[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the biggest leap in the franchise technologically? In

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (110KB, 470x235px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 470x235px
What was the biggest leap in the franchise technologically? In terms of mechanics, graphics, presentation, etc.

Was it:
>Gen I to II
>Gen II to III
>Gen III to IV
>Gen IV to V
>Gen V to IV
>>
I'd say from I to II or V to VI
>>
>>27277949
2 to 3
>>
I to II
>>
>>27278017
>>27278028
Gen II laid the stepping stones for where the franchise is now, but apart from that and all of the features it introduced it wasn't really that big of a leap.

>>27278025
I was thinking this. I'd also say III to IV but the only gigantic leap there was graphically.
>>
>>27278059
>it really wasn't that big of a leap
retard
>>
>>27278076
>this post
retard
>>
>>27278059
I think we can all agree though that IV to V was by far the smallest goddamn leap. It actually kind of turned me off from Gen V at first, felt like nothing changed.
>>
>>27278091
Definitely. No fundamental changes, just new items, Pokémon and two battle formats that barely got exposure.
>>
>>27278076
Explain your reasoning then fag
>>
II to III, no question.
>>
>>27277949
>Gen III to IV
Ability to trade and battle with someone from other country is a pretty big change. Also, 2 screens, physical/special split etc.
>>
I definitely wanna say 5 to 6 because of the leap to 3D (also the addition of megas) 6 and 7 have the same battle system but the battle background and the overworld are way better, who knows Gen 7 may actually be a huge leap, we'll just have to wait and see.
>>
>>27278149
I got to sway you swayed me. 2 screens is such a big fucking change mechanically and it's been a mainstay in the series for 4 fucking gens now with no end in sight. And of course the whole wi-fi thing.
>>
>>27277949

It's hard to tell

You can't ignore 3's introduction to abilities

And you especially can't ignore Gen 4 finally doing the physical specia split and arguably having the best a balanced meta game, where dragons were the only real problem instead of multiple problems like currently
>>
>>27278160
7 will be to 6 as 5 was to 4. Just flashy improvements to everything with nothing new added besides superfluous ways to battle.
>>
>>27277949
>mechanics
Gen II. It redefined the type chart from the weird one from the first gen, and pretty much set the standard for how everything would interact mechanically.

>graphically
Gen VI, no question. Brought things into 3D on handhelds (finally), and replaced those shitty pixelated Gen V animations with smooth ones on future-proofed models.
>>
>>27277949
Easily 5 to 6. 1 to 2 was just colors, 2 to 3 was a decent leap that added shading and detailed overworld effects, but it was far from utilizing the power of the GBA properly (the jump to 3D could easily have been done even back then). Gen 4 and 5 were embarrassingly lazy and looked exactly like the gen 3 games.
>>
II to III imo.
The graphical leap from II to R/S/E wasn't that great, but the additional mechanics all around (abilities, natures, weather, double battles, etc.), new features (contests, berry growing, secret bases, etc.) the sheer amount of new moves (and Pokémon), and the vastness and lush wilderness of the Hoenn region compared to Kanto and Johto were all quite radical.

III to IV didn't feel like a leap at all, barely a step. Of course there was the physical/special split, but the art style was very similar to FRLG's, and Sinnoh's scale or route designs didn't feel novel in any way either. In fact, Platinum really turned me off from Pokémon for many years because it was just more of the same and it all felt so stale. (I also didn't have Wi-Fi back in the day so I never got to play Gen IV online.)
>>
>>27278257
This. Gen 4, 5, and 6 were all shit.
>>
>>27278249
>1 to 2 was just colors
but that's incorrect. II implemented 2/3s of the post-Gen I types, expanded significantly upon the concept of evolution (i.e. baby Pokemon, cross-genners, held item trades, etc.), added the breeding mechanic which is expanded upon til this day, and many more features. The leap wasn't that impressive overall because it's expected for a sequel to just add upon the original, but still.
>>
>Top Tier:

3 - 4

>Great Tier:

1 - 2

>Smogon Tier:

2 - 3

>More Smogon Tier:

5 - 6
4 - 5

In terms of the depth of the game, Gen 3 laid the foundations while Gen 4 expanded on them massively. The core battling experience hasn't changed since Gen 3, with the engine relatively the same. Online multiplayer is by far the biggest change introduced in the game bar none, which is massive considering Pokemon was marketed for its multiplayer experience since Gen 1.

Gen 2 fixed a significant amount of the bugs dominant, introduced items, expanded the amount of content in the game massively and is generally the fan favourite. If you have absolutely no interest in competitive battling, Gen 1 - 2 is probably your favourite leap.

The latest two gens have only really added more to the game for the competitive battler. Team preview has completely reshaped competitive battling for the better, breeding has been made significantly easier and Fairy was introduced as a bandaid to Draco Meteor existing.
>>
Either 2->3 or 5->6
>>
III-IV in terms of gameplay and competitive.
>>
>>27277949
>What was the biggest leap in the franchise technologically?
>In terms of mechanics, graphics, presentation, etc.
These seem like two different questions.

In terms of graphics and "technological advancement" in the strictest definitions? Gen 5 to 6, without a doubt. People give Gen 6 a lot of shit (rightly so) but in terms of catching up (Pokemon has always been a few generations behind the rest of gaming in terms of assets and such), Gen 6 is the clear winner, regardless of if you think a few of the 3D models look crap or too washed out.

In terms of actual content and gameplay additions though, Gen 2 wins it for me. No generation since has added so many features without also removing a solid chunk - gen 2, to my knowledge, only really removed the Safari Zone.
>>
>>27277949
>1 to 2
held items, breeding, 2 new types
>2 to 3
abilities
>3 to 4
physical/special split
>4 to 5
fuck if I know. Hidden abilities I guess?
>5 to 6
megas, 3d models, a new type

Am I forgetting anything?

In terms of mechanics, I'd say 3 to 4 takes the cake, then 2 to 3 and 1 to 2.

In terms of graphics and presentation, 5 to 6. No contest here.
>>
>>27277949
Definitely II to III, considering they added in a lot more technical stuff that made it no longer backwards compatible. They added necessary numbers that you can still transfer up to the modern games. As far as graphics go, I'd say V to VI because that's when they eliminated the pixel.
>>
>>27278437
Oh yeah, 2 to 3 also gave us weather and natures. Still, I feel the split is the single most important innovation in the franchise, regarding mechanics.
>>
>>27277949
4 to 5
>>
>>27278485
>weather
that's already on gen2
>>
>>27278437
you forgot shinies. in 1 to 2
>>
>>27278504
true that, I added that after reading another anon's post but I guess he was referring to weather wars
>>
>IV

It brought us the underground which pretty darn revolutionary.
>>
>>27277949
Gen 1 to 2 without a doubt

>>27278110
>genders
>breeding
>hold items
>cross evos
>day and night
>happiness
>rematches
>postgame
>first battle tower
>shinies
>two new types
>animated sprites
>first extra pokeballs
>in game events
>days of the week
>creating a new stat
>backwards compatibility
>roaming legendaries
>sorting bag items
>berries

It did a fucking lot
>>
>>27278551
Eh, not that impressive to be honest. It was still shit. 2-3 is where it's at.
>>
Gen I > II
>new types Dark and Steel
>genders
>breeding
>eggs
>baby pokemon introduced
>shiny pokemon introduced
>apricorns
>new pokeballs
>friendship stat
>hold items
>pokerus
>type changes in moves
>special split to sp. att and sp. def
>bag split into different categories
>ability to set key item
>trainers are given names
>exp. share
>pokegear which has a cellphone, map, and radio
>female choice for player
>battle tower
>move tutor
>online trade
>chasing around legendaries in the wild
>>
>>27278567
>literally most of the groundwork for what modern Pokemon is
>the first battle facility
>everything mentioned in >>27278728
>'not that impressive'
It might not be that impressive but it WAS a massive leap. 2 to 3 just feels like a bigger leap because of the incompatibility between the generations, but I'd argue 2 introduced more staples and lasting advancements to the series overall
>>
>>27278728
good points
you're probably right.
>>
>>27278567
What did gen 3 do outside of current iv/ev and doubles+abilities
>>
>>27279656
Hidden bases.
>>
The only correct answers are I-II mechanics wise or V-VI graphics/presentation-wise.
Anything else is biased schlock.
>>
>>27278257
>weather
Could've sworn that was in Gen II though.
>>
>>27280060
I forgot actually, but it wasn't nearly as big of a deal.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.