[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stakeout: Is this ability going to be ACTUALLY useful? It sounds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: gumshoos.png (282KB, 660x396px) Image search: [Google]
gumshoos.png
282KB, 660x396px
Stakeout: Is this ability going to be ACTUALLY useful? It sounds like an awesome gimmick, but how likely do you think the Normal type here is going to make other players want to switch?

And to have it trigger even a single time ingame, they would have to overhaul the fucking AI because they never switch unless they are literally unable to do anything against the current opponent, and even the designated "good" trainers that do switch only consider doing so when their current pokemon would be weak to your pokemon's type. Which in this case is NORMAL. God damn it there better be like 5 new U-Turn moves introduced this gen.
>>
>>27488074
Just use Strong Jaw in-game.
>>
If you have a stakeout pokemon, they're not gonna switch.

You'd need a massive hard to counter thread to even get someone to consider switching on a stakeout mon, like primal groudon.
>>
>>27488074
just this
>>27488151
Strong Jaw would work great. He'll have access to crunch, bite, hyper fang... maybe the elemental fang moves?
>>
>>27488074
Dazzling and Dancer are super situational too.
Corrosive isn't all that either.
Everyone's hyping these new abilities too much, can't wait for everyone's disappointment.
>>
>>27488172
it might work out in double battles where your 2nd pokemon hard counters them and they have no choice
>>
Maybe he learns Roar
>>
Imagine a x2 damage, STAB, max attack giga impact from this nigga

too bad literally nobody would be retarded enough to ever let that happen
>>
>>27488074
It's for Baton Passing most likely.
>>
>>27488213
Fuck
>>
>>27488183
>Doubles with lilligant
>Lilli uses Quiver Dance
>Bird copies, then gets to move
>Lilli uses Petal Dance
>Bird copies then moves

Yeah. Situational.
>>
Idk about in game but it's similar to Analytic, and that works well.
>>
>>27488074
Stakeout is incredible, but it's not like Huge Power in that it'll salvage a shitmon like Gumshoos is likely to be. The Pokemon needs to be at least good in the first place to actually scare stuff out.
>>
>>27488183
Blocking priority is very useful in the current metagame and being able to poison anything is useful to break down Steel walls and black sludge users.
>>
>>27488277
>doubles
>petal dance
lol
>>
Would this mean in a double team and Gumshoo is out and you had to change a Pokemon. Do they take double damage too? It says Any Pokemon!

Also, how about this set
Roar
Fake out
Return
???
>>
>>27488183
>Dancer
>situational
>opponent literally can't set up on you
>>
>>27488182
What do you mean "would"? It's already confirmed to get it.
>>
>>27488213
It has to happen in the same turn, moron. Roar is incompatible with Stakeout.
>>
>>27488342
roar always has negative priority, wouldn't work
>>
>>27488374
Not trying to be a dick, just curious. Is English not your first language?
>>
File: 1456168320754.png (15KB, 474x540px) Image search: [Google]
1456168320754.png
15KB, 474x540px
What if Gumshoos gets Confuse Ray?
>>
does pursuit damage stack with stakeout?
>>
>>27488556
It's almost certainly getting Swagger
>>
>>27488584
Pursuit hits the enemy switching out, Stakeout hits the enemy switching in
>>
File: excited krab noises.png (48KB, 338x420px) Image search: [Google]
excited krab noises.png
48KB, 338x420px
>>27488590
>Swagger
>Screech
>Return
>some other 4th thing
It could work, a moveset based around crippling the opponent to the point where they would need to switch. All it truly needs is some decent Speed, since it's ability can compensate for a shitty Attack stat.
>>
File: 1466541241977.png (50KB, 318x308px) Image search: [Google]
1466541241977.png
50KB, 318x308px
>>27488682
And for Smogon to someday get less angry about Swagger.
>>
>>27488279
Is Analytic by itself that good? I never see anyone using watchog and beheyeem so I don't know about them, and afaik Magnetn/zone usually run Magnet Pull over it.

That leaves Starmie, and Analytic happens to be good on it because it can force a lot of pokémon out because of its great movepool, and it is also pretty fast so it can most likely hit first on the following turn.
>>
>>27488682
It definitely needs the stats to make it threatening. I hope GF doesn't make it so underwhelming in fear that stakeout would be too useful, thus undermining it altogether.

Pure normal typing won't help it's case since it won't have many things it can scare out. It needs a decent attack stat and speed (like you said). if it has mediocre speed and mediocre defenses (as earlygame rodents tend to have), most things will just stay in and go for the KO.

could be good for double battles though
>>
>>27488363
>Nasty Plot
>Bulk Up
>Calm Mind
>Curse

Not quite.
>>
Well, if some hugely damaging bite attack gets introduced, the prospect of Strong Jaw Gumshoos with the move could trick people into switching.
>>
>Step 1: teach Gumshoose a powerful normal type move like Return, Hyper Beam or Double-Edge

>Step 2: Give it Choice Band

>Step 3: Bait in a load bearing mon on the opposite team. Widdle it down with rocks and U-turn and switch into Gumshoose

>Step 4: make the opponent choose if they want to lose their weak mon or take double damage on their counter mon
>>
>>27488783
Why exactly did they ban Swagger?
>>
>>27489030
it was being abused with prankster/t-wave

so rather than banning a swag+prankster combo, they banned swagger altogether because the former is too complicated.

...then they proceeding to ban baton pass + more than one stat boost, so you can baton pass agility but not quiver dance. simple, right?
>>
>>27489030
Pure sweaty nerdrage. Klefki was making their battles too coinflippy.
>>
>>27489030
SwagPlay, I believe. Klefki could priority confuse you, then threaten you with a massivly powerful Foul Play.
>>
>>27489071
proceeded*
>>
>>27488363
>literally
>>27488818
>amnesia
>work up
>growth
>autotomize
>agility
>barrier
>belly drum
>coil
>tail glow
>stockpile
>shift gear
>shell smash
>geomancy
>sharpen
>howl
>withdraw
>rototiller
>rock polish
>cotton guard
>defend order
>defense curl
>double team
>minimize
>hone claws
>iron defense
>meditate
>noble roar
yeah, no.
>>
>>27489071
>>27489078
>>27489079
That's a little silly, you'd think that would just up the usage of Magic Bounce Espeon but I guess it wouldn't be Smogon if they didn't follow the logic of ban first, adapt never.

I hope that changes when Gen 7 drops, I'd love to give this guy a shot. That being said, what other Pokemon could potentially get this ability? Either as an HA or an ability on a Mega.
>>
>>27489172
well the thing is the only magic bounce users are weak to foul play. I think that it shouldve been a ban on swagger+prankster myself but yeah

as for other pokemon, think hunters. Luxray? Zangoose?
>>
>>27488783
>Smogon
lol

>>27489030
Same reason they banned Attract. They refuse to deal.
>>
>>27488790
I get the feeling it will have high attack and pack a nasty Crunch, making any Psychic types and Ghost types lacking will-o flee.
>>
>>27488074
he's gonna be a shitmon anyway also it's the same thing with corrosive

>you can poison everything
>steel types still are inmune to its poison attacks
>salandit looks like a glass canon

the same thing happened to Vivillon and powder
>>
File: image_5.jpg (71KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
image_5.jpg
71KB, 640x720px
>>27488277
>gimmick format
>not situational
Yeah, and Helping Hand is useful everywhere too
>>
>>27489395
Let them overhype Corrosive like they did with Rhyperior and Haxorus.
>>
>>27489395

>you can poison everything
>secondary type is fire, which already melts steel types
>>
File: 3243435.gif (721KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
3243435.gif
721KB, 500x381px
>>27488909
>Hyper Beam
>Choice Band
>>
>>27488277
Well it's definitely a huge nerf to any Quiver Dance user, which happen to all be bug/grass type Pokemon. (Which are weak to flying types.)
And any fighting type Swords Dance user isn't going to want to boost its flying opponents attack just so it can just kill it with Acrobatics or BB the next turn. (If it's fast, which it looks like it is.)
Then there's Dragon Dance. Okay, so Dragon types aren't going to be scared to death of the thing, but they'll still have to deal with it first before boosting.
And those are the three most common set up moves in the meta, so I'd say Ocuriocuru or whatever the fuck its name is will have it's place in the meta. And Dancer definitely will, depending upon distribution.
>>
>>27489495
Only time I can see it being useful out of Heatran is on Empoleon since it isn't weak to fire, but then Empoleon can hit salandit for super effective thanks to being water. At best it'll just give other poison types another status to worry about rather than steel.
>>
Unless the damage boost is higher than analtyic it's just a worse version of it

same way toxic boost is just a shitty version of guts
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.