[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playable character in Gen I is called Red and canonically chooses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 21

File: jMLZLQb.png (652KB, 1020x572px) Image search: [Google]
jMLZLQb.png
652KB, 1020x572px
Playable character in Gen I is called Red and canonically chooses Charmander. "Gold/Ethan" is mostly seen with a Typhlosion. Serena picked Fennekin in the anime and May had a Torchic.

Is there a bias in favor of fire starters in the franchise? What do you think of it?
>>
But Ash is the stand-in for the protag in Gens 2-6.
>>
File: best.png (80KB, 204x190px) Image search: [Google]
best.png
80KB, 204x190px
>>26485729
Dont worry the bias thing will stop.
No one will pick litten in SM anime
Ash loves flying type
Serena isa performer which is puplio's theme
>>
It's just because the fire starters are the shittiest ones, so the protag need a bit struggle.
>>
fire type is the best
>>
>>26485815
there's no way Litten won't appear prominently in the anime. Litten was virtually designed to be a stupid anime character.
>>
>>26485729
when I first hear of Origins, I tought that Red would choose bulbasaur as his starter, since Bulba is 001 and charizard got a greater development with Ash.
But makes sense to Red to choose Charmander, Brock and Giovanni battles would be boring with any of the other 2
>>
>>26485729
According to random art and other main game stuff
Red: Charizard
Ethan: Typhlosion
Brendan: Sceptile (May gets Blaziken)
Lucas: Torterra
Hilbert: Emboar
Nate: Emboar (based on Hugh having Samurott)
Not sure for XY. I've heard it said Greninja was it. That's the only main series game I never got a guide for which is usually where I see the art for this kind of thing
>>
>>26487021
Though iirc old art had the Gold/Kris with Feraligatr line so
>>
File: Brendan_Swampert.png (394KB, 522x381px) Image search: [Google]
Brendan_Swampert.png
394KB, 522x381px
>>26487021
>may is the daughter of Norman
>that means that Brendan is the son of P. Birth
>brendan is the NPC, with means that Brendan has the starter Pokémon that weakens May's (aka Mudkip)
also, Brendan uses his Swampert in the beginning of the Manaphy movie
>>
File: 413px-RGB_guidebook.jpg (70KB, 413x600px) Image search: [Google]
413px-RGB_guidebook.jpg
70KB, 413x600px
>>26485729
no you wrong, Red is usually pictured with bulbasaur not charmander then after that the pattern follows Grass>Fire>Water>Grass and so on

Red: Bulbasaur
Gold: Cyndaquil
Brendan: Mudkip
Lucas: Turtwig
Hilbert: Tepig

i'm not so sure what happens with Nate but the point stands Red is usually pictured with Bulbasaur

>>26486937

the only reason they had Red chose Charmander in Origins was to advertize Mega Zard X
>>
File: 420px-Rival_artwork.png (540KB, 420x600px) Image search: [Google]
420px-Rival_artwork.png
540KB, 420x600px
>>26487194
>>
>>26487194
>advertize Mega Zard X
this is another reason but not the only one
>>
>>26487206
>>26487194
Uh, wait, really? Isn't there art of Red flying on a Charizard with Blue on a Blastoise or something? Weird.
>>
>>26487155
Brendan has Sceptile in the ORAS trailer
>>
>>26487021
Red choose Bulbasaur ( >>26487194 ). Unova both protagonist choose Fire Type starter (http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/pokemon/images/6/63/Nate_Emboar.png/revision/latest?cb=20141019052347) and Kalos's choose Froakie (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/2e/d3/d42ed36491292758a7009b9dbc2a0c4a.jpg).

Grass -> Fire -> Water
Kanto -> Johto -> Hoenn
Sinnoh -> Unova -> Kalos

The new boy ("Sun"(?) ) choose Rowlet, Grass Type.
>>
File: NspG0Ke.jpg (52KB, 598x427px) Image search: [Google]
NspG0Ke.jpg
52KB, 598x427px
>>
>>26487155
What? Brendan actually looks like Norman. May doesn't really look lkkeiether. Is this based on the anime? Or something? I specified stuff related to the main games.
>>
>>26487249
this art maybe? sorry best quality i could find

>26487266
thanks
>>
>>26487279
well, >>26487021 says that May got Blaziken, so it's basically Anime or Adventures Manga
>>
>>26487318
pic didn't go though
>>
>>26487329
Whoa... My brain is melted. For a long fucking time I thought Red was the one always shown with Charmander in this article. I even remember thinking "it sure is weird in all those old arts its squirtle and Charmander and not Charmander and Bulbasaur, then it'd be Red and Green, oh well, Sugimori is weird". I was in some delusion.
>>
>implying Yellow isn't canon
>>
>>26487279
>I specified stuff related to the main games.
if you wants stuff related to the games, how can you say that Red canonically chosen Charmander?
>>
>>26487368
Origins was the most recent
>>
File: He.jpg (46KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
He.jpg
46KB, 600x400px
>>26487329
even Pikachu is more canon Red poke than Charizard

http://www.dailynintendo.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Pokemon-Red-Green-Blue-Concept-art-Artwork-Daily-Nintendo-1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WuzcL.jpg
>>
>>26487382
what? just because of that?
Origins is not the game, it's just based on the game
like the Ashime, like the manga.....
>>
File: 1463940996136.jpg (95KB, 620x688px) Image search: [Google]
1463940996136.jpg
95KB, 620x688px
In my own Canon
>Red - Charmander
>Gold - Cindaquil
>May - Torchic in canon Emerald
>Dawn - Piplup in canon Platinum
>Hilda - Snivy in White
>Nate - Oshawott in White 2
>Calem gets Froakie and Serena Fennekin, X & Y are equally canon.
>>
>>26487405
No shit
>>
>>26487406
Origins is explicitly an animated interpeetation of the games. Its at least as relevant a source as random pieces of promotional art that have no significance at all so I don't know where you got "just because of that".
>>
>>26487442
>animated representation
>representation
>megas
>>
>>26487431
YES
>>
>>26487448
Yes, and? Just because it was an advertisement vehicle as well doesn't change anything.
>>
>>26487457
Origins isn't main game canon
Why?
Because it's not a main game

don't go moving the goalposts now
>>
File: B_1zooAUsAA9yQD.jpg (7KB, 204x162px) Image search: [Google]
B_1zooAUsAA9yQD.jpg
7KB, 204x162px
>>26487448
>Megas
>Giovanni good guy
>Green in the pokemon tower
>>
>>26487475
Goalposts haven't been moved. It's not a main game literally but if you want to bdo qn ass about it neither is promotional art from the actual game. Gold was shown to be with Croconaw in old promotional art but now Ethan has Typhloaion in HGSS. It isn't consistent portrayed, especially not over time
>>
>Red: Bulbasaur (origins doesn't count bc it was made to promote charizard-X)
>Gold: Cyndaquil (duh)
>Brendan: Treecko (ash gets it)
>Lucas: Turtwig (ash gets it before chimchar and piplup is dawn's)
>Hilda: Oshawott (snivy fits with cheren, tepig fits with bianca - hilda is protag bc who gives a fuck about hilbert honestly)
>Nate: Tepig (BW2 animated trailer)
>Serena: Fennekin (duh - serena is protag bc calem fits with froakie and shauna with chespin)
>G7Protag: Litten (male), Popplio (female) I like Rowlett myself but you can tell it'll fit more with the rival, I just don't know whether it'll be the stronger or weaker rival
>>
>>26487525
>(origins doesn't count bc it was made to promote charizard-X)
How does that not count when you list the starter ash fully evolves as reason it's "canon"? The Mega Evolution specials were made explicitly to shill Mega Charizard X. It's in the fucking name. If anything I'd say it was made to shill Charizard period but it doesn't make it less irrelevant why it's chosen. I'd sooner say RB Red gets Bulbasaur and FRLG Red gets Charmander.
>>
So are we just going though every protagonist's starters. Off the top of my head.

Gen I
Ash gets all three, though only Charizard fully evolves. Special!Red has Venusaur and Girl-Blue/Green has Blastoise. Zensho!Red has Charizard. Origins!Red has Charizard.
often showed Red with Bulbasaur.
Gen II
Ash caught all three, and none fully evolved. Special!Gold has Typhlosion and Kris has Meganium. Golden Boys!Gold has Feraligatr. There was also that Raikou special where the Gold stand-in has Typhlosion and the Kris stand-in has Feraligatr.
Gen III
Ash has Sceptile and Anime!May has Blaziken. Ruby has Swampert and Sapphire has Blaziken. There was also that anime trailer for ORAS where Brendan has Sceptile and May has Blaziken and Swampert.
Gen IV
Ash has both Torterra and Infernape, with the latter getting more focus, and Anime!Dawn has Piplup. Diamond has Torterra and Platinum has Empoleon. There's also the DP Adventure manga where Hareta has Empoleon.
Gen V
Ash gets all three, none fully evolve. Black has Emboar and White has Serperior. Lack-two has Dewott. There's a random short manga I read where Hilbert has Emboar. In the B2W2 anime trailer Nate has Emboar and Rosa has Serperior.
Gen VI
Ash has Greninja and Anime!Serena has Braixen. X has Chesnaught and Y has Greninja.
>>
>>26487525
Nigger, Hilbert is the best Pokeboy.
>>
>>26487509
>promotional art from the actual game is released together with the game to promote it
>Origins were released 17 years after the original Red/Green to promote the Zard X
no anon, just no.
>>
>>26487572
So what you're saying is, Pokemon Origins isn't promoting the games? And how do you respond to Gold/Croconaw and EthanTyphlpsion? What basis does promotional art have if it isn't consistent with what Pokemon they have? And why does it matter why the starter they use is chosen?
>>
FORGET. THE. FUCKING. ANIME

Kanto -> Bulbasaur
Johto -> Cyndaquil
Hoenn -> Mudkip
Sinnoh -> Turtwig
Unova -> Tepig
Kalos -> Froakie
Alola -> Rowlet
>>
>>26487604
How does Brendan get Mudkip?
>>
>>26487587
what games excatly? oh, Origins was promoting XY and not Red/Green
maybe X is canon with a charmander, not Red
>>
>>26487618
Why can't an anime that explicitly relates itself to the games be a general promotional vehicle for the games and not a specific set of games? And ignoring the rest of the issues?
>>
>>26487587
>And why does it matter why the starter they use is chosen?
you're the one who started th thread and you're the one asking which starter is canon.
So, what are you saying is, doesn't matter what you want to know?
>>
File: X_Adventures.png (222KB, 369x498px) Image search: [Google]
X_Adventures.png
222KB, 369x498px
>>26487627
it can.
but you can get an Chamander in XY, can't you?
you know XY, the games released a little while after Origins?
>>
>>26487635
I didn't start the thread, and what I said makes no sense compared to what you're saying I said. People are acting like having the reason "it only shills for Charizard X" like that invalidates it, but why would it? The causation makes no sense. There's a reason it's the starter sp it's not? What logical fow chart does that follow? Venusaur has a Mega and Charizard X is the Mega of the main character of the Mega Evolution specials already.
>>
File: desconfiada.gif (713KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
desconfiada.gif
713KB, 245x245px
>>26485815
>yfw we're stuck with Serena forever and she's just gonna have different haircuts and haircolors since now we have a customizable player
>>
>>26487684
>what I said makes no sense compared to what you're saying I said.
no, nothing that you said makes any sense, OP
>>
>>26487610
from the bitch at the beginning of the game.
>>
>>26487710
But why are we assuming it's the Canon starter for the male character? Everything else has a reason. Brendan was shown with Sceptile in the ORAS trailer.
>>
>>26487718
We're not. Someone just asked "How does Brendan get Mudkip?" and I explaining how.
also,
>what I said makes no sense compared to what you're saying I said.
that line is worth a thousand keks
>>
>>26487736
>We're not
At least 2 people are
>>
>>26487747
You and me, my love
>>
>>26487550
>___!___
Cancer.
>>
File: asfaf.png (2MB, 741x1034px) Image search: [Google]
asfaf.png
2MB, 741x1034px
>>26487021
>Not sure for XY

serena chose fennekin and squirtle and calem chose froakie and charmander
>>
File: 143255556445.gif (298KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
143255556445.gif
298KB, 500x370px
>>26485729
Besides Charizard and Blaziken, they're by far the worst ones. And Blaziken is outclassed in his own Region by Sceptile. Fire starters a shit.
>>
>>26487800
>Has Flabebe
>No grass Pokemon
Kill me
>>
>>26487800
Is this artwork official?
>>
>>26487876
Yes, it has sugimori's watermark
>>
>>26487876
>Is this artwork official?
>made by ken fucking sugimori

here is your (You) retard
>>
>>26487909
Whoa, rude
>>
>>26486775
Popplio exist you know. That dumb look on its face will make it seem like an Oshawott/Chespin dumb goofball
>>
>Giving a shit about official canon

The point of choosing 1 of 3 pokemon each gen is that there's no official starter for the game protags. Different Red incarnations had either bulbasaur or charmander, Gold with cyndaquil or totodile, etc. If gen4 remakes concept art shows Lucas with Infernape doesn't make it canon. It's just one of 3 options the player has.
>>
File: a MOTHER abortion.png (130KB, 360x230px) Image search: [Google]
a MOTHER abortion.png
130KB, 360x230px
>>26487194
>>
>canonically picked charmander

Origins canon isn't game canon
>>
I guess so? Game Freak probably thinks anything able to shoot fire from somewhere will succeed because Charizard.
>>
>>26485729
There is a bias I'd say.
>Chimchar is the only viable fire poke, next to Ponyta, in D/P
>Blaziken's Mega in X/Y
>Charizard get's two Megas
>All those Charizard EX in the TCG
>>
>>26487206

>Name a character Red.
>His Pokemon is green.

That's kind of charming.
>>
>>26485754
And only his fire starter has fully evolved
>>
File: MOTTO_MOTTO_REEEEEEEEEE.webm (515KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
MOTTO_MOTTO_REEEEEEEEEE.webm
515KB, 640x360px
>>26490391
>
>>
>>26485754
At first ash wanted to pick squirtle, then bulbasaur, and last Charmander.
>>
File: 53a.png (39KB, 209x311px) Image search: [Google]
53a.png
39KB, 209x311px
>>26485815
>thinking Ash won't get a new girl for the next series
>>
File: 405.jpg (74KB, 385x239px) Image search: [Google]
405.jpg
74KB, 385x239px
>>26490380
>names pokemon after his rival
>makes it soften up pokemon then just faint to exp another pokemon
>teaches it HM moves

Thats some real passive aggressive shit there.
>>
>>26485815
So do you think Serena will dress similar to the Protagonist seen in SM as well?

She does look very similar already.
>>
>>26485729
In my headcanon the fire starter is the one the protag picks.
>>
>>26485729
It's because fire type is more marketable. Bye.
>>
>>26487194
This may not matter, but PokeSpe manga uses same pattern.
It treats B2W2 as it's own gen though, so B2 got Dewott and X got Chespin.
>>
File: 53798195_p4_master1200.jpg (339KB, 1024x1200px) Image search: [Google]
53798195_p4_master1200.jpg
339KB, 1024x1200px
>>26490380
>Name a character Green.
>His Pokemon is red.

That's mutual thing. Localization fucked it up by naming him Blue.
>>
>>26485729
Long story short: yes.
>>
>>26487927
>ugly garbage only memesters like
>making it to anime
Like hell it's happening, the most likely is Rowlet like the most popular one, this fucking thing is everywhere
>>
>>26490391
He also has a Torterra, Greninja, and Bayleef. So not only his Fire starters evolve.
>>
File: 200px-RGB_guidebook.jpg (24KB, 200x290px) Image search: [Google]
200px-RGB_guidebook.jpg
24KB, 200x290px
>>26485729
>Playable character in Gen I is called Red and canonically chooses Charmander
oh
>>
In literally every game Red is in apart from his Kanto journey features him with a Pikachu and all the other starters.

What's canon now?
>>
>>26493380
>What's canon now?
He caught'em all.
>>
>Gen 1
Promotional art of the original games shows Red with a Bulbasaur and Green with a Charmander. Green can also be seen on a Charizard chasing Red.

This promotional art is way more credible than Origins because it was made to promote the original RBY with only those games in mind, so this was their original vision for it. Origins can be said to rely heavily on promoting Gen 6's new features through nostalgia

Also, it can be said that the Red that you can fight in GSCHGSS is from Pokemon Yellow, not RB.

>Gen 2
Mostly speculation, but the consesus is that Gold has Cyndaquil and Silver has a Totodile.

Fits their personalities or designs rather well (gold and red clothes for Gold; Silver is the son of a mafia boss and is cold, so a more "savage" pokemon like Feraligatr would fit)

>Gen 3
This is where things get dirty, because people argue about who is the true protagonist of Gen 3: May or Brendan.

However, May's name in Japanese is similar in meaning to Norman's name in Japanese (I forget specifics, please correct me if I'm wrong) and in terms of evidence (which is close to none for both sides), that piece of trivia helps May win by just a little.

Consesus is that May picks Torchic, while Brendan picks the Mudkip
>>
>Gen 4
Unlike Gen 3, there is no pointer for who is the canon protagonist. I have no idea why people keep saying Dawn is the PC when all they have to rely on is the anime and manga.

The Pokemon that fits each Pokedex holder is based on their design and personality (Chimchar the monkey for the energetic Barry, regal and cute Piplup for Dawn [there's also a corocoro page showing her hugging a Piplup] and that leaves Turtwig for Lucas)

The only way this could happen is if you chose Turtwig as Lucas, meaning that Lucas is the Canon protagonist with Turtwig in Gen 4.

>Gen 5
Who the canon protag is in BW doesn't matter because the other gender isn't essential to the story. Hilda or Hilbert, it doesn't matter.

Fitting Pokemon to rivals, it would make sense for them to be based on personality (Snivy for strategic Cheren, Tepig for bouncy Bianca, and that leaves Oshawott to Hildabert)

For BW2, it's a lot clearer thanks to the promotional trailer. There, it's shown that Nate has a Tepig, Rosa has a Snivy, and Hugh has an Oshawott. This type triangle also shows that Nate is the canon protag.

>Gen 6
Thanks to the Sugimori art posted earlier this thread, Gen 6 is also very clear. Canon protag Selena picks a Fennekin, Calem picks a Froakie, and Shauna is left with Chespin.

There you go. If you got any problems, debate me bae
>>
>>26493823
>true protagonist
This is whole new level of autism to debate about.
>Brendan picks the Mudkip
In ORAS trailer he gets Treecko.
>>26493836
>Tepig for bouncy Bianca
Oshawott fits her more though.
You aren't really wrong, but you should stick with this. >>26487266
>>
Kanto:
PC Red: Bulbasaur
'Game Canon' Red: Pikachu + all three starters

Johto:
Ethan ('Gold): Cyndaquil
Kris: Chikorita

Hoenn:
Brendan: Mudkip
May: Torchic

Sinnoh:
Lucas: Turtwig
Dawn: Piplup

Unova:
Hilbert: Tepig
Hilda: Snivy
Nate: Oshawott
Rosa: ???

Kalos:
Calem: Chespin & Charmander
Serena: Froakie
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.