[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you think Pokemon GO is so popular? Try to avoid arguing,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: pokemongo.png (319KB, 1261x237px) Image search: [Google]
pokemongo.png
319KB, 1261x237px
Why do you think Pokemon GO is so popular?

Try to avoid arguing, I'm genuinely curious.
>>
Its free pokemon. Thats it. Its easily accessible.
>>
>>27126873
Some are into it for the nostalgia, some are into it because it's the cool new things, some play it because they're YouTube gamers, some play it because their favourite YouTube gamer plays it, some play it because they're genuinely into Pokémon.
>>
>>27126944
True, but so was Shuffle.
>>
>>27126873
Real Life Social Interaction, something that Facebook and Instagram is unable to provide.
>>
>>27126944
Pretty much. Nearly everybody has a smartphone and access to the app store, not everyone owns a handheld console like a 3DS to play Pokémon games on.
>>
Smartphone platform.

If it were anywhere else.
>>
>>27126873
It's Pokemon on cell phones. Everyone has a mobile device, it's free to play, and it's appeal extends to anyone who played RBY. They nailed the hipster quasinostalgia faggots nice and hard.
>>
>>27126873
It's free, it's on mobile so almost anyone can get it.
It's pokemon, and people like to follow fads.
It's pretty easy to see why it's so popular.
>>
>>27126961
in pokemon shuffle you weren't exploring the real world looking for pokemon and taking gyms. this is the closest we've come to actually be able to be trainers in real life so far
>>
>>27126958

I'm genuinely into Pokemon, and I don't think the game is that great. I live in a rural area though.
>>
File: 1450814507476.png (462KB, 565x705px) Image search: [Google]
1450814507476.png
462KB, 565x705px
Here ya go OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aHewPFKf4k
>>
>>27126988
>mfw they do a mewtwo distribution when you own an NX
>>
>>27127384
It seems like it'd be more fun to play in cities or towns that have more pokestops. I live in the countryside and while it's nice to have a more authentic experience wandering around the lack of wifi, shit pokemon compared to other regions and no people to interactive with kills the fun pretty quickly.
>>
>>27127465
Normies would be pissed beyond belief
>>
It's free, damn near anyone can play it on their smartphones, and it's tapping right into that nostalgia hook. Everyone who was 6-10 when RBY came out (including myself) are old enough to drive ourselves around. On top of that, not only is it Pokemon, but it's the most iconic Pokemon and the ones that were played the most by people our age. Your random 25 year old dude may not know all the Eeveelutions, but he sure has hell remembers "Flareon and the water and electric one", and as soon as he sees them he's gonna go "ohhhhh shiiiiiit this is what I'm talking about". And then he'll find Paras which was his favorite when he was a kid, and then because every girl 16-24 now is omg so quirky and nerdy they'll just hop on it for attention if they don't already love Pokemon

tl;dr It's nostalgia and if they had Pokemon that only 90's kids wouldn't remember it wouldn't be popular.
>>
>free?
Yes
>accessible?
Yes. A large majority of people have smartphones at this point.
>good target demo?
Yes. Kids who are new/novices in the series up to the now adults who were kids playing RBY.
>pandering?
Yes. Gen 1 will always attract lapsed or causal fans. For better or worse it's what it is.
>addicting?
Eh. Arguable. The collect em all thing has always been a way to make sure people get hooked.
>rewarding?
Again arguable. People are, essentially, get irl achievements to go outside, get fit, and maybe socialize in the form of stronger/rare pokémon.

Basically it's a recipe for success. The true test will be to see if it has any lasting power. Especially if when they add pokémon from gens 2-6(and 7).
>>
>>27126873
HUGE install base, Android and iOS devices are everywhere.
Loads of brand recognition combined with the cultural idea that apps are different than video games and don't have the same stigma: people who would buy a handheld and the games will play it, and people who would never buy a handheld or games, but still recognize the brand and have any kind of positive opinion on it, will also play it.
Also, the app actually reflects the Pokemon branding. Instead of just applying character faces and names on otherwise generic kinds of games, Pokemon Go has creatures in the wild and an incentive to move and explore, which has been central since the beginning.
>>
>>27126944
This free and has a watered down aspects of the regular main series game and it's more interacting desu
>>
>>27126873
>POKEMO GO HACK!
>picture of a bike

Why does that have any views?
>>
>>27127005
I just wish I could have seen this coming a week ago. Could have made some serious cash.
>>
>glass skateboard
Why even?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.