[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, how do we feel about megas? We're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 8

Now that the dust has settled, how do we feel about megas?

We're they a good addition to the series overall?
>>
File: LlDEl0j.png (330KB, 594x690px) Image search: [Google]
LlDEl0j.png
330KB, 594x690px
>>26500360
Too nostalgia pandering.

>overrated and OP pokemon got even more OP
>first stage evos got megas
Just evolve them
>>
>>26500360
meh

Would be better if they started offering multiple megas that perform different roles for some variation. As of now, most megas can only do one thing because their stats/ability are extremely oriented to work with specific moves.

But if there were a few mega slowbros, for example, I think that would add some fun, because you wouldn't know if your opponent is packing the defensive mega or the mega that gets a big speed boost at the expense of defense.

However no one has time to create so many mega designs so that won't happen. At the end of the day its a good way to see bad pokemon get some improvement at the expense of already good pokemon getting better.
>>
>>26500384
Agreed would live it to see more evolutions in the vain of what Gen 4 did
>>
>>26500384
>>26500388
To finish off my thought I absolutely agree with the above poster. Something like mega audino should have never existed, because as a mega it is still completely outclassed by pokemon that can use hold items. And to make things worse it won't get a regular evolution so it will always be bad from here on out. That's one thing I dislike about megas -- taking the place of regular evos.
>>
>>26500384
Also fuck the story forcing megashit onto you constantly
>>
>>26500384

>first stage
>every line needs to be a 3 stage line

fuck off

>OP pokemon got even more OP
>implying mega garchomp isn't WORSE than garchomp

emphatically fuck off
>>
>>26500431
>what is power creep
>>
At first, I laughed at the idea of megas. Not as if they were a bad thing or ruined the franchise, just the simple "Oh no Pokemon is ripping off Digimon!" shit.

Looking back on Gen 6, I don't mind megas at all. While there are a few of my favorites that I'd like to be megas, I'm not going to be too upset, as I got to see some of my favorites have their time in the Sun. Maybe those favorites will be shit in Gen 7, maybe they would continue to be good. Who knows.

I also don't understand why you would want a regular evolution over a mega, unless you want to just use the Eviolite on the base design (Poor Dusknoir for example, who is completely outdone by Dusclops in every fashion)
>>
I don't play competitively, I just like them for lore reasons. Plus there's potential for more than one mega for all Pokemon evidenced by Mewtwo and Charizard.

I just wish there were more opportunities to battle them in-game and I hope Sun and Moon introduce at least 30.
>>
>>26500360
Yes and I'm always itching for more. But honestly it looks like they might be replaced by synchros in SM. Megas have already lost much of its "shiny new toy" luster.
>>
>>26500465
I agree with you, just not on the Dusknoir/Dusclops thing. They are both shit in battle but Dusknoir is way more usable than Duschlops is. Just check the PU viability rankings, Dusknoir is rated A- while Dusclops is rated only C.
>>
I like 'em as a person who digs transformation sequences and Digimon. I like the ones that breathe a bit of life into otherwise outclassed Pokemon in particular. I wish they'd focus on those more than giving Megas to the popular and already really decent mons.

Personally interested to see where SM takes it.

>>26500465
>tfw Dusknoir is one of my favourite ghost designs but it's better to use Dusclops anyway

GF pls
>>
Do compfags like megas or no? I've been out of the pokemon loop for years
>>
>>26500360
I hate it, I don't use it and it's the reason why I don't play competitively anymore.
>>
>>26500360

I think they're a good way of giving underused Pokemon a way to be useful.

However Pokemon that would really need one don't get one
>>
>>26500431
>pokemon can only use one item and can only evolve during battle
>stuck with half-baked mega evolution instead of a decent evolution
>>
>>26500575

What exactly makes you think that Kangaskhan would EVER get a "decent" evolution?
>>
>>26500596
it doesnt need one, it already looks "adult"
>>
I think you posted one of the very few I like, design-wise, but they are a fairly decent addition to the series in terms of mechanics.
>>
I don't really mind them but I find a couple of choices of who they gave them to kind of weird.

>Mega Beedrill but no Mega Butterfree
>Abomasnow
>Slowbro
>Glalie

I think they should give them to alternate evos too like Froslass or Slowking,
>>
>>26500596
What makes you think I care about kangaskhan? At least it didn't get a baby evolution
>>
>>26500601

Exactly.
>>
>>26500635

You're the baby crying about Pokemon that don't evolve getting Megas
>>
>>26500360
They were a bad addition to the series.
I like the idea, and I like most of their designs, but from a gameplay perspective they're a trainwreck that just makes everything worse.

They turn your pokemon into a one trick pony, and about 75% of the time that trick is fucking worthless. The remaining 25% of the time, that trick is so obscenely overpowered that it sucks all the fun out of the game.
For most pokemon, their mega either does nothing at all to fix their problems, or is a straight up downgrade, base stats be damned. It's just adding insult to injury because that pokemon was already shitty to begin with.
The worst part is that most of the good ones are on pokemon that were already good, and the only reason they use a mega is because no other items give you +100 BST.

I guess you could say they're wasted potential. They were a great idea that GF was too chickenshit to implement properly. If we never got another mega evolution again, I'd perfectly OK with that. It means more effort and development time spent on things that actually matter.
>>
Good idea, the execution could've been better. I don't like how you can just slap a mega stone on any Pokemon that can mega evolve and mega evolve them straight away when the bond between you is supposedly a big part of why it happens.
>>
>>26500617
Im glad that glalie with a mega means that he isnt going to get turned into a shitty humanoid
abomasnow and slowbro are fine for final stage
and fuck off with that shitty butterfly getting shoehorned everywhere while beedrill gets represented as a shitty angry-evil-weak pokemon on every media
let my bro have his moment
>>
>>26500360
As much I like some deisgns I feel Megas are forced unnatural concept and it would be more fitting for bad guy to get it.

I do Like idea about bond-evolution, but why the fuck we do need stones for that?
>>
>>26500747
>As much I like some deisgns I feel Megas are forced unnatural concept

This.
>>
File: leafeon.gif (638KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
leafeon.gif
638KB, 500x281px
>>26500360

They encouraged asymmetrical team-building and shook up the established meta game which was good as everything had stagnated into tier-whoring, item abuse, stalling, and spike shittery.

I personally don't use Megas anymore- and I beat many teams who use them in conjunction with Legendaries.

Pic related, Eeveelutions with the right abilities and moves are all you need. Mega Evolutions are actually very balanced because they lead a player to "commit" to relying on known abilities and stats alone. Items are superior in the sense that your opponent has to guess what you're holding until they see the effect.

In many ways, a team-based combo will always triumph over Megas.
>>
File: 1384322078097.png (3KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1384322078097.png
3KB, 300x300px
>>26500360
Mega Beedrill is the only mega I actually like through and through.

It's design actually made it look evolved, but without weird appendages or stripes/markings.

In addition it's one of the few that actually deserved a mega.

Megas should only ever have been for outclassed pokemon. But I'd much rather just have seen regular evolutions. I don't care if some would have had 4 stages. Why not.
>>
Megas are a good addition, they add another layer of strategy and diversity to the game and have made a lot of Pokemon more viable or added something valuable to the meta. The only thing I can fault is that sometimes the execution isn't great, especially design wise.
>>
Does the dust ever truly settle? I dont think it really does...
>>
>>26500360

I can't stand them. Love some of the designs but I wish they had just gone for fourth stage evolutions for the Pokemon that they really wanted to improve upon.

Plus, with so many megas, only being able to use one per battle and making it have to carry a mega stone... It's a pain in the butt. That, and so many megas feel very overpowered. They can be fun to play with, but I'd prefer them to be regular evolutions with slightly lower stat boosts.
>>
It could have been something good.
Don't ever give a Mega to a Pokemon when you could give it an evolution, or alternate evos for some NFE pokemon.
Give Megas to Pokemon that are popular but shit competitively.
Don't give Megas to Pokemon that obviously don't need them.
And Charizard getting two Megas is as blatant as pandering gets.
>>
>>26500360
It was actually a pretty good idea. It just needs more megas.

A lot of pokemons that people loved but were complete shit ingame now has an use. Most pokemons that got Megas wouldn't be half as good as if they got normal evolutions, and worse, they could completely fuck up their design like they did in gen4 when everybody got fat and still useless.

Well, of course there is no stop to legendary/charizard/lucario pandering, but this is a small price to pay to get your shitmon to be the star of your team.
>>
>>26500360
Unnecessary gimmick introduced because X and Y didn't bring that much to the table.
>>
>>26500677
>complains that most of the ones that got mega were already good mons
>says that is fine with them stopping at it
It would be better if they continued and started giving megas to shitmons. They are a fucking business that needs to make profit, of course they are going to give priority to pokemons that sells more, but even then they gave megas to unpopular mons like Glalie which is a good thing.
>>
>>26500360
Don't really like it especially the pointless ones like Mega Garchomp and Latios.
>>
>>26500360

I don't play Pokémon competitively and I don't like mega evolution.

It's existence is pointless to me.
>>
>>26500360
I'm not a fan of it.
It shortens the amount of pokemon I can use for competitive play. (Not choosing one that can turn into a mega and being much stronger doesn't make much sense)
>>
>>26500360
I don't give a fuck about pokemon's competitive scene therefore I don't give a fuck about megas.
>>
>>26500788
>4 stages
It is already child, teen and adult, 4th stage would be senile and probably weaker than the 3rd stage.
>>
>>26502114
>>26502091
>competitive
Try using a Beedrill against e4+champion, it is a nightmare, even at high levels, it easily gets OHKO.

Now I just need a Butterfree mega, because it was one of my bros in my first game ever, but it was irredemeable shit during half the game.
>>
>>26502151
>Try using a Beedrill against e4+champion, it is a nightmare, even at high levels, it easily gets OHKO.
sounds like you're in need of some git gud
>>
>>26500431
>>every line needs to be a 3 stage line
He didn't say that.
>>OP pokemon got even more OP
>post an exception like a proof
He didn't say ALL megas were an improvement.
Your "argument" is literally one of the best examples of strawman I've ever seen in my life.
>>
>>26502185
The game is made for kids.
>>
I really don't like them.
I think a lot of the appeal of Pokémon came from its simplicity. Digimon has all these crazy branch evolutions, Pokémon had simple linear evolution lines of three at most. Even the Eevee line is simpler than most Digimon evolutions.
Megas added an unnecessary complication that made the powercreep awful and it'll never be reversed.
>>
>>26500384
>Mega Mawile is now just a Mawile evolution
Mawile is now fucking everywhere as the most broken thing, since it now can hold an item and it doesn't take up the mega slot of your team.
>>
>>26500360
Love them. Everyone is just salty cause their shitmon didn't got one or its weak even with the mega.
>>
>>26500465
Welp, I don't understand why would you like a mega over a regular evolution.
>regular evolution
>you like it
>use it with an item
>you hate it
>prevo has a chance to be good with eviolite
>mega
>you like it
>can't use it with an item
>can't interact with it in the amie
>you hate it
>can't use prevo with eviolite

From a technical standpoint a mega is just a worse crossgen evolution.
>>
>>26502254
Yes, but are you one?
No? Then git gud.
>>
>>26502347
Kids needs to be able to use theur favorite pokemon. And I was a kid when I first played pokemon and got my beedrill fucked over.
>>
File: Tumblr_m6maesMzWS1qd7ouho1_250.jpg (19KB, 250x175px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr_m6maesMzWS1qd7ouho1_250.jpg
19KB, 250x175px
>>26502362
kids need to learn how to git gud too. this "make things easier so people feel better about themselves" mentality is why the terrorists will win.
>>
>>26502299
Megas and normal evolution are very different from a technical standpoint, they can barely be compared.

Megas is more like Castform form change, which is very different from a regular evolution.

Also, if you hate the mega, you just don't make it hold the mega stone. And it is not like making Beedrill hold an eviolite would make it useful.
>>
>>26502396
Anon, you are forgetting that Beedrill is a terrible pokemon. And leveling it to over 70 is not easy, especially in gen1, without rematches and other stuff, and even then, it gets shitted on, because it is a terrible pokemon.

I'm not saying that they should make the game easier, I'm just saying that they need to make terrible pokemons better, and giving it a mega is a way to do it.
>>
>>26502424
GIT FUCKING GUD YOU TWAT!
FUCK!
>>
>>26502299
>regular evolution
>you hate it
>you have press B everytime it levels up and watch it suffer
>you have to make a pokemon you like suffer from evolution denial
When I first accidentelly did it, I felt terribly bad and thought it would never evolve anymore and it was all my fault as a bad trainer.
>>
>>26502398
>And it is not like making Beedrill hold an eviolite would make it useful.
I'm more upset about non-3 stage pokemon getting megas instead of evolutions, which again, has more benefits.
>>
>>26502445
If the only argument you have are your "feelings" over digital information, ok.
You need to be cold blooded to be good at pokemon anyway :^)
>>
>>26502453
It has its cons and pros. Mawile wouldn't get nearly as strong if it was a simple evolution, and if it did, it would be broken strong.
>>
>>26500360
>Now that the dust has settled,
Kill yourself
>>
>>26502468
As a business, making a game that makes its target audience feel bad is a terrible marketing decision. And this is not feelings.
>>
>>26502453
benefits is a very strange word to use here, since technically, giving +9999 BST to Charizard is beneficial to Charizard, but it doesn't mean that it is better for the game.
>>
>>26502481
>it wouldn't get as strong
>it would get too strong
What the fuck? So it's impossible to get the middle ground with a regular evolution?
If anything the last years have demonstrated that megas tend to deviate from the middle ground much more.
You're just making up assumptions.
>>26502518
Again with this. I have explained very clearly what benefits evolutions have over megas >>26502299
You could have made a list of the cons of regular evos or pros of megas over evos.
But no. You just had to go with a hyperbole as an argument.
>>
>>26502560
>like regular evolution and mega evolution
>just use it

>hate regular evolution
>You are stuck with it, hope that it is a tank mon, so he can use eviolite, and even then, it has this problem: >>26502445

>hate mega evolution
>Just don't give it the mega stone
>>
>>26502591
I meant or in the first line
>>
>>26502499
Not him, but you're assuming that the rest of the world will feel bad for the same reasons as you do.
As a kid, whenever I didn't like an evolution, I never felt bad for keeping that pokemon unevolved.
Actually I would usually feel bad for evolving them into something I considered ugly or stupid.
>>
>>26502591
>like regular evolution and mega evolution
>just use it
Regular evolution still wins due to be able to hold an item.

>hate regular evolution
>hope that it is a tank mon
It's still better than being stuck with a pokemon that has a mega you hate.
At least with regulars you have the chance that they're decent or even good with eviolite. It's something.
With a mega you hate? Nothing changes, you're stuck with the same pokemon and can hope for nothing since now chances are it will never get an evo.

You've chosen to ignore the two benefits regular evolutions have.
And being honest, the "feelings problem" is kinda stupid.
>>
>>26502606
So, for you, it didn't make a difference, but there are a lot of people that would feel bad, and for them, the game would be less enjoyable.
Without to mention that they are trying to minimize as much as possible the aspect where you are its master, and trying to push it as if you were its friend.
>>
>>26502641
>able to hold an item
This is why I used the charizard argument, the pokemon being able to hold an item is not necessarily a benefit for the game.
>>
>>26502676
I still don't share your view.
The only reason for a kid to stop his pokemon from evolving, would be that he hates the evolution because he finds it ugly or whatever.
With this in mind, it's clear that any normal kid would feel worse about evolving something he loves into something he think it's bad.
>>
>>26502695
Yes, but you're treating your point like it demonstrates regular evos would have the chance of being broken since they can hold items, when in fact megas have proven they're the ones that tend to end in the extremes (either broken or useless) while crossgen evos aren't as radical to the metagame.
So if your point is that holding an item could be more broken, well, the last 3 generations kinda prove you wrong, for now.
>>
>>26502709
This is why Megas are better in this sense, it panders to both kids.

Also, stuff like temporary strenght is a thing that kids like, and is probably their main point when they came up with megas.
>>
>>26500788
I also like Mega Sheep too personally
>>
>>26502058
Prioritizing pandering over balance in your game is inexcusable
>>
>>26502735
>when in fact megas have proven they're the ones that tend to end in the extremes (either broken or useless)
This is really not true. There are extremes as with any Pokemon but easily the vast majority of Megas fall into "good but not great" territory.
>>
>>26500384
>>overrated and OP pokemon got even more OP
Popular Pokemon get more attention because they're popular, more news at 11
>implying Venusaur was OP before
>implying Charizard was OP before
>implying Kangaskhan was OP before
>implying Pinsir was OP before
>implying Gardevoir was OP before
>implying Mawile was OP before
>implying Medicham was OP before
>implying Manectric was OP before
>implying Lucario was OP before
>implying Sableye was OP before
>implying Altaria was OP before
>implying Metagross was OP before
>implying Lopunny was OP before
>implying Diancie was OP before
And that's not even counting all the other shittier Megas that are way better than their base forms. I will give you Gengar, the Latis, and Salamence, but other than that your reasoning is bullshit and you know it.
>>
>>26502735
As I said, there are so many differences with regular evos and megas that is hard to compare, the only similarity is evolution in its name.

the only reason you think that a mega is either broken or useless is because you can only use 1 in your team, so only the absolute best megas gets attention in a competitive scenario, when the truth is that many of them are very good ingame, and for some, the difference was the same as night and day in terms of usability ingame.
>>
They make pokemon look cooler and thus more appealing for little boys.

I think it is kind of weird for everyone 18+ to like them, I mean do you like the powerrangers?

It's laughable designwise but I understand why megas are a thing.
>>
>>26502757
I don't like it either, but it is what sells. Also, pokemon is a game for literal kids, so pandering over balance is the rule.

You don't see a kid playing a game with characters he/she doesn't like because it is more balanced competitively than the other games.
>>
>>26502790
>implying Venusaur was useless before
>implying Lucario was useless before
>implying Metagross was useless before
>>
>>26502290
Read the thread. Its fine to like the them but the idea that that's the only reason they're bhated is retarded.

>>26502481
All these "Mawile would HAVE to be shit or OP as a normal evo" people are literally shit at arguing. You know there's a lot more to life than extremes right?

>>26502790
You're putting a lot of effort in your post and didn't actually argue him in any way. Yes, popular and OP Pokemon got Megas and he didn't like it. You listing things that aren't that mean nothing. And again, prioritizing pandering over game balance is inexcusable.

>>26502814
Didn't they take a survey during Gen V and found out Pokemon's fan base is in their late teens now? Then went along and doubled down on kid pandering?

Also, while true, they should have made it so Megas aren't designed to make pandering to popular stuff makes that massively OP. Megas should have been designed in a way that, a bad Pokemon was made good and a good Pokemon was made good in a different way, than every Mega being OP or shit
>>
>>26502841
>Yes, popular and OP Pokemon got Megas and he didn't like it. You listing things that aren't that mean nothing.
The list was to show that popular and OP Pokmon who got Megas were in the minority. What are problem with not literally every single Mega going to a Pokemon who needs it and having some Pokemon that are popular get them? Who cares? They are in the minority. Not every part of the games is for any individual person. It only makes sense they should have parts that appeal to different people. People who think Charizard and Mewtwo are the shit shouldn't be excluded.
>>
>>26502841
>fan base is late teens
They need to make the game for kids, so that they get hooked up early on, and continue playing.

Look at Magic: The gathering for example, their audience is around 25 yo, but try to make as simple as possible, so that teens gets hooked up on the game.
>>
File: image.gif (855KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
855KB, 500x281px
>>26502841
You act as if Game Freak prioritizes the competitive scene at all. They make the game that they want with the Pokemon they want and TPCi worries about the competitive scene after the fact.
>>
>>26500431
If M-Garchomp is worse than normal Garchomp is because Game Freak don't have idea what they are doing.

The intention was M-Garchomp would have been really better than normal Garchomp, and you know it.
>>
>>26502740
Ok, I can actually agree that megas do pander more to kids.
>>26502771
>>26502800
The point was that holding items would create more broken mons in the place of megas.
Perhaps they have less extremes, but mega's extremes tend to be much more broken, and saying regular evos holding items would be as bad or even worse is an awful exaggeration.
>>
>>26502896
The only broken extreme that I can think of that wasn't already a legendary/pseudo getting a mega which is clearly crossing the line of balance over into pandering is Kangaskhan and Gengar. And Gengar isn't good in their official tournament format and Kangaskhan is just another strong Pokemon, like Tyranitar or Garchomp there.
>>
>>26502881
Yeah, but that's lame. They made Gems then took them all out after they were OP in VGC. (At least that's what I heard)

They could at least look at competitive slightly so things don't explode and have to be built back every gen.

>>26502865
It being a minority matters less when you can only use one. The lesser Megas will rarely be used. Megas are competing against other Megas for that one team slot.

>>26502868
I can't argue with that. I admit you make sense.
>>
>>26502896
>Say something is an awful exaggeration whilst making an awful exaggeration
wew lad
>>
>>26502896
Megas being much better is their point, since you only have one in your team, and it can't hold any other item. They want the kids to have their "Ace", and the only pokemon that got into extremes is Mawile, that went from garbage to top tier.
>>
>>26502938
That's the same with every Pokemon, has nothing to do with Megas in particular. There are tons of shit Pokemon and in real competitive play like VGC the vast majority of them are shafted for the strongest top Pokemon.
>>
I think they were a fun and interesting way to mix things up, but the more they release the less I like it. The fact that you can only use 1 Mega on your team means that each time they announce another one it's "Oh, another Mega I probably won't ever use, and now that Pokemon won't ever get a regular evolution."

At least with regular evolutions you have six slots to play with, plus a bunch of item possibilities. Why would I get excited about 50 new Megas when I'm only able to use 1 of them?
>>
Megas are a great addition to the series, but they do have some problems.

1. Charizard and Mewtwo getting two megas

2. Some fucking stupid designs, like Mega Glalie.

3. Confusing changes, like Mega Gallade getting Inner Focus of all abilities.

Overall, I like the idea of giving underpowered Pokemon competitive uses, and a temporary evolution stage.
>>
>>26502960
I was actually using 3 pokemons holding mega stones in my game, so that I would mega the one that had the most advantage against who I was facing. You can only use 1 per battle, but it is not like you can only use 1 mega through your game.
>>
>>26502960
This logic just doesn't hold up. Why would I be excited about 100 new Pokemon if I can only use six of them? That's ridiculous. There isn't literally only one viable Mega, and it's totally legitimate strategy to have multiple Pokemon bolding Mega stones on your team am as well.
>>
>>26502917
Ignoring the legendaries, there are 6 megas in uber and 3 normal non-legendary pokemon.
So they double them in "breakability".
And those 3 normal pokemon are there thanks to their abilities: Stage Change, Speed Boost and Protean.
My point is, unlike you said, what can make a regular evolution broken it's its ability, not the capacity to hold an item.
>>26502942
What exaggeration, lad?
>>26502943
>Megas being much better is their point
Good, I agree, but that has nothing to be with what I've been discussing.
Which are the benefits of regular evolutions that the other guys keep ignoring and the fact that saying holding an item can make regulars evos as broken is an exaggeration.
>>
File: maw m.jpg (26KB, 304x244px) Image search: [Google]
maw m.jpg
26KB, 304x244px
Mega Evolution gave my favorite Pokemon competitive use so I can't hate on it.

I do think it's bullshit that just about every pseudo legend has gotten a Mega, and thus making them even stronger, yet we still have Pokemon like Ledian and Maractus running around. Megas also likely wouldn't have even needed to exist if GF just stopped making terribly underpowered Pokemon in the first place.

tl;dr I don't hate Megas but GF is essentially shitting the bed with distribution.
>>
>>26502979
Are we seriously counting Smogon ubers? Really guys?
>>
>>26502979
>smogon
Why would they even care about it. Guess what, 99% of the playerbase doesn't even know what smogon is.
>>
>>26502988
>>26503005
It's not a definitive reference, but it's definitely a good way to see which non-legendaries are the most broken.
You don't like it? Ok, but that doesn't nullify my argument.
Please, tell me which non-legendary regular evolutions are as broken as mega Gengar, mega Kanghaskan or mega Salamence.
>>
>>26503011
Garchomp
>>
>>26503011
It is not, because smogon is based on singles. While the official format is doubles, so a lot of good pokemons in smogon is actually bad according to them.

And even if we take into consideration smogon doubles, there is still the problem with all the additional smogon clauses and bans.
>>
>>26502988
>>26503005
>Guess what, 99% of the playerbase doesn't even know what smogon is.
What the hell does that matter in this conversation about pokemon being broken?
It's that your argument? Ignoring the rest of his post and just crying "you said smogon!!!"?
>>
>>26500360
Don't care for them, won't use them, don't care if other people do. End of story. Just stop shoving them in my face during the story and having every character gush about how amazing they are.
Thankfully they were gen 6's gimmick, so while they obviously won't be retconned like some retards here claim they will be, I'm hopeful they won't be a focal point anymore in SM.

Also, >>26502495
>>
>>26502790
Prankster Sableye was so overpowered that people initially assumed that gaining Magic Bounce would hurt it.
>>
>>26503028
read this >>26503021
>>
>>26503020
Hell, Garchomp is infamous or this exact reason. His stats were so strong and movesets so varied he could hold a number of different items and they would all have to be handled differently making him not only brutally strong but unpredictable.
>>
Megas are the only reason why the games are interesting again, so yes I like them.
>>
>>26503028
Smogon is literally a totally different battle format to official battles Pokemon are actually balanced around, hence things like Kangaskhan being just another powerful Pokemon or Mega Gengar not even being on the radar afaik.
>>
File: tMfeyjY.png (450KB, 795x903px) Image search: [Google]
tMfeyjY.png
450KB, 795x903px
>>26503020
A great pokemon, but even for a pseudo it still doesn't come close to those three.
You could have said Talonflame.
>>26503021
>smogon doesn't counts
>vgc counts
>reason: because I say so
Even with that, have you actually seen the usage of vgc before and after megas were introduced?
Have you? Because I did.
>>
>>26503056
So why the official format is ok to take as a reference of which pokemon are broken, but singles are not?
It doesn't vary that much and even then megas are still broken in the official format.
>>
>>26503062
>Garchomp worse than Talonflame
O iam laffin
But fine, have Talonflame if thst fits your warped perception.
>>
>>26503080
Worse in which sense?
>>
>>26502957
Megas are stronger pokemon competing for less spaces, so it's a much bigger problem.
>>
>>26503020
Garchomp is nowhere near either Mega Kanga or Mega Salamence in either VGC nor Smogon singles
>>
>>26503062
Are you serious? VGC counts because it is the official tournament.

>seen the usage of VGC
Yes. And look at that, it is different from the smogon usage stats, so why would they use smogon stats over VGC one?
>>
>>26503094
No it isn't. There many hundreds of Pokemon competing for only 6 spots.
>>
>>26503100
>VGC counts because it is the official tournament.
I still don't understand why does that nullifies using smogon as a close reference of which pokemon are broken, specially when both vgc and smogon singles say similar things regarding that matter.
But ok, let's use vgc.
Again, regular evos rarely get as broken as mega khangaskan, mega gengar, mega salamance, etc.
And when they do it's thanks to amazing abilities, and not the possibility of holding items like some are saying and I'm discussing.
>>
>>26503118
>regular evos rarely get as broken as mega
But some do. And on top of that, they can hold an item. And this is what we are saying. As broken as Mega can be, it will always have restrictions.
>>
>>26500360
I rather they just buff the final evo of the mega pokemon or accept a across the board rebalance could help.
>>
>>26503136
>but some do
And more megas do than regular evolutions.
That's what I'm saying.
This whole discussion started because people decide to ignore the two fundamental benefits of regular evolutions.
I didn't say megas were bad, I just cited the benefits a regular evolution has over a mega.
But they said megas were better because regular evolutions can get extremely broken due to holding an item, when actually you can count the non-legendary broken regular evos with the fingers of one hand and it's always due to their broken ability, not due to holding an item.
>>
>>26500360
I like the idea but The fact that its temporary really pissed me off
>>
>>26502277
That would be awful, choiced Mega Mawile would end everyone.
>>
I think the designs get shat on way too much.
>>
>>26503164
And again, all you are saying is "They don't get broken, they just get benefits!", when in your wording, benefit is basically the capacity of being broken, and guess what some of them are, and Megas have a limit of how broken they can be, since they have limitations.
>>
>>26503233
Better than gen 4 crossevos, where everybody got fat.
>>
>>26500556
>I wish they'd focus on those more than giving Megas to the popular and already really decent mons.
This 2bh. I wish they'd only give megas to Pokémon UU and below from now on
>>
>>26500360
Overall?
Yes but we have a powercreep like never before and they need to fix it now.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.