[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the price of a single booster pack in 1999? Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: blastoiseblackstarpack.jpg (1MB, 1000x1667px) Image search: [Google]
blastoiseblackstarpack.jpg
1MB, 1000x1667px
What was the price of a single booster pack in 1999? Does anyone remember?
>>
£2.50
>>
File: Pokémon GO_2016-07-24-18-01-04.png (666KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon GO_2016-07-24-18-01-04.png
666KB, 1440x2560px
>>27357104
>>
>>27357128
this is what I remember as well, 2 for 5 usd out the door as a sale, basically the shop would just eat the tax
>>
>>27357104
Same price booster packs are now.
>>
>>27357104
that feel when ripping these open, that anticipation

that feel when mewtwo
>>
>>27357179
Mewtwo was my first

that feel when their were infinite pokemon
>>
I remember paying like $2.99 in late 90s/early 2000s.
>>
>>27357128

Yup, £2.50

I "lost" them all one day, still convinced my mum purposely threw them out.
>>
Was Charizard legit short printed causing it's rarity, or was it just the hype around the mon creating its asinine value?
>>
>>27357217

I feel you, dude.

Apparently mine are "in the attic", but what if they aren't?! I need closure.
>>
25 kronor here in sweden
>>
Reminder that you pay more for fewer cards now

Also, $3.49 in the US.
>>
>>27357104
back in my hometown, there was a price scalping card shop that charged $7 bucks a pack before Pokemon started getting into big stores like Walmart
>>
File: tree fiddy.jpg (187KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
tree fiddy.jpg
187KB, 720x405px
>>27357793
So it was about tree fiddy?
>>
>>27357104
$3.29 in the U.S. for a booster pack.
>>
>>27357793
Quantity of cards is irrelevant. Just like Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh and more or less every TCG out there, the commons are always essentially worthless space-hoggers. Even the good ones can be had for like 5-25 cents through any shop.
>>
>>27357217
I had a bunch of 1st edition shadowless pack fresh in my book. I went to juvy for a year when i was 13 came home and theyr all gone. Mom sold em all at a yard sale for $5. Tfw i could have sold them for over $500 on ebay. Tfw i never grew out of it and want them back.
>>
about $3.50. a fiver would get you a pack and a warm pretzel
>>
>>27357856
Source:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68329&p=irol-newsArticlePR_pf&ID=58332&highlight=

Just did a Google archive search in the year 1999 for "Pokemon booster pack price", brought me to this press release:

>Wizards of the Coast is offering these new items in time for the holidays:
Pokemon Trading Card Game: Fossil Expansion Set - With the release of the highly anticipated Fossil(TM)expansion for the Pokemon trading card game, fans will now be able to catch all 150 Pokemon as official trading card game cards. Fossil will introduce 47 new cards, as well as holographic versions of the 15 rare cards. Having this larger variety of cards will enable players to build more challenging decks and develop more advanced strategies. New Pokemon, such as No.142 Aerodactyl(TM), No.149 Dragonite(TM)and No.106 Hitmonlee(TM), can be found in 11-card booster packs (approximate retail price - $3.29) and in the 60-card preconstructed theme decks "Bodyguard" and "Lock Down" (approximate retail price - $9.99 each).
>>
>>27357865

That's what you get for being worthless jail trash mate :^)
>>
>>27357217
A family friends child ended the relationship between by parents by stealing mine in 1999. I had a charizard
>>
>>27357873
>>27357889
Bout tree fiddy
>>
>>27357104
Originally about $1 or $1.50 depending on the store since most stores didn't anticipate sales for cards being much. I remember only getting a few packs at this time because instantly people went apeshit and the had to put them behind the counters, and you were only allowed 3 packs per person. Eventually most stores raised them to about $2.50 until Base Set 2 came out as a "cheaper alternative" for $2. Somewhere around gen 2 we hit $3 packs, and gen 3 gave us $3.30. Now it's closer to $4 each, especially at card shops.
>>
If I didn't shop lift them most of the time, I would have been able to tell ya'
>>
>>27357232
it actually wasn't that rare or expensive, believe it or not. the top price was only fetched for the first edition, which was like 5x the price of the normal one.

I'm not sure who decided this at the time, I just remember owning a priceguide book that claimed the price for a first edition was something around $120.

I got mine from a kid down the street for $10 (just the normal one).
>>
File: FFE.jpg (876KB, 2048x1530px) Image search: [Google]
FFE.jpg
876KB, 2048x1530px
>>27357217
I feel you, fampai

My mom threw a bunch of Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards, a full collection of Pokemon tazos from Bulbasaur to Celebi, like 3 full sticker albums(Pokemon, Digimon, Card Captors Sakura) and a bunch of other stuff not anime related.

I was kinda the collector as a child, spent lots of time trading shit at school with other kids.
>>
>>27357104
>Cousin gave me a Machop to start the trend
>Went to CVS, bought my first booster
>MOTHERUFCKIN DRAGONAIR HOLOFOIL
>Went to Toys R Us a week later and bought a starter deck with Machoke(still have it somewhere still in its plastic)
>Soon after dad would bring me home a pack after work everyday up until after the Rocket packs

I wish it was those days again...
>>
>>27357859
>Quantity of cards is irrelevant.

Oh fuck right off, dumbass. Of course it fucking matters, because less cards = more packs and singles I'll have to buy in the future to complete a set.
>>
>>27359256

Just buy singles then you fucking tard, its always cheaper to do that anyway.

Packs are for a gamble or fun, doing it to collecting is idiotic and a waste of money
>>
>>27359431

Buying singles right off the bat is a waste. You spend more that way. You start off with packs, then move onto singles once you start getting 30% doubles.
>>
>>27359431
>>27359447

Especially since you can sell and trade your doubles, which saves you a ton of money at the start of any new set.
>>
>>27359447

>Buying the common singles

Just go to a gamestore, I've had guys litterally give me half sealed collection because it was commons after a event
>>
>>27357248
I got told this for years. Went up there and found a handful of cards, no folder in sight. I went to fucking car boot sales at 6 in the morning to buy from that one guy selling mint condition singles, I know that fucking folder was complete, where are they?
Same for my Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I had like three bags full, and one had a couple of complete folders. Where is my Blue Eyes Ultimate? Why the fuck do I still have a giant fucking Hopper from A Bug's Life that opens up with a bunch of the other characters inside, but none of my cards? Fuck.
>>
>>27357217

Everyone's mom threw away their cards, and it makes no fucking sense to me.
>>
>>27359691
>>27359726
>>27357217

Freud was right.

>Moms get jealous of their sons first love.
>>
>>27359691
The horror of never knowing what rares were contained in that binder.
>>
>>27359802
The handful I found consisted of some alright stuff, like a first edition shining Gyarados, but being sat at the bottom of a box in my attic left it in pretty poor condition. But that folder had a lot of shit I looked after like my life depended on it. Our attic is a complete mess though, so even though I searched multiple times I still hold on to some hope that it's up there.
>>
>>27360019
Dude that would not do for me. All or nothing. The hope will not sustain me. If I find that binder I'm coming straight back here to share.

Sorry for your loss.
>>
>>27357104
2 euros for me.
>>
>>27360623
where u at
>>
About $3.29 at like Target/K-Mart...I grew up in a town of less than 500 people up in Northern Minnesota and I lived a 30 minute drive from anything but the bowling alley in town sold them behind the bar...5 bucks a pack. Was nice when I could go into the towns with the Target/K-Mart and shit.
>>
>>27357893
Story time
>>
>>27360795
pretty sure i was the child. thats how i ended up having two charizards
>>
File: whoi.jpg (83KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
whoi.jpg
83KB, 500x687px
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Pokemon was huge here even before the media took notice.

The first pack was from a Japanese grocery store. It was the only place I could find after talking with friends. I paid seven dollars in singles.

After that, prices went insane. There was a huge demand. My local comic shop was selling them for 12 dollars. They also had single cards for sale.

Prices started to drop once big box retailers started carrying them. After that, I think the most I paid was 8 bucks for a Japanese Rocket set booster. I was the first kid in school with Rocket cards. Everybody else had Japanese Jungle and Fossil.

There was another shitstorm when the Jungle set came out. The comic and card shops would only sell people two packs at a time.

The only other crazy things that happened after that were the Southern Islands cards and the Gashapon 4-card-sheets showing up in random places.

It was a crazy and cool time to be alive.
>>
I still find it strange how Japanese cards were so stupidly popular in america.

Hell, I'm beginning to suspect that the Japanese equivalent of Gym Heroes/Gym Challenge is more common here than the fucking english cards.
>>
>>27361601
It was the Beanie Baby-era of wild speculation on toys and games. Comic books happened first then every other thing jumped on that "gunna be worth hundreds in a few years" hype train.

My local shop had one of the Japanese ancient Mew cards on sale for 150 USD. Shame it would become a movie giveaway in a few years.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.