[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon games need to stop basing their gyms on typing, and should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

Pokemon games need to stop basing their gyms on typing, and should be centered around a particular theme or strategy instead, like Stall gyms or gyms with Cave-based pokemon.
>>
There's a reason why you don't work at gamefreak.
>>
>>27332673
>Pokémon Insurgence
Yeah, no.
>>
>>27332673
The closest you are going to get with that mindset is Norman's gym.
>>
>>27332673
>Stall gym
Now I want a game with 8 stall gym just to give it to the fags who play stall teams so they can realise how unfunny it's to play against them
>>
File: 1466779572313.jpg (14KB, 310x464px) Image search: [Google]
1466779572313.jpg
14KB, 310x464px
>>27332673
>Stall gyms
>>
>Implying many don't mix types.
E4 Bruno and Koga's Gym come to mind.
>>
>>27332728
>>27332740
The Maison is literally cluttered with halfassed stall teams already.
>>
>>27332742
Oh, and if that point of your idea is to make Gyms harder OP, then certain story characters should just get buffs like multiple Mega Evolutions.
>>
>>27332673
>Stall
>>
>>27332673
Definitely not the gyms. Gyms are a fantastic way to introduce new players to the Pokemon types.

I'd be interested to see how an idea like this would go for the Elite 4, though.
e.g.:
1) Speed-centered, priority moves, switches a lot
2) Stall-centered, bulky.
3) Hyper offensive.
4) Weather user.
>>
>>27332817
>2) Stall-centered, bulky.
Even though I LOVE to waste people's time on showdown with my stall teams, I wouldn't want to make kids go through it while playing the game.
It would turn off a lot of newcomers.
>>
>in game expert trainers are based around a single type
>the player character is destined to defeat them anyway, usually using a super effective type advantage pokemon
>story is about how the player character's super special snowflake bond with pokemon overcomes great odds

why even do type gyms at this point
>>
I like themes and junk. Make them have different strategies and have gyms seem fun. Like rotation battles, another gym having held items used to their advantage, etc.
>>
This is part of why I liked Flint's Diamond and Pearl team more than his Platinum team

He had a fire theme, sure, but he also had shit like a Steelix and a Drifblim
>>
I always wished kogas gym had wild zubat encounters, to slowly poison and whittle you down while having to face trainers, and being stuck in a maze. Truly bliss.
>>
HGSS gym leaders actually had pretty decent strategies. Bugsy would get two free U-Turns on you unless you had Cyndaquil out, in which case he would just fuck your shit up with Focus Energy Technician Quick Attack, Chuck used Double Team and Hypnosis to get Focus Punch off safely, and of course there's Whitney's loveflinch Miltank.
>>
>>27333193
I think that's why HGSS is my favorite still.
>>
>>27332992
1. First gym uses Rock and Grass types, 2 of each, That way if you chose Fire you get to crush his Grass guys with your starter and if you chose the other two you can crush his Rock types with your starter. His theme is items. 2 of his guys use gems and 2 of his guys hold Sitrus Berries. See, rock for gems, grass for berries?

2. Second gym's theme is Priority. He uses pokemon with moves like Bullet Punch or Quick Attack and pokemon with abilities like Gale wings or Prankster. He likes Flying, Fighting, and Dark types.

3. Third Gym's theme is Status, so he has a mixture Electric, Grass, Fire, and Poison types. They all know a status move of some kind, be it Toxic, Will-o-wisp, Thunder wave, Sleep Powder, etc. Some even have moves that can inflict Confusion or Attract.

4. Fourth gym's theme is switching. He specializes in Electric and Bug type and all of them know either Volt switch or U-Turn. Some might also know Roar or Circle throw or whatever. Some might even hold Eject Button or Red Card for extra chaos.

More in next post.
>>
>>27333441
5. Fifth gym's theme is Recovering Health. All his pokemon have a recovery move and hold either Leftovers or Sitrus Berry. Rest and Sleep Talk are staples of his mons. He likes normal types in the vein of Snorlax or Blissey, but isn't afraid to throw a bulky Water or Psychic on his team.

6. Sixth gym's theme is Weather. It has two leaders, one who likes Rain and one who likes Sun. You only have to fight one to get the badge, but you only get the Rain Dance and Sunny Day TM's if you fight both. Sun guy uses fire and Grass types, Rain guy uses Water, Flying, and electric types.

7. Seventh gym's theme is Stat Changes. He uses Dragon, Fighting, and Normal types with moves like Dragon Dance, Power-Up-Punch, Nasty Plot, but he also has stuff with Intimidate, Charm, Screech, and even Minimize for maximum cheapness.

8th gym's theme is Life and Death. The gym leader uses Fairy and ghost types. All the ghosts know destiny Bond and he has 3(!) Max Revives that he will use. Since his fairies have a lot of bulk you can milk him for experience points, potentially.

What do you guys think? Would you play a game with gyms like this?
>>
>>27333117
Agreed.
Shit, they could do it like the anime and have a bunch of Voltorbs that blow up on their first turn, too. Throw in a couple of legit item balls to give you some incentive to activate them, and you've got some serious ninja tricks.
>>
>>27332673
That could be fun as post-game content
>>
>>27333538
>Beat the Elite 4 and become Champion.
>As Champion you tell the Gym Leaders to diversify their teams.
>Go to their gyms to have rematch them, with unique play styles to go against.
>>
File: 1452545739852.png (149KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1452545739852.png
149KB, 250x250px
>>27332673
>Stall gyms
Can't fucking wait
>>
>>27333603
Gotta be honest, it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than rematches where they're just higher-levelled.

And they could still (more or less) stick to their type, with some thematically similar mons just to mix it up a bit. Say, a Water leader with Malamar, or a Fairy leader with Florges.
>>
>>27333676
Isn't Florges pure fairy tho
>>
>>27333684
Shit, I meant to say Grass.
>>
>>27333441
>>27333445
Ignoring the fact that this would make the game too hard for the intended audience
>1
I like it. Teaches newcomers not to use just their starter
>2
Sounds kinda boring? I don't think prioroty moves are enough to make a gym interesting
>3
It's fine but I think it would be better as a later gym, to make sure the player already has 5.6 pokemon when facing it.
>4
It's cool. It would make entry hazards useful for once in the single player.
>5
NO
>6
I kinda like it but I think it would be cooler with 4 leaders each one using a different weather condition (and no other trainers to balance it out)
>7
I like it, forces he player to adapt, or just capture a pokemon with Unaware
>8
>All the ghosts know destiny Bond
>he has 3(!) Max Revives
Fuck no. Maybe as a postgame challenge but not as a gym.
>>
>>27333445
>>27333441
this
>>
Definite agree. "Attack with its weakness" is how every Pokemon encounter in the game goes - gyms should go beyond that and push players towards changing up their approach and giving some appreciation of more complex setups (and how to beat them). The gym guide could help by hinting at useful moves or techniques to beat them, like the location of a Sandstorm TM for a weather gym or a nearby route with a Pokemon that can easily learn to Haze for a Baton Pass gym. It doesn't just make the fights more interesting, it would turn players on to moves and strategies they might never have tried simply because the game never demonstrates or requires them.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.