[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this what 1996 was like? Everyone has Pokemon Go. Adults

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15

File: 1467758575384.png (176KB, 381x410px) Image search: [Google]
1467758575384.png
176KB, 381x410px
Is this what 1996 was like?

Everyone has Pokemon Go. Adults and kids alike are going outside and asking people they dont know about pokemon locations. My local pizza shop offers discounts to people on Team Valor. Friends are going in groups hunting pokemon on my college campus.

Pokemon is making news headlines again, but not just for new game releases. Its something everyone is doing and the adoption is so big that there are PSAs on how to be safe when going outside. Even the police are going to pokestops and lures to catch pokemon.

PoGo made Pokemon Great Again
>>
No.

It was pretty much entirely restricted to the kids
>>
File: Ash,_Brock_and_Misty_disgusted.jpg (20KB, 480x364px) Image search: [Google]
Ash,_Brock_and_Misty_disgusted.jpg
20KB, 480x364px
>>27114553
>Is this what 1996 was like?
Nah. It was only out in Japan in '96. The games came out in the US in about '97, I believe, but I don't think PokeMania really hit until '98.

Trust me. It was much, much worse in '98.
>>
>>27114553
And once again it's because of gen 1. Hmm, makes you think...
>>
File: 1467525463784.jpg (59KB, 550x617px) Image search: [Google]
1467525463784.jpg
59KB, 550x617px
>>27114553
Its really nice that this franchise can still connect people (its intended purpose since its inception) years later. No matter if people played all the games, some of the games, or just watched the show. I feel like a kid again.
>>
>>27114553
>Pizza Shop offers discounts to team valor
Time to get some c4 and stop this
>>
>>27114553
As a nostalgiafag, I can tell you that it wasn't like this.

I've been giving it a lot of thought lately, and I prefer things the way they are right in this very moment.

I don't even care that the "normies" have an interest in Pokemon at the moment. I just want everyone to enjoy Pokemon. I want people to play the games and be happy, and I want people to look forward to what Gamefreak may bring us in the future.

The only things I wish were brought back were Blockbusters and Gaming magazines.
>>
>>27114553
>Is this what 1996 was like?
Yeah, except instead of cell phones, it was Gameboys, cards, toys, and such. I'm 30 now, but it was a lot of fun back then when every child and many adults all wanted in on the fun.
>>
>>27114664
>I want people to play the games and be happy, and I want people to look forward to what Gamefreak may bring us in the future
So you want the 90s back after all.
>>
No 1996 sucked

This is so much better. Living in the downtown of a particularly stabby and shooty city it has been amazing to talk to people with face tattoos about where to find eevees and shit.
>>
>>27114652
Joel pls
>>
>>27114582
Adults were going insane too, but it was mostly because they were getting pokemon shit for their kids. Burger kings would run out of toys within hours and you better believe there were crying children and yelling parents.
>>
No. Liking video games or pokemon wasnt as accepted as it is now
You were bullied for liking either.
>>
>>27114925
That wasn't 1996, that was 2002
>>
>>27114553
not a single neckbeard back then
>>
>>27114664
Laughing at a coworker playing the game who doesn't even know what a Rattata is outside of Purple and Looks Evil.
>>
>>27114925
I guess if you played it in high school at the time you might have been made fun of. The craze was mostly focused around kids though and I don't remember any of the other 2nd graders giving anyone shit over it. Everyone played pokemon, collected the cards, and watched the show, everyone.

I agree though that if Pokemon GO was released as early as 5 years ago it would not be nearly so acceptable for normal people to obsess over. I'm playing this game with 40 year old coworkers for fucks sake.
>>
>>27114925
You have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>27114925
It's generally tied to age, but being bullied for Pokemon started after gen 2 for OGs.
>>
File: natty valor.png (49KB, 273x190px) Image search: [Google]
natty valor.png
49KB, 273x190px
>>27114553
>My local pizza shop offers discounts to people on Team Valor.
I bet with complimentary Natty Ice.
>>
>>27115878
Holy shit. I wish someone would do that here.
>>
>>27114626
It's not because of Gen 1, it's because of accessibility
>>
>>27114750
eat my ass vinny you jabroni
>>
>>27114565
>>27114582
>>27114616
>>27114742
Uhh actually in 1996 pokemon was massive, kids and teenagers people in there 20's loved pokemon and the TCG was huge
>>
>>27115994
Not even in Japan. Since the TGC didn't even exists in 1996. Are you enjoying your fourteenth birthday OP?

>>27115069
Being bullied in middle school during the advance generation for playing pokemon was normal. It was something so tied to being a kid, to elementary school, that it was bound to go out of fashion. In Japan, where it was socially acceptable to play pokemon at any age, it never did.
But alas, I can't shake the feeling that this isn't an healty pokemania. Back then we were a bunch of kids having fun, now it's a bunch of people playing either because 90s nostalgia or because the game has just gone viral at this point. But it won't change that the game is popular free cash grab, so anyone interested in the future of the series should be fucking worried.
>>
>>27114553
Nope. Original pokemania was more massive
>>
>>27114553

in 90' pokemon were banned at schools and church was against them and people were mocking from it... literally...
>>
>>27116265

and they just died after gen 2 or during gen 2 for some reason... I don't know why, but they started being less popular
>>
>>27115994
Nope. The craze was roughly around 98 for the US.

The show didn't even air in the US till Sept of 98.
>>
>>27116146
I have seen groups of young kids walking around catching pokemon.

I think its the first big resurgence of players, since it seemed to me the only people who touched gens 3 ownwards were those who were at the right age to get into pokemon when gen 1 came out.

So the generation of kids (who are probably now in there late teens) who had older siblings playing pokemon probably didn't touch it much.

But this new generation of kids, young teens 12~15, who are getting into PoGo, are in a similar situation to us at the time. Every single one of their friends play it, everyone is talking about it.

Brings a tear to my eye... but also worries me.

I worry about young kids being encouraged by the game to walk off school property in search of a charmander they really want, and that's not something we want happening.
>>
>>27116158
yes, it was more massive, but most didnt have a gameboy
>>
Not at all
>>
>>27114553
Yes, its almost the same as in '98 Except it didnt include adults back then.
The only thing lacking is endless advertisements on TV with pokemon in cereals, McDonalds, yogurt, notebooks, toys at every corner nd it lasted at least two years like that
>>
>>27116356
i would argue that the craze it currently has on the internet and its various outlets is fairly equivalent to all of that.
>>
It's kinda like what 1998 was like but it's not as crazy yet.
>>
>>27116395
Not that guy, but I didn't even factor the Internet and social media.
>>
>>27114553
This is nothing compared to the pokemania that started around 1997-98, which was much more massive.

To begin with, not everything was about the games back then. The show, the TCG, all kinds of merchandise, were everywhere and they were popular about both kids and adults. Not only that, but it was the time most controversies around the franchise arose, the ones about Jynx, Porygon and Kadabra being the most famous ones (and let's not forget the many priests and religious people who claimed pokémon was evil). And on top of that stuff, most people didn't have internet back then. Information was scarce, and that led to the creation of myths and stories about pokemon, especially around the games. Pokemon was more than a fad back then. It became part of our culture.

While Pokémon Go is doing a good job bringing people together, I really doubt it will last. People nowadays grow out of things more quickly than they did in the 90's, simply because there are a lot more options available. Pokemon Go will most likely become big, but in the end it'll be just a fad that won't last as long as the pokemania fad did.

Now, don't take me as a nostalgiafag. As charming as the 90's were, they also were shitty for a lot of reasons. Again, I think the pokemania fad lasted for so long back then just because there weren't many other things like it, and because in many countries the 90's were a decade in which everything was blown out of proportion.

Although I also miss renting movies and video game magazines
and playing DD in my friend's parent's basement
And waiting for the new episode of beverly hills 90210
>>
Well all the people who loved the original are playing it because it was part of your childhood. They have managed to get everyone who ever played the game put this app on there phone. No need for the gameboy or go out and get the game from a shop, the availability is what has made it so popular
>>
>>27114553
Not at all. 98/99 was a magical time where Pokemon was cultural phenomenon and children across the globe were enamoured with a new franchise. Literally everywhere and everything had something Pokemon related.

This Pokemon Go thing is just a bunch of casual 20-somethings indluging in nostalgia and playing videogames in the street, its like the cancer of the Nintendo Wii but mobilized. Very disgusting, adults should know better.
>>
>discount
>valor
Your pizza shop owner is a fucking normie
>>
Pokemon was extremely social at school, the cards more so then the video game.
All lunch and recess you walked around viewing other peoples collections, making trades with other people, battling other people with your cards to win their cards, people with rare cards were quite popular and people would come upto you and ask to see your rare card.

You didn't need money to start, people that couldn't afford cards or had strict parents would just beg for some spare common cards that you most likely had triples of and if they weren't dumb they'd work their way up.

The actual gameboy video game you would probably play with 2-3 friends watching you while discussing tactics of where to get good pokemon how to make them strongest etc.

The digimon devices were very similar, lots of people battling each other.
I remember I was the first person to learn how to hack the digivice to instantly get extremely rare digimon that usually took 21 days to grow (tab cheating for those who remember)
And holy shit I literally had the whole school surrounding me with people thrusting their digivices into my hands begging me to hack them an argumon or whatever the fuck they were called I got so many girlfriends back in school simply from being the best at pokemon/digimon.. good times lol
>>
>>27116528
This. The people that downloaded the game is most of the people that liked pokemon in the 90's, so it less people than the 90's by definition.
>>
File: yugi jugando al poker.png (136KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
yugi jugando al poker.png
136KB, 320x240px
>>27116622
>You didn't need money to start, people that couldn't afford cards or had strict parents would just beg for some spare common cards that you most likely had triples of and if they weren't dumb they'd work their way up.
In my country that wasn't the case. I remember playing once and the game was helluva fun. But at the same time the cards were expensive as fuck and less than 6 kids in school had the cards. Also I remember Charizard being expensive as hell and everybody talked about it.

I could afford the Yu-gi-oh cards later, but they were shit. Nobody knew how to play, everybody cheated and everyone had the best cards because piracy. In the last days, people printed cards.

Sucks to live in the third world :(
>>
>>27116146

>that reading comprehension
>those deduction skills
Obviously if Op is asking he wasnt around and wouldnt know the exact moment in time it would have been when "pokemania" happened. And yes it was huge, among kids and among teenagers and people in there 20's. But of course you know exactly what it was like in the U.S. and in Japan dont you.
>>
>>27114553
Sadly, I was around for pokemania, but don't remember it well. And unfortunately, now I'm a loser with a shit phone that can't download the current big hit.
Aside from that, there are some issues with the current surge of popularity as others said. The main draws are nostalgia and "everyone's doing it" syndrome.
My younger female cousin who was always annoyed by pokemon suddenly has interest just because everyone else is into it. I don't think this is an audience that will last. Plus, the games free, I suspect maybe 2% (at most) of people who downloaded Pokémon Go will actually stay with the franchise and start buying the main games.
The merchandise however I suspect will become somewhat popular again, mostly plushies and accessories like bracelets and keychains. For whatever weird reason, people like displaying their fandom more than actually participating in it a lot of the time.
>>
>>27114553
No, it wasn't completely autistic, and when it was, it was actually fun. You know, except for being the kid who wasn't allowed a Game Boy and had to watch his friends play them instead, which was SO easy with the amazing backlight on the original Game Boy and indeed the superior backlight on the Game Boy Color.
>>
>>27116730
Damn that stinks man, I never afforded cards either I started with a few cards my friends gave me and made good trades, in my entire time playing with poke cards I managed to buy 2 $5 booster packs eventually from saving up every penny.

They had fake cards here, they were pretty easily distinguishable here and most people didn't want them.
>>
File: 1439320337272.jpg (51KB, 627x474px) Image search: [Google]
1439320337272.jpg
51KB, 627x474px
>>27114553
I've played the games each gen ever since gen 1 first came out and no, from my experience it was never considered "cool". I clearly remember being made fun of many times for liking pokemon (among other things like anime). This was a time that it was considered shameful to be into that type of stuff so I had to learn to like it in secret. Today I see all these people my age who barely know anything about gen 1 acting like they are the biggest fans. It sickens me. Make it stop.
>>
>>27116935
With the pokemon cards, I never seen fakes. But with yugi's, most have fake. If you had the originals you were dumb as fuck.

Yes it was sad, I wish I have played the gameboy game when it was out. At least I enjoyed later in my PC in 2005, when I downloaded the emulator No$GBA lol.
Thank god when I was still a kid, my parents could buy me a bey blade (a fake one). Then they bought me a spin blade, they were considered the originals. I had lots of fun with those. Later I got a bey blade that came with Lays (the french fries). It was called trompower.
We had great fun combining and exchanging parts of the bey blade, and I managed to get one of the bests. I tuned it up with the best parts!
So yeah, my childhood ended being a good one afterall.
>>
I'm happy that my child-like dream from years ago is coming to fruition where almost everyone is enjoying Pokemon. What I'm worried about is the fact that Nintendo or Gamefreak might get some bad ideas from this insane reception to push out more mobile games to the point where they'll cause some sort of disaster.
>>
>>27115994
This. Although there was WAY less adults than right now. Right now it's getting ridiculous.
>>
just by the very first sentence of the op and it's accompanying pic i can tell you're a moron and you need to end yourself
>>
>>27117047
lol
>>
>>27116622
Man that brings me back
I had a friend when I was 10-11 who'd walk down the the local game shop with me every other day or so after school, and we'd pool our money and buy a couple booster packs of Pokemon cards. We'd split the rare ones, alternating between each time we bought a couple packs.
Shit was so sweet.
>>
>>27114553
No. Believe it or not but the initial craze was bigger.
>global and not just limited to just USA like Go is
>extremely popular video game, anime, trading cards AND merchandise and not just a video game
>lasted several years and not a month like Go most likely will
>although not a fad anymore the franchise remained popular enough to go strong for 20 consecutive years
I'll let you sink that in for a moment.
>>
>>27114664
>want people to look forward to what Gamefreak may bring us in the future
If you think any of the Go normies are going to pick up a 3DS and Sun/Moon this November then I have some bad news for you
>>
>>27114553
It seems more widespread, but also more controlled than last time.

I've seen entire families playing, a middle-aged couple trying to find Pokemon in the park, and even an EMT parked behind a gym trying to take it. On the other hand, we don't have Pokemon cereal, pop tarts, spaghetti-o's, ect.

It felt bigger last time because it was everywhere, but I feel like more people are in on it this time. Kids and adults alike are playing, and that wasn't true before.
>>
>>27114553
> 1997
> idiots tell us poke'mon will beget evil
> we laugh
> 2016
> people mugging poeple at poke'stops

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3093523/security/muggers-used-pokemon-go-to-lure-victims-police-say.html

Well, I mean its not as bad as people jacking your cards on the playground, but i guess it's sort of the same.
>>
>>27114553
>1996
well no, it wasn't out in the west then

but from 1998 to early 2000s, yeah, it was huge. It's kinda cool seeing it happen all over again. It might well be bigger this time if the Go fad holds out for long enough, because there are way more adults (all the first wave kiddies that grew up) interested in it than last time
>>
Tbh Pokemon Go is a shit game. I am hopeful that it lifts sales for SuMo, since the main games are really the heart and soul of Pokemon.

I fucking hate genwun shit -- it pisses me off to no end that PoGo is focused solely on the first gen. All this nostalgiafaggotry does is reinforce the idea that anything post gen 1 "isn't pokemon".

Gen 2 was incredible, Gen 3 has slowly become peoples favourites, the newest Gens lifted the game itself to something more.
>>
>>27114553
It's an autistic short lived fad for losers, so yes
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 500x375px
I can't wait for this normie GO fad to die out most of these filthy casuals have never even played a real pokemon game it makes me wanna puke at this normie cancer
>>
>>27114553
The boom didn't happen until 98-99.

We will have to give it time to see if go brings Pokemon to the level where you can make a decent business just from buying and selling cards.

This is nowhere near Pokeboom levels but it's nice being able to talk about Pokemon again
>>
File: Flameon.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Flameon.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
>>27119986
>yfw everyone is an uneducated GOfag and knows nothing of the franchise
>everyone
>>
>>27114553
LMAO how old are you??? legal??
>>
>>27114553
I've had people walk up to me and discuss pokemon even before Go was a thing. Pokemon is still a huge phenomenon. Hell I have a Pikachu nanoblock on my desk at work in a government agency and my coworkers think it's cute. A friend of mine was approached by a complete stranger who asked if he could help evolve his kadabra.

Don't give too much credit to Go. It's been out not even a week. Remember how huge Overwatch was? Now it's lost a majority of its players already. The same will happen here.

The news are just media using Go as a buzz topic to get clicks for their articles. Police have been concerned about multiple apps in regards to safety, especially when driving. And security concerns, with people having access to your Google account and being able to stalk pokestops to commit crimes, are not exactly something they'd want talked about.

Pokémon is what is popular. Not Go. Normies just needed an excuse to play pokemon again that either is nostalgic pandering or is a huge fad. Because to them, liking pokemon outside gen one isn't 'cool'.
>>
>>27120116
I was out taking gyms with another instinct I met last night and had to hold back going on an autismal rant on her mispronouncing the names of every single damn pokemon

>Pidg it
>Daw Dry Oh
>O Dish
>Pine Sir
>Golden
>Gast Lie
>>
File: Screenshot_20160712-154320.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160712-154320.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
So I was driving around looking for gyms and pokestops and found this.
I can already see people being accused of pedophilia for loitering around the park lel
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 759x1092px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 759x1092px
>sitting at a college campus with like 20 other random kids because a lure is down
>drunk dude walks by and yells at us for all being virgins
90's as fuck
>>
No, 1996 was different, pokemon at the time was a new thing, it was an expansive world with challenges you can't overcome, people you can't beat, friends and foes, nobody knew how to practice pokemon eugenics at the time, the internet was useless and information was hard to come by, there was always a clever nerd who could beat your overpowered magmar with his butterfree and completely blow you away with the strategies that seemed impossible for someone like you to comprehend or pull off.

Pokemon go is a fad, it's a game about walking, and occasionally pushing a button and spending 20 bucks, it's literally just neopets portable
>>
No, it had a more popluar show, toys, and kids to teens played it/wacthed the show. This.... is something different. Its not fucking better though. At least we played a real fucking game. Not to say the new game wont sell millions again, more or normal.
>>
>>27120596
Oh and the card game which was ten times bigger than this
>>
>>27120651
>Oh and the card game which was ten times bigger than this
The TCG was never this big. Not even during the boom.
>>
>>27120385
This is nothing like the 90s , everyone is fucking playing. moms are fucking playing it when back in the day they would sayns stop playing that shit.
>>
>>27120692
You are fucking retard or have no idea.
>>
>>27115878
>Natty ICE
>not team articuno
baka
>>
>>27120752
It was never that big and this is coming from someone who had their cards stolen back in the day.
>>
>>27114553
I've seen bars offer free shots to Mystics and some bars offer free shots to Valors

I haven't seen anyplace offer anything to instinct yet. Being instinct is suffering
>>
>>27114553
Nah, more like 1998 when all my friends were actually playing the TCG and the regular games as well. The day we found out about Missigno was absolute mayhem.
>>
REEEEEEE NORMIES!
Maybe this is your chance to talk to an actual girl and get actually laid
>>
>>27114553
why do i have the feeling that this is cropped from some porn?
>>
File: 1462505088777.png (95KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1462505088777.png
95KB, 640x480px
>>27116730
>Nobody knew how to play

The fucking struggle, man.
>>
This is bigger than Pokemania, objectively
>>
>>27116265
Psychic Pokemon undermine the power of God. Psychics are witches and witches are from Satan. I'm worried about every lost soul on this board.
>>
1996 was around when the anime came out. KFC had beanie babies. I wasn't even into pokemon yet until like 1998-2000 and got made fun of for being two years too late, at 10 years old.
>>
>>27122592
>talking to girls to get laid
beta bitch boi detected
>>
>>27117418
Fucking this
>>
>>27120248
>>O Dish
This is correct tho
>>
>>27122592
>an actual girl
Holy shit i'm triggered!
>>
>>27114553
Kinda neat, but I never really cared about Pokemon GO but I guess it's cool to see a franchise you like get so much hype
>>
>>27117003
Man, remember the slightly fuzzy paper backs on counterfeit YGO cards? The smooth backs on the originals can't compare.
>>
File: 1468191985791.gif (606KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1468191985791.gif
606KB, 500x363px
What is the most hotly contested Gym in your Area?

My BART Station rotates eternally between Blues Reds and Yellows every few hours.
>>
File: 432px-MagnetonBaseSet9.jpg (72KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
432px-MagnetonBaseSet9.jpg
72KB, 432x600px
>>27114553
Pokemon didn't get big in EU until around '99, and fuck no it wasn't like this, it was a kids and early teens phenomenon back then
In case it wasn't obvious to everyone, the one reason this shit is getting out of hand now is people who were kids in the late 90s are now adults
>>
>>27114553
>Team Valor subsists on greasy junk-food

smhtbh
>>
In 1996 people stole your cards when you weren't looking.

In 2016 they steal your phone at gunpoint.
>>
File: comic146.png (269KB, 650x1268px) Image search: [Google]
comic146.png
269KB, 650x1268px
>>27116974
If you were in US elementary and early middle school at the height of Gen 1, it was absolutely cool. The TCG was serious business that everyone wanted in on, anime was just kicking into high gear thanks to Pokémon and Toonami, every gas station and unrelated store had Pokémon stuff... These were the golden days.

By the time it got to Gen 3, though, the craze was well and truly dead. I remember getting mocked for it around that point. It stayed big, but it had deflated from true mania levels.

>>27117859
This. Although I could see it maybe becoming a gateway to a similar phenomenon, with businesses doing Go-specific promos, the sheer novelty of this very Japanese property hitting the west will never return. We're inured to Cool Japan by this point.

>>27120248
Maybe she just straight-up can't read? I mean fuck, most of the Gen 1 names are pretty straightforward. And they're usually just puns based on other common words anyway.
>>
>>27126484
>Go-specific promos
I read that as "Go-specific pronouns" and thought "What madness had Tumblr wrought this time?!".
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.