[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Ice types are definitely getting a buff, right? It seems like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (32KB, 391x374px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 391x374px
So Ice types are definitely getting a buff, right? It seems like they're actually taking note of the meta a bit this time, and the fact that only shitmons have been given Alola forms so far makes me believe it's meant to help make old Pokemon relavent. If that's the case, they wouldn't just stuff ice type on half the variations when it's obviously the weakest type.
>>
>>27479198
>seems like they're actually taking note of the meta
>thinking the devs care about your shitty Smogon shit

(LOL
>>
Still the new sandslash has 4x weakness to fighting and fire. It won't be used outside of the story line sadly
>>
>>27479198
WHY would becoming an ice type be advantageous up in the cold mountains?

If you're a fire type up there you'd fucking be king of the mountain.

I hate how they tried to make it make "sense" with these Alola forms but didn't think about it for more than five seconds.
>>
Ice now resists Ground, Flying, and Dragon. How does this change the meta?
>>
>>27479213
Right. They just happened to add a bulky water type that neutralizes priority. Had nothing to do with bravest bird.
>>
the ice is there just to steamroll all the grass shitmons in the game
>>
>>27479399
>Gale Wings Brave Bird is the only priority move that exists
>>
>>27479213
>implying Smogon
>implying the shittiness of ice and prevalence of certain cancermons aren't universal throughout metas
>>
>>27479198
Ice should be super effective against water.
>>
>>27479439
Bravest Bird was the only priority move that was a problem.
>>
>my art being posted

;v;

also fuck ice types
>>
I've never played a pokemans that had online before.

Can I win with any regular pokemon I get during the game, or will I get stomped if I don't focus on EV/IV stuff?

Is it like Smash were everyone is an autistic tourneyfag?
>>
>>27479458
Freeze Dry

>>27479515
Yes it's like Smash, and yes you'll get stomped
>>
>>27479515
No
Yes
Yes
>>
>>27479471
I don't know what "was a problem" means, but sucker punch, bullet punch, aqua jet, fake out, are all very common right now
>>
File: megafroslass.jpg (58KB, 965x1024px) Image search: [Google]
megafroslass.jpg
58KB, 965x1024px
>>27479198
I hope Froslass gets an evolution or something.
>>
>Alola Jynx gets turned into Bellossom

Would kek
>>
no longer weak to fighting, gains resistance to grass and bug.
Bam.
(I can dram)
>>
>>27479359
Pokemon setting has always had ice types living in cold places and fire types in hot places.
>>
>>27479515
Competitive pokemon is the most autistic thing there is. It's not even slightly balanced so you have to make up a million rules just to make a game out of it. The official nintendo format doesn't have enough rules and so everyone uses the same pokemon right now.

And no, you can't use any old pokemon, you need optimal IV and EVs, it makes a huge difference.
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
43KB, 600x480px
>ice types getting more prominent
>tfw my favorite is m-sceptile and noivern
>just finished breeding a 5 IV Noivern and a 6 IV Treecko

bad timing
>>
>>27479359

Because it's about survival? One Vulpix is not enough to fundamentally change an ecosystem. It would just fucking freeze after it got tired. It needed to adapt to its new ecosystem.
>>
>>27479728

So everyone uses the same small pool of Pokemon? That sounds boring as fuck
>>
>>27479777
this

>>27479359
pay fucking attention in biology class
>>
fuck it will put aloloma forms in my gen VII box if the reach a relevant cometitive status. all my otehr boxes are full with IV Trained mons.
>>
>>27479725
And this is a specific case where a fire type moved to a cold area and became an ice type for some reason instead of dominating the icy region with its insane advantage of being a fire type.

>>27479777
>it would just freeze
>even though it can unfiguratively breath fire

Also one Vulpix is not a breeding population. A number of Vulpixes or others in the egg group would have to be up in the mountains and then over time it would have to be advantageous for Vulpixes to be born with ice traits. If anything the population should have split off into two variations of Alola mountain Vulpixes then since both fire and ice would be suited to survival but the fire would still be dominant.

>>27479820
I did that's why I'm remarking on how biologically retarded it is.
>>
>>27479789
In VGC 2016, which is Nintendo's ruleset for this year's official circuit. In smogon's format there is much more variety because OP pokemon and unfair strategies are actually banned.
>>
>>27479198
Ninetails might be pretty good with the right speed. I'm already mourning for Sandslash though.
>>
>>27479860
>unfair strategies
Get good faggot.
>>
>>27479897
If more than 1/3 teams employ a certain pokemon or strategy, it mean it breaks the game. What percentage of teams are running smeargle with moody and dark void right now
>>
>>27479852
>what is adaptation you FUCKING MORON
how is a red fire type pokemon supposed to hunt prey if it sticks out like a sore thumb?

>but muh fire keeps me warm
you have to have fuel for that fire you idiot
>>
>>27479860
>In smogon's format there is much more variety
>>
>>27480202
>how is a red fire type pokemon supposed to hunt prey if it sticks out like a sore thumb?
So Alola Vulpix remains a fire type but changes its fur color.

You don't seem to have any remote idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>27479852

You don't understand it though.

You can't just move a species to a completely opposite ecosystem and expect it to thrive.

You're looking at it at such a basic level HURR FIRE BEAT ICE.

You're not taking into account anything else like the fact that the coat of an animal has evolved specifically to suit its habitat. An animal that is traditionally suited to a warm environment will have biological traits that help it thrive in said warm environment. That's why there's a myriad of different foxes and bears and such in the world. A black bear could not just be dropped into the Arctic and be expected to thrive.

Vulpix are fire types but they're just small foxes even in a large pack they wouldn't be enough to literally change the climate of a fucking mountain.

Vulpix would also need a coat that allows them to move through snow unimpeded and without freezing. In its normal habitat it likely has a thinner coat so that it doesn't overheat in hot areas but that becomes a negative trait when you're put in a cold environment.

At best introducing Vulpix would have changed the predator/prey situation but it certainly wouldn't be enough to change the biome of a mountain.
>>
>>27480210
Than VGC 2016? Yeah, there is
>>
>>27480356
See >>27480316
>>
>>27480316
>just changes fur colour
you know how that happens in nature?
over thousands of years and thousands of generations.
and maybe from living in such a cold environment for centuries, they became ice types, like how beartics ancestors probably weren't ice types to begin with either.
pretty sure i know what i'm fucking talking about.
>>
>>27480456
>and maybe from living in such a cold environment for centuries, they became ice types
It disturbs me that you probably genuinely don't know how stupid you sound saying, "Maybe a species just magically changes for no beneficial reason in nature". So they become less suited to thrive in the environment?

No, you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about. In fact every post you make seems to be mounting in retardation upon the last.
>>
>>27480456
What evolutionary advantage does becoming an ice type confer?
None because Ice is a shit type.
>>
>>27480552
>>27480571
then why are every ice type pokemon ice type when it has no biological advantages to them?
if everything in their environment is ALSO ice type, why would they also become ice type?
>>
>>27480412

The biological makeup of a Vulpix that has evolved to survive in the arctic likely wouldn't be conducive to producing and housing fire anymore. Your outside and inside aren't two separate people, anon. To be able to thrive in this environment more than just its color would need to change. I know we've had other fire Pokemon mention a sort of combustion that goes on inside their bodies when they produce fire type moves. That's likely non sustainable living in a blizzard and like I said early would tire the poor thing out having to be emitting some kind of fire 24/7 to stay alive and not freezing.
>>
>>27479198
FOR THE LAST TIME ICE TYPES DO NOT NEED A BUFF

Ice types just have shit stat distribution. Ice typing is once of the best offensive typings in the game. The thing is, is that they keep making shitty defensive Ice Types with bad stat distributions. The only Pokemon that might become viable with a ice type buff is avalugg but even then he's really only bad because of his stat distribution
>>
>>27480571

The digestive tract of a Vulpix most likely couldn't handle the consumption of Pokemon that are usually at sub-zero temperatures.

Not to mention that the fire would melt a lot of them making them inedible.
>>
>>27480673
> Inside Vulpix's body burns a flame that never goes out. During the daytime, when the temperatures rise, this Pokémon releases flames from its mouth to prevent its body from growing too hot.

Vulpix, like pretty much every fire type, naturally produces insane amounts of heat. Such that it even has to relieve itself. The fact is that a Vulpix would not need to change much to survive in cold environments because it's already so well suited. It would naturally thrive. The single most important thing to a mammal's survival in cold environments is body heat, which Vulpix naturally produces at temperatures which far outrange even the coldest temperatures you'll find anywhere on the surface of the planet.

If you combine that with the fact that it's naturally extremely effective in hunting all of the other Pokemon on the mountain since its attacks annihilate them, you've already got a successfully adapted organism.
>>
You guys are also ignoring that environment clearly has more of an affect on typing than we thought.

A fire type might be able to wreck the prey in an ice biome for a little while but it wouldn't be sustainable for the predator nor the environment.

The predator, without the proper biological makeup to survive there, would die off if it didn't adapt. A fire type can't just be an ice type on the outside. So it was either

>have a quick feast as a fire type and then die
>adapt and evolve to the new environment and lose one evolutionary advantage so that you can survive and learn to hunt in a different way

You're being kind of narrow minded. Yes a Pokemon that could survive in the Arctic and still use fire would be beneficial but it also might not be biologically possible. Mother Nature ain't that dumb.
>>
DUDE SLOW DEFENSIVE ICE TYPES LMAO
>>
>>27480885
ALL OF THIS
>>
>>27480885
>A fire type might be able to wreck the prey in an ice biome for a little while but it wouldn't be sustainable for the predator
Why?

>The predator, without the proper biological makeup to survive there, would die off if it didn't adapt.
And Vulpix has the proper biological makeup since it has all environmental pressures covered.

You're not giving any actual reasons for the change in type.
>>
>>27480014
The same amount that are using Lando-T.
>>
>>27479359
>you're a fire type up there you'd fucking be king of the mountain
Because a lot of survival is camouflage and being inconspicuous. You can't sneak up on prey otherwise, and you become an obvious target to Rock-types that might be in the mountains.

You might think you'll be effective if you plow through a forest in a tank, but you're more effective hiding in the brush and tracking your prey's movements.
>>
>>27481050

Good luck catching anything as a bright red exploding fox in the arctic.
>>
>>27481050
Because Pokémon's types have literally always been related to their habitats. Look at Sandshrew or Beartic.
>>
>>27481316
That's fur coat, not type.

Unless you think that a fire type can't be white.
>>
>>27479198
Literally all they have to do is nerf stealth rock or add an alternatively-typed stealth rock equivalent so you have to choose which types you want to RUIN.
>>
>>27481359
>Burn and melt literally everything around you still

So inconspicuous. Great predator.
>>
>>27479359
Did you flunk middleschool?
>>
>>27480749
>Ice type only resists Ice type
>4 weakneses

Defensively yes it needs it, offensively its allright because every single fucking water type gets ice beam
>>
>>27479602
It was a problem because it single-handedly invalidated three types.
>>
>>27481050

Again, you're being way too shortsighted. If it went your way the entire population would be eradicated. Your idea of a dominant fire type in the guise of an ice type would demolish the ecosystem. Which is why I said a quick feast and then die. Because with everything destroyed the prey can no longer live and thrive and die out and so Vulpix no longer has a food source and also dies out.

You're also ONLY thinking of ice types. Ice types are very commonly paired with water typing and water moves. And both ground and rock Pokemon are extremely prevalent in mountainous areas.

And you also assume just because it's weak to fire that it must also be a food source for fire.
>>
File: HNI_0014.jpg (110KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0014.jpg
110KB, 500x333px
>>27479198
>Ice is no longer weak to Rock
>Ice is no longer weak to Fighting
>Ice is no longer weak to Steel

There, I fixed it.

Fuck anyone who tacks nonsensical resistances onto Ice and calls it "fixed." Resisting Grass or Flying (WHY?) will NOT fix Ice.
>>
>>27481328

Do you mean the ground type Sandshrew or the ice type Sandshrew?
>>
>>27481432
Just add floating icicles and Im ok
>>
>>27480749

The STAB bonus for being Ice type isn't worth all those weaknesses. Every Ice type would be several times better off if they were water instead.
>>
>>27482450
BUT not give it to fucking water pokemon
>>
>>27481439
But Vulpix doesn't do that. Nice non-argument.

>>27481815
> Your idea of a dominant fire type in the guise of an ice type would demolish the ecosystem
No, but then if that were the case there's just no Pokemon on the mountain then because Vulpixes are so dominant that they literally hunt everything to extinction on the mountain.

So they wouldn't even have to adapt because they'd be super-predators who eat themselves out of a food supply, by your suggestion.
>>
>>27481946
>Ice is no longer weak to Rock
ESPECIALLY this. Holy shit being weak to Rocks hurts so much.
>>
>>27479602
And nobody gives a shit about those. Bravest Bird was the one that mattered, and Bruxish was built to stop it.
>>
>>27479359
Fire melts snow and ice. Fire hates water. Drop a fire type into snowy mountains, and it risks drowning.
>>
>>27479359
Then why isn't the Ice Cave of every gen infested with fire types?
>>
>>27479393
>Ice now resists Ground, Flying, and Dragon. How does this change the meta?

when
>>
>>27481946
why kinda save articuno
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.