[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon Fanfiction General and Writethread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 281
Thread images: 38

File: 3141351353465.jpg (34KB, 276x320px) Image search: [Google]
3141351353465.jpg
34KB, 276x320px
/vpwt/: Nothing here but us Trees Edition

>post fanfics you like
>share your own fics, ask for advice, post story updates
>discuss writerly struggles with fellow writefriends

Join us in IRC at [ #vpwritethread on irc.rizon.net ] to discuss your fics, hang out and chat, and be frightened by the regulars!

Previous Thread: >>26857786

Check out the catalog for a directory of fics from fellow writefags,
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit?usp=sharing

>Can I post NSFW fics?
Absolutely! There are no rules against NSFW text links.

>How should I post my fics?
Please, for the convenience of everyone involved, link to a host like Fanfiction.net, Pastebin or Google Docs rather than dumping your fics in text posts. This not only keeps the thread tidy (and keeps you from getting an infraction for spam), but it also provides a more permanent place to store your work.

>Can I add a fic I wrote to the catalog?
Sure! Check the catalog for the submission link. In there, you can find a link to a Google Form - fill out all the necessary information and it will be submitted for review automatically. Technology is incredible!

We're also looking to collect ideas for fanfics as a resource for stumped writers. Feel free to throw an idea out there; someone may choose to use it themselves!

Ideabin: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X072SSWulcC6RJRrPA6v9XtyohRybvMBl6Fh49wHsRw

Topic of the Thread: When reading a story that interests you, how high are your expectations for it?
>>
>>26985389
TOTT: My personal expectations for a story is indeed governed by a two part test. The first part is actually securing the interest. Akin to investing, but also somehow different, the first impression of a story often requires me to withhold immediate conclusions and personal bias. To preface, spelling and grammar errors in gratuitous amounts will turn me off irregardless of content.
A lot of times I can see where an author is heading by simply reading the first few paragraphs; this ability to discern direction or even intent has arose as consequence of reading a variety of literary series. So, speaking on this matter: a surprise is certainly a good hook even if it is later on in the introduction to the story.
This is the first burden of proof that the author is tasked with in my opinion. However, your question is phrased in a way which deals more with the ramifications of passing that first test of capturing my interest. Specifically, you have asked how high my expectations are. I will not lie and tell you otherwise: the expectations I have for a story I'm willing to invest in are demanding and continuing. After making a preliminary judgment on the merits of a story's introduction to determine its potential interesting attributes, I have before me a cost-benefit analysis. Do I continue in this particular stagnant world or should I devote my time elsewhere? When a story begins to wane in regards to its hold then I find myself fighting to continue reading, which undoubtedly results in me picking up something else. So, as you can see, that burden is ongoing.
Finally as a side note, the time I spend reading is independent from the time I spend writing.
>>
>>26985389
>TOTT
If a story interests me, my expectations are typically low. I don't expect my life to be changed or to look at the world of Pokémon differently henceforth. Mostly I just want the story to come to a conclusion and not to do anything totally stupid along the way.
>>
File: kenshiromon.jpg (115KB, 750x716px) Image search: [Google]
kenshiromon.jpg
115KB, 750x716px
>>26985389

>Topic of the Thread: When reading a story that interests you, how high are your expectations for it?

Besides the usual standards of proper grammar/entertainment value, any story that I consider both "interesting" and good must have the essential components of a high quality story:

-A climactic battle sequence (preferably several). No violence = no me gusto. One sided beatdowns against a major antagonist are also acceptable so long as at one point said villain proved to be a sufficient threat to the main protagonist. Good battle sequences are a tricky business to write sometimes but on a fundamental level they should serve as clashes of ideology as well as fists. Watch Rurouni Kenshin or Fist of the North Star if you want to see how it should be done.

-A sufficient dose of vitamin angst. This can take the form of emotional breakdowns, angry debates followed by periods of self reflection, or dramatic speeches leading to self doubt among the heroes and/or antagonists. Character growth of some sort should be an inevitable outcome of this drama.

-A satisfactory ending. Good needs to triumph over evil, or at least end up less fucked over than the main bad guys. Hamlet-esque "everyone dies" endings are verboten. This will often require the author to take some sort of moral stand with their writing, clearly indicating that one side is "right" and the other "wrong" and rewarding the characters appropriately, unless they're writing some sort of existential dreck in which case I don't know what they're doing near Pokemon fanfics in the first place.

Any story failing to meet these standards is sent straight to the gulags and is never again spoken of among civilized tongues.
>>
File: 1464876457694.jpg (197KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464876457694.jpg
197KB, 1280x720px
Fic recap:

An anon has recently began working on his lone Male Florges story and is looking for feedback/critique. Help him out! SFW
http://pastebin.com/mytQqk7w Prolugue
http://pastebin.com/MniHfyL3 Chapter 1 preview

Strikeflash started his Trainer adventure story with an older trainer and his gallade. SFW
http://pastebin.com/ZkCDWHWQ Chapter 1
Chapter 2 disappeared like a wimp
http://pastebin.com/qYnRAa8U Chapter 3
http://pastebin.com/UnTSxV7y Chapter 4

ToD makes a one-shot smut between Ash and Serena. NSFW
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12027894/1/

Updated fics:

Unown's Fledgings chapter 37
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11084689/37/Fledglings
>>
so this Trainer/gallade story has a female lucario trainer open up with Metal Sound vs the Gallade using Close Combat yet we're supposed to believe she's more competent? give me a break
>>
>>26985725
>irregardless
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Seriously man, that's not a word.
>>
>>26985852
What do you define as "totally stupid"?
>>
>>26987392
>trainer/gallade story
Link?
>>
>>26987598
It's nonstandard, but it is still a word with meaning attached to it (has been since the eighth century if my sources don't lie) - that is to say, it is not on par with gibberish. Was the meaning lost?

If a relatively tame word such as irregardless upsets you so, then you should certainly steer clear of authors prone to making up words; although I cannot in good faith recommend you do so, because that will have the side effect of limiting your options by a significant margin.
>>
>>26987802
Ffs eighteenth not eight.
>>
>>26987623
A late story plot maneuver that contradicts the sense of world rules given by early matter is an easy way to cause me to bail, in particular when it's to back out of a rug-pull by dropping plot armor on a character that was just surely killed to make a dull moment dramatic at the moment it's read.

>>26987802
Your lexicographical blatherskite is avowedly cromulent.
>>
>>26987973
You're using a thesaurus in order to be facetious. Here's your hard-earned (You).
>>
>>26987598
>2015+1
>irregardless
>REEEEEEEEEing for it

https://xkcd.com/919/
>>
>>26988269
>mfw It's not hard at all.
>>
>>26987802
>>26988389
I dunno, language hasn't degraded enough that it's recognized as proper vocabulary yet. Give it thirty years and then you can give me the whole "it's the natural progression of language" excuse.
>>
File: 1419650904218.jpg (15KB, 223x216px) Image search: [Google]
1419650904218.jpg
15KB, 223x216px
holy fuck, i have no clue why, but my writing keeps shifting into the second person POV.
It's annoying as fuck, because 2nd person only works in a CYOA book, and those have been obsolete for decades.
How do i stop?
>>
>>26988893
>I dunno, language hasn't degraded enough that it's recognized as proper vocabulary yet.
>proper vocabulary
>dunno
Dis gunna b gud.
>>
>>26989015
>only works in a CYOA book
I've used it otherwise, albeit once.

I can only assume that you're subconsciously commanding your characters rather than observing them. Be less of a bossy boots.
>>
>>26989037
>>26988893
Ah yes, language. That wonderful system of sounds we use to communicate, mandated by rules that shift whenever the fuck enough people decide they should.
>>
>>26989149
It's an ad hoc lang' for us,
It's an ad hoc lang' for us,
Democracy choos-es the
Accepted orth-ography,
It's an ad hoc lang!
>>
>>26988893
Your thirty years had already passed by the time meeternity, brunch, google, beerboarding, irregardless and staycation had become secondhand nature.

Now it's the time for other former metnyins like columbusing, screenager, blockchain, zeitgaffe and cellfish to join the fray and be welcome.
>>
>>26989524
I don't recognize any of those fucking words. I need a shotgun and a porch to shake my fist angrily from. Surely that will stem the flow of words I don't understand, right?
>>
>>26989149
>>26989524
>fug the rules, language changes whenever!

Maybe I should console myself by finally reading another book. inb4 I find a typo and go full sperg
>>
File: 1467468206569.png (479KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1467468206569.png
479KB, 900x900px
Guys, I just want to say: thank you. Thank you for giving me some criticism you guys are always motivating me to look up on how to make a good writing and see what I did wrong. I really appreciated.
>>
>>26989756
It's just a fact about language. No matter how much we may dislike any particular change that a lexicon undergoes, it will change with or without our approval. Our own decision to ignore portions of it does not preclude others from using it though, much as we might have preferred it did.
>>
For those of you that write multi-chapter fics, is there an average amount of words per chapter you try for, or do you just go until you reach what feel like an appropriate place to leave off?

And do you have any kind of update schedule? I'm curious what kind of chapter size/update frequency some people have.
>>
>>26990828
I've heard people say that they try to go for a standard arc of Conflict, Climax, and Resolution for each chapter. I'm practicing this, since it helps take the guesswork out of where/when to end a chapter, and what an individual chapter is even supposed to be.
>>
>>26990828
I used to shoot for 3k-4k words per chapter, then they became a minimum, then I wrote nothing but drabbles for a year, now I write a chapter for as long as it should be to fall within a digestible title for that specific chapter. I like this method the most so far.

My update schedule is entirely determined by how much my muse is willing to let me actually god damn write. And work/events in meatspace, but mostly the former.
>>
>>26990828
>For those of you that write multi-chapter fics, is there an average amount of words per chapter you try for, or do you just go until you reach what feel like an appropriate place to leave off?
I like to stop when the time feels right and I've narrated what I needed to. That's usually at 10k words give or take a couple thousand. May seem like a lot, but it's cut down from an even higher amount through the editing process.

>And do you have any kind of update schedule? I'm curious what kind of chapter size/update frequency some people have.
For my pokemon series, updating every other week has been my goal. However, sometimes I get caught up with other fiction projects and work which delays my upload cycle. I also like to read and game for leisure, these distractions are the bane of my productivity.

>>26990984
>I've heard people say that they try to go for a standard arc of Conflict, Climax, and Resolution for each chapter. I'm practicing this, since it helps take the guesswork out of where/when to end a chapter, and what an individual chapter is even supposed to be.
This three part road map is a great way to go. I would endorse it as helpful to find a sense of chapter pacing. One other thing you may like to try as well: include a preliminary introduction of tension - that old, bittersweet "find out next time" - at the closing. In other words, after a resolution takes place at the end there is still something else lurking to keep your audience on their toes, and hopefully coming back.
>>
>>26991204
>that old, bittersweet "find out next time" - at the closing

I did and still do this so fucking much. I feel like an ass every time but it works so I won't stop. No one can make me stop.
>>
>>26991253
Bit will something challenge that?
Find out next time on vpz
>>
I've been thinking of writing a Fallout/Pokémon crossover fic because there's virtually no Fallout/Pokémon content and these are like my two favorite franchises ever.

Long story short, it's set in the Pokémon world but ravaged by nuclear war. The verse cherry picks elements from both franchises, it's not explicitly set in the Anime or the Games continuities.

Essentially, Ash, Misty and Gary will be Vault Dwellers, Brock will be a Caravan Guard. The characters will be 6 years older than they are.

I still don't know why they should leave the Vault though. Finding a replacement MacGuffin like in Fallout 1, finding Professor Oak who mysteriously left like in Fallout 3 or simply going on a Pokémon journey? I don't know what's the best idea.
>>
>>26995350
I don't know the lore of Fallout, though motives to leave can be done pretty easily.
Something nasty could develop inside the vault forcing everyone to leave and go elsewhere.
For a nuclear war story, a place for salvation could also drive a journey out
The search for a missing person could help out too.
>>
>>26995432

I don't want something super dark like them being the last survivors of their vault.

Pokémon is still my childhood and I feel uncomfortable killing off people like Professor Oak, Misty, Ash, Delia Ketchum, etc...
>>
>>26995476
the ideas I mentioned weren't meant to be something taken dark. Just threw out a few general ideas that could persuade/force them out of the vault. How graphic you want it to be is still up to you.

Though something interesting would be like if the MCs were born in the vault and were told of all the dangerous things outside it, and when they do decide to leave...most of it is very different from what they were taught or something.
>>
I'm thinking about writing a slice of life story in the pokemon world about people who honestly don't have much to do with pokemon. There's gotta be be places where people just live ordinary lives oblivious to how magical their entire reality really is.

But I'm only a passable writer so if anyone else wants to spitball ideas go ahead.
>>
>>26989908
Study the many forms of sentences by reading with your attention on the writing, not the message. I feel like your weakness is in not having developed a reflex-like sense for identifying a sentence as well- or poorly-formed.

>>26996966
That's the sort of thing that could fit into my stories' universe, but it would be a mere plot mechanic unless a statement worth making is found.

It's too early for spit-balling. First, decide on what you want your story to say. What's the point? That these naive people are missing out? That the rest of the world, through their relationship with Pokemon, have lost their ability to function without them? That these two cultures can or can't co-exist?

What do you want your story to say?
>>
>>26996966
An Amish region that doesn't use pokemon to carry out daily living would be interesting setting, though I'm not sure what plot you want to put on there. One pokemon found its way in? An outsider bringing in pokemon?
>>
>>26998566
The Amish are all about animal labor; it's buttons and hot rods that rustle their jimmies. That would be closer to a community that has pokemon but refuses the technology (pokeballs) and combat culture—pretty much that's my Yureido Cove.

You're looking for either much greater isolation (which is a tough angle since Pokémon can swim, fly, and teleport) or a cultural inhibition such as a tradition—the village's founder centuries ago supposedly made a pact with a legendary or some such. It's a worn trope but probably necessary and certainly not a problem if the story is good.
>>
>>26996966
>>26998812
Putting into question the matter of "obliviousness of what Pokémon can do": obliviousness might be hard to do, but something like "selective ignorance" can be worked in pretty easily - hey, it unfortunately works too damn well in real life.

Isolation needs not to be large-scale. For example a hospital - there you might not want Pokémon despite what they can do but because of what they are. Of course, in these cases you trade less "though angle" for more "topical environment".

As for contexts where there are human populations that are truly (*truly*) unaware of the existence and capabilities of Pokémon, those would be hard to maintain because not only you have to prevent *both* sides from making First Contact, but you have to also prevent them from noting the obvious "world hole" or "missing parts".

A large-scale culture of obscurantism can help with that, as can do inherited large-scale technological blocks such as the world-wide radio silence in the world of FF VIII.

But still this all depends on the tale you want to tell.
>>
>>26997331
OK. Once I finish the chapter you guys give me some criticism so I can improve. And mabey fix up my proluge chapter.
>>
>>27000776
bout that time again. I need motivation!
>>
>>27001942
a gallade a lucario and a human fighting for the love of a lupunny/gardevoir
>>
>>27001942
The energies that go into the formation of elemental stones, what elements comprise them, and why they are obtainable seemingly across the globe - is there a centralized producer of these stones? Do they come out of veins across the planet? Is the radiation produced by these stones a unique for that breaks the radiation we know, or some strange blends of currently existing meatspace rads?

Is there a black market? Are they mined under safe conditions by workers with proper equipment or does everyone punt their growlithe into arcanine with blood fire stones?
>>
>>27001942
A twenty-something man who spent his most vital years playing MOBAs leaves his studio apartment one night to blow off steam because the internet went down and finds in an alleyway a gardevoir that was rejected by her trainer for not being powerful enough so he takes her in and they make passionate blushing faces all night long, awakening in the morning to realize what a terrible breakfast they made but also to realize they're what each other have always needed but never knew until they found it. With the internet restored, Gardevoir is introduced to the world of live streamed hardcore vidyagames, learns to use her powers to at first help her new master get a hard-to earn achievement, by gently stroking his subconscious while he plays, but in the weeks to come, she learns from him how to do it for herself and then she helps him beat off all of the other teams in his league and become the very best like no one ever was.

(It's 2016, not 2006, get a preview function, 4chin.)
>>
>>27002300
blue-balled harder than delfino plaza.
>>
>>27002300
I always figured Gardevoir would be more into VNs honestly. It also sets up the inevitable "oh fuck this VN is ntr" and the ensuing twisted wreck of plastic the computer becomes after discovering that fact. 10/10 story though
>>
>>27002076
The M Night Shalamadang ending: They gardevoir and lopunny are lesbians but they liked the free attention/drinks so the boys' posturing was for naught because males are chumps.

What a twist.

But instead of being emo kids the guys go out to enjoy drinking marginally alcoholic beverages while spectating an athletic sporting competition, become bros, and pick up some badges and babes that summer.

>>27002407
>10/10
I actually kinda want to write it as a sarcastic deconstruction now, but thinking too much on vidya brings back bad recent memories. Besides, I have a fic waiting on me to finish revising its first five chapters so I can make some progress.
>>
bumo
>>
File: HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK.png (151KB, 913x792px) Image search: [Google]
HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK.png
151KB, 913x792px
>>27002300
You sick motherfucker
>>
Requesting a short story about Pokemon GO creatures wrecking havoc in the real world in celebration of their release today.
>>
Silver resistance updated twice recently, double hype
>>
>>27008696
Author said he's on a roll and he'd like to to get up to chapter 70 (currently on 66) when the thief mission will be resolved because it will make a better stopping point. So we might be able to expect more updates soon.
>>
>>
Have you ever read or written a fic casting the main villain as the protag of it?
Something like young villain boss going on a trip more than decades before the game event.
>>
>they can also emit pheromones that attract males of all species, including Pokémon and humans. Inhaling these pheromones may cause opponents to be controlled by Salandit’s will.

Someone need to write smut about this.
>>
Why so little smut
Do people here prefer adventure stories?
>>
>>27013603
Writers come and go as they please. Ones writing adventure stick around longer though. There was one guy who was writing smut and taking requests like last month, but them some drama happened on FFN and he deleted his account, renaming it goneforever2999

Doesn't help that no one submits their fics to the catalog.
>>
>>27013659
I see
Ive been feeling like wanting to write porn lately, will come back when I have something that isnt totally terrible
>>
>>27013743
what kind of things do you want to write about?
>>
>>27013888
Havent decided on anything yet but humanxpokemon is my favorite thing, exploring how fugging affects their relationships.
>>
>>27014945
>our house is on fire
Pokemon GO runs on Hoverboard?

Also, >implying there is anything to do in Pokemon GO.
>>
>>27012534
I read one about Silver as the head of Team Rocket, training Lyra as a new recruit because she sucks at everything and needs more help than the others. It was good but it hasn't been updated in ages.
>>
>>27013968
11/10 taste ma nigga
I look forward to your finished product
>>
>Want to get better at writing but zero ideas for anything to write
>>
>>27016625
>ideabin
>>
>>27016625
you got an idea bin in the OP or you could take requests
>>
>>27015284
Running aimlessly around and filling your walking quota at the same time isn't too bad a thing to do. I mean hey, you get to catch paras and pidgeottos while you do it.
>>
>>27016326
Thanks that motivates me, Id need to do some research because its been a while since I was into pokemon, I recently came back into the "fandom" if you want to call it that.

So pokemon can communicate with each other as equals but they also kill each other in the wild?
Is it also canon that they understand human language or is that anime only stuff?
>>
>>27017601
>So pokemon can communicate with each other as equals but they also kill each other in the wild?
Probably depends on the context, but I assume that a food chain exists in the wild, just to be safe. Early gens (and gen VI) do mention/hint of people eating pokemon too, but it sorta hasn't really been explored in detail. Anime has everyone eating vegetables because their technology or something allows them to make higher quality foods. This doesn't stop from meat slipping by every now and then.
>Is it also canon that they understand human language or is that anime only stuff?
On most circumstances it just seems that Pokemon can understand the human language without speaking it, probably to make things easier (on both versions). From what degree you take it is up to you
>>
>>27017601
Canon in games that a pokemon understands simple verbal commands from a familiar human, and sometimes a bit more; e.g., your lead pokemon will aid the Kimono Girl in Ilex Forest after overhearing her complaint.

Communication between pokemon is actually the bit that is strong in the animation but weak/absent in the games. I would say that the communication level is equal, but low among untrained pokemon and that the pressures of survival destabilizes social organization. Spoiler: I respect this in my writing, as there is a distinction between wild pokemon, gone-feral pokemon, and self-exiled trained pokemon.
>>
>>27016625
>Zero idea
>In day GF confirmed canon the Pokephilia
>>
>>27017750
>>27017716
Good insight, not even going to bother asking about the politics of the pokeworld because Im guessing there is nothing in canon about it and its likely not that useful just for smut anyways.
>>
>>27018239
It can be relevant to varying extents if you make it so. The push for legalization of Poke/human marriage in Sinnoh is a plot point that influenced the end of TSA, for instance, though it had stopped being light smut about three chapters prior to that revelation. But that's just my take on the world, and as it's your choice on how politics are shaped in the world, you can do whatever you wish. Or you can ignore it as you said.
>>
File: 1404860494245.png (154KB, 550x580px) Image search: [Google]
1404860494245.png
154KB, 550x580px
>>27013968
Obligatory propaganda to give some love to some to the bug types if you're still deciding
>>
File: buggybuddy.png (21KB, 396x386px) Image search: [Google]
buggybuddy.png
21KB, 396x386px
>>27019708
A Bug-type and I made friends today. She crawled onto my foot to snuggle me because her arms weren't long enough for a proper hug, and after that I caught her in a small plastic container. She curled up for a little nap and later I took her out to the nearest Route so she could train against some wild pokemon and get leveled up.

Pic related: Cuteness zones identified by uguu~ rank.
>>
>>27020337
How did you not get stung?
>>
>>27013659
why does drama always seem to follow those type of writers anyway? Is it a magnet of sorts the moment someone makes those type of stories?
>>
Looking for some adventure fics. Original trainers or novelizations, anything well written is fine. Finished reading all of a Platinum novelization (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10694945/1/Titanium) that's been written so far and need something to read.
>>
>>27024400
fanfic writers are often very stupid individuals
They go namefag, they create something and suddenly they believe they are someone, so any small provocation is enough to make them mad and call it quits.
>>
>>27024639
The illusion of somebodiness is caused because when they are writing lemons they get attention and often don't realize it isn't their writing's merits but their use of the term "manhood" upon which all of that attention balances.

Then they post something during January and all drama breaks loose.
>>
>>27024830
Why January.
>>
>>27024996
Because that is when it emerges to feed.
>>
>>27024996
the tl;dr is that some person reviews literally every new published pokemon fanfic for the month of January (on FFN), using copypasta reviews to bait authors into responding to feed ego
>>
>>27024466
>>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10847458/1/The-Road-to-Champion
A well written pseudo-novelization of gen 2 that seems to be branching out a bit. Updates are slow but steady.

>>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10471043/1/Sacrifice-and-Subjugation
Original league/journey story - dark/edgy take on pokemon featuring region conflict, absurdly strong pokemon, over the top, unbelievably evil bad guys, league politics, and an annoyingly smug protagonist who the author pretends isn't a Sue by frequently showing people who are better than him. The general premise of the story is that as time goes on and pokemon are trained/released/breed, the overall "level" of pokemon in the wild is increasing, making the world more and more dangerous. The league exists to combat this by building up strong trainers to keep control of the wilds or help with military things. Despite my issues with character and plot, it's consistent and overall fairly well written.

>>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7354757/1/The-Game-of-Champions
This one is always recommended, so you may have seen it already. The author claims this story is a mixture of elements from the anime, games, and manga, but it's primarily a darker adaptation of the gen 1 games. It's by far the best written league story I've found, with some of the most memorable characters and battles I've seen. The major drawback to this one is the ludicrously slow update speed: it's been almost a year and a half since the last update, though I read somewhat recently that the author is still writing it and just limited due to being in the military.
>>
>>27025325
Never
:^)
>>
>>27025350
Oh, aren't you the coy one; please, teach me your ways.
>>
>>27018116
Are you talking about Gen IV or something else?
>>
>>27020337
>pic
cge is a southwestfag?
>>
File: 1467893897876.png (1MB, 1021x886px) Image search: [Google]
1467893897876.png
1MB, 1021x886px
>>27025515
that relationship has been hinted at again by Slandit's entry on the website, as pointed out by >>27013222
>>
I've never written an entire "smut fic" by myself... Not to mention the fact I know more about interactions with real, intelligent, unrelated women than the rest of you put together.
>>
>>27025777
>women
>intelligent

Got you lucky 7
>>
>>27025827
Called that ASSumption by all of you (accent on the first three letters due to the -holes you all are, as well as the holes you have proven must be in your heads) for the shit that it is/was.
>>
>>27025876
Amazing m8
>>
>>27025777
>Not to mention the fact I know more about interactions with real, intelligent, unrelated women than the rest of you put together
What does that have to do with writing or not writing smut?
>>
>>27025777
>women
>intelligent
>>
>>27025777
Trips confirms: He needed help in writing his smut fic.
>>
>>27025777
Did your trips delete the two years I spent engaged?
>>
>>27025899
Seems redundant... Your side loses, not just due to comparing our actions/sides, but due to the actions of the opposite (members') side, which proves the majority (if not all) of them are losers.
>>
>>27025944
>Seems redundant... Your side loses, not just due to comparing our actions/sides, but due to the actions of the opposite (members') side, which proves the majority (if not all) of them are losers
I'm sorry what?
>>
>>27026044
I refuse to believe some of you can be as intelligent as you've claimed, yet still fail to understand some of the things I've posted that these same people claim to fail to understand.)
>>
He is just baiting for (you)s, ignore it.
>>
>>27026100
Buddy I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, I just asked ya a question.
>>27026122
Well I'm kind of bored so I'm taking the bait, but I'll stop if you think I'm playing into the charade too much
>>
Does this happen often in this thread
>>
>>27026206
First time in a good deal of months to be honest.
>>
>>27026220
Guess is an above average bait idea to go to a thread of people that write and try to make them feel bad somehow by using overly verbose and incoherent posts.
>>
>>27026220
Wow. Guess im used to shit like this on the gardevoir threads, so I naturally expect this kind of thing 24/7.
>>
I should've just said I was the only intelligent one. None of you have given me the sense you're smart enough to be offended, & now you'll all waste what few brain cells you may have trying to ID the others.
>>
>>27026457
A good deal of /vp/ has writethreads filtered by default, so audience size is small, even on the negative side of things. Don't expect all threads to be the same
>gardevoir threads
Oh boy, and those threads contain almost all levels of shitposting
>>
>>27026548
> those threads contain almost all levels of shitposting
Perhaps it is for the better of everyone.
But it is rather interesting to see all the drama unfold as you sit back and download all the cute pics that get posted.
>>
>>27025617
Holy shit I hadn't seen that yet. Pretty cool.
>>
>>27025777
>women
>intelligent
Joke's on you, I'm a girl.
>>
>>27026648
I kinda wish that they didn't all go to literal shit, but on the other hand, bread and circuses.
>>
>>27028155
Yeah it kinda sucks not really
But at least my gardiefolder gets bigger every time I go there.
>>
File: 1437178353698.png (281KB, 600x950px) Image search: [Google]
1437178353698.png
281KB, 600x950px
>>
>>26986393
>an Ash/Serena smut without the autism that follows it
Well that's a nice surprise
>>
Boop
>>
File: 1401519363870.png (293KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1401519363870.png
293KB, 512x512px
>>
>>27025617
This seriously writes itself
>>
worked up the motivation for chapter 5 almost 9 days later.
http://pastebin.com/9RQ5gkup

or

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12024240/5/Pokemon-Flash-Platnium
>>
slow thread today
>>
I'm writing a fic right now and the main character comes to terms with her abusive parents. Only after leaving home, pushing past her fears of other people, and finding out the world is beautiful, she goes back and decides to try and make amends. Only to have abuse pick up where it ended.

How can I write this/add to it without getting on a tumblr soapbox, and keep it interesting/readers invested?
Any fics with abuse/mental illness you guys could recommended?
>>
How do you write in food? What can people eat in this world without being fucking Pokemon-eating monsters or vegan?
>>
>>27043131
there was small talk about this earlier. Check out
>>27017716

You could either accept that some mons are eaten by people or make everyone vegetarians and not talk about meat. Or just tinker around until you get something that fancies you and meets a balance.
>>
>>27043131
>>27043193
Considering that a non-zero amount of non-superpowered animals basically has to exist to enable the portrayed pseudo-real world, it's not too much of a stretch to have some livestock species exist (human interference would've prevented their extinction).
Another alternative would be to embrace the series' leaning towards sci-fi and have actual "meat factories".
>>
>>27043079
>without soapbox
This is easy: Show don't tell.

I'm guessing your story's motif is that the cost of evolving beyond an environment is becoming unable to survive there anymore, so focus on that pivot and make the protagonist's realization of this and ultimate decision matter, without you-the-author interfering.

(Knee-jerk can't be avoided thanks to the allergy that many have developed due to overexposure to Tumblr nonsense, but that's beyond your control.)

>>27043131
This is a dilemma you must resolve by being true to your vision of the Pokemon world for which you write.
>>
>>27043079
I would recommend that this be treated as a subplot for your story. If her coming to terms with abuse is the only issue you might find that you're going to quickly run out of things to say about the serious subject. Why not have a journey where she goes out to collect badges to prove herself, and winds up finding friends in pokemon and other trainers? From your description I am not sure what her initial mental background is, but you can develop it over time rather than have it all out in the open from the get-go if your goal is to keep readers invested. Good luck!

>>27043131
Don't see why it would be unforeseeable that some pokemon would be eaten. Especially if there is realism in the story. If you want to take an ambiguous approach you could simply name processed food after Pokemon without discussing the ingredients. The "everyone is a vegan" is probably the least satisfying explanation available.
>>
>>27043131
I've written in pretty much each of the last three or four threads how it makes complete sense that IRL animals exist in the Pokémon world, and thus they can be used for food. Bye-bye issues (well, at least those issues; introducing IRL animals will cause you yet another couple of headaches, but hey, the devil that you know...).
>>
>Story where a poor trainer who's shit at battling decides to use their pokemon to steal money off those they lost to and slowly escalates into the scope of their thievery all while creating more problems for themselves just they can continue traveling around the world

I feel like there's a handful of glaring issues in but I can't see it
>>
>>27044111
Team Rocket, one-player mode.

Issue: Why battle and lose and steal back your bounty when you could not battle and pick pockets all day every day? It can serve your purpose as a way to make the character a career criminal, but "slowly" won't last more than once or twice before it quits being a special case and starts being a lifestyle.

Issue: "Traveling around the world" sounds more like "life on the lam."

Issue: What kind of monetary system are you assuming? Is pickpocketing money worthwhile? What about items? If this klutz can make a lifestyle out of it, who can't? Is banditry common? Does he get robbed and atomic-wedgied by his rival periodically?
>>
Do you think the giving half your money when you lose is a law or a bet
>>
>>27044111
In a world where you are shit at battling, how do you even start at thievery? You'd start being bad enough at it that you'd be found, and fought. Obviously you won't be the protagonist in this kind of world, so at some point a kid with a Turtwig is gonna rekt you. If you are lucky and follow the well-trodden path, you will be fought via sensible creatures rather than via a shotgun to the chest, and if you follow the well-trodden path anyway why resort to thievery enough to make it a lifestyle?

Also, after my previous posts I'm wondering if I should pastebin my essays, anti-Greninja style. I know, I'm already doing that with WBJ, but there's enough to talk about and given the latest years at everything, I do get the feeling that the world could use a piece of my mind.
>>
>>27044400
Game interface shorthand for "traits of a (n in?)formal sports market", kinda like going to the rings.

So I'm venturing "law but don't think of it". Likely not strongly enforced anywhere, considering such kind of system basically leads to stable welfare disparity (the strong get stronger, the weak get weaker).
>>
>>27044400
In some regions, like Orre, it's bribe money to not get killed or worse.
>>
>>27044472
>Likely not strongly enforced anywhere
You need to watch a nature documentary. The strong are lucky to remain strong, and the weak get culled.

The wagering system is highly practical. Foremost, it punishes the over ambitious; keep bothering superior trainers, run out of money. Secondarily, because the wager and the rank are correlated, a trainer that earned badges by gaming the gyms will fork over a heaping helping when they lose while making little off of beating lower-ranked trainers.
>>
>>27044260
>>27044414

Thanks for the input. I don't think the premise can go anywhere without gaping plotholes or a slew of contrived reasonings that are just as bad, or I'm just too uncreative to make it work.
>>
>>27044414
Hell yeah, pastebin that shit.
>>
>>27044711
>The strong are lucky to remain strong, and the weak get culled.
Isn't that considered barbaric or "lower" in most modern societies, hence why legions of citizens object to it?
>>
File: 1404585393832.jpg (312KB, 900x604px) Image search: [Google]
1404585393832.jpg
312KB, 900x604px
>>
>>27045983
It's still true. The metaphor is all that changes.
>>
>>27044400
It stopped being half your money long ago. With it being based on badges and average level, I could see it as a league rule in-universe.
>>
>>27045983
The laws of Nature are fundamentals, not mistakes to be rectified (as philosophers sitting in comfort often mislead themselves to believe, and worse, to espouse), and there are costs to pay for every benefit gained by constructing a layer of complexity upon natural laws.

A tribe may benefit by creating a society that displaces survival-of-only-the-fit from among its members to among itself versus other tribes by not executing or rejecting its members weakened by age, injury, or disease, but it pays for that by demanding more resources/effort from its healthy members.

If those weak members are only temporarily so (e.g., a broken bone will heal, a weak offspring may in time flourish) or still provide a useful contribution (the wise elder trope IRL) this may be a bargain that improves prospects for long-term survival, and indeed much of modern society is built on that plank and also on the benefit that two men agreeing on peace between themselves rest easier at night, but the laws of nature are still in effect: ancient Rome and its legions fell to the barbarians, no matter how much "higher" they may have considered themselves when they were the world's "modern society." They built much upon the natural laws, but the moment they became weak (armies distantly spread and poorly allied, a city full of people who consume much and contribute little) they were fit to be culled according to the natural order.

>>27045983
>why legions object to it?
Only because they do not want themselves (plus those they "care about") to be among the culled. People get excited about culling when it is abstract and "doesn't affect [me]". Recent police-related assassinations on both sides of the badge, the war on terror, the war on drugs, protesting "The 1%", levying taxes to pay for schooling other people's kids, corporations avoiding taxes—when we see loss, death, and mayhem and choose in a moment to feel dismay or schadenfreude, we are tacitly judging who are fit to be culled.
>>
File: 54189495_p0.png (224KB, 611x797px) Image search: [Google]
54189495_p0.png
224KB, 611x797px
>>27030818
What did you think of it and what do you mean by "the autism that follows". Still knew to writing lewd so any feedback would be great.
>>
File: 1436378838884.jpg (339KB, 800x893px) Image search: [Google]
1436378838884.jpg
339KB, 800x893px
>>27025073
I chuckled.
>>
>>27051597
I never noticed that, you mean in the games the money you lose depends on the number of badges you have?
>>
>>27055296
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Black_out
>>
>>27052297
>quote
Sorry. I've just been lurking one too many anime threads and pairings of that kind seems to trigger immense followings of shitposts/underage posts soon after.
As for what I think, I had a nice read, though I think explanations for certain body parts could be implemented without needing a paragraph's worth of tell.
I.e: instead of explaining a paragraph about Serena's legs, instead mix it into the sentence, like...'Ash caressed Serena's toned legs, built and toned from the hardships and training to be an idol' if you know what I mean
>>
>>27055733
Interesting, I guess I never noticed because its impossible to game over in the newer games unless you do it on purpose
>>
>>27057712
And even then, they make it a chore.
>>
File: Typical_Pokemon_Fanfic.jpg (130KB, 1313x195px) Image search: [Google]
Typical_Pokemon_Fanfic.jpg
130KB, 1313x195px
>Faulty grammar
>Author including himself or his friends as characters
>Typing lyrics w/youtube link to some shitty song

Anything else that makes you go JUST when reading writefaggotry?
>>
>>27044400
league rules. battling is a gambling sport so you have to wager to battle.
>>
>>27058599
When there is no narrative and instead reads like a checklist
.this happens
.then this happens
.then that happens
>>
>>26996966
I had an idea about a kid who refuses to use pokemon because his dad died in a pokemon battle. the story would take place with him in his late teens, with all his friends always taking up how great pokemon are.
I'm a terrible writer though and I probably wouldn't be able to come up with anything else for the story.
>>
>>27058599
>Your triggers.
>249 reviews.
He's doing something right. And I'm not by a hundred.

My triggers:
>Calling a couple of paragraphs that barely convey a scene a "chapter."
>Use of a stock first act as a crutch (e.g.: Wake up in bed, time to see the professor.) and doing nothing with that experience afterward.
>Story written as a catharsis rather than a work of art, especially when it leads to deadfic when the writer gets over the emo before getting through the first draft.
>>
>>27058599
>SYOC: pure cancer
>Grandstanding protagonists. Nothing makes me hate a character more than when the author has them monologue at some dehumanized, riolu-kicking thug just to make me like them.
>The author's random pseudo-philosophy used as filler dialogue.
>Female characters that fall into one of the two cliche fanfiction "personalities": the naive/innocent girl or the Strong Female Character aka Mary "Ball-crusher" Sue.
>>
>>27059792
My sincere thoughts on reviews: quality over quantity.
>>
>27061050
[whydon'twehaveboth?.jpg]
Mine, too, and I've babbled on the topic previously, but it's still a metric, and it's one that is publicly noticed when somebody is browsing FFN. If one 200k story has 250 comments and another 200k has far fewer, those two data points suggests the former is better at compelling a response in its audience.

A stage performer may be better promoted with a quality review of praise in the papers, but the quantity of applause is the feedback of the moment when it's time to take a bow, and it's what the audience members remember.
>>
>>27058599
The one that makes me audibly JUST is when an author slaps an Author's note in the middle of a story rather than putting it at the start/end
>>
>>27061343
>Why not both?
Because we need to make fanfiction great again.

I agree with you from the standpoint of a third party who is browsing FFN. He or she may be inclined to click on a story with more reviews per word-count in lieu of a similar length story with fewer reviews. That simply makes sense.

However as an author, I would disagree with your stage performance analogy for the following reason: I would much rather have a single, detailed review of my plot, theme&motif, narration, characterisation and so forth; specifically so that I can improve at my writing. The aforementioned quality of review is extraordinary rare, and yet it resonates on a much stronger level than tens of "omg, pls continue writing XOXO" reviews. In a sense, the latter only helps me to continue to make the mistakes I'm already making, while the former gives me reason to work harder at remedying my weak points and hopefully become a better writer.

>>27062059
That's poor form. Almost as bad as the fics that interject what music track the reader should be listening to in the middle of every scene.
>>
>>27062277
>inclined to click on a story
That is vital: Number of audience members is the ceiling for how much feedback you may receive, be they reviewers who write articles or mere peanut gallery clappers. Hence, even if one disregards trivial review counts as essentially valueless, should they as a big number draw that click, that's a chance at a quality review—a chance lost if the reader has limited time and figures the one with 250 over 150 is more likely to pay off. And then it's 251 over 150 instead of 250–151 and the latter is on its way to the dustbin.

Granted there are many variables here (are members of the quality review group influenced by review count more or less than the population? Does blurb/description quality outweigh review count, or influence it? Etc.) but I think shrugging and quipping "quality over quantity" when one is bested by review count is a narrow view. Partly, because I've quipped so, and now I recognize that it was a narrower perspective than the one I now have, and have today expressed.

>Because we need to make fanfiction great again.
I was hoping that AO3 would accomplish that, but despite the big door in its wall and promise that everybody could come in properly, the line seems to still be quite backed up. At least they haven't declared bankruptcy.
>>
>>27062686
It's a pity about AO3. It took some wrangling to get used to, but the way it handles publishing and what not is second to none.

Pity the population appears to be next to none.

>>27062277
Much as I like quality reviews, the ever expanding peanut gallery on some of my old stories only made the review count climb and made way for actual quality to roll in.

Very slowly, mind you, but it rolled in nonetheless.
>>
>>27061343
I agree with that, even a short review means your story affected someone to the point where they felt compelled to give a response. I feel a bit guilty though, my story is at 400k words and 740 reviews, but I've never reviewed anything.

Some old gentleman on a forum asked me to review his epic fifteen years ago and I delayed it for so long he actually died from old age.
>>
It's hard to say what can even get a work viewership in the first place. Obviously things like a character tags or good summaries can get some readers, but what really pushes a story to popularity? The hardest part is getting anyone to even find a story and give it a chance among a sea of others. Once the stats get high enough, the FFN browse/sort options give a fairly significant advantage to gaining more attention, but the only way I can see to reliably get more attention is to have a story that's long enough and updated often enough to be bumped high in a search.

Quality reviewers seem to come naturally with larger viewership as long as the story itself is of high quality.

Tough not to be a little jealous of the guy who wrote Power Trip though, just look at his reviews page:
https://www.fanfiction.net/r/10483318/0/1/
Pages and pages of medium-long reviews. Most of the long reviews seem to be from the same 3-4 people, but having that kind of chapter by chapter critique would be amazing.
>>
>>27063856
I plan to write for myself first and foremost, dont really care if my fics get popular or not.
>>
>>27063856
>chapter by chapter critique would be amazing
I briefly achieved this level of attention (over private message) with E/V, but its ending caused, to paraphrase, the loss of confidence in my ability as a writer.

To borrow from economists, I consider it not a loss but a market correction. Fortunately, I always sell myself short.
>>
>>27064290
>the loss of confidence in my ability as a writer
Harsh

Did their issues with the ending have any merit? Or did they just want a feel good ending?
>>
File: 57064624_p0.png (158KB, 405x574px) Image search: [Google]
57064624_p0.png
158KB, 405x574px
>>27057591
I get what you're saying, thanks for the info.

>>27058599
Fuck, where to begin?
>Betrayed fic that opens by following point by point EVERY OTHER BETRAYED FIC OUT THERE
>MC Catching Legendaries, Shinies, and having an absolute OP team and never fails to struggle ever
>MC runs away because his friends are so OOC and when he returns they either A) suck his dick because he's grown up so handsome and cool or B) are OOC dicks except they all fall around him and proceed to do A
>First chapter has more dialogue and nearly no descriptions of events going on
>Grammer/writing in general that just doesn't work
>Authors note, bolded text to inform the reader, bracketed note, etc mid chapter instead of at the start/end because they just HAD to write "The sword kind of looks like that one from Final Fantasy XXX, but bigger and blue"
>Journey fics based off of the anime that take episodes and alter them slightly for their own fic instead of being original

There's probably more I just can't think of any since I don't read much fanfiction anymore.
>>
>>27065956
>main character touches a sword ever
Instant close. Like anyone wants to read some shonen bs about a guy fighting off all the evil rapists who want to take his useless, damsel-in-distress, gardevoir waifu.
>>
>>27066120
Like, it could literally be anything else and it would be more acceptable. A knife is practical, a mace is deus vult as fuck, even a gun is a fucking gun. And when they do use swords, it's not that they actually know anything about swordplay or even care to do the research on terms and techniques. It's just a big hunk of metal that they swing around like retards, man. I need help.
>>
>>27058599
>Surgical operations performed by people without a license

Do you mind if I steal that?
>>
>>27066120
What if it's a Doublade he's using the does nothing but badmouth his form and swings?
>>
>>27066120
Swords work if you're doing like a medieval story, like I like writing sword wielding characters. But authors who:
>Make their MC an expert Katana wielder
>Able to cut down 10 gorillian enemies
>sword has special powers

Tend to make their stories just dumb power fantasies like most harem battle anime.

Like I'm guilty of some of the above, but I do it in a way that makes sense.

If the MC was going to use a katana the story would be set in a feudal japan scenario with Samurai or their Pokemon equivalent. Otherwise he's just a regular swordsmen, maybe with a strength buff because of Aura if I'm using that plot.

I like writing Bow wielders/thief characters, even more so when you give them slight buffs that enhance their abilities.
>>
>>27065768
I decided to write a story against the idea that I was skillful enough to make the journey worthwhile despite a self-spoiled and disastrous climax. It seems that my plan worked too well, because the impact apparently distracts from the message that the final chapter and epilogue were meant to convey.

This critic has read all of my other Pokemon stories and is familiar with my style—enough that there were hints of trying to convince me to accept a commission before faith was obliterated. So, I guess while a feel-good would have been received with delight, it was likely a matter of just how cold it became.

>>27066120
I should write a swordfic.
>>
>>27063856

I like giving long reviews to stories, but hostile author reactions and the lack of particularly unique/interesting Pokemon fanfics these days is rather discouraging. As soon as I find a long story that particularly impresses me in some way I'll write a review about it.
>>
File: 5.jpg (37KB, 640x475px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
37KB, 640x475px
Gonna need the lewds, anon.
Post them here and no one needs to get hurt.
You have 5 (FIVE) hours.
>>
>>27067216
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit#gid=363462878
NSFW section for lewds and stuff is all in the catalog.
>>
File: 1407356707308.png (93KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
1407356707308.png
93KB, 550x600px
>>27067246
>>
>>27066320
>writing Bow wielder
Huh. That's a first. Got a story sample of using a bow wielder?
>>
>>27067814
based meowstic
>>
>>27066320
I had a villain with a sword once, but you know, an actual sword. The MC treats the unusual weapon with respect at first but quickly notices he's barely even scratched by it beats the shit out of the villain.

The twist is that then his partner gets hit and goes down, turns out the sword was coated in toxic and the MC hadn't even realized it since he's a steel-type. Now he's forced to carry his ally around and suddenly that weapon isn't as harmless as it started out.
>>
>>27075863
This sounds familiar, The Human Species? My issue with swords tends to be that they're mostly made pointless because pokemon exist, but that story's sword scene ended up being really interesting.
>>
>>27058599
>all those warnings
>rated T
how
>>
Writing a scene in a city environment, and trying to capture local political views within the inhabitants' dialog. I gather that it would differ a significant amount from the typical adventuring trainer, simply based on the availability of amenities and creature comforts. (I have written a bit on the local politicians in line with my world building challenge last chapter, but now the task is to make those people seem larger-than-life to the average person on the streets of their city.)

Any advice on how to accomplish a representation of this dichotomy in a subtle manner? I would be extremely wary of having random personalities approaching the cast and spewing their political bias outright.
>>
>>27084080
>trying to capture local political views within the inhabitants' dialog
Does it have to be spoken dialog? If not necessarily, I suggest fliers and pamphlets, as well as over-the-counter banter on the "side loads" of political issues, such as how much a new traffic regulation is going to cost to a store in terms of lost clientele.

IMO, aim for "this affects everyone, but is about me" personal stances from the populace.
>>
>>27084080
TVs, radio broadcasts turned on at some sit-in establishment are the first things that come to mind when politics are something that need to be established. News stories and interviews listened into by the idle perspective seems like an adequate way to insert those views into your writing, and any conversations people end up having because of the programming would also benefit your task of conveying more public views on the matter.
>>
>>27084269
>>27084310
Thank you both very much, you've given me some great ideas. Radio and TV is especially prevalent as well as advertising in a metropolis with mass media capabilities such as Goldenrod.
>>
>>27077718
Yeah, humans are weak, but their use of tools to improve themselves makes for interesting combat. They'd need some serious armor though, crafted out of Shuckle or something, if you go into battle wearing nothing but a kimono and a fedora it's going to be a really short fight no matter what.

Also, I needed a human character dressed in Pokemon for the sake of history's most drawn out and useless plot point.
>>
This might sound unusual, but does anyone have stories where the main characters start off cowardly/timid? I need to look into some samples to learn how to make a character like that believable
>>
>>27058599
Not the same, but https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12043344/1/Pokemon-I-M-IN-THE-GAME made me cringe.
>>
>>27086585
(Lacking any titles to suggest) I'm curious if you're looking for the traditional zero-to-hero, or more of an overcoming inhibition plot. There's a difference because zero-to-hero is typically about a person being Chosen and truly becoming a different person at the end, while the alternative is more about one personality becoming more adaptable or less avoidant, but retaining the same core personality.
>>
>>27086765
overcoming inhibition plot mostly
>>
>>27086842
Important factors that I would pay attention to portraying:
* How the character finds a substitute for the activities that are avoided. (Fail at this, and your character will be flat and disregarded as the emo-kid trope.)
* How other characters would be affected by Protagonist making different choices. (Why care about a caterpillar becoming a butterfly if it flies to no flowers?)
* What advantages Protagonist enjoys by being this way. (Without this, the character seems pathetic rather than introverted and has no dilemma in choosing to change.)
* How the event that inspires a change is truly powerful beyond all other effects that could have pushed Protagonist out of this rut.
>>
How popular is Mystery Dungeon Fanfics?
>>
>>27087930
About as popular as the rest: Not particularly much.
>>
What's a good N x Hilda fic that isn't N capturing her?
>>
>>27087930
Pretty popular. Many of the frequently recommended stories tend to be PMD based.
>>
>>27087930
there are quite a few PMD writers here if that counts.
>>
Requesting a NSFW.

I only have a rough idea of what I want. I'm imagining a fic where I'm married to my Gardevoir and we want kids but can't since I'm a human and she's a Gardevoir. The fic idea is we go to a fertility clinic where they breed my wife with male Pokemon so we can have children. I'm not sure if I want to keep it in the Ralts line.

If anybody is interested in the request I'll give you my OC's info and stuff.
>>
>>27089937
Sounds like a raunchy solution to the problem of pokemon x human marriage. I like it.

Give me your OC info and I'll get to work.
>>
>>27089937
well at least you don't have to worry about the case of bad eggs
>>
>>27089937
Is cuckold the hot new trainer class?
>Generating more ralts.
>Neglecting boxes of Level 1 pokemon abandoned in the system by trainers grinding their dittos for shinies.
>>
File: sylvia.png (412KB, 1600x981px) Image search: [Google]
sylvia.png
412KB, 1600x981px
>>27090277
Awesome thanks!

Here's my OC
>>
>>27090417
Nah, it's not really cucking. It's breeding so you can have kids like when a man who is infertile uses a sperm donor. Cucking is the worst.
>>
>>27090468
A sperm donor typically doesn't use his own needle, and for that premise to be NSFW, it necessitates the author put a camera in the screwin' room.

Anyway, it's /r/'s fantasy, but it sounds like a fulfillment rather than an exploration. We'll have to make some popcorn and see what >>27090277 can make of it.
>>
File: 1416943423646.jpg (27KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
1416943423646.jpg
27KB, 500x367px
>>
>>27090432
>that image
I know exactly what is happening with this request.
>>
File: 1408141306072.png (244KB, 1080x780px) Image search: [Google]
1408141306072.png
244KB, 1080x780px
>>
>>27090432
>>27092322

nigga this isn't your character, stop starting shit

http://blueman282.deviantart.com/art/Sylvia-Reference-Page-609272956
>>
>>27094486
I never said it was, I'm just saying I knew exactly what that image being provided and subject material requested meant.
>>
>>27094486
>>27094820
I don't know what you two are talking about, but the story is almost done. I'll post it shortly.
>>
>>27094891
That "Sylvia" character isn't his, it belongs to that Blue Man guy that people keep memeing about here. You're just getting asked to use that character because it'll start trouble.
>>
>>27095016
I think the real question is why he agreed to do a story involving this nasty looking Doughnut. Did he see it and go, "Ehh, not like I have anything better to do".
>>
>>27095261
>doughnut
What?
>>
File: DonutsFull.jpg (56KB, 350x258px) Image search: [Google]
DonutsFull.jpg
56KB, 350x258px
>>27095670
>ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL
>DO NOT STEAL
>Donot
>Doughnut
>>
>>27094891
>>27095670
You live your whole life under a rock, and the first place you decide to go is /vpwt/?

Yes I am teasing you for not knowing dumb /vp/ memes
>>
>>27095711
Ohhh, right, right. Sorry, brain fart.

>>27095783
Nah I've been around, /vp/ is just the most interesting board usually.
>>
>>
Status update: literally no writing has been done on zinnia fic, i've been writing a trade for a friend. Also vidya is one hell of a distraction
>>
Guys, I need some opinions because I got somewhat stuck:
>trainer (15yo) is about to exit Union Cave
>his Kirlia was struck by a Pursuit and can't go back to the ball
>the pokemon is a bit too heavy to carry to the nearest PC (Azalea's)
>his other pokémon is a Gyarados, albeit a bit unwilling to help

my question: how the heck can a Gyarados move out of the water? I need to develop this scene but I'm clueless about this construction
>>
>>27099548
If you go by game+anime logic, Gyarados can glide out of the water.
By game logic: it's a Flying-type, it can probably soar if it wants to. If it does want it's something else entirely.
>>
>>27099595
I'm having trouble picturing a gliding gyarados, but that helps a lot; I'll search further about it (including and not limited to flying fish). Thanks a lot
>>
File: GyaradosFlyingType.png (78KB, 194x206px) Image search: [Google]
GyaradosFlyingType.png
78KB, 194x206px
>>27099548
Like any serpentine Pokémon, it can probably slither its way out of water and move around land, albeit limited in options.

Also, pic related depending on how realistic you want to go. Or not.
>>
>>27095016
Am I the only one who finds it rather funny how anon asks for a fic like that and uses art by a known cuckold?
>>
Does anybody have any good pokemon vore fics?
>>
>>27102919
>vore
>good

choose one
>>
>>27090432
GIVE ME GARDEVOIR LEWDS NOW
>>
>>27102919
Tons. But they're all scattered around writing dot com, except the ones that got pruned and I had to store on my computer.
>>
>>27099777
may the lucky 7 bring you good fortune
>>
>>27103169
https://soundcloud.com/doc-dic/50-shades-of-gardevoir-as-read-by-microsoft-sam
>>
File: 1453822021203.gif (93KB, 314x319px) Image search: [Google]
1453822021203.gif
93KB, 314x319px
>>
bump
>>
File: lillie.png (279KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
lillie.png
279KB, 800x800px
Is there something, anything with her in it yet?
>>
Huh. So someone made a greentext of some m/m lopunny smut.
Read it here if you want.
>>>/trash/4025026
>>
File: 1434133855924.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1434133855924.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: 1463397574080.png (568KB, 900x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1463397574080.png
568KB, 900x1650px
>>
>>27111098
I think there was a few threads back, though the focus was more on the new female MC than it was for her
>>
>>27116708
still need a story involving the three starters fucking around with each other
>>
>>27120006
Requesting a drawfag to draw the starters as the cast of the Nicktoon Catscratch
>>
>>27044686
what's worse than not being killed?
>>
>>27121692
>what's worse than being killed?

Have you no imagination of what atrocities people are capable of inflicting upon some poor soul in the middle of a lawless desert after their opponent loses? There's plenty of stories where death is more welcome than the alternatives. Think about objects in the environment that could become much less benign in a ruthless person's hands. Now add pokemon and their respective abilities into the equation. In all likelihood the victim's body won't ever be found under the shifting sands, and even if it was discovered, who would bother to criminally investigate a collection of scattered bleached bones any further than assuming the next checkpoint could be a bandit ambush?

The cities aren't nearly as bad, but traveling between pockets of civilization is always a dangerous venture just like it was in the old west.
>>
>>27121692
not being killed and having you slowly bleed out from having your dick chopped off.
For female I'd imagine the same only if you cut her titties off instead.
>>
>>27122465
>>27122533
>>27121692
What about the psychological torture available you in the wild west? Near escapes time and time again met only with eventual capture and incomprehensible brutality and depravity starts to wear on a person's psyche, more so when creatures capable of doing shit normals humans can't get tossed in.

Then learned helplessness sets in and the situation becomes somehow worse and more pathetic.
>>
>>27123377
I like the way you think.
>>
>>27120112
>catscratch
good taste galore
>>
>>27122465
>>27122533
Well shit
Looks like it's back to eternal suffering for me
>>
bumpu
>>
>>27113111
and then someone else made a greentext about skyla's tits, involving some pic posted earlier in the thread
>>27115007
>>
>>27094486
>isn't you character
It isn't the anons character either
>>
File: tumblr_o3rozjGhXn1szq7iio2_250.png (47KB, 250x267px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3rozjGhXn1szq7iio2_250.png
47KB, 250x267px
I'm deeply sorry on how long I've been taking. The chapter isn't done yet. But! I did update the grammer and added a few words.

http://pastebin.com/dtMs23MX

The reason I haven't caught up with the chapter is because I was so hung on this game called OFF.
>>
you guys ever read a day inside may?
>>
>>27130760
Well, at least you are still alive
>>
File: tumblr_mnqj28ys2Z1rc5y8xo2_1280.png (509KB, 1146x1368px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnqj28ys2Z1rc5y8xo2_1280.png
509KB, 1146x1368px
>>27132110
Thanks I appreciated!
>>
>>27114913
>PTSD bat
Any cute stories involving him yet?
>>
>>27122465

Self defense courses for dealing with hostile Pokemon are mandatory for all competitive trainers operating outside of patrolled territory so surely they would be able to at least formulate some sort of response. Intelligent trainers travel in groups regardless, which makes that sort of banditry a risky affair.
>>
>>27130781
Who hasn;t
>>
How do you guys write/envision pokemon in terms of strength/durability compared to humans and/or other animals. Abilities are so impressive in terms of effect that it's hard to believe their attacks wouldn't be outright deadly, and the fact that pokemon are expected to withstand those same attacks indicate that they're absurdly durable. For example, how dangerous is a guy with a knife to a creature that endures all manner of cutting, stabbing, and exploding attacks on a regular basis? Sometimes authors seem to avoid firmly establishing this kind of thing, despite it becoming important at some point in their story.
>>
File: 1392588481857.gif (33KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
1392588481857.gif
33KB, 64x64px
>>27140518
It would probably be a case-by-case basis. While most Pokemon could easily tear a human apart or take a lot more punishment than an average person, it is also suggested that humans in the Pokemon World are a bit more sturdy than the ones in our world, withstanding some level of pokemon punishment in both medias (games, tv) to the point where the only things that have possibly killed people is when they turn to stone (via Ash getting in the middle of Mew and Mewtwo's fight, Yvetal stealing life force, etc).

How dangerous/sturdy you really want the pokemon though would be up to interpretation.
>>
>>27140518
In my stories, certain types feature "survival" traits as extensions of their typical abilities. I've presented a few, but for the sake of writing liberty, I haven't prepared a list in advance of needing to use them.
>>
>>27140518
Depends on the setting, of course, but my general rule of thumb is that both Pokémon and humans are very resilient to harm, but Pokémon have a (much) broader range of power throughput and resistance / deflection / absorption that they can tap into with the proper training - and lifespan, which in-setting is the reason behind some evolution chains.

A run-of-the-mill wild Pokémon specimen would be capable of the feats we can normally think of wild Pokémon doing - the basis for survival in the wild and the basis for at least going to try luck against a Trainer. A trained specimen, or a wild specimen of certain orders such as ghosts or dragons that has survived above the usual lifespan for their species, would be in general more powerful, but above that they would be more durable; it would not make sense that a trained Pokémon is one-shot by a super effective attack in almost any trained vs trained context, for example. (Plus, for that kind of scenario, it's bad for the spectacle!).

What damage can a Pokémon take most likely depends on their stamina and the difference in powerlevel. If your Pokémon has the stamina to do it and is not trying to chew more than it should (eg.: against a Champion rank or a Legendary), they should be able to block most of the damage from a Hyper Beam if they see it well telegraphed.

From a narrative standpoint, making the Pokémon have a large range of stamina available also serves a secondary purpose: it helps justify and built around the foundation that Pokémon not only fight each other, but are, up to what chivalry permits, the medium to settle disputes human-human disputes at a societal-wide level.
>>
What does /vp/ think about this particular piece?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11740850/1/Pok%C3%A9mon-Outbreak-Book-One-Sinnoh
>>
>>27065956
So do you plan on doing any more like that with different pairings or was it just a fancy that tickled you enough to try?
>>
File: 55330640_p0.jpg (377KB, 703x1000px) Image search: [Google]
55330640_p0.jpg
377KB, 703x1000px
>>27146006
Well, I was paid to write that one shot.

I do plan on writing more lewds in the future because it does bring in quite a bit of traffic and it was a fun experience. But for the most part I'm sticking with my usual non-lewd stories.

If I do write lewd, it'll be on the rare occasion and human pairings.
>>
>>27146095
What the fuck is wrong with her arm
>>
>>27140518
I tend to write a lot on tactics. Evasion of attacks or at least mitigation of them (in the case of AoE) is crucial for long battles. When I write a battle, I enjoy making the environment (local objects and subtle hazards) just as much of a threat as the pokemon themselves. In order to do this effectively the scenes need to feel longer than in the games where typically you are matching type and weakness. If a Pokemon uses a super effective move, I consider the effort needed to avoid or mitigate to be much higher than normal, resulting in turn loss or similar penalty.

As for trainers, most carry firearms in my universe. There are a variety of different makes and models to suit specific situations. They can and will be used offensively and defensively in all but league regulation contests. Some weapons are "super effective" by virtue of their range/shell/incendiary/explosive/burst-fire/piercing/energy/etc. design, while other sidearms are purely situational.

As for the relative stamina of a humans on a whole, it is difficult for me to say since I have not written a pure run-of-the-mill trainer fic in several years. I will say with certainty that I find it much more interesting when the humans have higher levels of endurance, even though it may not be realistic without some plot device to explain it.
>>
>>27146135
That's what happens when you lose to anime.
Don't lose to anime folks.
>>27146095
so it was a commission? Interesting.
>>
>>27146172
It was.
>>
File: Ani.jpg (39KB, 588x386px) Image search: [Google]
Ani.jpg
39KB, 588x386px
>40,000 views in a month
>1 review
>>
>>27044400
and what would happen when you run out of money and lose a trainer battle?
:^)
>>
File: delphoxofmixedemotions.png (85KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
delphoxofmixedemotions.png
85KB, 600x600px
>>27148533
>40,000 views in a month
>not satisfied
I'd play an appropriately tiny violin, but I need a 40x microscope to find one.
>>
>>27148533
On the one hand, how? You'd expect at least a few with that many. Have you received favorites and alert notifications? I find people do that more than review in my experience.

On the other, _how_? Quite the popular story, eh?

On my bonus third hand, don't be a baby, your story has traction.

On a semi-related note, I woke up to kudos on a story with only four hits. That was odd to see.
>>
File: OK.jpg (91KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
OK.jpg
91KB, 375x500px
>1st chapter has five times as many views as everything after, trailing off more and more as the story progresses

>>27149687
Might just be google bots, hard to tell. I uploaded it in two places, one with 40,000 and 1 review and the other had 30,000 but like 12 reviews. Though one "review" was just the letter R, maybe he'll finish it later.
>>
>>27060708
>syoc
What does this mean?
>>
>>27151471
Submit your own character. Readers tell authors the details about their very own Mary Sue self insert and their team of shinies despite that character having no bearing on the plot.
>>
File: 120px-If_you_were_gay.jpg (4KB, 120x114px) Image search: [Google]
120px-If_you_were_gay.jpg
4KB, 120x114px
>>27151571
Here's my original OC Barney The Frog
>>
>>27150301
>70,000 views in a month
I think that's pretty much all of the views that there are. gg.
/ff
>>
>>27151665
>my original OC
you forgot a donut steel.
>>
>>27150301
Bots don't crawl a page 40000 times, so I doubt that actually. Your first chapter syndrome is also expected, it's what happens with just about every story. Some don't read, some don't continue, numbers drop, so on and so forth for each chapter until you boil it down to your core readerbase.

My most popular old work had stories drop from numbers as high as 21k for chapter 1 down to 10k for the next. One went from 11k ch1 to 3k ch2. It's just a thing that happens.
>>
>>27151954
I wonder what a donut steel tastes like, and if there can be anything done to make them interesting instead of forced
>>
>>27136148
>self defense against pokemon
More than just running away, right?
>>
>>27156076
Well, the defense against a Pokémon is a Pokémon, but certainly there are always ways one as a human can stay out of danger, or at least not increase the danger one's in. And I presume those would take forms not too different than what self defense is IRL.

Most schools of self defense are not about "block everything" but rather "defuse hard situations" -or better, "don't get into hard situations in the first place": quickly identify escape routes, build up the endurance to properly run from assailants, be able to stand up to more than one hit, that kind of stuff. tl;dr: run away smartly, not blindly.

(As for actually fighting a Pokémon, I guess that's doable if you know well what you are facing. Things get a bit hard on the strategy when the random Sentret you are facing can whip out quake motions, tracking energy projectiles and probably some sort of pyro/telekinetics)

>CAPTCHA
>ROUTE 1100
A-A-Are we still okay with the original 151 Legendaries, right?
Thread posts: 281
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.