[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I Know A Lot Of You Dislike G5 And G6... But Both Games Where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: art_isshu.jpg (440KB, 1922x1212px) Image search: [Google]
art_isshu.jpg
440KB, 1922x1212px
Sun and Moon looks like it is going to be one of the best games out there. We wouldn't have gotten to this point if it wasn't for Black/White and X/Y. Black/White was the start of something big. Animations where added making things much more lively. Without this then they couldn't take the next step... Full out 3D. X and Y sacrificed New Pokémon and difficulty/story development for turning everything into 3D. Thanks to Black and White and X and Y we have Sun and Moon
>>
>>27151800
BW and BW2 were the wrap up to the DS era of games. XY is just a tech demo for the new 3D mechanics. ORAS was just made to calm down the Hoennbabbies like myself.
>>
>>27151800
A lot of people seemed to hold Gen 5 in high regard. BW2 was probably the best endgame content we've had, maybe second only to HG/SS. The entire problem of XY was that BW and BW2 left on a high note and XY continued on a sour one.

BW would've been better in a better designed region and the "only new pokemon gimmick" would've been better for Gen 3, but the characters, plot, quality of life improvements and most of the pokemon (sans the obvious three and the samefaces) were great.
>>
gen5 was almost like a game for adults
>>
None of that shit has any bearing on anything. People are still playing romhacks of Fire Red; no one cared about the graphics.

If anything, Gen 5 is important in reingiting a more "fresh" interest by not allowing use of old Pokémon until post-game. That, coupled with the great Unova layout and actual attempt at some semblance of a story.

3D does not make a game great or fun. Mechanics do.
>>
yeah i agree the aberration of gen 6 was necessary for this game.

if we get more than 110 mons best gen confirmed
>>
>people still think that sun and moon are going to be good

Nah guys, they fucked up too hard with ORAS.
>>
>>27151995
>Being a jaded fuck
Never change /vp/, never change.
>>
>>27151800
>Without this then they couldn't take the next step... Full out 3D.
Wrong. gen5's shitty in-battle sprites contributed to XY and SM's models in no way.

>X and Y sacrificed New Pokémon and difficulty/story development for turning everything into 3D.
They could have had both, that's definitely not the reason they did. It's probably just because they knew they would have had another game (SM) on the 3DS so they just tried to have one that could appeal to everyone more easily, but that's just my guess.

>Thanks to Black and White and X and Y we have Sun and Moon
Nah.

Also, excluding the problems B2W2 fixed, the only one that's left is in-battle graphics, so gen5 is still good. Gen6 has less features, but it's nothing to complain about, it's what they've always done with the series if you ignore Platinum, HGSS, B2W2 and the problems BW (purposefully, I would say) had.
>>
File: 1467891910925.png (1010KB, 1262x1069px) Image search: [Google]
1467891910925.png
1010KB, 1262x1069px
So there a pictures like this floating around. Does anyone have anything like this for gen 5 or 4? Does how many new pokemon are revealed before release correlate with the amount of new pokemon in-game?
>>
>>27151800
>Animations where added making things much more lively
They looked like shit.
>Without this then they couldn't take the next step
Of course they could have, even if we were to ignore the fact that Stadium/Colosseum/Revolution exist.
>>
>>27151800

All of the Games are necessary.
>>
There was a Gen discussion thread a few weeks ago, and I thought it summed up the two generations quite well:

"I rather liked the newness introduced in Gen V. I find it rather incredible that the one single generation that introduced essentially nothing big mechanically managed to feel singularly unique in a way no other games before or after them were. It wasn't just "Pokemon: Now With New Feature;" it was "Pokemon: Reloaded." Virtually identical on a mechanical level to gen IV, not all that different graphically, but ENTIRELY different at a base level. As I said before, I found it refreshing, and I liked the changes. Others may not have, and that's likely why Gen V is such a point of contention on this board.

I also hope, by the way, that Gen VI serves as the DP to Gen VII's Platinum. It's not as though it was a BAD set of games-- it was just an extremely weak set of entries in a great series with far too much wasted potential."

"Agreed on all accounts. It's just that massive feeling of difference between itself and the last Gen that made BW so unique. It was an entirely new level in what the Pokemon series could accomplish in both its environments, story, and general aesthetic. But that level of unfamiliarity is what made me avoid it at first, and probably what made it so controversial on the board.

By that same token, Gen VI could be considered Gen V's opposite, in a way. Kalos' regional pokedex is absolutely MASSIVE, the biggest one to date. It also had an equally big impact mechanically, what with new breeding mechanics, the fairy type, and Megas. Aesthetically, however, all it did was update sprites to models, and added a camera for cutscenes. X and Y were huge improvements to the series, but didn't really put on much of a show. Again, it just was like, "Look! Pokemon in 3D!" - which is by no means a bad thing, I mean, take a look at Pokemon Stadium - it just didn't have a lot of stuff to present other than mechanics."
>>
>>27152639
There's a camera in BW/BW2, as well as DPPt.
>>
>>27151800
That's all well and fine but what if Gen 7 ends up just as bad as Gen 6? The only things we've seen about the game's difficulty have been negative (type effectiveness hints, rival uses the starter weak to you with seemingly no "strong" rival to use the starter good against yours), what do you have to give you any optimism?
>>
>>27152639
XY introduced trainer customization, which is actually a pretty big deal (people have asked for it since the beginning of the series) and the way they implemented it was brilliant since it gave an incentive to keep playing through the story

I know /vp/ likes to shit on the limited options but it's better than being stuck with the default outfit
>>
>>27151849
Nah, you've been fooled by /vp/'s contrarian mindset
Gen 5 is viewed as the worst by most of the fanbase
>>
>>27152745
>That's all well and fine but what if Gen 7 ends up just as bad as Gen 6?
They're not going to disappoint the most autistic fans with 2 gens in a row.

>The only things we've seen about the game's difficulty have been negative
Ok, let's see

>type effectiveness hints
That only makes it easier if you're as dumb as I am, and I hope nobody who complains that XY was too easy is as dumb as me.

>rival uses the starter weak to you
The first battle against the rival's starter is always pressing A six times in a row regardless.

>what do you have to give you any optimism?
They seemingly dropped third versions and you have yet to get used to it. Instead of releasing BW with the improvements it needed or REreleasing it with them they made a new game. The same is happening with XY. They removed third versions and the improvements/cut features they used to add are moved to the next game.
Don't think of third versions as third versions and you'll see it's the same strategy they've adopted since RS.
>>
>>27152639
I agree on the Gen V sentiments, BW/2 also holds what I consider the most balanced and engaging competitive metas
>>
>>27152945
>Weather Wars
>engaging
post-Garchomp gen 4 was the best IMO
but then that's probably because the power creep is so real now
>>
>>27151800
>I Know A Lot Of You Dislike G5 And G6
It's a cycle you retard.

This gen sucks > Last gen sucked even harder > the gen before that was god tier

It's how it has always happened and how it always will be.
>>
>>27152153
We knew 55 for Gen 6, 42 of the Gen 6 pokemon, not including megas, before the release. There's no correlation.
>>
>>27152981
Specifically BW/2 Ubers, I see the criticisms of what Politoed and Ninetales did but they added another dimension to how the game was played
>>
>>27152894
>The first battle against the rival's starter is always pressing A six times in a row regardless.

In ORAS they gave starters moves of their types at Lv. 5. I can't remember if the E3 demo of SM undid that though.

I acknowledge the no-third-game possibility, but at the same time I know Game Freak is really, really lazy. They could remove third versions but keep the first two versions the same as always knowing most people are going to buy it anyways.

I mean, if you're right then that'd definitely be a good thing, but I'm worried about the chance that you're wrong.

>>27153059
The Zelda Cycle does not apply to Pokémon, stop trying to force it.
>>
>>27151825
>XY is just a tech demo for the new 3D mechanics. ORAS was just made to calm down the Hoennbabbies like myself.
this so fucking much holy shit, after the footage shown yesterday of S&M, it truly seemed like gen 6 as a whole was just gamefreak testing 3d
>>
>>27152883
How can /vp/ be contrarian when its a mish mash of Pokemon fans from all over the internet?
>>
File: chesnaught amie.gif (454KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
chesnaught amie.gif
454KB, 250x238px
>>27151800
>G6
But I loved G6.
>>
>>27153059
>le Zelda Cycle meme
>the captcha says STOP
>>
>>27151800
https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?43752-Project-721
>this romhack will never be released
>comfy 2d animations for 721 pokemon on BW

feels bad
>>
>>27153768
Wow, that's actually pretty cool, I didn't know about it. Why is no one working on completing it?
>>
>>27154071
No idea. I've tried downloading it and seeing if i could get a few screenshots but i had no idea what i was doing.

Might make an account on that forum and ask for an update on its progress
>>
File: 2az.jpg (576KB, 2260x2177px) Image search: [Google]
2az.jpg
576KB, 2260x2177px
>>27151876
>the great Unova layout
>>
gen 5 kicked ass
>>
>>27152639
>Aesthetically, however, all it did was update sprites to models

Yeah, it sure isnt something important, right?
Gen 5 did much more when it updated sprites to pixelated sprites
>>
>>27151800
..................Or they could have made actually good games that used the graphical styles of Gen 5/6 and still made the transition
>>
>>27151825
This guy gets it. XY took a lot of steps backwards from Gen 5 as well.
>>
>>27151800

No one dislikes Gen 5 except faggots.
>>
>>27154136
He's right though. The layout benefits both the people who just want to hurry to the next town and also those who would rather hang around and explore the variety of hidden nooks and crannies in Unova. Everyone can go at their own pace so there's no sense of tedium involved.

Sinnoh is objectively the worst region in terms of layout, so let's stick to hating that instead.
>>
>>27157243
But Sinnoh actually has the best layout. In the postgame you can go from one place to another with freedom, BW Unova feels way more limited.
>>
>>27157279
>you can go from one place to another with freedom

Not really, unless you like trudging through a mountain range slapped right in the middle of the region each time you want to navigate from one side of the map to another. There's also the issue with extremely boring, forgettable towns and a laughable dex.
>>
Maybe Im not jaded since I take breaks from the series (which sadly led me to miss out on SS/HG and BW2) but I have liked every gen more or less. I got ORAS two days ago and fuck have I had a blast with it, it helps that gen 3 is my favorite gen.

Seeing the improvements that ORAS brought with it (dexnav, free flying, different swim speeds etc) I can't help but feel that Sun and Moon will be a memorable and great entry to the series. I didn't quite like the designs of the Pokemons at first but now I actually like most of what they have showed except for the water starter.
>>
G5 was disliked by genwunners who wanted "muh old pokes back, dunt care for finishing the game to see them" and bitched about "game too complex, i want the simple stuff"

then G6 comes out and it's a genwunner loveletter with no content and no lore. Surprise! genwunners love it.
>>
>>27157347
>extremely boring, forgettable towns
Most of them are pretty good.

>a laughable dex
I can give you this one, except some of the gen4 Pokémon the gen1-gen3 ones you can find in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are quite boring, particularly if compared with B2W2 and XY. Also there aren't many Fire types as well, right? I understand it's a cold region, but they should have found a way to include them regardless. I haven't played gen4 in a while, so I might be wrong on some details, but it's also one of the Pokémon games I've played the most, so I remember it better than the others.
>>
First gen best Pokemon
>>
>>27157937
>then G6 comes out and it's a genwunner loveletter with no content and no lore. Surprise! genwunners love it.

Bullshit. I've never known a genwunner to love anything aside from Gen 1, even when GF goes out of its way to cater to them they just bitch even more.
>>
File: image.png (11KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11KB, 500x294px
>>27152883
>>
File: better than nothing....jpg (343KB, 1760x1080px) Image search: [Google]
better than nothing....jpg
343KB, 1760x1080px
>>27152854
Yes, Totally.,...
>>
>>27152639
>dropping paragraphs without putting it in greentext
>unironically just using quotation marks for that shit
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>27160375
We are talking about a purely cosmetic unnecessary feature not an entire game.
>>
>>27154194
gen 5 was ass
>>
Lol I see yet another thread full of fat casuals who aren't playing go. Get with the times /VP, non-ar Mon games are already a thing of the past.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.