[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, newbie here, if I wanna talk about competitive battling,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
So, newbie here, if I wanna talk about competitive battling, showdown, smogon, RMT and general advices about builds and mons, where do I go?
Is there a general?
/wfg/ seems pretty much only for exchanges
>>
fuck off newfag

just kidding but yeah theres typically a competitive general but i feel like its been kinda dead recently just use the search on the catalog you should be able to find it also i've been trying to get back into competitive recently myself so i'm always down to compare builds and whatnot although I might not have the best advice bc i've been out for a while[\spoiler]
>>
>>26668180
Yeah, me too.
I got a little into the competitive scene with XY but since I found really hard to get 6v6 matches I let it go.
Now with SM coming out Im trying to get back into it again trough showdown.
Im >ed is sick
on there and I kind of suck
>>
>tfw terrible at competitive
>not even great at the in-game tower features
>>
>>26668214
yeah i've been playing competitive since gen 4 when i was 12 and played up til the beggining of gen 6 but didn't like the meta too much mostly because of megas but now im trying to get into it again before Sun and Moon
>>
>>26668149
Go to showderp threads for some build advice
>>
File: 1422121517379.jpg (26KB, 281x264px) Image search: [Google]
1422121517379.jpg
26KB, 281x264px
>build team based on the threats to watch out for and do all the possible damage calculation to ensure I always have something prepared
>don't actually battle anymore
Team building is fun, but I know the moment I actually battle the whole team would crumble despite all the theorymonning put in to handle the possible threats
>>
>>26668149
You might as well make this the thread for it. I can kinda help with competitive. The usual general, /cpg/, devolved into a Showdown room with people rarely making threads on here anymore, since they'd die pretty quickly due to lack of interest. But if you bring the interest, there'd be reason for discussion.

What would you like to know?
>>
>>26668372
All right, Im really new to this.
I get the various roles of pokemons, the concept of checks and counters and, say, I manage to get a 50/50 win/loss ratio.
But when I build my team, I always mock around. It always seems I DONT really know what I'm doing.

Today I've built this team around Cloyster

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
- Ice Shard

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate
- Grass Knot

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

It works pretty well but, for e.g, I rarely get to use my Shall smashed cloyster. What I'm doing wrong?

Also, I'm simply trying to find a community of people I could ask things and I could grow with. After a bit, it gets lonely to fight against anonymous
>>
>>26668429
>Genies
>>
>>26668429
I prefer running cloyster with explosion replacing ice shard and a kings rock. This combo usually lets cloyster sweep at least 2 of his Pokemon. Shell smash cloyster is for two things. Switching into physical attacker that aren't fighting or electric, and switching into mons you know can't do anything against cloyster and setting up. Cloyster is all about finding a way to get that shell smash off without dying on the same turn. Takes some practice but you'll get used to it. Also
>OU
Bleh
>>
Is there anything to look out specifically when playing rotation compared to singles?
>>
File: ciacheck.jpg (24KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
ciacheck.jpg
24KB, 472x472px
>>26668477
Since most players play OU I'm trying to get the OU metagame before moving on other things.
Do wifi battle use smogon tiers?
>>
>>26668429
Cloyster is more of a lure in effective competitive battling nowadays.

It lures in bulky Water types and Steel types since they're so common and deal with it. Like >>26668477 said, Explosion is a great move on it to remove things like Keldeo and Rotom-W. Slowbro can take a +2 Explosion from even Adamant, but if you give Cloyster a boosting item or get off chip damage via entry hazards or have a Pursuit mon in the back, you can get the kill. Then I'd recommend having a Magnezone so you can catch the baited Steel types.

Cloyster is a means of opening the door for Victini and Lando-T in that regard. Or even a Keldeo since you'll be removing their Water resist.
>>
>>26668505
No, you can run basically anything in a wifi battle as long as you don't use multiples of the same item or species of Pokemon (like two Pokemon can't be holding Life Orbs and you can't have 2 Cloysters)
A lot of people use smogon "approved" Pokemon though
>>
>>26668505
No. They don't
>>
Whatever you do don't look for competitive advice here.

/vp/ in general is god awful at Pokemon.
>>
>>26668429
>>26668533
I forgot to mention,
>Also, I'm simply trying to find a community of people I could ask things and I could grow with. After a bit, it gets lonely to fight against anonymous

If you really want, you could follow the chatrooms on Pokemon Showdown, like the OU room. I don't really like to listen in since they're mostly a bunch of sheep who shit on anything not in OU until a recognized good player succeeds with it, but they are a community and if you really are new they can probably help you out a tad. There are also chatrooms for competitive tutoring on Showdown but the concept of such a thing just seemed so foreign to me that I abstained from it. The way I learned my stuff was by watching games and watching good Youtubers like Pokeaim and Thunderblunder777.
>>
>>26668555
It's ok, anon. I'm good and here.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.