[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is wrong with Samurott's design? No, I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: samurott.jpg (36KB, 300x285px) Image search: [Google]
samurott.jpg
36KB, 300x285px
What the fuck is wrong with Samurott's design?

No, I'm serious. What's so bad about it? I constantly see Samurott labeled as the "worst starter design of all time". Like, it isn't even bad. It's honestly mediocre at worst. I'm not comparing it to Dewott because it's stupid to judge a design based on anything but its own merits. Even then I don't even like Dewott that much.

Are Dewottfags really just this obnoxious?
>>
i don't think it's that bad either its anatomy is just kind of awkward and impractical for what it's supposed to be
>>
>>27410302
I like Dewott and samurott
>>
The Oshawott line is my overall favorite line and I love and have merchandise of all 3 stages and I wish my bros weren't attacked every time I come to /vp/
>>
>>27410302
>its stupid to judge a design based on anything but its own merits
Fucking finally.

The design is anatomicaly wrong, since its samurai theme is hindered by the fact it is pretty much incapacitated if it uses its swords, and I think the design is way too masculine for the gender neutral aspect starter designs generaly go for. Its still my favourite water starter to date, but it has its flaws.
>>
>>27410302
>What the fuck is wrong with Samurott's design?

It's based on a sword fighter, yet is a quadruped, which completely clashes and doesn't work at all.

Looks like a sea lion even though the rest of the line is clearly based on otters and it just changes because Sugimori literally ran out of ideas.

>because it's stupid to judge a design based on anything but its own merits.

No. At the end of the day, it's still an evolution for Dewott. It has to look like one. If it doesn't work well as an evolution, it's a flawed design. The same way turning Charmander into a bear would be a flawed design.
>>
>>27410302
First, isolating a pokemon from the rest of its line is not a good idea. it helps to give context to a pokemon's overall design. Oshawott and Dewott both have a warrior motif to them, a motif that is not discarded upon evolution. Physical appearance aside, that framing and context are very much important.

It looks like a clumsy pokemon on land. Samurott looks like it lurches round like a seal or walrus, which distances it from being a skilled warrior. It looks like it lacks the dexterity to use one of those blades and move about t all, and it looks like it lacks the speed to properly make use of the horn.

Perhaps it is autistic, but there is also the matter of its stats. Samurott looks like it is a powerful, durable physical attacker. It has a giant horn and blades, as well as armor and a helmet. Yet Samurott's stats are instead rather boringly average. Samurott's stats look like they were thrown on as an afterthought.

If Samurott were white, and evolved from Dewgong, I doubt anyone would care as much. But Samurott spoils the direction Oshawott and Dewott were going. If it weren't for it's pre-evos, you wouldn't even think to look for the warrior motif. But you do look for the warrior motif, and you see it clumsily stapled to an otherwise fine design. It doesn't help that being a quadruped, the shell blades that defined the line are basically an accessory now, playing second banana to the horn from bum-fuck nowhere.

But fuck it. I'm imaginary. Believe what you gotta believe.
>>
>>27410302
The way he uses his front plating for swords is weird as fuck
>>
>>27410302
It's an okay-tier design that makes no logical sense both conceptually (a quadrupedal samurai) and evolutionarily (why would dewott evolve into something that seems entirely more impractical.) Being monotype was the kiss of death that sealed its fate.

On its own, it's not terrible, but it's also not great. But you're pretty retarded if you don't understand how being a disappointing final evolution does it no favors, since that's generally the most important member of an evolutionary family.

Instead of trying to do a weird swerve with the direction Oshawott's line was progressing into, what they should have done is used the design that became Samurott as what would eventually become Keldeo instead, altering it a bit as necessary.
>>
>>27410302

It doesn't properly convey its concept and it is literally incapable of swordfighting properly on land, which is where all battles effectively take place because there aren't separate animations for Pokemon that are swimming. Yes, the idea of a "mounted samurai themed" Pokemon is interesting, in theory, but the execution just flat out does not work at all.
>>
>>27410437
>Fuck it, I'm imaginary
Anon, everything was very well versed and insightful, did you get high at the last second?
>>
File: 1427250581351.jpg (5KB, 190x153px) Image search: [Google]
1427250581351.jpg
5KB, 190x153px
>>27410302
Look at its fucking limbs. Are they flippers? Hooves? Look at its long fucking neck and mermaid tail sticking awkwardly out of its butthole. What the fuck is good about this design again?

>inb4 you mention what it's based on
Being based on something doesn't make it good. It also has to be good.
>>
File: sif-the-great-grey-wolf-large.jpg (33KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
sif-the-great-grey-wolf-large.jpg
33KB, 600x328px
>>27410383
I think it would get a lot less hate if they just did this.
>>
File: 011.jpg (1MB, 1600x2311px) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
1MB, 1600x2311px
>>27410476
It actually would be pretty cool if Samurott held the sword like that, or hell, just on its back or something.
>>
>>27410302
Ungly as sin, bot in four legs and standing in two
And I did hate a pokemon as much as I hate jynx until this thing was revealed, not even magmortar
>>
the main problem i have with it is that it's on four legs but other people have gone into more detail
>>
Whatever, I Dewott I Want
>>
>>27410513
Audino about that, there are rules you know...
>>
How the hell is it supposed to sword fight with the sword mounted on its forehead ? Have fun with that whip lash
>>
>Biped Otter into quadruped sea lion
>Helmet Shell look impractical because it hangs so far off the back
>Should have been a Water/Fighting type to fit with the warrior/swordsman motif but Game Freak decided it wanted a third Fire/Fighting type starter
>Learn less Sword/Cutting moves than Gallade when it is supposed to be a Samurai
>Signature Move uses the lowest of its attacking stats
>Bulky Mixed attacker with shit move pool and low Speed
>Essentially a worse Poliwrath
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.