[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's honestly hard to believe that these aren't from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 22

File: newspic-65998-thumb.png (225KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
newspic-65998-thumb.png
225KB, 1024x576px
It's honestly hard to believe that these aren't from another franchise.

I mean, "they don't even look like pokémon anymore" has been thrown around lightly for a long time but this in this case it's easy to see why someone would say that.
>>
File: xerneas and yveltal.jpg (1MB, 3840x1373px) Image search: [Google]
xerneas and yveltal.jpg
1MB, 3840x1373px
I'm honestly disappointed after the perfection that was Xerneas and Yveltal.

On the other hand, the box legends don't matter much if the game itself is fun. XY was shit even though it god tier designs.
>>
legendary pokemon always look strange. it's kind of the point. they aren't normal pokemon. i'm really tired of doing this same song and dance every gen.
>>
Literally digimon
>>
I think Solgaleo and Lunala's designs are fine but I legitimately thought Drampa was a Yokai Watch design when I first saw it.
>>
>>26986110
Exactly. Gen V had horrible designs and fantastic gameplay, and Gen VI had fantastic designs and horrible gameplay. Gen VII doesn't look too bad so far. I'm hoping for a decent balance, or, more optimistically, some greatness in both respects.
>>
>>26986110
What sucks is how Xerneas/Yveltal are probably the most irrelevant mascot legends to the game's plot. From Gen 3-5, the mascots were very important to the plot in the sense that their presence was felt throughout the game and were revered throughout various in the region, brought up by numerous NPCs at times.

Xerneas and Yveltal? They weren't even given a second thought until you find out that Team Flare is conveniently using them as a battery source for their weapon.
That's it. a measly power source.
>>
>>26986077
No, you're retarded.
>>
>>26986077
It hasn't been thrown around lightly, it's been used stupidly the same way your saying it now. Either you'll get used to the new additions or you can fuck off
>>
>>26986122
They at least matched the general looks of the pokémon from their generation. This ones don't even do that.
>>
>>26986177
>forgetting Lugia and Ho-oh
>>
>>26986177
Using the box legendaries as plot coupons is a cancer that should've died in Gen 3 when it was introduced. They should be relevant for stuff they did in the past, you know, like a LEGEND?
>>
>>26986374
I personally think Yveltal/Xerneas situation was worse because the evil team went after them anyways.

>>26986421
There were relevant for stuff they did in the past. Which is why the evil teams go after them anyways.
>>
File: 1467285975364.jpg (100KB, 413x506px) Image search: [Google]
1467285975364.jpg
100KB, 413x506px
>>26986077
"They don't even look like Pokemon" is the biggest fallacy anyone can spout because Pokemon can be literally anything. There's no set way a Pokemon can look, so why do these genwunners/normies always use this retarded argument?
>>
>>26986077
Pokemon don't look like pokemon. As with any design planning the first thing they probably say is "how can we make this generation look and feel different." They don't want every single generation to look the same. Look at all the pokemon revealed so far for SM. They are very different from any pokemon before but they look like they belong together. The same is true for every generation. Gen 2 was very different from Gen 1 and Gen 3 was so different it felt like a reboot. Some of it has to do with time. A pokemon designed today will look very different from one designed 10 or 20 years ago. New designers come in from college and they have different inspiration and sensibilities than the established designers at the company.

If Pokemon all looked the same you would complain about how they are just copying the same old pokemon so fuck you. You will never be happy you miserable cunt.
>>
>>26986290
>>26986342
>>26986482
>drones
GF could make a literal piece of shit pokémon and you'd be okay with it.

Hell, unlike Digimon they would be completely uncreative and just make a piece of shit with eyes and you'd eat it up with your "pokémon can be anything" excuse.
>>
>>26986528
See >>26986347.

Some consistency is always nice.
>>
>>26986528
This
>>
>>26986077
I'll never understand what people mean when they say "x doesn't look like a Pokemon anymore." Like, what does that even mean? It's not like GameFreak went out of its way to make a promise or commitment to stick to a certain style or anything, so where does the idea come from that "somehting doesn't look like a GF design" come from? What exactly constitutes a "GF design"? Name five things. There are always the idiots who think that Pokemon are supposed to be animals, despite the first gen--and the name Pocket """"""""Monsters"""""""" alone--establishing the contrary, and then there's the "looks like a Digimon" bunch. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.
>>
>Pokémon can be anything
This is why Game Freak doesn't care about making appealing designs anymore.

Fuck you all faggots that have no standards.
>>
>>26986374
Lugia and Ho oh lore were reference by many people throughout the region, and in Ecruteak especially.

Xerneas and Yveltal felt like a non-event until their reveal as a power source in the super weapon.

No great reveal, not mysterious ancient dungeon, etc
>>
>>26986077
Look like gen 4 legends mixed with gen 6 art direction. So. Still pokemon.
>>
>>26986077
The obkt Pokemon I've ever felt don't look like Pokemon are Chesnaught and Perfect Zygarde.
>>
>>26986535
If they did make a shit Pokemon I can still call it shit, anon. All I am saying is that the argument of "they don't look like Pokemon" is fundamentally wrong.
>>
>>26986600
*only
>>
>>26986583
Well, they're going to run out of animals to base them on eventually, and that's what fans seem to want the most--animals. I mean, there are several pinniped species of Pokemon, and people are up in arms about it as if GF is rehashing them or something despite there being 33 real life species of them to work with. And what about plants? Bellsprout was a literally cartoonized version of a pitcher plant, and fans were assbothered about Trevenant being a tree despite it having more things going for it design-wise than Gen 1 Pokemon like Bellsprout. I just...I dunno what else to say to you guys. You're a lost cause.
>>
>>26986623
>the argument of "they don't look like Pokemon" is fundamentally wrong
It's easier to say than "the designs have deviated too much from the accepted concepts to the point that they are almost unrecognizable". This doesn't need to be explained to most people.
>>
>>26986723
What are those accepted concepts? If Gen I and II constitute "accepted concepts," then GF should've stopped cranking out designs and ended the franchise ages ago. It's idiotic to think they weren't going to eventually branch out and/or change over time (although, I don't think much has changed at all; they've just found new inspiration). You can only slap the same looking eyes or appendages on a given design so many times; you're going to need to mix things up at some point or else everything will grow same-y and stale. There are so many interesting real-world animals, plants, and things to work with, most of which don't have same-y looking traits. Real wildlife is diverse, and so to should the Pokemon world.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 636x612px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 636x612px
>>26986482
No. It doesn't look like a pokemon if it doesn't look like it fits with the other hundreds of pokemon. Would this literal design look like a pokemon to you?

This argument would only be valid in gen 1 where there is no predefined trend for what a pokemon looks like.
>>
>>26986347
kyogre, groudon, and rayquaza have design features which are completely different from any other pokemon

the strange patterning on their bodies makes them stand out even amongst other legendaries.
>>
>>26986167
Gen 6's gameplay is across the board better than 5's, though.
>>
>>26986875
Nobody said that they have to stick with Gens 1 and 2, at least not me, they just have to know when they are going too far. Those two in the OP don't even fit in the previous Generation.

>Real wildlife is diverse, and so to should the Pokemon world
Yet we still don't have a proper Dolphin pokémon. You can also make pokémon based on fungi for generations without ever running out of cool designs. There's plenty of cool mythological creatures too. Game Freak doesn't even need to be that creative, they just need to get better taste. If something is exotic enough it doesn't need too many bells and whistles.
>>
File: skitty.jpg (29KB, 300x251px) Image search: [Google]
skitty.jpg
29KB, 300x251px
>>26986942
They look like toys, which is the general look of Gen III the most toyetic generation. Many of them look like they're toys made of plastic with unnatural joints/limbs, patterns and colors.

They even managed to make a cat look like that.
>>
>>26986993
>>26986914
>>26986347
How do previous Pokemon "fit" and "match the general look"?
>>
>>26986077
But they are pokemon, so that's what they look like
>>
>>26987081
Sounds to me like you were hoping they'd copypaste an real life cat into the games or something. Meowth and Persian filled that niche. Skitty mixed things up. It actually has more of a pocket monster feel than, say, the aforementioned Meowth, and I don't even like Skitty.
>>
>>26986535
>i don't have a single argument
>i know, i'll call them drones!
>>
>>26986693
>You're a lost cause

Agreed, they certainly are.
>>
If you mean "They look different then the first generation of pokemon" then I would agree with you. Twenty years will often change things and its probably for the best. Gen 1 had plenty of amazing designs, but it also had some pretty boring ones like Rapidash and Seaking. Not saying you cant enjoy those two, but they pretty much walked the line of basically just being an everyday animal.

Change is a good thing, but if you find yourself not enjoying what is being brought out, thats fine. Its fairly obvious they still have older pokemon so you can always just use those. That or maybe take a break from pokemon if you really find yourself getting upset.
>>
File: bleeding_tooth_fungus_7.jpg (119KB, 715x777px) Image search: [Google]
bleeding_tooth_fungus_7.jpg
119KB, 715x777px
>>26986693
See >>26986993.

Take Bellsprout and Trevenant's case. Bellsprout is exotic enough to most people that it only needs eyes and to walk funny. Trevenant has more effort put to it in theory but haunted trees with faces are a very tired idea. The key is to make something you don't see every day even if it's not that creative in theory, like a fuzzy yellow spider or a ball with magnets. Phantumb is better because even though it's just a ghost with a treestump at least you never see that regularly.

Most importantly, if you're basing it on something that is exotic enough that looks good already then DON'T FUCK WITH IT too much. Charizard is just an orange dragon with the tailtip on fire and that's why it's so popular. Feraligatr is a blue alligator that can walk, what more could you want?

Look, take this fungus. You could make it a bit cartoony and it would already be interesting to most people. Now combine it with a spider. There's a pokémon that looks cool and it didn't need much thinking!
>>
>>26987198
Sounds to me like you believe I'm some butthurt genwunner when I only explained what the general look of Gen III is, never said that it was bad. Delcatty is actually one of my favorites.

And bullshit, Meowth has been a mascot for years for a reason. You can't get more "feels like a pokémon" than one of the mascots.
>>
>>26987315
"wtf is this shit, it looks like a slice of cake" this is what you'll get.

Also even though it was an example you're wrong in dividing Trevenant and Phantump's "description". Though haunted trees with faces and treants are common, Trevenant is still what Phantump was. A ghost wearing a tree. Not a spectral tree. Good reason why it's Ghost/Grass and not Grass/Ghost.
>>
File: solgaleo.jpg (233KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
solgaleo.jpg
233KB, 1024x768px
>>26986077
I'll be riding on Sol's back and shouting "Strike Laser Claw" all day with no fucks given.

I actually love it specifically because it looks so unique.
>>
>>26987315
So basically pick things that don't need any thought or creativity put into them because they're already weird or zany enough on their own? Seems kinda lazy if you ask me. I personally like to create my own things with as much of my own creativity and imagination as possible in order to try and create something really unique, but whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>26986993
Kyogre is an Orca
Orcas are Dolphins

Stop this meme.
>>
>>26987448
>Orcas are dolphins
?
>>
>>26986077
As I always ask people: what, exactly, is a Pokemon supposed to look like?
>>
>>26987448
>Orcas are Dolphins
Stop THIS meme.
>>
>>26987420
My man.
>>
File: bleeding-tooth-fungus.png (744KB, 464x810px) Image search: [Google]
bleeding-tooth-fungus.png
744KB, 464x810px
>>26987416
>>26987423
Here's a better picture. Don't tell me that this wouldn't look rad as Hell on a spider.

Also, creativity doesn't mean shit if it looks bad. Trevenant *is* a ghost wearing a tree but it looks more the tree part than the ghost part. Like how Vanilluxe isn't a double ice-cream cone but it undeniably looks like a double ice-cream cone even if the concept behind it is more clever than that.
>>
>>26987463
>>26987520
It's in the family Delphinidae, also known as Ocean Dolphins
>>
File: Sukamon.png (115KB, 353x296px) Image search: [Google]
Sukamon.png
115KB, 353x296px
>>26986535
>unlike Digimon they would be completely uncreative and just make a piece of shit with eyes
>piece of shit with eyes
>unlike digimon

Nigger are you trolling? Sukamon's one of the early digimon designs and it's literally a piece of shit with eyes, a mouth and some hot topic jewelry.
>>
>>26987577
Looks yummy
>>
>>26987620
Yes, if it was a pokémon it wouldn't even have a mouth or accessories or even arms. It would be JUST a piece of shit with eyes and they would excuse themselves by claiming it isn't actually made of shit in the flavor text.
>>
File: bumpbro.png (111KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
bumpbro.png
111KB, 500x282px
>>26987541
>>
>>26986077
I just dislike how Solgaleo looks like every fucking Lion Pokemon we get in the game.
Lunala is basically Yvetal and Xerneas combined.
>>
>>26987665
>another argument reduced to "I don't like Vanillite"
>>
>>26986374
Lugia and Ho-oh were done perfectly, though.

They were talked about quite a bit, but a lot of it was in dialogue that wasn't forced. You went through Ecruteak, heard the legends, saw the burned tower and the Brass tower which you had no access to. You passed the Whirl Islands, which NPCs mentioned a sleeping giant in.

There was tons of foreshadowing, almost exclusively so. Added to the fact that they weren't mandatory encounters, and they felt much more "legendary", and less "saturday morning cartoon villains key to world domeenashun."
>>
>>26987420
>because it looks so unique
But you just confirmed that it doesn't with that picture AND that it looks stolen from another franchise.
>>
File: geckering-nicks.jpg (29KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
geckering-nicks.jpg
29KB, 600x300px
>>26987703
I was actually thinking of Muk and Voltorb.
>>
>>26987752
Well, unique for Pokemon. A bright white lion is certainly not the most common thing around. As for being stolen, well it's something stolen that I like so I don't mind. I can see why people would get these confused for another franchise, and I don't really care.
>>
>>26987698
>Lunala is basically Yvetal and Xerneas combined
I don't see it. It looks more like some demonic construct that a half-vampire protagonist has to defeat. Cool for an anime but isn't exactly what you'd expect from Pokemon.
>>
>>26986077
This is the first set of box pokemon that I dislike. I really, particularly dislike Lunala, its design looks so messy to me.

But, people seem to enjoy it. It seems pretty popular, so its a success even if I personally dont like it. I cant win them all, my taste isn't the end-all be-all determination of whats good and bad.

Still, I hate that ill have to stare at the thing all the time.
>>
>>26987710
Even when they became mandatory encounters, it was never in your face. People still talked about them as legends and had places in their honor, and they are encountered because they found you worthy based on your adventure, rather than you being worthy for no reason BEING the adventure.
>>
>>26987932
I got that feeling with Gen 4 and 5, but not so much Gen 6.

Gen 4 in particular built up the deity lore thing quite a bit, that build up was appropriate. Gen 5 had a much stronger arc in accordance with the legends.

Gen 6, ill admit I havent played as much through the main story, but I do not at all remember any build up whatsoever. There was a lot of focus on AZ and his ultima weapon, and the legends did technically tie into those, but those seemed to focus more on the Mega stones.
doesnt help that the story was balls blastingly bad. Not that the stories ever been even good in pokemon, but wow was it bad

I mainly like how Ho-Oh and Lugia were dealt with, beacuse of the innitiation aspect where you as a player have to actively find them. Being non-mandatory gives agency directly to the player. Being forced to encounter them doesnt.
>>
>>26987589
They look too different.

Compare to those two mammals that are exactly the same but evolved from different creatures in different parts of the world. I can't remember their names right now, they look gophers but more squirrel-like.

On another note, saber-tooth "cats" actually evolved from 3 different lineages.
>>
>>26987932
Yeah. Overall, legendaries have become underwhelming and less, I dunno, legendary. The legendary status is losing its charm.
>>
Considering the likely alchemy connections, I'm still convinced those two Pokemon are not natural, even with the being worshipped in ancient times stuff. Maybe they were once natural Pokemon who got forced into mechanized bodies, maybe some ancient fuck made ancient robots

But they honestly do not feel like they are organic
>>
>>26987981
I especially like how the only mandatory legendary in Platinum was Girantina who was subtly hinted at instead of Dialga and Palkia who were hyped up like crazy. Nice bait and switch.
>>
>>26987198
Watch your mouth when you speak of Meowth
>>
>>26986110
These two were honestly so well designed, i love it
>>
>>26990591
>subtly hinted at
That shit is the best. It's just that much rewarding when you finally find out what they were talking about. Too bad that the box art is a big spoiler.
>>
File: shiny version.gif (73KB, 400x376px) Image search: [Google]
shiny version.gif
73KB, 400x376px
Shiny of the sun legend
>>
I think they look nice. And after legendaries like Dialga and Palkia, these don't look THAT out of place I mean come on
>>
File: 1466140166638.jpg (88KB, 340x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466140166638.jpg
88KB, 340x480px
>>26991308
>>
>>26986077
Jesus you fags cry about everything. They look good.
>>
>>26991308
>>26991480
>they made that mistake before
>it isn't as bad if they do it again
I'll never understand this way of thinking. It's WORSE if they don't learn from their mistakes,
>>
>>26991579
So far this new generation looks like ass, in my opinion. It's like the games only advance in mechanics while everything else gets worse.
>>
>>26991639
the main thing I'm going to hate about this gen is if the game shows you what moves are super effective against mons
>>
>>26986077
Probably one of the better box legendaries we've gotten t b h.
>>
>>26991729
Do you not know the type chart already? Most have it committed to memory
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 250x272px
>>26986167
>Gen V had horrible designs

Simply epic.
>>
>>26991766
I do, but it's still hand holding as fuck

>>26991808

I know that feel, anon gen v is my favorite gen.
>>
You know, if you'd stop spoiling yourself every fucking gen and seeing all the Pokemon before the game comes out, you might have a better time playing.

I wish they didn't show 7 new Pokemon like they did last week.
I told myself after they showed the last Pokemon in X and Y I'd never look at another new Pokemon, because I wanted the game to retain it's freshness. Turns out the last one I showcased WAS the last Pokemon. There were only 70 of those fucks.
Goddman.

There's already like, 18 of these fuckers shown now.
Imagine if we only get 70 again. That means there's 52 left.
Fuck.

I need to leave.
>>
>>26987577
mega parasect confirmed
>>
>>26991857
see you tomorrow anon
>>
File: 1375129909800.jpg (25KB, 251x244px) Image search: [Google]
1375129909800.jpg
25KB, 251x244px
>>26991877
I do it to myself.
I know I do.
>>
>>26991893
don't worry anon,
just relax and remember:
you are here FOREVER
>>
>>26986077
I completely agree. It's always struck me as stupid, people saying "that doesn't look like a pokemon." But Solgaleo looks likes a straight up digimon. He's WhiteWarLeomon.
>>
>>26986122
That's entirely retarded.
>>
>>26986077
>"they don't even look like pokémon anymore"

If this keeps getting thrown around, past what threshold does that statement stop holding?
>>
>>26991893
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xUD6MWmSAc
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (320KB, 1600x898px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
320KB, 1600x898px
>the digimon excuse again
I'll take every Gen 7 mon over these abominations.
>>
>>26991808
>>26991845
It's the most divisive because some are GOAT and some make you wish that the fuckers that designed them would kill themselves for ruining an otherwise great roster. Matsuda forcing the "no evolutions to previous lines" also ended up making too many expies.
>>
>>26992016
OP didn't say Digimon, that's just your insecurity speaking.
>>
File: 1407323741510.png (138KB, 921x867px) Image search: [Google]
1407323741510.png
138KB, 921x867px
>>26992040
I was talkin about people in the thread but ok
>>
>>26992054
To be fair, see >>26990978.
>>
File: 600px-Charjabug.png (171KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
600px-Charjabug.png
171KB, 600x600px
>>26991955
OP implies that it was never valid until now. Though in reality it's never valid because, no matter how bad they get, if it's a pokemon then it's a pokemon.

And after this Gen, pokemon can really be anything no matter shitty it looks.
>>
File: 19818192_p22.jpg (229KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
19818192_p22.jpg
229KB, 800x800px
>>26990836
Word.
>>
File: pokemon.png (1MB, 2394x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon.png
1MB, 2394x1200px
I've been saying that since gen 5
>>
File: tapu.jpg (205KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tapu.jpg
205KB, 768x1024px
>>26994497
Tapu Koko is awesome, fuck you.
>>
>>26994497
These new legendaries feel like they're just throwing shit to the wall to see what sticks.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.