[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of this guy? You can't even advance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (86KB, 750x464px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 750x464px
What's the point of this guy? You can't even advance because you don't have surf yet.
>>
He's to direct children to the game's objective.
>>
THE GAME IS MADE FOR KIDS, OP

KIDS ARE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO KNOW THEY CAN'T GO TO CERTAIN AREAS YET
>>
In order to remind you HEY FAGGOT GO BEAT THAT GYM LEADER WITH THE LUCARIO, THEN GO TO THE LUCARIO TOWER TO GET YOUR COMPLEMENTARY MEGA LUCARIO AFTER BATTLING A LUCARIO. HOLY FUCKING SHIT I LOVE LUCARIO.
>>
>>26860067
Don't forget
>BY THE WAY HERE'S A LAPRAS IF YOU DIDN'T PICK GRENINJA BECAUSE ALL THE OTHER WATER TYPES SUCK
>>
File: 1461791971215.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1461791971215.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>>26860029
>Questioning anything in X and Y
>>
>>26860029
Because he gives you a Lapras dumbass
>>
>>26860076
>Azumarill
>Clawitzer
>Starmie
>Cloyster
>Gyarados
>bad
>>
>>26860067
God, I fucking hate Lucario.
>>
>>26860096
>Blastoise
>Mega Blastoise
>>
>>26860199
>>26860067

Based hipster-kun
>>
File: xFPh9.png (16KB, 479x425px) Image search: [Google]
xFPh9.png
16KB, 479x425px
>>26860029
What's the point of this guy? You can't even advance because you haven't gotten your first gym badge.
>>
>>26860278
What's worse is that he actually drags you to the gym
>>
>>26860029
>you cant go to sunyshore the power's out
>you can't leave hearthome because someone's filming one way and someone's talking about eggs at the other gate
>you can't go to lake valor and stop the guy with a bomb we're filming the lake
>you can't go to saffron because i'm too dumb to bring water to the job
>you cant go to the ice cave because you should sightsee
>you cant go to kanto you HAVE to fight lugia

If they use roadblocks I would much rather it be done in any way other than "npc blocks you for arbitrary reason"
>>
>>26860503

They did it hilariously in B2W2 with the guys saying something like "we're here for some reason, we'll be gone for some reason, la la la"
>>
>>26860512
the worst ones are when you try to walk by and some random fuck runs in front of you and pushes you back. It's like if i tried to drive past some town and some guy sped past me and blocked the road, and got out to say "YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THE LAKE AND LIGHTHOUSE FIRST!"
>>
>>26860278
Yeah, but there isn't an HM wall right after him, its just the cave.
>>
>>26860096
>>26860246
>Nobody mentions Barbaracle
Fuck off
>>
>>26860056
BACK IN MY BAD WE HAD NO HAND HOLDING WE HAD TO WALK AROUND TRYING TO FIND OUT WTF YOU HAD TO DO NONE OF THIS GAY ASS SHIT BOY
>>
>>26860580
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT ITS 4 AM AND I MAY BE DRUNK AND EVERYTHING IS WRONG IN THIS POST
>>
>>26860278

/thread

Seriously, that guy involuntarily takes you right to the Gym, like "here it is, you dumb little fuck".
>>
>>26860067
the gym leader doesn't even use lucario in the battle you ultimate fedora
>>
>>26860883
Never said she did, reading comprehension-kun. I called her the "Gym Leader with the Lucario." You had encountered her AND her Lucario multiple times before the fight.
>>
>>26860599
>missing the point
>>
>>26860577
Who?
>>
>>26860577
>Barbaracle
Because I would't put surf on Brobaracle
>>
>>26860991
Yeah, you do.
>>
>>26860056
Games these days don't give kids enough credit. People justify Nintendo handholding with "BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" despite Minecraft being completely hands off and open ended and the biggest kids video game ever and 80s kids having no trouble with obscure Nintendo hard games.
>>
>>26860599
>first time trainer
>starts to walk around pewter city
>a path? let me follow it
>no! you must complete a task before leaving this city
again, missing the point
>>
>>26860029
You could trade for a pokemon with Surf.
>>
>>26862915
still need the badge
>>
>>26862953
He's there after you've beaten the gym but before you've beaten her in the tower, dumbass.
>>
>>26860278
But you could. There weren't any HM things in the way.
>>
>>26860577
Shut the fuck up. Barbaracle is my bro.
>>
>>26860076
They give you a free Lapras Gen I silly
>>
File: 1442318981074.jpg (74KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
1442318981074.jpg
74KB, 800x532px
>>26860577
Implying anyone would actually use that disgusting looking shitmon.
>>
>>26860029
>implying the game hasn't been railroading you since gen i

I JUST WANT TO TRAIN UP FOR BORCK NEAR MOUNT MOON HOLY SHIT
>>
okay so how do you fix this? obviously it's okay for the devs to want you to do things in a certain order, but how can they guide your progression without resorting to these?
>>
>>26863499
have something that recommends an area to go to next, but doesn't block you from going to a high level area.
>>
>>26860278
>not sneaking past him by saving and resetting at the right time
>>
>>26860512
>hilariously

t. Game Freak
>>
>>26863499
I know this triggers /vp/, but HMs are the perfect natural roadblocks.
>>
>>26864266
>Having to put a shitmove on my shitmon
>Perfect natural road block
>>
Here's to hoping Sun and Moon won't be this bad

A man can dream, can't he?
>>
>>26864279
It is. The trees you CUT down have been there since the start of the game and don't arbitrarily disappear when you complete an arbitrary task that has little to do with anything. It's like getting items in Link's Awakening that let you get around obstacles in the overworld, as opposed to an NPC standing in front of the fourth dungeon saying "you have to go do this side dungeon and kill the boss before I go away!"
>>
>>26860525
Kek
>>
>>26864309
The items in Zelda dont arbitrarily take up one of precious few moveslots on your team, forcing you either gimp your Pokemon or have a wasted slot or two on your team. It's not a good comparison.
>>
>>26864323
I'm talking about the theming of the roadblock, anon. Yes, yes, I know you get triggered by HM slaves, but HM roadblocks are a million, billion times better than dancing-for-no-reason from a setting point of view, and I consider that to make it worth requiring an HM slave.
>>
>>26863405
>he says as he posts furfag abominations
>>
>>26864341
How is that worth it? That makes no sense. You'd rather something make a setting slightly more believable for a roadblock that only matters for however long it takes until you can get past it in exchange for wasting moveslots or entire Pokemon for the contrived purpose of mostly useless moves to get past those roadblocks? Are you kdding me?
>>
>>26864369
>You'd rather something make a setting slightly more believable for a roadblock that only matters for however long it takes until you can get past it in exchange for wasting moveslots or entire Pokemon for the contrived purpose of mostly useless moves to get past those roadblocks?

Yes. It's not like you need every HM at all times. I replayed Crystal recently with a full team of six, and the only HMs I had on my team at the end were Surf, Waterfall (both on the same Pokémon unfortunately), and Strength. Cut and Whirlpool are only required as specific points, and Flash and Fly aren't required at all, so if I needed Cut or Whirlpool (or if I entered a Flash cave since that's still annoying as shit) I switched one of my six Pokémon with a slave in the PC, and just made sure to battle with it a bit more than usual the next route.

Same with my ORAS playthrough, I used a full team of six and the only moves I had on my team were Fly, Strength, and Surf, and I just switched in a slave when I needed one. And Hoenn is a more HM-heavy region than Johto.

I don't consider occasionally switching in a slave for a short section that aggravating, and having natural roadblocks instead of dancing-for-no-reason makes up for it and more.
>>
>>26864341
HM roadblocks are objectively shit.

In a series with about to be nearly 800 possible choices, and you have only 6 at once, why should 1 or 2 of those 6 be totally useless in battle, only to be around for a field move? ORAS practically REQUIRED you have a Sharpedo, since it was the perfect hm slave
>>
>>26864450
>I don't consider occasionally switching in a slave for a short section that aggravating, and having natural roadblocks instead of dancing-for-no-reason makes up for it and more.
>I don't consider going out of my way to do things like catch and switch in Pokemon with HM moves more aggravating than some dags dancing in my way as opposed to a tree being even though functionally norhbdulfill the same purpose
This is objectively improbable and I'd you do think this way you should know that it isn't the normal way of thinking, and shouldn't be because the priorities are completely fucked up and illogical.
>>
>>26864734
Better than gen 4, which required two HM slaves per party.
>>
File: here comes that team.png (733KB, 893x669px) Image search: [Google]
here comes that team.png
733KB, 893x669px
>>26860029
if you played as male character he wouldn't have said anything.
>>
>>26864766
Defog was the worst move ever. Added just to make 2 areas worse
>>
File: zigzagoon.gif (378KB, 368x297px) Image search: [Google]
zigzagoon.gif
378KB, 368x297px
>>26864734
>totally useless

Putting Strength on my physical attacker doesn't make him useless, and you don't need six Pokémon at once at all times considering how easy the games are.

>>26864754
>I don't consider going out of my way to do things like catch and switch in Pokemon with HM moves more aggravating than some dags dancing in my way as opposed to a tree being even though functionally norhbdulfill the same purpose

I don't. I catch everything I run into anyway so it's not like I have to catch anything specific. It might help that I've played these games before so I know what to switch in and when I need to, but something like having to go through the S.S. Anne to get the HM for Cut to get to Surge is better than going through the Kalos Badlands and a Flare Grunt blocking the Power Plant with "come back when you have four badges" and it will always be better. Gen V and VI removed mandatory HMs besides Surf and they have the WORST roadblocks in the franchise, though I like Gen V despite that.
>>
>>26865029
>Putting Strength on my physical attacker doesn't make him useless

The point is it's in the minority, and Return is better now. Strength should at least be Fighting type now.

Of the hm's, only half are okay. For every Surf and Waterfall there's a Whirlpool and Rock smash
>>
>>26865029
That makes no fucking sense. What if you went through Kalos Badlands and the powerplant was blocked by a dock instead and you hadn't gotten fock smash yet, or you didn't put a Rock Msash Pokemon on your team beforehand? There is no functional difference between someone blocking you and an HM move blocking you. The functional difference comes from wasting moveslots and teamslots to HM moves in order to get by the HMs, whereas people or whatever go away when you're done with the thing and thats it. It is impossible for that to be more aggravating than HMs without some sort of brain damage or disorder.
>>
>>26865029
Key items replacing HMs when.
>>
>>26865079
>axe for cut
>hammer for rock smash
>surfboard for surf
>flashlight for flash, they did it in fantina's gym after all
>>
File: anime cry intensifies.gif (930KB, 374x361px) Image search: [Google]
anime cry intensifies.gif
930KB, 374x361px
>>26865039
>and Return is better now

Yes, but you can easily beat anything in-game with just Strength's base power.

And Rock Smash is one of the worst HMs out there, I agree, just because it's so common. Whirlpool is only needed in one tiny area and an optional area in one game though so I don't really care about it.

>>26865057
>What if you went through Kalos Badlands and the powerplant was blocked by a dock instead and you hadn't gotten fock smash yet, or you didn't put a Rock Msash Pokemon on your team beforehand?

That's better than the current scenario since it's more natural. There isn't a functional difference but it's a difference fluff-wise, which is what I care about.

>It is impossible for that to be more aggravating than HMs without some sort of brain damage or disorder.

That's rude.
>>
List of good HM's

Surf
Waterfall

List of passable HM's

Strength
Fly

List of bad HM's

Rock Climb
Cut
Rock Smash

List of worst HM's

Whirlpool
Flash
Defog
>>
>>26861496
This. Kids are pretty smart.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.