[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do people enjoy this shit series? I can understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: pokemon logo.png (209KB, 2000x736px)
pokemon logo.png
209KB, 2000x736px
How the fuck do people enjoy this shit series? I can understand the appeal of the concept but the execution is just terrible, its just one of the clunkiest RPGs i've played and boi I have played several RPGs.

The game is just slow as all shit, everything, from text speed to animations, moves at an infuriatingly slow speed. I'm actually playing it on emulator so its a bit more bearable because I got the speed button (and its still slow) but I cant imagine how the fuck would somebody enjoy this on a gameboy/ds where every battle takes like 1 minute based on animations alone.

The fight begins, you need to have the fucking animation of your trainer throwing the pokemon, then every attack "animation" which only features the still image of the pokemon going up and down and then the damage animation.

Thats not counting the ridiculous amount of hoops you need to jump through to get menial tasks done. Want to switch pokemon? Well you gotta open a new menu, select the pokemon, confirm it and then watch the trainer go through the whole "summoning" animation again. Want to use a simple potion, well boy, just open the item menu, search through the bags of your backpack, find it, select it, confirm it, select a pokemon and confirm it. 20 fucking seconds gone just to use a potion.

Leveling up your pokemons is also tedious as shit, its simply not time effective to level up more than one at the same time, if you switch them mid battle (which again takes a fuckload of time) the xp will be split in the end, making for menial xp gains. This would be fine if the game was completely ok with you just using one pokemon, but you NEED to have several of them because of the dumb counters that basically render some pokemons useless against others

Pokemons cant learn more than 4 moves at once, and when you get a new one, you have to PERMANENTLY OVERWRITE one of the current moves to make room for the new one

clunky ass game
>>
Also status effects are terribly handled in game. Most of them have like a 90% chance to apply on first hit, you got wild pokemon with 2 or more disabling attacks, like paras who has an attack that causes paralysis, so he casts paralysis on one of your pokemons and you switch it of course because paralysis means your pokemon cant fucking do shit and when you bring in a new one PARAS AGAIN CASTS PARALYSIS IMMEDIATLY and so forth until ALL of your pokemons are paralyzed.

This wouldnt be THAT bad if the status lasted until the battle ended, but no, the status will endure unless you use the specific healing item OR visit a store. And using healing items isnt viable until late game because theyre extremely rare and expensive.

Most status are simply annoying as shit and a lot of pokemons can inflict an annoying combination, like paralysis+tangle so you cant switch your pokemon but he also has a 95% to miss ANY move
>>
File: IMG_20160717_235014.jpg (15KB, 215x213px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160717_235014.jpg
15KB, 215x213px
>>
Post that pic with leavanny and donut if ya know wat am saiyin
>>
File: 1436668838608.png (406KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1436668838608.png
406KB, 500x375px
Post cringe.
>>
File: pepe helium.png (107KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
pepe helium.png
107KB, 800x388px
why the fuck do you guys shitpost so much?

Cant you fucking take a valid criticism seriously?

Do you fuckers think I wanted to post this shit in this shit board? I didnt, I tried to post it at /v/ but the mods kept deleting the thread despite being 100% valid under the excuse of "POKEMON HAS A BOARD SO ALL POKEMON DISCUSSION MUST GO THERE" despite the fucking fact that every day we get like 5 gigantic pokemon go threads and also general pokemon games threads. They're only doing it because they know its valid criticism and they cant take it so they force me to post in this shitposting board
>>
>>27286146
>why the fuck do you guys shitpost so much
Most of this board is underage, whaddaya expect buddy?
>>
Op is a fag
>>
Of course nobody cares about that junk. I guarantee you everyone plays pokemon for reasons other than any of that.
>>
Easy, it's fun
>>
Okay, shitposting aside, this is a well written argument.
What you consider flaws, I considered a well made game.
I really don't have the energy to give a full argument to why your wrong (mostly because I cant) but can we just keep it by saying one man's trash is another man's treasure?
>>
>>27286012
>>27286066
>having trouble making it through a children's game

Git gud scrub
>>
>>27286012
While the games have some flaws, it's still pretty fun. Also you can increase text speed and disable animations.
>>
>>27286012
Bait.
>>
>>27286146
>age old copypasta is valid criticism
2/10 made me reply
>>
>>27286012
It's cool and fun.
>>
>>27286241

Even at max speed it feels slow as fuck. Also removing animations just makes it ultra bland.

>>27286266

I literally wrote this yesterday
>>
>>27286304
I have to give two pieces of advice for you

Learn how to play the game and you can avoid status effects with abilities or certain pokemon

You should also consider either trying a more fast paced game OR becoming more patient

I'm not forcing you to do any of this, so if you don't want to then you don't have to
>>
>>27286146
>shitposting
>on 4chan
Grow up, man.
>>
>>27286012
The lack of speed argument has some validity to it; that said, ultimately Pokemon has few problems that other RPGs don't in that regard.

>Open menus to switch party members
This is quite common in turn-based RPGs in general.
>Fight animation of sending out a 'mon
This is one of the areas that can really be improved. Bringing back the "lead 'mon follows you" feature from Yellow and HG/SS would be a great way to fix that.
>Switching animation
This is primarily due to the fact that you can have only one party member active at a time. Again, still a concern for RPGs that allow switching between main line and reserves.
>Attack animation
You can turn this part off.
>20 seconds to use a potion
Once more, most turn-based RPGs have this problem.
>Grinding is tedious
Really, you're not even trying on this one.
>4 move slot syndrome
This is one of the parts of the game that tries to keep things in any sort of balance at all. YMMV on how effective that is.
>Status conditions
An RNG that is biased on inflicting conditions when such moves hit but randomly selecting moves in general.
>Status doesn't wear off, healing is expensive
Most level-appropriate healing is an expense of concern but not of crisis, and there are always Centers that do it for free.

TL;DR: It's not that this criticism isn't valid as far as it goes, but I'm not sure how one goes about solving it or even if it's that big a problem.

>>27286304
OK, now you're just getting silly.
>Animations make it slow as fuck!
>Removing them makes it dull as fuck!
We're not running this thing on a top-of-the-line gaming PC, or even a Wii U. There are compromises that have to be made here.
>>
>>27286407

Pokemon is the only turn based franchise I know that lets you switch your "party members" mid battle...well that and FFX, and in FFX it takes less than 5 seconds between switching and using the character who just came up
>>
>>27286557
I haven't played FFX, so I didn't know that. It's good to know so that next time I can be more accurate in my posting.
>>
File: 1434742476732.jpg (25KB, 502x391px) Image search: [Google]
1434742476732.jpg
25KB, 502x391px
>>27286066
>Oh no, I got paralyzed, better take up a turn switching to a new pokemon.
>Oh no, got paralyzed again! Better switch again.
>Oh no, got paralyzed again! Better switch again.
>Oh no, everything's paralyzed! I wonder what went wrong?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.