[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its funny how people think there is a need to make games easier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 2016-06-22_16h51_10.png (386KB, 587x445px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-22_16h51_10.png
386KB, 587x445px
Its funny how people think there is a need to make games easier for kids. As if kids back in the day couldnt clear RBY.

>But pokemon's demographic is kids so we need to...
The old games, albeit, harder and not containing as much "kiddie frendlieness" were still catered towards kids. Do they mean they believe kids are more stupid these days?
>>
>more stupid
Signs point to yes
>>
>>26833068
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/6437256808907399718/6437256808907399721
Yes.
>>
>>26833068
Kids back in the day had no choice but to play videogames on the Game Boy or whatever other console there was at the time.

Kids nowadays have a plethora of options with the advent of smartphones and mobile, casual games that, even with these changes, are much easier to get into.

You need to think in context. Kids are not more stupid, but all these simpler gaming choices reduce their attention span and tolerance towards unnecessary obstacles in a game's enjoyment. So I believe it is a good thing Game Freak has implemented these additions that are not really invasive so they won't bother me at all

Plus, it's not like they had any space to work with with the GB cartridges to introduce kid-friendly features, tutorials and whatnot. That's why manuals existed
>>
You still have to beat the pokemon once before the move effectiveness will show up for it.
>>
>>26833068
I was stuck in Red and Gold when I was eight because I was borderline illiterate. I also couldn't figure out simple puzzles like warp panels in Saffron or Chuck's gym. A lot of kids are just plain dumb.
>>
The type effectiveness hint is honestly long overdue. It's not to make the game easier, it's to make it easier to understand. We forget how overwhelming Pokemon can be to new players these days since there are now soon to be 800+ of them, long gone are the days when there were only 150 you see during the game and you could memorize them easily
>>
This is fine, maybe even good design in theory, because of these seemingly great defensive typings that are becoming more common i.e. Fire/Water or Steel/Fairy. It will be very grating in the beginning of the game against solo type pokemon which weakness should be obvious.
>>
>>26833068
Ignoring the stupid puzzles, RBY were just as easy as XY, just for different reasons.
The reason XY is too easy is the level curve is messed up. The duplicated experience plus experience share makes it too easy to end up with overleveled Pokemon.
The reason RBY is too easy is the AI sucks, move sets suck, and enemy teams don't have any variety. You can usually wipe an entire enemy team with just one Pokemon, even gym leaders, even if you're under leveled.
Most of the difficulty in RBY comes from bad design, like the fact that you can't even see what any of the moves do. Once you figure out the mechanics though, they're some of the easiest games in the franchise.
>>
>>26833068
Played R/B/Y as a kid and it was still piss easy only hard part was being somewhat underleveled when reaching the E4.
>>
>>26833075

/thread
>>
>>26833068
>Do they mean they believe kids are more stupid these days?

More stupid? No. More impatient and more access to competing options? Yes. Sadly, the developers are right. If they want to keep the youth audience they need to adapt to it, and it IS different today than it was 20 years ago. It might suck, but it's a necessary move on the developers part.
>>
>>26833068
The fact that you used "more stupid" instead of "stupider" kind of shoots your argument in the foot.
>>
>>26833068
>As if kids back in the day couldnt clear RBY.

I'm one to argue that RBY was just as easy as any game, all the way to XY/ORAS.

You can make the case in Gen 1 that all you had to do was buy the Magikarp at Mount Moon, evolve it, and proceed to just murder everything with Gyarados.

The only games I'd say were halfway challenging was Gen 2, but that was mainly because it was grindy as hell with underleveled wild mons, and an immense difficulty spike between 2 gyms, then the battle with Red jumps everything up 10 levels beyond Blue to boot.
>>
If they don't have time for this, they don't have time for anything. If they don't have the attention span for this, they don't have the attention span for anything. As far as I see it, you are just lamenting the matter that pokemon can't be the very first thing kids are exposed to, and thus, you lose out to everything else. You gave up. Admit it.
>>
>>26833068
for fuck sake you could clean the old games spamming one attack that hitted neutral
I played all the way from red to firered without knowing the type advantages and still won, fine lose a coumple times against the e4 but still won, untill gen 4 I didn't bother to lear them, and I was 19 when pearl came out
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.