[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Rivals go from this: >jerks >challenging in battle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: rivals.jpg (107KB, 555x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rivals.jpg
107KB, 555x1080px
Why did Rivals go from this:
>jerks
>challenging in battle
>loved to hate them
>either always one step ahead of you or actively working to undermine you
>>
File: 1386294575476.gif (2MB, 538x298px) Image search: [Google]
1386294575476.gif
2MB, 538x298px
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (339KB, 1375x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
339KB, 1375x1080px
>>27239830
To this:
>your buddy
>worships the ground you walk on
>easy as pie to defeat
>likeable but bland

Give me a rival that's an asshole.
>>
>>27239830
Green = good rival
stop this meme
>>
>>27239830
>challenging in battle
I can give Green that, and only because he was also the champion, but Silver was a complete push over, which just made him look like a drooling retard by calling you weak when he gets his ass handed to him at every turn.
>>
>he thinks blue was a jerk
Every time
>>
>>27239873
Hugh was actually alright, he just needed more battles vs. you and to actually be a threat.
>>
Can we all agree that Calem / Serena are the worst rivals? (not counting Tierno and Trevor)
>>
>>27239873
Barry and Hugh were good.
>>
Silver was a giant tryhard pussy
>>
>>27239927
Fatso and four eyes aren't even rivals.
>>
>>27239830
Probably because Tajiri was involved in those games. Pokémon games weren't the same after he left.
>>
>>27239830

Just another thing ruined by Hoenn.
>>
>>27239830
>>jerks
Only applies to Silver, Blue was your friend but you were the kind of friends that would tell each other to fucking die before leaving.
>>challenging in battle
Yeah, none of them were challenging, Silver has one of the most pathetic Rival teams in the game next to the XY rivals.
>>loved to hate them
Eh, Silver was an edgemeister you wouldn't really want to see again and you just kind of sigh because of his lack of personality. Blue acted like that kid.
>>either always one step ahead of you or actively working to undermine you
Silver didn't really get in your way and nor did Blue. In fact Blue gave you hints like going to look for Bill.
>>
Barry and Wally are the best overall rivals imo despite looking like complete twinks
>>
>>27239830
Blue was never a jerk. He just had a sense of humor. Silver was the only jerk rival.
>>
>>27239830
I'm such a silver fan that most of my teams end up looking like his.
>>
Honestly I just feel bad for Blue. He's a good trainer, he works hard he loves his Pokemon and he's excited to have you as a rival and gives you advice. But people just shit on him including his own Grandfather.

>Blue you might have a strong team of Pokemon that you have a deep bond with and defeated the Pokemon league exactly the same as Red, BUT I'M DISAPPOINTED IN YOUUUUU!
Oak is a cunt.
>>
>>27239830
Silver's team was horrible. His endgame team still has Sneasel and Magneton despite Magnezone and Weavile debuting in the same generation.
>>
Silver is the worst imo.
>y-you are weaker than me
>gets his ass kicked every time

>>27240031
Yeah,I think that Barry and Wally are the best too.
>despite looking like complete twinks
Even better
>>
>>27239830
Blue wasn't really a jerk though. It was just like how boys are friends and they insult each other.
>>
File: natu.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
natu.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
>>27240142
>>
>>27239873
I never played B2W2 but I was always under the impression that Hue was more antagonistic, like Blue and Silver.
>>
>>27240233
Hugh's not antagonistic towards you. His deal is that he hates Team Plasma with a passion because they hurt his little sister. He's a very protective older brother character who's trying to impress his little sis, but NPCs in the game will comment on how he lets his anger blind him.
>>
>challenging

You were 7
>>
>>27240210
The way he talks in Japanese makes it a bit more obvious he's just dicking around with you. I think the reason so many people remember him as a douchebag is a cross between the English script and people mentally associating him with Gary Oak from the anime (who actually was a douchebag)
>>
Rivals ranked:

>Green
>Silver
>Barry
>Hugh
>Serena
>Wally and May
>Literally don't even remember the ones from BW so they're last
>>
Silver was fucking stupid. His reasonings for being a huge dick all the time made no sense whatsoever.

Barry and Hugh are where it's at.
>>
>>27239830
>>27239873
Caucasian soccer moms bitched because "no bully" so rivals became your friends instead
>>
>>27240365
>Americans are this thin skinned
>>
I don't know where people are getting Blue as some kinda jerk/douchebag, he was just naughty at best.

Or maybe they took his insults to their face.
>>
>>27240409
You'd be surprised anon.
>>
>>27239830
If they wanted to bring back "old-school" rivals they should let the player name them again. It's not fun if you can't name your rival Asshole.
>>
>>27239927
>Tierno and Trevor

Tierno and Trevor are probably the most annoying characters in any Pokemon game.
>>
>he didn't laugh at edgehog silver trying toi hard

I thought he was a girl at first
>>
>>27239830
Silver had a completely different character arc compared to the other rivals. You can barely call him a rival since he never sets out to achieve the same goal as you. Although he's probably the best "rival" in terms of character development.

>>27239873
May/Brendan never set out to be the best trainer, they wanted to complete the Pokedex. The Wally rivalry is one-sided since he looks up to you as a role model. So him sucking your dick is understandable. Unfortunately this meant that Hoenn lacked a proper rival.

Barry was decent. He was ahead of you at times and his team was pretty strong (by rival standards). He had some form of character development in that he became less reckless after getting BTFO by Team Galactic.

Cheren was looking to be Blue 2.0 until he got redpilled by Alder and gave up. At least by the time he gave up, N had pretty much become your rival. Bianca was a fucking joke.

Hugh wasn't really a rival either, his entire motivation was "muh purrloin" rather than being the strongest trainer.

Calem/Serena were basically role reversals of Red/Blue, where the player ends up always being one step ahead of the rival. Again, it meant that you had no real rival in X/Y. Also the other three faggots were intolerable.

I can't imagine that Sun/Moon will have better rivals. Lillie will probably be a Dawn-type character and Hau will probably be Barry-tier at best (which is still a huge step up from X/Y).
>>
>>27240637
>So him sucking your dick is understandable

One can only hope
>>
>>27239830
green was a little until FR/LG fixed that.

silver is and always will be a little bitch. atleast his character arc was good.
>>
>>27240637
>I can't imagine that Sun/Moon will have better rivals.
There is still the possibility of another rival yet to be revealed (as Hau picks the "weak" starter and that leaves one to be used by someone else.)
>>
>>27240637
>Although he's probably the best "rival" in terms of character development.
What development?
He makes a complete 180 at the end without warning.
>>
File: RemoveKanto.png (271KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
RemoveKanto.png
271KB, 800x800px
>>27240637
>Implying Lillie won't be a total bitch
>>
>>27240691
He slowly begins to question why he's unable to beat you. His change of heart is symbolised by his Golbat evolving into a Crobat. And since he's a dick for most of the game, you feel good about beating him.
>>
>>27239830
>challenging in battle
>>
>>27239830
The only rival who is even halfway challenging is Barry. He is also the best rival, and was a good balance between the obnoxious assholes and the obnoxious friendly ones.
>>
>>27241171
>that staravia with double team, aerial ace, quick attack and take down
that thing was brutal
>>
>>27240691
Some chronological quotes from Silver throughout the game:

>"Tell me, who was the guy in the cape who used Dragon-type Pokémon? My Pokémon were no match at all. I don't care that I lost. I can beat him by getting stronger Pokémon. It's what he said that bothers me… He told me that I don't love and trust my Pokémon enough. I'm furious that I lost to a bleeding heart like him. …Humph! I don't have time for the likes of you!"
>"…Why… Why do I lose? I've assembled the toughest Pokémon. I haven't eased up on the gas. So why do I lose?"
>"…I don't understand. Is what that Lance guy said true? That I don't treat Pokémon properly? Love… Trust… Are they really what I lack? Are they keeping me from winning? I… I just don't understand. But it's not going to end here. Not now. Not because of this. I won't give up my dream of becoming the world's best Pokémon Trainer!"
>"…I couldn't win… I gave it everything I had… What you possess and what I lack, I'm beginning to understand what that Dragon Tamer said to me…"
>"I am not giving up beating you! I'll train my Pokémon and...my own heart, too. I'll come back as the toughest challenge for you!"
>"…Oh, no… I still can't win after all that training… I…I have to believe more in my Pokémon… …No big deal. Sorry to have got in the way. Don't forget to rest your Pokémon before you challenge the Champion!"
>>
>>27241018
Not him but his change of heart isn't really established until HG/SS.
Even in the postgame he still believes he's the only one that matters and hard training is all he needs.
>>
>>27241334
>HG/SS
In any case only the last one implies a change of heart.
>>
>>27240689
Lillie will pick the other one.
>>
>>27241488
She doesn't or else they would have showed us, there's no reason not to and they weren't afraid to let you know which one Hau picked.

Her team is Pokemon that havent been revealed yet, so that's why we haven't seen her fight.
>>
>>27240637
>He makes a complete 180 at the end without warning
This is why I don't like ORAS Wally. The blaring theme song and angry face out of nowhere is off-putting. And it's all because you humiliated him in Mauville. You deserve being beaten by him in the late/post game.
>>
>>27240775
In Pokespe maybe. Everyone is a total douchebag towards the male protags for some reason, from the rivals to the gym leaders and the E4.
>>
>>27241171
Barry is not an asshole. He's the same level as the Kalos Retard Trio, and a strong team doesn't have Rapidash and Floatzel in them.
>>
I struggled against Green in LG but I was nine at the time desu
I had a venusaur with Razor Leaf, Cut, Frenzy Plant and Sleep powder iirc

the point i am trying to make is that they were only challengin if you were bad

Silver didn't undermine you until HGSS when he blew your cover a a Rocket member iirc
>>
>>27241412
There's maybe a couple other quotes that might have been worth including with Silver referring to his pokemon as his "partners" or something but I got a little lazy.

It's difficult to portray character development in a game like this, with such a limited amount of dialogue between characters, but I think it was handled extremely well. We don't see a sudden change of heart, but we witness a more realistic development in his character. Over the course of the game he gradually comes to realize that his own flaws and behavior are what holds him back from achieving his dreams and strives to change himself. He's doesn't become some great person by the end of the game but he's noticeably better than when we first encounter him.
>>
>>27239873
>implying that Barry wasn't fun to hate.
>>
Blue wasn't that great, his pokemon up and died like a bitch after a few battles,
>>
>>27241851
he may not have been an asshole, but he was a retarded spastic bastard.
>>
>>27239830
The only reason people think Blue is an asshole is because of his theme music. It gives him an air of arrogance. That and the fact he pops up at very inconvenient times, usually when you've just gotten out of a dungeon and are rushing to a centre.

He's more like how real friends would act towards each other, taking digs and joking around. The only time he sounds like a dick is the way he talks to Oak at the very beginning, after that he's cool. Oak treats him like shit too.

Do the new rivals even have a musical cue/theme any more pre battle? If they did I haven't noticed it or it's really poncey, trouncey shit.
>>
>>27242350
I never sympathized with Blue until Oak was such a dick to him in front of your as soon as you finished the final battle.
>>
>>27239830
>>27239873
>>27240336
Fuck off nostalgiafags, they were shit
"wahhh i want muh edgy asshole rival!" go fuck yourself

>>27240365
Stop making shit up dickhead
>>
>>27239830
Barry was the only one that built a good team during the main game.
>>
>>27241851
I never said he was, dumb dumb. But he doesn't just suck your dick like the Kalos rivals, he's your friend but wants to beat you and is actually competitive.

And Barry's team is consistently the best out of any of the rivals.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.