, this is the canon now.
>>
>>27530064
Link to the full thing for those interested.

http://www.thetanooki.com/2015/01/04/product-approval-manual-provides-insight-into-the-world-of-pokemon/
>>
File: 20150116003022!Giovanni_Origins.png (180KB, 564x319px) Image search: [Google]
20150116003022!Giovanni_Origins.png
180KB, 564x319px
>>27529968
>>27530005
>>27529784
>retconned starting with BW
then explain this.
>>
>>27530172
Are you being obtuse on purpose? (why am I even asking, of course you are)
Some artistic liberties have to be made.
>>
>>27530172
Thats anime based on gen 1
>>
>>27530172
Ancient mysterious letters.
>>
File: 1469814049573.jpg (21KB, 375x383px) Image search: [Google]
1469814049573.jpg
21KB, 375x383px
>>27529163

>Steel/Ice
>Even slower than regular Sandslash, who is already slow as shit.
>Likely to have the same BST and not be min-maxed to hell.
>>
>>27530229
>>27530231

That is simply artistic license. Of course they also need things to be easily understandable by kids. Things like the Magma, Rocker and Plasma symbols having letters is just designed based on... well. Us, the real world players.

Don't play devils' advocate >>27530172
You know that these are exceptions.
>>
>>27530251
but snow cloak anon.
>>
>hurrdurr but it has sand in its name
Names don't ever make fucking sense, think of all of the real life animals with -fish in their names that aren't even close to being fish.
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.