[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Controversial opinion: The VGC meta would be a lot more interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: unovaleaders.png (23KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
unovaleaders.png
23KB, 256x192px
Controversial opinion:

The VGC meta would be a lot more interesting if they introduced a Type Expert clause:
>all Pokemon in your party must share one type in common
>>
>>26968755
vgc would be more interesting if it wasnt doubles and had actual tiering rules
>>
>>26968755
Probably, honestly. I agree with this controversial opinion. It could definitely make things more interesting.
>>
>>26968755
VGC would be a lot more interesting in a non-legendary meta. Also fuck Smeargle or Moody.
>>
VGC isn't the place for gimmick rules. I'm surprised they haven't done monotype in a Battle Spot tourney yet, though

>>26968776
bait harder friend, only babies who haven't played doubles think singles is more interesting
>>
VGC would be better if it actually did something with the meta.
Anything.
>>
>The VGC meta would be a lot more interesting if they introduced a Type Expert clause:
>all Pokemon in your party must share one type in common
I can't wait for Flying Genies: The only option. Starring Smogonbird and Mega Salamence.
>>
>>26968967
>>26968959
>VGC isn't the place for gimmick rules
Aren't they the only format that lets you have 2 ubers or something like that every few years?
>>
>>26968973
VGC was a mistake.
>>
VGC should just ban all legends
>>
VGC would be a lot more interesting if players had to draft from a Pokemon cube.
>>
>>26968976
I wouldn't really call that a gimmick

Also it's pretty rare they do this ruleset. Last time they did it was 6 years ago, and 2016 only did it because ORAS hasn't been replaced with a new game in 2 years
>>
>>26968997
Level 50 doubles, bring 6 pick 4 format is honestly pretty gimmicky at its base, and that's just the standard VGC ruleset.

Then they have things like "Unova only VGC" and stuff like that.

Honestly, VGC is probably one of the gimmicky-est official formats in competitive gaming.
>>
>>26969014
This post has brainwashed smogonfag written all over it

Firstly, level 50 and bring x/6 has always been their official competitive ruleset since even gen 2, there's nothing gimmicky about it. Having a "side deck" like that, as well as restricting what you can use like the Unovadex only year like you said, is completely normal in other strategy games like card games.
>>
>>26968973
Fuck, you're right.
>>
I have no idea why the worst thing Hoenn introduced became an official format. I guess it's why VGC is an unbalanced mess.
>>
>>26969049
Doubles is amazing, any balance problems have nothing to do with that
>>
>>26969041
>Firstly, level 50 and bring x/6 has always been their official competitive ruleset since even gen 2, there's nothing gimmicky about it.
Just because it's been like that from the start doesn't mean it wasn't also gimmicky from the start. The very fact that you ignored the "double battle" part of that, while VGC has been doubles ever since R/S, just extends that point.
>Having a "side deck" like that,
While I like the concept, the execution means you bring your entire party of 6 Pokemon and instead of bringing extra Pokemon to deal with threats(like a side deck would be), you're just lowering the amount of Pokemon you can actually use, battles become shorter/more offense focused and things like genie spam have more leeway to work because if you get one lucky break or you get unlucky, 25-50% of your team is just gone.
>as well as restricting what you can use like the Unovadex only year like you said, is completely normal in other strategy games like card games.
Except in card games they do that to be jews so you're forced to buy the latest packs, which should not be encouraged. That would be like Street Fighter at EVO having a rule that you can only use DLC characters at 2016's tournament. There's no real reason to have that at all in Pokemon. And Unovadex only wasn't the only thing like that. We had the year Pachirisu won because of the restrictions on what people were allowed to use. We have the years where everyone brings their Primal Groudon and Xerneas. That's Tavern Brawl bullshit, what the fuck is it doing in official tourney base rulesets?
>>
>>26969049
Doubles is great because it's fast and has more strategical depth than singles. The problem with VGC lies in that Pokemon in general is just unbalanced as fuck.

VGC 2013 was a step in the right direction but still had it's fair share of imbalance. I wish GF would actually go through with the effort to add an official battle simulator/stadium mode and continue to balance pokemon based on their usage in that mode.
>>
>>26969074
Doubles isn't gimmicky though. Maybe 15 years ago when it was first introduced, but it's been a thing for a long time now and the way it's played has expanded a lot

> instead of bringing extra Pokemon to deal with threats(like a side deck would be), you're just lowering the amount of Pokemon you can actually use
See you are just viewing this from the completely wrong angle. It's a 4v4 game where you have 2 side options, not a 6v6 game where you leave out 2 options. One of the biggest things this does is ensure team matchup problems are not an issue. Also, shorter games don't necessarily mean a bigger focus on rng, it works both ways because longer games can mean more chances of bad luck occuring.
>>
VGC is bad because i cant into doubles
really how do i do it? ive tried and its like being new to competitive battling all over again. honestly fuck gamefreak for making the offical format be something that only shows up in the main games like, twice
>>
>>26969114
>Doubles isn't gimmicky though.
When 90% of the battles in the games are played in singles? Doubles is gimmicky as fuck, and expanding a gimmick doesn't make it less of a gimmick. We're still getting shit like Rototiller and Battery.

>See you are just viewing this from the completely wrong angle.
Or there are other game modes, including in the official game not being VGC, where 6v6 was the standard up until XY Battlespot. But then again, Level 100 was also standard until Gen 5's multiplayer just decided it wasn't and added team preview. It's kind of hard to view the game not as "bring your entire team and play 1v1 singles" when you spend 6-28 games doing exactly that with occasional breaks for things like triple and inverse battles. It's just like other games. Who the fuck would play competitive Street Fighter if the official format was the car smashing minigame? Yeah, it would be fun to meme on for like a week, but nobody would take that seriously.

>Also, shorter games don't necessarily mean a bigger focus on rng, it works both ways because longer games can mean more chances of bad luck occuring.
I specified that it has a bigger impact though. One lucky crit takes out 25% of your team. One lucky crit in 6v6 might be slightly more common, but only takes out 16.6% of your team. Would you rather have 83.3% of your team left, or 75% of it?
>>
>>26969140
It's actually not that hard to learn if you already have a decent understanding of the game through singles. Probably the biggest thing to understand is the importance of Protect and how to use it, the rest is just learning the general meta through experience.
>>
File: 1466679868642.png (287KB, 419x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1466679868642.png
287KB, 419x1034px
>>26968959
>>
>>26969152
"I don't like it and it's not as common" doesn't mean gimmicky at all, are you sure you understand that word?

>6v6 was the standard up until XY Battlespot. But then again, Level 100 was also standard until Gen 5's multiplayer just decided it wasn't and added team preview.
Now you're showing you're full of shit. 6v6 has never been supported by gamefreak, ever. All the tournaments they've ever had were 3v3 singles or 4v4 doubles, it's also what was used in Stadium games, PBR in gen 4, and then BW and BW2 had built in matchmaking for them just like gen 6. Battle Spot just made it more popular and better since it's set up well with things like good matchmaking and a proper ranking system.

>One lucky crit takes out 25% of your team. One lucky crit in 6v6 might be slightly more common, but only takes out 16.6% of your team
But the point still stands, shorter games on average will have no crits compared to 6v6 games. No matter the format, getting a lucky crit on something important can have a big impact in different ways
>>
>>26968755
This would be too contrived and lose its novelty fast. Just make it a special tournament.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.