[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else feel like Sinnoh was an end of an era? Gens 1-4 feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: sinnoh.png (412KB, 1115x717px) Image search: [Google]
sinnoh.png
412KB, 1115x717px
Anyone else feel like Sinnoh was an end of an era? Gens 1-4 feel radically different than everything after it. Why is that?
>>
Because 3D and GF tried hard to make Unova feel like a rebirth.
>>
>>27348374
https://youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>27348374
alomomola
>>
>>27348363
Because they went back to route 1 in Gen 5

>>27348374
Alomomolaposter is right
>>
>Gen 1 feels radically different than everything after it.
>Gens 1 and 2 feel radically different than everything after it.
>Gens 1-3 feel radically different than everything after it

Soon people will have nostalgia for Sun & Moon.
>>
>>27348363
Gen 4 had the best map by far. So much variety and memorable experiences with it
>>
Gen 4 has more in common with 5 and 6 than anything before it.
>>
>>27348363
I reject the notion that Unova felt "radically different" than the previous regions. I ALSO reject the notion that gens 1, 2, 3, and 4 all felt "similar" in any way that is less superfluous than "it's a 2D Pokemon region" — Gen 5 wasn't even fully 3D.
>>
>>27348363
I do agree.
Gen 5 is when the shitshow started, however I do like gen 6 cause it gave us 3d models
>>
>>27348374
Is it because they added Alomamola in Gen 5?
>>
>>27348385
Gen 5 was like his first game calm yourself
>>
>>27348363
after gen 4 the main games no longer take place in "Japan."

It seems the entire Pokemon franchise went through a rebranding of sort.

Gen 1 and 2 are the only games that are connected and whole, anyway.
>>
I think Gen 3 was the last game that still felt 'right'. Everything after that seemed so uninspiring and soulless.
It's probably a result of the economy.
>>
>>27348363
Because Unova was terrible
>>
>>27348363
>gen 4 was 9 years ago.
>>
>>27348761
I think gen III was the peak of visually cohesiveness. Gen IV is already looking a bit dated with what 3D it had in there. Emerald will always look wonderful.
>>
>>27348374
I really liked gen 5 because when I was young they added alomomola.
>>
>>27348519
>Gen 4 had the best map by far. So much variety
Kanto had: cycling road, a forest, sea routes, abandoned buildings, a bridge (a shitty one), caves, a graveyard, a long coastal wharf, safari zone, frozen island cave, an ocean liner/dock, etc.

Johto had: a park, an abandoned building, caves, sea routes, a frozen cave, a mountain you could climb, ruins, a train station, a forest, safari zone (eventually), a lake, a speedboat/dock, etc.

Hoenn had: a forest, safari zone, sea routes, underwater routes, a volcano, caves, a somewhat realistic cave in Meteor Falls, a graveyard mountain, a desert, volcanic ash route, a treehouse town, a floating town, a space center, a dock, a sunken ship/oil rig, rapids, a cycling road, etc.

Shinnoh had: a forest, an abandoned building, a windmill, an ironworks, a volcano, caves, a climbable mountain, snowbound town and routes, an icebreaker boat, a graveyard, a library, a foggy route, an underground, qa cycling road, a dock/speedboat, three lakes, ruins, a park, another dimension (Platinum), a sea route (like one), a swamp, a safari zone, a "solar panel" town, a resort, etc.

Unova had: two forests, a slew of docks and boats, a library, a giant metropolis, an oil refinery, a movie studio, a desert, an amusement park town, sports arenas, five unique and huge bridges, caves, Chargestone Cave, ruins, a flying airship, sea rotes, underwater ruins, a frozen crater, a foggy route, a resort, two airports, car highways, an ocean liner, a volcanic cave, abandoned buildings, a graveyard, an underwater tunnel, a stilt town, a sewer, a subway, a train station town, N's castle, a swamp, almost a real mountain, etc.

Kalos had: le giant metropolis, le swamp, le desert, le factory, les caves, les docks, les train stations, les forests, le mirror cave, le abandoned hotel, le snowbound town and routes, le train station town, le resort, le stonehenge, le palace, le giant mushroom town, etc.
>>
File: HNI_0024.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0024.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
>>27348620
>Gen 5 is when the shitshow started
Get a load of this >>27349350

When you break a region down by major, unique features, you will see that the regions began to get more varied and complex by Hoenn, culminating in Unova having the greatest number of visually unique locales. Kalos is a huge drop off fron Unova. Shinnoh is more diverse than anything that isn't Unova, though.
>>
>>27349350
I don't get what the point of adding "le" in front of all the Kalos shit is. Sure its way less than what Unova had but you word its like these are all formulaic things. I don't thnk the other regions really had Stonehenge or a giant mushroom town.
>>
Yeah, I get that. I think it's mostly due to the maps, though; there's barely any branching paths anymore and routes feel like they're only getting smaller and smaller to funnel the player through the game.
>>
>>27349659
kalos is pokéfrance. "le" and "les" are french. it's a joke.
>>
>>27349600
If you also think about it in terms of the technological limits of each gen, you'll see that we're getting more variety as a result. Clearly, 3rd gen had a fuckton of space for maps. Secret Bases were probably a feature added once the region was designed. Gamefreak realized they had more space for maps and shit, and gave us Secret Bases as a result.
>>
>>27349694
BW1, Kalos, and even Hoenn were pretty linear, yeah. Didn't help Hoenn's case by remaking gen 3 right after putting out Kalos; it really highlighted how linear Hoenn is. The only branching area is at the end, when you start exploring the ocean.

BW2 Unova added in shittons of inroads and shortcuts. Even if you still had to do everything in a specific order, at least there was a lot of variety in which route you could take.
>>
File: 1469253605058.png (37KB, 222x183px) Image search: [Google]
1469253605058.png
37KB, 222x183px
>>27349350
>>
>>27349659
>le
it's because Kalos is almost literally France

>>27348761
there's something about Gen 4's dialogue that feels really fucking wrong, in a way that RPG dialogue usually isn't
and Gen 5 and 6 make most everyone sound so fucking "friendly" and say shit that's clearly, easily understood, but in a way that no English speaker would actually say
I'm convinced that Plasma is literally staffed by people with mental problems, absolutely none of the grunts spoke right -- they spoke like they were medically retarded. High functioning, but still, literally retarded.

and in terms of "would anyone actually speak like this", Gen 2 wins out -- Gen 1's got a small handful of issues, and Gen 3's TV is one example where you'd wonder, "who the fuck talks like this", but most in-game speech is pretty okay
>>
>>27349758
Yes, better technology has (more often than not) resulted in us getting more impressive and unique locations. It's also resulted in many location "types" becoming better (at times), such as gen 4's actual mountains that could be climbed from the outside, versus calling a cave a "mountain."
>>
File: 450.png (8KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
450.png
8KB, 120x120px
>>27348363
The only thing that feels drastically different is the pokemon coloring and the 3d models.

Dull coloring, shitty models and animations killed the liveness that gen 5 had and that gen 4 was working on, some pokemon feel completely different.

It feels like a bootleg at times, trying to replicate past success.
>>
>>27349911
Yeah, Pokemon dialogue and text has more often than not been really poorly written. A ton of it is uncanny, nonsensical, or just plain stupid.

Gen 1 was no exception, but since it was the first one and the hardware was so limited AND the software was so poorly optimised, it's easy to give it a pass. Pokemon RBY is pretty par for the course, if we compare it to NES games...

I think the dialogue and text in gen 4 is actually the best so far, even if the Galactic grunts are literally retarded.
>>
>>27349659
le being derogatory by default is something you picked up from reddit, faggot. It's le because it's french. Go to newgrounds and watch end of the world to educate yourself on french and fucking kangaroos.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.