[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /vp/ I am new to the more competitive style of Pokemon battling.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 206179.jpg (36KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
206179.jpg
36KB, 500x376px
Hey, /vp/ I am new to the more competitive style of Pokemon battling. I understand IV and EV training and am now getting used to movesets. My only real trouble is team building.

Anyone have some tips?
>>
>>26613984
don't ask /vp/, most people here are sub-1200 shitters including me

go look up a guide to teambuilding or find some teambuilding videos so that you can understand the thought process
>>
Play on Pokemon Showdown and use a bunch of teams by looking up the most generic ones and branch out from there, then when you find one that you like stick to it. It's not really that hard
>>
>>26613984
Git Gud
>>
6 Smeargle

Unpredictable team, no counter.
>>
File: tumblr_mb3rpqoqn71r8l831.jpg (55KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb3rpqoqn71r8l831.jpg
55KB, 500x400px
>>26613984
>competitive Pokémon
>>
Use Kangaskhan and genies
>>
>>26613984
Start with a strong core that you have fun playing
>>
>>26614012
>no counter
Tyrouge used Mach Punch
>>
File: 4chan smash tournament.jpg (119KB, 797x450px) Image search: [Google]
4chan smash tournament.jpg
119KB, 797x450px
>>26614022
>tumblr
>>
>>26613984
For team building specifically?

Identify your win condition. Whether that means you want your shiny Lilligant to destroy every opposing Pokemon on the other team or you want your Mega Steelix to become unkillable.

Once you've decided how/what you will use to win, build around that by supporting that strategy. Taking Lilligant again, think about what it is weak to (typing) what it has trouble with (steel) and how you can support it to overcome these (for example adding a fire pokemon with flash fire to take fire attacks and also threaten steel types)

Thirdly, once you have a rough idea of a team you can start thinking about what the enemy might bring, or what strategies they have that could be very problematic. This means doing a little bit of research as to what pokemon players actually use, and what moves/abilities if any you need to prepare for. Again using Lilligant, Talonflame would be very threating for obvious reasons, so in addition to supporting Lilligant, you should think about having some way to put up stealth rocks or having a strong water type.

Anyway, that's probably the most basic advice you could get. Give an idea of what you're trying to build and I'm sure some anons would help.
>>
>>26614036
>Tyrouge

Why? Smeargle can quick attack to go first
>>
>>26614072
It was a play on the "Snorunt used Powder Snow" thing that gets posted on a lot of Garchomp posts.
>>
>>26614084
Snorunt can literaly OHKO Garchomp though
>>
Man, I miss /cpg/. /vp/ might be bad at competitive but at least you could actually have a thread of dicussion instead of x number of pokegirl threads, 'roll X and post Y' or 'daily picturedump of pokemon A'.
>>
>>26614092
Oh I thought they were just overstating Chomps Ice weakness.
>>
>>26613984
Here is the biggest piece of advice you can get:
Don't.
Team building requires a big ammount of time, effort and knowledge about the current meta and relevant treats, as well as how each of the pokemon you are using do in it.

Instead of spending a week of your life in this shit, just steal some teams from good players.
There are a few people on youtube who frequent both smogon and VGC tournaments, copy their teams, learn how they work and you are good to go.
>>
>>26613984
No need for team building anon, if you truly love your pokemon, just do it Sakura style.

What I mean by that is choose your favorite pokemon and win with them, the sakura way.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.