[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some reasonable ways Pokemon Sun and Moon could pull

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

File: pkmnsm.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pkmnsm.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
What are some reasonable ways Pokemon Sun and Moon could pull away from how ridiculously easy XY were? I know, I know, Pokemon games have always been easy, but I think dialing it back up to, say, Platinum level of difficulty would make a lot of people happy.

Reasonable tweaks here, not some romhack grindfest shit.

>let you choose difficulty in beginning of the game, like having challenge mode for BW2 without having to go through the whole game first
>keep Pokemon Amie but get rid of all in-battle buffs
>make EXP Share held item again, unlock EXP All that works like XY's EXP Share but keep it locked until post game
>stop filling routes with trainers that have 1-2 pokemon
>>
I pretty much agree with what you said. Difficulty levels need to come back and the exp share in XY is retarded. Leave it for post-game at best.

>b-but turn it off
no one in the game tells you it's an easy mode (because it's not supposed to be, it's just bad game design) and it's a really shitty alternative because there's no way to level weak pokemon without switching them manually.
>>
I would like something hard as Gen V. I had some troubles against the normal gym and Clay.
>>
Have the fans stop being autistic and just turn off EXP Share if they realize they are becoming too overleveled
>>
>>26499000
they will NOT increase the difficulty, stop, you're literally setting yourself up to dissapointment

the ORAS gym battles being lower level than their RS counterparts should have teach you that, at this point the story its just filler for the multiplayer
>>
>>26499033
I love using XY's EXP Share post game since I can level a bunch of pokemon at once but, in game it makes level escalating kind of wobbly. Like XY was kiiiind of adjusted for EXP Share but it also didn't want to go to far with it so it ends up being easy without EXP Share and RIDICULOUSLY easy with EXP Share.

I really don't understand why they didn't just reintroduce it as EXP All and keep EXP Share a held item. EXP All was already an item!
>>
>>26499000
>ould make a lot of people happy
But OP, people don't want difficult games anymore because they have so many other things to play these days.
>>
>>26499000
More than 3 pokemon for AI
>>
Gym Leaders using Megas and the like.

>>26499045
ORAS is mostly lower leveled prior to Surf and mostly higher leveled after Surf
>>
>>26499045
THIS is a meme. If you compare every ORAS gym leaders team with their RS team, some have lower levels, but some have higher levels. But because the first few do, all of /vp/ spouts it because they don't realize that the latter leaders have either the same or higher levels than their RS counterparts.
>>
>>26499057
EXP All was never an item in Japan, it was always just EXP Share. Only the localized RBY called it EXP All because that's what its function was.

Honestly they should bring Gen VI EXP Share back but add more features to it, like options for Gen V style level scaling, and being able to selectively choose which Pokemon in your party EXP is and isn't distributed to.
>>
>>26499043
The game itself is awkwardly designed around it though. XY tried to do something of a middle ground with balancing for EXP Share, making the game have weird levels at times, but it didn't even matter if you were underlevelled since no NPC had more than 3 pokemon anyway.
>>
>>26499000
>>stop filling routes with trainers that have 1-2 pokemon
>>26499069
>More than 3 pokemon for AI

Just adding more pokemon fixes nothing. Diantha has 6 pokemon but that didn't stop her from doing retarded shit like setting reflect against my special attacker pokemon.

If they want the games to be hard, they need to improve the AI, and seeing how the one from the battle maison relies heavily on cheating to win, I don't think they know exactly how to do that.

And, in any case, they don't want to make the games more difficult, so w.e
>>
>>26499091
levels are relative. The levels being 1 or 2 digits higher doesn't matter in the slightest when all of your team that may or may not have megas and that free lati@s is 5+ levels above them thanks to the altered curve of the game.
>>
>>26499000
Set mode is default mode
Trainers have more Pokémon and with EV's, High IV's and Positive natures.
Trainers switch Pokémon strategically
>>
>>26499116
>using legendaries period and complaining about difficulty

Asking to make the game easier
>>
>>26499073
you mean after getting access to megas, exp.share and one of the eon dragons right?
>>
>>26499116
The free Lati was absolute bullshit. I don't mind gift pokemon, even if they are as ham fisted as Korrina's Lucario, but I draw the line with getting a free legendary with no struggle to catch it. That is just ridiculous.
>>
>>26499139
>I-IT'S NOT EASIER IF YOU MANUALLY REMOVE THE THINGS THAT MAKE IT EASIER

no shit sherlock
>>
>>26499110
When I last played XY I had it on the whole time and was still under leveled, but some people end up grossly over leveled. They should adjust to their play style and turn it off should they notice their levels being too much, and if their levels are too low, leave it on.
>>
>>26499110
This. XY is just shit design in general. Doesn't matter if it's off or on when no trainer has more than 3 Pokemon.

At least ORAS is balanced without it.
>>
>>26499154
That's what I mean about it being awkwardly implemented and designed though. I like to explore and go slow with pokemon games, not necessarily grind, but definitely take more battles than usual, and XY was the first game where I had to actually be worried about being overlevelled because I was dumb enough to keep the EXP share on for the first half of my first play through, since I expected the game to adjust around it because of it being set by default. I can play much better now and I pretty much always keep it off, but still.

This isn't me complaining about it in essence, just that I think something that so drastically changes up how your pokemon grow is going to radically alter a team's levels and would best be locked until post game, so theres no need to account for it when designing the teams of all the NPCs.
>>
File: 1461513167918.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1461513167918.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>26499000
Maybe not have just the player, rival, bad fuckwit and champ have megas, like gym learders and random twats.
>>
>>26499196
But what if someone just wants to rush to postgame for competitive, or wants to cycle a large amount of Pokemon, or just isn't very good at the game and needs a crutch? Restricting it to postgame prevents those playstyles from flourishing.

It's really a matter of using it selectively to match how you play.
>>
>>26499179
>gym leaders only have 3 pokes
JUST
I mean they already have old pokemon in their teams, so why not 4 for clemont (switch emolga for dedenne and add Luxray) 5 pokes for valerie/olympia, and 6 for wulfric? fuck you GF, thelast thing I wanted to see on another region was a fucking emolga
>>
>>26499199
>gym leaders and elite 4
yes
>random twats
never unless they are on the victory road
make a high friendship level be necessary to mega evolve, don't mind this, just my personal autism
>>
>>26499000
All that is well and good, but we need to address the real issue, something I don't think has been improved since DPP at the most. Gamefreak needs to overhaul the AI. Why are trainers and Leaders so easy? They're predictable. 9/10 times they will use the move that is super effective against what you have out. If they are a Leader or a special trainer and have items in stock, they will heal when health gets low. We this just lets the player use the super effective/ powerful move until the opponent is dead. No strategy, no sense of accomplishment, no challenge. Everything else is secondary in my opinion.
>>
>>26499252
Pokemon games have survived this long without EXP Share, the player will be fine.

Plus, with the added boost of EXP after catching a pokemon, and experience NOT being divided between all participating pokemon--instead giving all participating pokemon full EXP points--gen VI already made leveling easier.

Not to mention, cycling a large amount of pokemon--is it really something you can't use a standard, held item EXP Share for?

With the EXP Share as it is, designing pokemon teams for NPCs becomes incredibly difficult. Do you adjust for the EXP Share, or do you adjust for someone who has it off? On that note, do you adjust for someone that has all their pokemon getting boosted EXP from Pokemon Amie? The designers chose to address this huge variable by...giving NPCs like, 2 pokemon, usually. THat way, in case the player was underlevelled, they'd still probably win. That's a shitty bandaid that made the game seem too easy at basically EVERY level of play.

My point is the decisions that the developers made with the EXP Share in mind were dumb decisions that brought XY down, so since they obviously can't handle it, they should just make EXP Share post game. Or at the very least, late game.
>>
>>26499111
There are higher AI levels, it's just that the ingame trainers don't use them. Or at least the ones prior to the postgame. Don't want to examine all the trainers right now.
>>
>>26499000

Difficutly setting for one thing

Giving every trainer the AI of the Ace Trainer at minimum and give Ace Trainer (and Friends), Gym Leaders, E4 and Champion an even higher form of AI. All major battles beyond the first rival battle have a minimum of 5 pokemon.

That's a good place to start for Gamefreak.
>>
Make all stats scale to level 50 in all battles, game fixed.
>>
>>26499000
>I think dialing it back up to, say, Platinum level of difficulty would make a lot of people happy
My sides, the whole reason they started dumbing down the games was because the focus test told them Japanese kiddies found Platinum too hard.

In other words, keep dreaming.
>>
>>26499034
>hard as Gen V
LOL
>>
>>26499287
The problem is it's quite hard to make a challenging AI in a game like this without allowing the game to flat out read your inputs. Maison AI is fine for the most part if we consider the limitations of the game itself. The only thing I'd add is mixing up the AI behavior based on the "knowledge" of the players team it gained during the battle. So if it "knows" (due to switching) that the player has, for example, a Charmander and a Squirtle in their team, it might occasionally use a grass move on Charmander to simulate the prediction aspect of the Pokemon battles.

The one thing I'd like to see gone is AI deliberately turning to shit the moment players Pokemon HP turns red. That stuff is just stupid and disrespectful to the players themselves.
>>
>>26499252
>But what if someone just wants to rush to postgame for competitive
I'm sure they can handle one normally paced week-long playthrough before they spend the next two years doing competitive building for that gen.

>or wants to cycle a large amount of Pokemon
fair

>or just isn't very good at the game and needs a crutch?
Pokemon games are easy to begin with. If we could beat the earlier gens as kids there's no reason today's kids can't either. Besides, you're implying that kids won't enjoy the games if they actually have to learn and overcome a challenge. That's part of the fun and RPG experience.
>>
holy fuck a new original thread with new original arguments about a new original topic

holy fuck
>>
File: 1380606620926161444.jpg (129KB, 800x442px) Image search: [Google]
1380606620926161444.jpg
129KB, 800x442px
Make one version the dedicated hard version and the other the casual one. That way everyone is happy
>>
>The EXP. Share, when turned on, gives Pokemon that participated in the battle 100% of the experience, while the rest get 50% of the experience.

Fucking seriously? hahaha, no thanks. I don't think I will ever play these games.
>>
My play style has been, since gen 1, to battle every single trainer, every single encounter, and always grind up my pokes to around 2-3 lvs above gym leaders.

Am I alone in doing this?
>>
Ideas I want implemented:
>Challenge mode brought back and available at the start
>Exp Share switched back to how it was in Gens II-V
>Instead of using gyms based on typings, why not bring in stat/strategy gyms? Have one gym based on HP and then a later gym be based on using Trick Room. They kinda did this in HG/SS but it could be way more fleshed out.
>Mega Evolutions are now only accessible via the post-game.
>>
>>26501007
>always grind up my pokes to around 2-3 lvs above gym leaders
Thats kinda impossible without knowing the Gym Leader's team beforehand
>>
>>26501036
>Exp Share switched back to how it was in Gens II-V
No thanks, I enjoy my ability to EV train multiple Pokemon at once.
>Mega Evolutions are now only accessible via the post-game
This will almost definitely be the case since Megas probably won't be in the spotlight of Sun and Moon.
>>
>>26500618
I thought even in the hard FE:if you could turn off perma-death?
>>
>>26499179

ORAS is balanced without the Exp. Share on? Oh please, I turned that shit off and changed by battle style to Set on my first playthrough, and I obliterated the whole game with a fucking PLUSLE. I didn't even have to try.

I personally think something needs to be done about TMs. Once you get them, you can reuse them over and over again, and overpower a lot of your Pokemon if you go about it the right way.

Now, I like having infinite-use TMs, so I don't want that to go away per se, but I also liked the challenge in earlier generations where I'd have to be selective about which TMs I used and when. Sometimes, it was the difference between winning and losing, especially because then I didn't have to grind.

If they could find some way to give us limited usage of TMs whilst playing PvE but still let us use them in an unlimited fashion, particularly for competitive play, I think that'd help some of the balancing. You'd have to rely on the Pokemon you catch and their skills more than just whatever TMs you can slap on them.
>>
I just play it like I did when I was younger. That is to say, I completely ignore stats and for the most part teach my Pokemon whatever moves have high base power regardless of whether they're physical or special. I'm playing against braindead NPCs, I don't need to strategise. I pretty much just used my knowledge of type effectiveness. Also I don't use HM slaves, I just spread them out through my party. That's just me though.
>>
>>26501909

>not making use of physical/special split

Are you 12?
>>
>>26501932
No, but that's what I did when I was twelve and the game wasn't as much of a cakewalk.
>>
>>26499000
Shitty level scaling from near the end of the game onwards just like the original RSE to make Steven the second hardest champion in the series.
>>
>>26501942

So you admit that you're a kid?
>>
>>26501972

>ORAS Steven
>second hardest champion in the series

uw0tm8
>>
>>26501977
That's what I did when I was twelve. I'm doing it again, now. Are you autistic?
>>
>>26501990

You're implying you were 12 after the physical/special split happened, which means you're a kid.

Also, you said you WEREN'T doing it now.

So at some point, you lied through your teeth, kid.
>>
>>26501999
Gen 4 was 2006, old man.
>>
>>26501999
If he was 12 when Gen IV came out he'd be 22
>>
>>26502005

It was 2007 for most of the world.

I love how being old is apparently an insult though.
Grow the fuck up.

>>26502019

More likely 20 or 21, but that's implying he played Gen IV and not just Gen V.
>>
>>26502048
>It was 2007 for most of the world.
Alright July 2007, whatever, it's inconsequential.
>I love how being old is apparently an insult though.
>Grow the fuck up.
You're the one who seems upset that not everyone on this Pokemon board is in their thirties or older you sperg.
>More likely 20 or 21, but that's implying he played Gen IV and not just Gen V
What the fuck are you even talking about? Gen 4 was my third generation.
>>
>>26501136
You can, but it's still a challenge without permadeath.
>>
Only way to make these games truly a challenge is by making E4 lvl 90-100 and adjust it from there.
>>
File: 1428288046822.png (228KB, 1024x894px) Image search: [Google]
1428288046822.png
228KB, 1024x894px
>>26499000
E X P E R T M O D E
>>
>>26501881
Maybe it's because you're using Plusle the whole way through since nothing nearly everything is weak to electricity, but I'm over here with Pokemon getting slaughtered despite being the same level. Granted I have almost no electric Pokemon and the ones I do have don't need to evolve so I never use them. I nearly whited out on the surf route to Dewford thanks to Tentacools massacring my Grass Pokemon, and when it wasn't them it was Pellipers that had Roost and dealt like half my health in a hit.

Could just be my playstyle though, I constantly rotate Pokemon out once I hit their max evolution and never use no-evolve ones.
>>
>>26499033
>because there's no way to level weak pokemon without switching them manually.

How is that an issue?
>>
Just don't give the EXP share until way way late.
>>
>>26499033
How are they supposed to tell you what it's an easy mode? Can't you use your brain and tell that "this thing gives experience to all my Pokemon without having to battle with them" would be inherently easier than not having it?
>It's not easy mode, it's just shit game design
Where do you even get this from? Having an optional feature that makes the game easier isn't an easy mode and is also a shit game design? Says who? You?
>>
File: Iris-Challenge.png (96KB, 730x396px) Image search: [Google]
Iris-Challenge.png
96KB, 730x396px
>>26502909
Challenge mode available at the start, and implemented in the same way as it was in W2B2
>>
Being able to select a challenge mode at the start of the game just seems like a no-brainer.

Get rid of the 8 gyms thing. It's too long for kids, its not enough for us.

Make random trainers WAY harder.

Some smaller league after the main game (islands, frontier, whatever).
>>
>>26499285
>>random twats
>never unless they are on the victory road
They could introduce a Mega Evolution Expert Trainer Class that uses them.
>>
>>26499000
My biggest wish for this is just for them to bring back difficulty modes.

>Standard Mode
The AI is normal. Route Trainers and Gym Leaders have no more than three Pokemon, Elite Four and Team Leader have four, Champion has full team of six. Basic items, movepools, etc. Story ends around the Level 60 mark.

>Ace Trainer Mode
AI is slightly elevated. Route Trainers and Gym Leaders can have up to four Pokemon, Elite Four and Team Leader have five, Champion has six. Some Pokemon on their teams have items like Quick Claw or Gems. AI starts to strategize a bit, like having the Pokemon have moves and abilities that benefit each other, like Quick Attack with Pixilate. NPC Pokemon also have beneficial natures and slight IV and EV advantages. Story ends around the Level 70 mark.

>Veteran Mode
AI is elevated even more. Route Trainers can have up to six Pokemon, as can Wlite Four, Team Leaders, and Champion. Gym Leaders stick with up to five Pokemon; Gym Leaders past Gym Five have Mega Evolutions. NPC Pokemon all have perfected IV's and EV's, correct Natures, and can even have Pokemon with Hidden Abilities. Competitive use items are used, like Cell Battery, Eject Button, etc. Stratregic Pokemon sets are used by NPC's, such as Gale Wings Talonflame @ Life Orb. Story ends around the Level 80 mark.

People want a challenge, so give them a challenge. Standard Mode can be for those just starting to play. Ace Trainer Mode can be for those who are already familiar with the games mechanics, and Veteran Mode can be for those long-time fans that want a challenge.
>>
>>26503296
dat butthurt
>>
>>26499000
Get rid of the gay ass elite 4 challenge and make the league a tournamlent (kinda like the Dome in Emerald or the World Tournament in Gen V)
>>
>>26499000
Level cap now applies to all mons. Gym leaders have 6 Pokemon and their level is the current cap.

Done.
>>
>>26501979
I said RSE Steven tard
>>
>>26499000
Doesn't needs to be harder, difficulty affects sales since this is at it's core a kids game.
Instead, you B/W2 it and add a "hard mode" to it.
>Opponent is buffed, chances for side effects are multiplied x2 (Lava plume burn chance is 60%)
>Opponents level increase, level curve is more punishing and punishes people who didn't EV trained.
>All Gym leader/Rivals/Elite 4 pokemon have competitive movesets + EV/IVs Correct Nature-Battle Maison style.
>All trainers have at the very least 3 pokemon
>All Important trainers have a full team of 6
>Gym battles consist of legit monotype competitive teams that support each other.
>Entry hazards.
>EXP. share remains the same to reduce grinding, but remains punishing since it ruins EV training.
>Opponent's equip all of their pokemon with competitive items.
>Can't catch any legendary pokemon until the end of the game
>Prices for all item are multiplied by 10 mystery dungeon style.
>Gym leaders use strategies that completely demolish the previously used strategy that you used against the previous gym leader.
(You used fire offense against the previous leader, next one uses several bulky water types)
>Rival adapts to your pokemon and gets a new pokemon to counter yours every time you meet him.
>"Evil Team" pokemon are more varied.
>Unable to trade any pokemon from another game until the postgame.
>Amie is now required, as without the buffs it provides you are severely underpowered.
>Important trainer's pokemon have amie buffs.
>Competitive mega evolutions for most important trainers.
>You can't access your mega stone until the post game
>Item use is severely limited (Only 3 per battle of any kind)
>Battle items (Choice band, leftovers and related) are extremely limited and almost non existent.
>Elite 4/Champion has a gigantic level curve.
>Most gym leaders are designed to beat you in their first encounter, forcing the player to learn a way to beat them.
>Level cap
>>
>>26503314
Damn, forgot how good iris' team was in B2W2
>>
File: 1461042798039.jpg (22KB, 364x205px) Image search: [Google]
1461042798039.jpg
22KB, 364x205px
>>26499154
>I had it on the whole time and was still under leveled
>>
File: Gym Leaders and Elite Four.png (1MB, 3308x1566px) Image search: [Google]
Gym Leaders and Elite Four.png
1MB, 3308x1566px
>>26499111
>Just adding more pokemon fixes nothing

It very much does fix things. You can have really shitty teams that are piss easy despite having six Pokémon, but there is a huge difference between a trainer having three good Pokémon and having four good Pokémon.

Also just throwing this image out here because it's good at putting the shitty amount of Pokémon on recent major teams in perspective.
>>
>>26499252
>But what if someone just wants to rush to postgame for competitive

You can play competitively without needing to beat the game, the only thing holding you back any is Gen VI not letting you Megaevolve until you get your bracelet, which is early in the game.

>or wants to cycle a large amount of Pokemon
Then they're doing a challenge run and shouldn't expect the game to be easy.

>or just isn't very good at the game and needs a crutch
Then _____git gud_________________
>>
At the start of the game they should have this option.

Normal mode: "A more casual Pokémon experience. Play the way it was meant to be played."

Brutal mode: "For Pokemon experts only. AI are much smarter and at higher levels."
>>
>>26501007
>always grind up my pokes to around 2-3 lvs above gym leaders.

But why

I also battle every single trainer, and in Gen VI and ROMhacks that include this specific Gen VI mechanic get the Exp. from catching every Pokémon on a route, but why would you go out of your way to grind at something as easy as Pokémon?
>>
Gym leaders use different pokemon of different that can learn the signature TM (Sort of like Flint in DP but without the whole 2 fire types in the game)
>>
>>26499000
Have you tried "Pokemon Bolt Black / Blaze White" in challenge mode?
That is how you make a pokemon game hard.
>>
>>26503536
This is good but I would let later Gym Leaders go up to five in Ace Trainer mode too, just look at Emerald in >>26504949, five Pokémon isn't that crazy.
>>
>>26500180
I bet you post exactly that whenever gen V is mentioned
>>
>>26503314
It triggers me that you call them W2B2 isntead of BW2, the objectively better way.
>>
>>26504052
This is rediculously overkill in my opinion. Level increases and better opponent teams would be sufficient.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.