[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it really that bad? I mean why did everyone just completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 15

File: gen3.jpg (82KB, 470x235px) Image search: [Google]
gen3.jpg
82KB, 470x235px
Was it really that bad?

I mean why did everyone just completely lose interest in Pokemon during Gen 3?
>>
They couldn't trade their precious Charizard to these games.
>>
>>27143381
Because kids were becoming teenagers and liking things you like as a kid is "uncool"
>>
Genwunners couldn't trade their old Pokémon.
Normies have a low attention span.
>>
Most of it was salt over how you can't go back to Johto and no nighttime.
>>
>>27143381
Because they grew up.
>>
>>27143389
This. I wonder if things would have ended up differently if there was backwards compatibility.
Fans would still leave Pokemon out of the notion of "growing out of it", but at least the satisfaction of transferring your Pokes would've softened the blow.
>>
I liked the designs, but those water routes felt like a chore.
>>
>>27143381

I mean, I know I did. It's the only generation I didn't play when it released. Gen III Pokemon still look bizarre to me in a way no other gen does
>>
>>27143381
The fad had died before then, on it's own.
>>
It's a combination of factors
>The original genwun kids had reached the age where they wanted to trade in Pokemon for edgier franchises like DBZ
>Lack of backwards compatibility
>Gen 3 was the first time they had outright removal of features (day/night, apricorns etc) - Gen 2 pretty much just added to Gen 1
But most importantly
>The anime, which was Pokemon's biggest propaganda machine back in those days, seriously dived in quality near the end of Johto and beginning of Hoenn (even though it was never good in the first place)
>>
Kind of wish it had the Night/Day feature still

Also I wish mine didn't run out of that internal battery so that berries wouldn't grow.
>>
I feel like enough time has past that a lot of people don't understand what happened.
Johto was a proper sequel, it followed up on the team rocket story and you could even go to kanto. Reoccurring characters, can even battle red.
Hoenn was a fresh slate - which isn't in itself a bad thing.
But the designs, like gen 5 onwards, were a massive departure as well. Some even felt like reskins - which we are kind of used to at this point.
I mean, I like the box legendaries for gen 3, but you can see that they look very different to what came earlier.
The games start off well enough, but they really drag on - especially once you get past Lillycove.
In retrospect I can now say that I really enjoyed gen 3. I remember before gen 5 came out it was so cool to hate them on /vp/, but they're pretty fun.
>>
It does occur to me that they were the first games on a new console, as well. GBAs are fucking ubiquitous at this point, and I had one for sure, but I do wonder how many casuals were just left behind because they didn't bother trading up from GB to GBA.
>>
>>27143437
The Johto arc in its entirety was a dive in quality. Not just the end.
>>
>>27143437
>dbz came after pokemon
In what reality?
>anime quality at the END of johto
Again, what bearstein bears shit is this?
>>
>>27143457
True, but a lot of kids put up with Johto for the first half in the hopes that it would get better. The fact that it never redeemed itself near the end was the nail in the coffin for "Pokemania" as I see it, that combined with the other three factors I mentioned
>>
In regards to the anime, my recollection of the fads at my school
>1999/2000 - pokemon
>2001 - digimon
>2003 - beyblades
>2004 - yugioh
I think after that Naruto got popular, but I stopped watching cartoons when I started high school.
Except for edgy anime on the internet.
>>
>>27143484
I meant 2002 beyblades and 2003 yugioh
Time for bed
>>
>>27143461
>dbz came after pokemon
Nobody said that. I'm not talking about which one came first, I'm just saying that a lot of kids reached the age where they wanted to move on to edgier franchises - DBZ was just an anecdotal example of what a lot of people I know latched on to.

Although, unless you were a dirty mexican, I'm pretty sure the popular streak of DBZ in the US and UK was 1998 through 2003-4, and I certainly don't remember it actually taking off in the public consciousness of the west until the early 2000s. Around the same time Pokemania started dying down. Maybe it was just different here in bongland
>>
>>27143528
In Australia it was always on TV during these
>>27143484
But it was never as hugely popular, it was something some kids liked but not to the same extremes.
I like DBZ now, but as a kid I was an effeminate little shit so I was pretty indifferent to it.
Those dates sound about right too. Truly a golden age for morning cartoons on free TV.
>>
>>27143381
>tfw everyone stopped carrying while you still liked it
>>
>>27143548
And now those normies are playing Pokemon Go.

JUST

For the record I fucking loved Emerald, still my favourite
>>
I was close to not getting R/S simply because they were no unique backgrounds during battles. And the anime at that point felt like it was really spinning its wheels. I'm glad I ended up being there for gen 3 though.
>>
>>27143602
>the battle frontier
muh dick
>>
>>27143381
Gen 3 was great, that brass was the shit. And the Battle Frontier was fantastic.
>>
>>27143437
Pretty sure the anime hype train was killed sometime in Middle Johto.

Fillers man.
>>
>>27143381
I put ungodly hours into Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Crystal as a kid. Then I got wrapped up in the Harry Potter/YuGiOh/every other fucking 90s/00s kid shit that was going on.

No computer at my house, had absolutely no clue that a third generation was even coming out until I left church one day and saw a big billboard for Pokemon Ruby showing off Groudon.

The first thing I thought was 'That doesn't look like a Pokemon.'

Just something anecdotal from when I was 11.
>>
>>27143389

this
>>
>>27143389
>>27143399
>people that want backwards compatibility are just genwunners
Jesus, hoennshitters will come up for any shitty justification they can.
>>
>>27143381
This game was my shit back in the day, made some good friends through it. Gen IV was when things started dying imo.
>>
>>27143397
This was it for me. I didn't completely give up Pokemon, but my interest definitely waned.
>>
>>27143381
Because everywhere I walk in that game a fucking wingull pops up. I have never hated a pokemon more than wingull.
>>
>>27143397
No, it just got old and adding n
More and more new Pokemon was getting stupid and boring.
>>
Never touched gen 3. Should I play Emerald or ORAS? I'm jonsing for a fix right now.
>>
It was really good actually. Transitioned Pokemon into being something more than "The Kanto Region + Johto" very well. The remakes were absolute garbage bin material though
>>
Pokemon Emerald/Ruby/Saffire was the best pokemon game story wise.

FACT
>>
>>27146567
Play Emerald my friend, ORAS was dogshit
>>
It felt like a chore to play.
>>
>>27146685
Black/White would like to have a word with you.

...Hell, OR/AS would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>27146567
Play both, they each have different strengths and weaknesses. In the end you'll probably like Emerald more though. I still recommend both.
>>
>>27143400
To be fair not having the time cycle in Gen III was a really stupid decision. Gave the game an immense amount of immersion. Gen III is easily the comfiest set but not being able to hunt rare nocturnals at 3am gimped it hard.
>>
>>27143381
They weren't bad, but they're definitely not my favorites either.

Personally I think I hated all the water the most, it just felt really, really bland and it's as if they were trying to add as much content to the games as possible with the least amount of effort.

I bought Alpha Sapphire too, just because I missed out on X/Y (only games from the main Pokemon series I haven't played) due to the lack of post game content and I just wanted a new Pokemon game on my 3DS, but ultimately as soon as I was done with the Delta episode I've stopped playing it.

Dunno, it's just not very fun even with updated graphics and shit. Kinda boring really.

I'm replaying SoulSilver right now and I'm having a blast. Once I'm done with that, I might transfer my team to B/W and then to Pokemon Bank so that they're ready for Sun/Moon.
>>
>>27143528
dbz and pokemon are equally gay when you're a genwunner that's become a teenager. I like pokemon and dbz at the same time, and ditched both at the same time.
>>
>>27143548
I know this feel so intimately. My brother was one year older than me. We grew up together

Gen 1
>brother has two twin girls in his class who come to his birthday party and one gets him red, the other gets him blue.
>he gave me the blue version
>play Pokemon all the time
>pick charm Andre
>make it to Brock
>get rocked for what feels like forever
>cool kid at my school tells me i can't get past Brock because i picked the wrong starter, have to get squirtle to level 11 so he learns bubble.
>do that
>my brother and I level our squirtles
>good times

Gen 2
>my brothern has taken an interest in football because the cool kids do
>he doesn't take his gameboy to school anymore
>I don't want people to make fun of him because his brother plays Pokemon so i leave mine at home too and wait roleplay with him when we get home
>make it to violet city sprout tower and he starts playing fantasy football on the computer after school to have lunch table conversation material with his new friends
>i play the rest of gen 2 alone

Gen 3
>pokemon is thoroughly uncool by this point. I'm 13, my brother is 14
>playing Pokemon is social cancer
>mom takes me to toys r us to get the new game
>see kid from Sunday school in line to get it on release day, one of the younger kids from two grades below me
>we make eye contact
>he looks away
>I realize that we have an unspoken agreement not to tell anyone we saw each other here, instead of each making a new friend
>play gen 3 alone, moved my bed over against the wall with an outlet so i could plug my SP in and play late at night

I'll be God damned if these normies made geek culture a brand at some point near the beginning of undergraduate school back in 2009

Fucking pokemobile go
>>
>>27143381
I'd agree that Hoenn had too much water. Those Tentacools and Wingulls didn't make the experience pleasant.
>>
>>27147130
squirtle < bulbasaur for beating early gym leaders, but that's advice from children for you
>>
>>27146880
I think they dropped the ball with nighttime completely. Hoothoot was the only nocturnal pokemon, if I remember correctly.
>>
File: absolute; girls edition.jpg (68KB, 649x590px) Image search: [Google]
absolute; girls edition.jpg
68KB, 649x590px
>>27144853
Where did he even mention genwunner? Lmoa you people REALLY are mad about your precious nothings, hot damn
>>
>>27143381
It was during Gen 2 that the public lost interest. Proof: Crystal's sales and the complete lack of prerelease hype for RS compared to GS.
>>
>>27143437
>removal of features
>fucking ever, outside of 4th gen
It's called not including them. This happens all the time, most often due to money, technical or time constraints.
>>
>>27143381
The transition between Gen 2 and Gen 3 was not very smooth. Gen 3 was great as a starting platform for younger kids new to Pokemon tho.

If you were to ask a Hoennbaby, they'd probably say Gen 5 was bad. D/P/PT being the G/S/C for a Genwunner.
>>
File: comfypepe.png (201KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
comfypepe.png
201KB, 620x387px
>>27143614
God I spend so much time on that
>>
>>27147331
>If you were to ask a Hoennbaby, they'd probably say Gen 5 was bad
But the thing is, it objectively isn't. Love both 3 and 5. Sinnoh was pretty awful in terms of how large it is when coupled with how slow it is.
>>
>>27147252
It was mostly only the first few routes but a lot of them were there, hoothoot,pidgey,ratata asks sentret being notable examples add well as A BUNCH of bugs
>>
>>27147262
>first post mentioned "precious Charizard"
>second post outright says the word

Is English not your first language?
>>
>>27147646
You know you could use Charizard in G/S/C as well, right? Also, process of elimination.
>>
>>27143484
>I think after that Naruto got popular

And one piece, Mew mew power, kirby, bleach.
>>
>>27147663
He was talking about transferring Charizard to RS before frog came out.all the progress from two games gone
>>
>>27147331
Gen 3 was my first and desu I agree with this, didn't enjoy Gen 5 much. HGSS are my faves
>>
>>27147721
Why would he transfer anything to Johto if he was a genwunner?
>>
>why did everyone just completely lose interest in Pokemon during Gen 3?

It was a fad, the game fundamentally didn't change much from RBY. Part ofthe reason pokemon was so huge because it was new.
>>
>>27143399
>Normies have a low attention span.

Not clinging to an obvious fad makes you ADHD?

Haha
>>
>>27147796
Genwunner is a blanket term for people who essentially didn't like hoenn and beyond, you know. GSC was still at the height of pokemania and transitioned well from rby so most of the people who played rby also played gsc
>>
>>27147918
>Genwunner is a blanket term for people who essentially didn't like hoenn and beyond
No, it's specifically for returning to genwun and defending it while saying everything else is shit.
>>
the reason why normies believe gen 3 is bad is because when gen 3 was released pokemon stoped being an ad for the cartoon and it started to be a game with it's own lore
>>
>>27143397

This. I was way more into drugs and skateboarding than i was any sort of video game

i just back into pokemon to be honest
>>
I stopped playing Pokemon after gen 3 in 2004-05 and came back for gen 4 with HG/SS just for old times(haven't play 5 or 6),Pokemon is fun but it's getting ridiculous with what they're come out with and me having to drop $200+ just to play pokemon is meh,might as well make a MMO already and update with new continents to caught more Pokemon.
>>
>>27143381
I've played Pokemon every Gen, I am le true fan
>>
>>27150003

> it's getting ridiculous with what they're come out with

more content is ridiculous? More monsters?

>make an MMO already

underage detected.
>>
>>27143381
I did after gen 3, mostly because i had no means to play the newer games, and i was a contrarian teenager who shat on a lot of the newer mons.
>>
>>27150096
I'm talking quality not quantity

>underage detected.
you really trying me?
>>
>>27143411
The water routes and deep sea travel made this game good. How fun it was to explore between small islands and make your own secret base.
SECRET FUCKING BASES.
>>
>>27143381
I started with Blue, never missed a pokemon generation.
Hoenn is probably my favorite region and I loved gen3, but objectively talking it wasn't the best gen and I can understand the things that disappointed some of the fans.
>first gen to try new and different things, which caused plenty of discomfort
>this can be seen even in the pokemon designs although I think Hoenn's pokedex is solid
>lazy and unnecessary removal of the day/night cycle
>no trading for old games alienated gen3 even more from the previous games
>kids were expecting something similar to gen2, where you would visit the other regions

Honestly, I must have been dumb, but wasn't expecting that last one when I played. I can understand the huge disappointment though.
There's also the water routes, and while I enjoyed them a lot, I don't think the problem was "too much water" but rather an utter lack of pokemon variety and not enough dive-exploration with "unique spots" in both the surface and the deeps.

On top of that, the fact that people were in that age where playing pokemon was uncool (and a social suicide for some teenagers) made that half the quitters abandoned the franchise before gen3 started, and not "during". Fucking deserters, man.

Anyway, I still love Hoenn with all of its flaws, like any other game or gen. I don't understand how some can get to hate any gen so passionately, but to each his own I guess.
>>
>>27143381
Gen 2 was the time people lost interest here. Gen 3 actually revived a lot of it, and people in my area got back in to pokemon, GBAs got banned from school because our lunch times would consist of everybody playing it. I never even thought it was the downfall until I came to /vp/.
>>
I only ever played sapphire growing up and never played emerald. Is it worth playing?
>>
The kids who were ages 7-11 in 1998 were ages 12-16 in 2003 and Pokemon became "gay". It was pretty much social suicide until HGSS came out
>>
ruby and sapphire were pretty underwhelming, emerald fixed it

>I mean why did everyone just completely lose interest in Pokemon during Gen 3?

the craze ended a little after G/S
>>
>>27143437
>implying gen 2 didn't remove features

hi I'm the safari zone
>>
>>27146567
emerald is one of the best pokemon games

OR/AS is steaming shit
>>
>>27143437
>>The anime, which was Pokemon's biggest propaganda machine back in those days, seriously dived in quality near the end of Johto and beginning of Hoenn (even though it was never good in the first place)
Shit, this must have been one of the reasons why AG doesn't get exported to many parts of the world. Also May's lewd anime design is probably a factor too.
>>
>>27147331
Except gen V was absolute fucking shit and my favorite Pokemon game is SS, get fucked, your gen is shit and there's nothing you can do about, kill yourself.
>>
>>27147913
>obvious fad
>reached 20 years
>now normies are clinging to GO fad like no tomorrow
>>
>>27150579
This!

Also the new pokes art style just didn't look good to me. Like someone else said, it didn't become socially acceptable again till HGSS came out.
>>
>>27143381
Nah it was just fatigue at that point.

Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Stadium, Snap, TCG, Show, etc and there was just another game coming out on another console you needed to buy.
>>
What does emerald improve over R/S?
>>
>>27147331
I never really got into pokemon till I was like 8/9 or something gen 3 being the one out at the time
>>
>>27151263
Main reason why I love gen 3 so much I guess
>>
>>27151237
Pretty much everything.
>>
>>27143381
It was the same shit again. Beating gym leaders, E4 and champion plus new evil teams. Normal people would get bored of course.
Also you couldn't trade pokémon from past games. No day/night cycle. No post-game like in Gen 2. You couldn't get both legendaries. Hardly any new feature.
>>
>>27151237
everything
>>
>>27151004
It was a fad. Accept it, the fact that mainstream dropped it like hot shit after a few years.

You know its a fad when everyone in school had one today then the next day only the nerds play it.
>>
>>27143397
This. I never completely stopped playing Pokémon but during Gen 3 and Gen 4 I wouldn't have let any of my friends know I was playing Pokémon.

Then HGSS came out and it was cool to like Pokémon again, so that was great, and by the time Gen 5 came out and everyone forgot about it I was old enough to not give a shit what people thought.

I'm sure there are kids who grew up with Pokémon with Gen 3 as their first games, got to their 2cool4skool phase with Gen 5, and will get back into it with the most recent Gen. They probably have a boost due to the popularity of the mobile trash plaguing this board, too.
>>
>>27143381
Personally, I thought the new pokemon looked retarded, the region felt uninspired and there was way too much water.

I was also getting older.
>>
>>27143437
Basically this. But I think the getting older and don't wanting to be viewed as "liking a kids game" was a bigger factor than the others.

>>27143528
In France and I think the rest of Europe, DBZ was there since the early 90s
Why americans are so slow to catch on?
>>
>>27143548
>>27143602
>1999
>HOLY SHIT POKEMON FUCK YEAH
>2004
>lol look at that weirdo still playing pokemon
>2010
>yeah i used to like pokemon when I was a kid but those ones are weird, where are the true original 151?
>2016
OMG IM SUCH A POKEFAN XD

I hate this hypocrisy
>>
>>27143397
Basically this.

The faggot who thinks people were bitching about not having Charizard is wrong.

I've been playing since I was 5 when Gen 1 came out. I stopped playing at Diamond/Pearl because they came out when I was a freshman in high school. I didn't want anyone to find out I liked Pokemon, so I sold my copy of Pearl about two weeks after I bought it.
>>
>>27143389
>>27143399
>>27143400

Wrong. See >>27143397 and >>27143401
>>
The pokemon variety was godawful. I'm convinced people that like Pelliper have stockholm syndrome since Wingull was everywhere.
>>
>>27151944
Everything you quoted is correct. No one's wrong.
>>
>>27146567
ORAS has a few nice features not in Emerald but as a whole the game is noticeably worse. Play Emerald first, then try ORAS if you're curious. Dexnav is great but it can't carry an entire game.
>>
>>27147130
>I realize that we have an unspoken agreement not to tell anyone we saw each other here, instead of each making a new friend
that's really sad man
>>
They removed the time feature and I lost access to almost every Johto pokemon.
It got a bit better with FRLG, but I was pissed off back then.
>>
>loads of gen 1 and 2 pokemon were inaccessable
>unless you're tentacool in which case welcome to 50% of the map
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 1920x1080px
Having been a 90's kid Genwunner just like the rest of them, I don't understand the hate for RS. Shit was just perfect: the colors, the tropical setting, the secret stuff, the comfy contests & secret bases - Sapphire to this day is my favorite game & Regis to this day are my favorite Legendaries, with Gigas at the helm.
Looking back on it, Black & White was probably the start of when I stopped getting interested in Pokemon, and I'm just totally put off by it nowadays. Go looks like hot garbage & S&M looks like baby crap like XY felt.
>>
File: 1414037366621.jpg (14KB, 300x314px) Image search: [Google]
1414037366621.jpg
14KB, 300x314px
>>27143381
>no backwards compatibility
>regional bird only evolved once, not worth keeping except as a flymon
>split storyline between games, had to wait for Emerald for it
>also had to wait for Emerald for phones again
>no radio
>no day/night
>horrible ass font
>anime sucked because of kid appeal character addition
>Starters were mediocre at best, fucking shit meme mudfish garbage at worst
>tropical region, personal taste but no interest in warm climates, kind of worried about Alolapalooza, missing the cold already
>too much water
As much as I defended it, and in spite of a few good mons, it was largely shit, yeah.
>>
>>27143484
I never heard of beyblades until someone mentioned it on 4chan like a year ago.
>>
>>27146769
>Ruby and Sapphire had the best storyline
>I disagree with you because the remakes had a good storyline as well!
Wow, dude. Really? You sure showed him.
>>
>>27153648
Even with R/S/E as my favorite games, I don't understand how it has "the best story" when 5th gen and OR/AS exist. OR/AS is an improvement, 5th gen is a whole different thing and oh so much better.
>>
>>27143381
'Pokémania' had already died down well before then. Even Gen 2 had far less type than Gen 1. By the time Gen 3 came around there was maybe 6-8 people at my school playing it, or even just watching the show. (Out of 100ish kids. Small village school) That's compared to most of the school for Gen 1.
>>
Anime and games were shit
>>
File: 1463074221853.jpg (120KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1463074221853.jpg
120KB, 500x500px
>When people call your favourite pokemon games to date, ORAS, shit.
Don't know how you people can claim to enjoy anything feeling like this.
I bet you'd act like it's the best game ever if the frontier was in you flippant butthats.
>>
>>27153566

B/W was around when I lost interest too. I struggled just to try to finish playing White because it just didn't grip me. Weirdly enough though, I was pretty okay with B/W2 and X/Y.
>>
In emerald, are physical attacks seperate from special?
>>
>>27154063
Yes. Gengar can't STAB.
>>
>>27154063
The split occurred in gen 4 so no.
>>
>>27143438
You can change the internal battery if it runs dry, you can either tape a new one in or buy a tabbed battery on the internet and solder it in (if you have access to a soldering iron).
Or just buy a new copy on ebay for $10
>>
>>27153921
I can list lots of problems with ORAS, both big and small. The Frontier would definitely improve my feelings toward said games but there's a lot more wrong with ORAS than just no Frontier.
>>
Really don't understand the people in this thread acting like it was a quality issue or having anything to do with backwards compatibility... most of you were in your early teens at most when these games came out. I was 9. The reason most people I know didn't play these games was
1. because people were getting older and pokemon was seen as a childish game
2. BECAUSE YOU NEEDED TO BUY NEW HARDWARE TO PLAY THIS GAME. Obviously, 10 year olds are not running out to the store to buy their own gameboy advances. Playing this game relied on you parents having enough money to buy a new system and game for you, and their approval in playing it.
>>
File: 1421885450463.jpg (226KB, 567x579px) Image search: [Google]
1421885450463.jpg
226KB, 567x579px
>>27154838
I dunno, I grew up pretty poor and I got a GBA for Christmas 2003, and got Pokémon Sapphire shortly after. It wasn't release date, sure, but it's not like I got bored of Silver before getting Sapphire.
>>
>>27153622
>>horrible ass font

This was a particularly murderous aspect of RS, yes.

I had trouble getting used to the font in them again after moving to Emerald.
>>
File: Beyblade2002Slider.png (440KB, 670x360px) Image search: [Google]
Beyblade2002Slider.png
440KB, 670x360px
>>27143484
>beyblade

Holy shit, I stopped remembering it until now. Didn't really get into it.

Judging by a google search, looks like I'm not missing out on much.
>>
>>27143397

This plus no compatibility.
>>
>>27143397
I was seventeen when ruby/sapphire came out so it was the opposite for me.
>>
>>27154063

Physical special split didn't happen until D/P. There are romhacks to fix that though.
>>
>>27143381
Too many pokemon to keep track of/give a shit about. 151 was just enough so that people could come to know them all, and feel like they could actually catch them all. After gen 2 there were just too many, and it became hard to give a shit about most of them.
>>
>>27147252
Spinarak, Ariados, Venonat, Venomoth, Meowth, Persian, Sneasel, Murkrow, Houndour just of the top of my head.

Morning only though, I only recall Ledyba and Ledian.
>>
Nobody bought the Game Boy Advance
>>
This whole Gen V=meme is stupid. Is it because they introduced all new mons and you couldn't catch your precious old gen mons until postgame?
>>
>>27143381
I never figured out how to get the regis without the Internet and rage quit.
>>
>>27147953
genwunners give G/S/C a pass cause you can go back to Kanto and battle Red aka the bestest trainer evar!
>>
>>27147130
I didn't have an older brother, but I can relate to you quite a bit in spite of that.

I went through similar stuff, but not really with Pokemon. When Pokemon came out, I was already 12 years old, so... by the time gen 2 came out and I was going into high school, I really didn't care if other people liked what I liked anymore. Oh sure, I tried "being what other people wanted so they would like me," but that never included any kind of real intimacy. It was all pretense. Fake, shallow. Once I figured THAT out in 11th grade, I just started being myself and enjoying life, leisure, and slightly less illegitimate friends.

Now I'm 30 with next to no friends, though. The fun truly stops for most people once you reach 26.

Get married young if you can.
>>
My brother was 11, and I was 6 when RS came out. He had played through Yellow, and I was just barely functioning when GS came out. I played on his old yellow game, and then he passed me down gold when he beat it. I never beat Gen 1 or 2 until the remakes. Gen 3 was the first region I was there for for the release. Brother stopped playing after 3. This is probably why I enjoy 1, 2, and 3 pretty equally. 4 was shite until platinum saved it.
>>
>>27157867
This whole post is a reminder to never follow the shit advice from millenial 30 year olds.
>>
>bw2 are bad games
how to spot a retard 101
>>
File: colosseum.png (90KB, 562x512px) Image search: [Google]
colosseum.png
90KB, 562x512px
>>27153622
>introduction to double battles
>wireless trading and battles
>talent shows
>improved safari zone
>secret bases with your own in-game NPC on your friend's game
>superior upgrade to phone with the PokeNav
>BMX and racing bicycles
>deep sea exploration
>best girl
>best champion
>mixed variety of terrain with desert, mountains, ocean, forests, caverns, swamp, beaches, and islands
>legendary trio puzzle solving
>mystery gift used for rare events
>Battle Frontier
And I can cherry pick the shit from Gen 2 and Gen 1 if you like. The series started dying off in Gen 5 when it appealed to MUH STORY spergs.
>>
>>27143389
/thread
>>
File: P25E-shipwreck.jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
P25E-shipwreck.jpg
52KB, 600x450px
>>27158488
Hell, I forgot to mention Gen 3 introduced overworld weather and weather-related abilities, with weather-causing moves. And the large dedication to ocean exploring made way for a different kind of adventuring. The only mistake was not adding a bit more variety to the wild water types if they emphasized water routes.
>>
The fad died by the time gen 3 hit North America, got replaced by Yugioh or whatever shit was on Saturday morning TV. Kids who grew up playing gen 1+2 thought it was gay.

I actually nearly dropped the series after gen 5 despite being on the hype train. By the time it was out I was embarrassed about Pokemon again and didn't have money to fucking buy a DS, a new game, or a charger.
>>
>>27157625
I was able to do it as a 9 year old without any aide.
Now I can't because I have become a babyshit casual and can't solve it without googling it.
>>
File: HNI_0047.jpg (297KB, 426x282px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0047.jpg
297KB, 426x282px
>>27158165
(You)
>>
>>27143381
Because normies dropped it when high school rolled around because they didn't want to be "uncool". RSE' performance was irrelevant.

Those normies parrot that "Gen 3 was the death of pokemon" because they don't want to admit that they stopped liking something because it became unpopular.
>>
>>27158569
Weather moves not named Hail were from Gen 2.

Everything else you said was Gen 3, though.
>>
Gen 3 will forever be irredeemable trash.
>>
File: Shhh.jpg (82KB, 960x504px) Image search: [Google]
Shhh.jpg
82KB, 960x504px
>>27158902
>>
>>27158902
Not as bad as Gen 5 and 2.
>>
>>27143400
>Based Satoru Iwata uses his precious time so gen 2 can have the Kanto region as well, he spend time finding ways to save memory in order to do so
>Gen 3 is basically like: HURP DURP FUCK THE PAST
>>
>>27158919
Thank you, it's great to live in a free country and be allowed to have opinions of my own.
>>
>>27143381
Where I'm from, everyone lover gen 3 and praises it as the best and their favorite. People lost interest when gen 4 came out is what I see, at least.
>>
>>27158955
>Gen 3 is basically like: HURP DURP FUCK THE PAST
It targeted a newer demographic. FireRed/LeafGreen were the sympathy cards for the remaining loyal fans.
>>
reminder
>>
>>27143381
Gen 4 was the one that killed my interest.
>>
>No backwards compatibility
>No way to catch them all meaning some of your favorites might not be available
>Removal of Day and Night
>Removal of week days and daily events
>Removal of Radio and Phone features
>Evil teams had absolutely ridiculous goals
>Abilities made some pokemon way more annoying to deal with
>Heavy focus on legendaries in the story
>Water
>Trumpets
>The only things you can explore are the water routes which are a whole lot of nothing
>Some events would never happen but you had no way of knowing that
>Regi puzzle is cryptic bullshit no kid would know about
>No postgame area
>No supertrainer like Red
>Battle Tower only has lvl 50 and lvl 100 options
>Some areas like the Safari Zone require a pokeblock case and getting it wasn't exactly obvious.
>Feebas being stupidly difficult to find and evolve
>Rock Smash is an HM
>Punished players who wanted to use the pokemon caught in the hot areas by adding a ton of much better water types later on
>diving was underwhelming, you moved at snails pace and had only 3 variations of pokemon
Emerald eventually tried to fix this mess but RS are probably the worst games in the series.
>>
>>27159250
RS aren't worse than DP m8.
>>
>>27159289
I haven't played DP in years so I won't deny it, I should probably do a side to side comparison one day.
>>
>>27158925
This Gen V=bad meme needs to die
>>
File: 1450145822066.gif (12KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1450145822066.gif
12KB, 500x500px
>>27143381
It became "uncool" to like Pokemon as all the Pokemania kids hit puberty and suddenly tried to put away their toys and look cool. Gen 3 took a small but noticeable hit in popularity because of that.

Even so, gen 3 was the generation that made the most improvements to the franchise, and is historically the most important generation outside of Gen 1.
>>
>>27158902
But it's objectively better than gen 1, 2 or 4.
>>
>>27159367
Gen V needs to die.
>>
>>27143397
this. also the games/pokemon just looked terrible
>>
>>27159414
>Even so, gen 3 was the generation that made the most improvements to the franchise
Try gen 2.

>gen 3 is historically the most important generation outside of Gen 1.
Whatever the fuck that means. Who gets to decide that, autismo? What criterion? Sales? Your ass?
>>
>>27159525
>Whatever the fuck that means. Who gets to decide that, autismo? What criterion? Sales? Your ass?
The fact that Gen 3 is the basic framework that every gen since has been built on. Just like Gen 2 was fundamentally a re-tooled gen 1, Gen 4 and onward are all fundamentally built on Gen 3's mechanics.
>>
These fucking spergs are trying to argue it had something to do with the games not being good enough, but that's bullshit. A lot of people didn't even play RSE, because the pokemon craze was simply wearing off. The original fans were growing up, and the anime became garabage. That's all it was.
>>
>>27153648
Well, considering that OR/AS made the rather shitty story actually decent...
>>
>>27159613
>mechanics

There's a huge difference between "all subsequent games were built off of gen 3 Pokemon data structures," and that shit you just said. How the game compiles your Pokemon is a small part of the game.

Single battles have been largely the same since gen 1. If anything,
gen 6's megas were the biggest shake-up.

Gen 3 gave us double battles, but they barely used them. If anything, they only became commonplace exclusively in gen 5.

Weather, day/night and calendar, move tutors, Dark & Steel, breeding, genders, egg moves, battle tower, separate regional pokedex, pokemon friendship, hold items and berries, Special Defense, Pokerus, fixing OHKO and critical hits, AND ON AND ON IT GOES. All gen 2 ideas. Gen 3 gave us abilities, Hail (literally Ice Sandstorm, wow), double battles, and changed the behind-the-scenes math that most people didn't even care about until gen 6.

Gen 2 was historically the biggest single upgrade the series ever had, and is the most important after gen 1.
>>
>>27143614
>>27147385
>endlessly cloning shit in Emerald
That shit was my jam, had two boxes of Deoxys from the event.
>>
because it was the best thing to happen
people don't want good things, you see
just like people wanted 6th gen to be bad forever
>>
Does anyone know how I can mod a pokemon gold ROM without losing my save data
Thread posts: 168
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.