[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Mimikyu >Togedemaru Are TPCi translators on strike or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

>Mimikyu
>Togedemaru

Are TPCi translators on strike or something? Sometimes it's fine to keep the Japanese names but these two sound really awkward to pronounce in English.
>>
>It's awkward to say Mimic You
>>
>>27253608
It's a tradition to keep the electric rodents' names intact. Save for Emonga, this has always been a thing. Mimikyu keeping its name is a nice nod to that tradition.

Plus, Pikachu is a universal Pokemon, so to change the would be mascot of the series' name could cause confusion.
>>
>>27253620
Yes, kind of.

Even then you gotta admit that not translating Togedemaru's name is just weird.
>>
>>27253608
Mimikyu is ok and easy to pronounce. Togedemaru is oh shit nigger what are you doing tier though.
>>
>>27253647
>implying Mimikyu is the pika clone
>>
Mimikyu is clever because it works in both languages.

I can't help you with Togedemarukunchan though
>>
>>27253682
I never said it was.
>>
>>27253676
>>27253656
Togeh-de-mah-roo

It'll likely say dema-dema like Pachirisu says pe-pachi-pah. Nothing wrong with kids learning a new language.
>>
>>27253682

It isn't, but it keeping the Japanese name is clearly riffing on that.
>>
>>27253757
You're a disgusting weeb, even by 4chan standards.
>>
Mimikyu is fine. The spelling is debatable, but it sounds out as "mimic you", which is fitting.
>>
>>27253656
You already know how to say Toge from Togepi, how is "demaru" any harder?

This is also considering that we had to live with Pachirisu.
>>
>>27253787
Not even that guy but what are you even basing that on? Knowing the names of pokemon? Suggesting that learning aspects of different languages is good? How do either of thise things make you a weeb, let alone a "disgusting weeb, even by 4chan standards"? Are you fucking stupid? Besides, lots of pokemon keep their japanese names. For example, literally every single pikaclone, which is what togedemaru is, you stupid fucking retard.
>>
>>27253608
>Mimikyu
mimic you
pikaclones keep there jap name
>>
>>27253608
Mimikyu is already an English language pun. Why would they change it?
>>
Togedemaru is a little awkward yeah, but it can't be helped.
>>
>>27253608

You're wrong about Mimikyu, but I think they should have transformed one of Togedemaru's syllables.

Spell it all Togedamaru or something. "gayduh" sounds much less horribly unnatural in English than "gehdeh/gayday/gédé"
>>
>>27254006

What's I'm saying is is that you've got a situation where the é gets the schwa treatment in order so sound natural, (like in Polkamon), except you've got two of the syllables next to each other. It's like if Pokémon was actually Pokedemonmon. Except the unvoiced "k" is actually a "g", so Pogedemonmon.
>>
>>27253843
I know how to say it, but 5 syllables is too much for a short creature name.

And Pachirisu is also shit
>>
>>27253961
It's too on the nose in English.

I'm sure you'd agree that translating the names of the gen 1 Eeveelutions and Legendary Birds was a good idea, right?
>>
>>27253608
Togedemaru is awkward but Mimikyu rolls right off the tongue.
>>
>>27253928
It would be Mimicry in English.
>>
>REEEEEEEEEEE NINTENDO IS LOCALIZING TOO MUCH STOP CENSORING!!!

>REEEEEEEEEEEEE NINTENDO ISNT LOCALIZING ENOUGH I CANT PRONOUNCE THIS SHIT!!!
>>
>>27254838
Sun/Moon's localization is done by TPCI
>>
>>27254995
>TPCi doesnt censor

Nice meme.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>27254995
And it shows.
>>
>>27255011
What is there to censor? Pokémon is designed for small children.
>>
>>27253608
i can understand togedemaru, but mimikyu is literally just "mimic you"

i actually kinda like keeping some japanese names though, i mean, hawaii is close with japan so its understandable i think. i sort of wish this is what they did with yokai watch yokai
>>
>>27253787
Are you that faggot that got triggered when people were calling the female trainer Blue? That was a funny thread, you got BTFO fairly quickly.
>>
>>27253608
>but these two sound really awkward to pronounce in English
Japanese stuff is actually piss easy to pronounce once you know even the bare basics as to what sounds they use. The vowel sounds don't change and every vowel and the consonants before it form a syllable.

Mimikyu is easy, just say Me Me Q which is close enough to Mimic You. It's a good name.

Togedemaru is something I'd probably change but it's not that hard to say.
Toh-geh (as in togepi) deh-mah-roo
>>
>>27255255
That character has no name.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.