[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this? Some context "After the latest trailer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (376KB, 1242x2058px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
376KB, 1242x2058px
Thoughts on this?

Some context
"After the latest trailer reveal of Pokemon Sun and Moon, there has been a lot of backlash from the Hong Kong Pokemon community, many people saying they will not buy the game. Let me explain the situation:

As you all know, Generation 7 will be the first Pokemon games to get an official Chinese release. The games will be released in two forms of Chinese writing, Traditional Chinese (繁體字)and Simplified Chinese(簡體字)

Simplified Chinese is used only in Mainland China, so only they will get the Simplified Chinese Version.

Traditional Chinese is used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau. Pokemon isn't big in Macau so we'll take that out of Question. The problem is that Hong Kong and Taiwan speaks different dialects. Hong Kong uses Cantonese(廣東話)and Taiwan (and Mainland China) uses Mandarin/Putonghua(普通話), so their translation of Pokemon are different. For example, Pikachu has always been called 比卡超 in Cantonese, and 皮卡丘 in Mandarin. Even the name Pokemon is different in the three places -- 寵物小精靈 in Hong Kong, 神奇寶貝 in Taiwan and 口袋妖怪 in China, but TPC decided to combine it all and change it into 精靈寶可夢, which was really weird for all of us

1/2
>>
>>26538370
It was revealed that Pikachu will be called 皮卡丘 in the New Sun and Moon games, and not 比卡超 which means that other Pokemon will likely follow Madarin translations as well, and that has enraged many fans, as they have used the Cantonese translation for almost 20 years (and Hong Kong was the first region to translate the game/show) and that it definitely will take away from the experience in playing Pokemon (I can say that for sure)

Another factor as to why people are so angry is that Hong Kong people hate mainlanders due to economical, cultural and political reasons (Hong Kong is a democratic body inside a pseudo-communist country), and being forced to use the mainland translation is like being asserted dominance from them and it feels bad for most Hong Kong people

tl;dr: Pikachu: Hong Kong = 比卡超; Taiwan/ Mainland = 皮卡丘; Sun and Moon = 皮卡丘; People = Mad
>>
That sucks for them.
>>
I genuinely sympathize with Hong Kong as I've lived over there and they're way nicer than the shit-eaters in the mainland, and China treats them awfully.

But the reality is that it's just not economical to make a game translation just for them. Gamefreak and Nintendo don't want to stick their foot into political drama, and you can't really blame them for that. They're just a game company.

It sucks, but it can't be helped.
>>
>>26538370
So... What you're saying is that they're arguing over semantics? Fucking chinks.
>>
>>26538409
I think the issue is beyond the game, and it's a real problem. About how mainland is trying to disappear the Cantonese culture and Pokémon is just one part of it all
>>
>>26538370
>>26538376
Fuck Hong Kong attention whores with inferiority complex, only Ukraine and few other countries are worse at doing this.

Hong Kong's second language is basically English anyway.
>>
>>26538370
i thought dubfags vs subfags were serious
>>
Me on the right
>>
fuck China desu, they will cause world war 3
>>
>>26538421
No, stop being so stupidly paranoid.
>>
>>26538520
The real issue is that some Hong Kongers are alarmed by how China's central government, as well as the progression of commerce and tourism, are forcing (via mandated curriculum and market forces) HKers to learn and use Mandarin, at the expense of Hong Kong's native language, Cantonese.

This fear may be paranoid and parochial to some degree, but it's mixed with the very real and grounded fear that the Chinese government is increasingly imposing its autocracy in violent and oppressive ways on Hong Kong (such as the recent kidnappings of Hong Kong publishers who ran afoul of the mainland government).

The people protesting are likely alarmed that Nintendo, a company that has had no problems serving up Cantonese versions of the many, many games and properties in the Pokémon franchise to the region, are suddenly switching to Mandarin
>>
>>26538370
Then just play it in english like you've probably done until now you fucking babies.
>>
>>26538370
Isn't HK's second language English? Couldn't they boycott the new translation by buying the English (ie. "capitalist") version instead?
>>
>>26538370
I seriously don't give a shit.
>>
File: 1457656371559.png (234KB, 919x737px) Image search: [Google]
1457656371559.png
234KB, 919x737px
Chinks and japs should all die
>>
>>26538634
U mad, koreashit?
>>
HKer here. Pokemon is quite a big deal in HK due to the anime still keeping up and the games are very much hyped by a large enough fanbase. Personally I can see why they would protest, but its obviously not going to work out. Most of them end up playing the English or Japanese versions anyway, and while the Mandarin version might be bothersome to understand throughly, it at least can still be read somewhat.
>>
The population of Hong Kong is 7.1 million. The population of China as a whole is about 1.3 billion. That's about .005% of the population. Sounds like Nintendo is just playing a numbers game.
>>
Spics have to either use the Spanish version using Spain Spanish, or play in English and I rarely see them complain.

If infamous shitposters don't find it a big deal then neither should HK.
>>
>>26538370
>>26538376
I can definitely sympathize with them. Imagine if SuMo came out and Charizard and Blastoise were now Lizardon and Kamex. Not saying those are bad but it's what we've become accustomed to.
>>
Magic babies
>>
>>26538597
>buying english version
>games have preset multilanguage options since gen 6
>>
>>26538889
I really don't see the problem.
I have always played the game in English, but if a local version suddenly came out with new awful names I would just continue to play in English.
>>
>>26538370
Proof the pokemon fanbase is shit.
>>
>>26538889
>SuMo
Fuck off, reddit
>>
They need to just suck it up. HongKong is just a city its population is too small to actually matter.
>>
>See this thread
>Think they named Pikachu "FUCK DA CHINESE" or something
>It's just some inane dialect whining
Good job wasting my time OP.

HKfags can go suck a dick, or import the US version.
>>
When I saw they were going to make chinese versions of the games I knew something would happen. Chinks fucking loving pointless drama like this.

Though I was expecting some Japan vs. China shit, not exactly chink infighting, but it still counts.
>>
>>26538878
Cantonese is spoken by 80 million people and it's part of the identity of the native speakers. Also they have made Cantonese translations and they stopping doing that is what people are against of
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piEayQ0T-qA
>>
>complain because no pokemon in ching chong
>Pokemon now in ding dong, still complain
>>
>>26539529
NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT'S NOT THE RIGHT CHING DONG!!!
>>
>>26539120
Unless they want a bloody revolution, they're all going to be speaking Mandarin by 2047 anyway. Might as well get a head start.
>>
>>26538376
to be honest I think that majorly sucks for them. Where I come from, we got the french version of Pokemon BUT with english names. One day, they decided they wanted to use the french from France version of Pokemon. As a result, now you can't watch the show without the french terminologies and names which are really confusing for most of us who grew up with the english term. It sucks big time :/
>>
>>26539678
>:/
>>
>>26539120
>80 million
>out of 1.3 billion
It would be like gay people demanding a game only in "gay-dialect" there a huge minority who only feel that they should have a significant say in matters.
>b-but muh identity
Shut the fuck up, retard, a video game translation doesn't erase shit, let alone your entire goddamn cultural identity. Hong Kongers confirmed for drama queens lol
>>
No one cares
>TWO versions of Chinese in the game
>WAAAAAAH WHY ISN'T MY SUPER SPESHUL DIALECT INCLUDED
>>
>>26539529
>>26539558
ching chong me a chingachudong
pong yo gib bu mi ay po ki man fo fri bifo i biroh ah u appu
>>
>>26540079
God I can't wait for white people to be the minority in America so ya'll can realise how dumb this shit sounds.
>>
Can't they just translate it into asian and call it a day?
>>
>>26538889
I came here to say this. It would be pretty surreal no matter your perspective. Suddenly it's
>Parkerchu
>Mewbtoon
>Gengldar
>>
Americans shitting up this thread when they get the metric Pokemon heights and weights super specially converted to their backwards feet, inches, and pounds.
>>
>>26540191
>they get the metric Pokemon heights and weights super specially converted
I hate this shit....
>>
>>26540191
And do you think people would even notice if they stopped doing that?
>>
>>26540418
After the shit with the cleavage lines in the anime being 'missing' I've realized there is nothing /vp/ won't complain about.
>>
>>26539678
Does Quebec have a whole different translation of Pokemon or something?
>>
Kind of silly, but hey at least they're actually doing something about it instead of crying on a message board.
>>
there are too many forms of chinese. one of them needs to be eliminated.
>>
>>26542487
Crying in the streets ins't much better.
>>
>>26538370
>EU is getting the game a week later, no big deal
>BUT STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES PINGPONGPIKACHU IS NOW PINGPANGPIKACHU, RIOT IN THE FUCKING STREETS
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 303x277px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 303x277px
>it's an 'Asians fight amongst themselves as they try to forget they're all the same' episode
These ones are my favourite.
>>
>>26538889
>SuMo
>>
How far can someone get in HK if they only know English?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.