[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Gen 6 the easiest Gen, or are you just good at Pokémon after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

Was Gen 6 the easiest Gen, or are you just good at Pokémon after playing for 20 goddamn years?
>>
You say "good at Pokémon" as if it's a difficult game

Every game is easy as long as you train your Pokémon, you know, the whole point of the game.

Gen6 was a whole lot easier due to gen1-tier movesets on trainers (eg no STAB) as well as you having megas and the EXP share.
>>
>>26432577
oops, left my trip on from HG threads

sorry about that
>>
It was the easiest gen in an easy series, it's not really worth talking about.
I guess some people were insulted that they lowered the difficulty even more. Personally I don't give a shit.
>>
>>26432567
Playing xy without exp share and without change, early gymns are hugely overleveld. Lyssandre destroyed me the first time. So if you don't like grinding like me, with this options it is really hard.

But it really became easier, champ hasn't six mons....but the fact, that there are mostly pokemon everybody knew made it also easier.
>>
Most of the trainers didn't have enough pokemon....the fucking E4 only has 4.
>>
>>26432600
>champ hasn't six mons....but the fact, that there are mostly pokemon everybody knew made it also easier
But the champ does have 6 Pokémon, all of which being gen6 mons other than Gardevoir, which megas so it is different anyway.
What point are you even trying to make.
>>
It's some of both. It's arguable if the games themselves are particularly easier, but they definitely did give you a ton more ways to make it easier.
>>
Opponents have fewer pokemon, incomplete or garbage movesets and it's easy to over level all opponent pokemon without even trying. All in all, if you don't set out to handicap yourself in some way there's no challenge to be found. Other pokemon games weren't exemplars of difficulty, but they were never this easy.

Compare XY with Platinum for instance and the difference is prominent. Platinum's E4 and Champ have full teams that work well together, have their movesets tuned so that their weaknesses are covered and are generally of a level that you won't just chain KO them due to your own pokemon being overpowered. Especially in regards to Cynthia. The level difference between the first E4's pokemon and Cynthia's Pokemon is something like 10-15 levels, I can't remember the exact figure, but it's a substantial increase. If you walk in to that first E4 fight at level parity, by the time you reach Cynthia you need to play well and smart, because you're outgunned.

In XY the E4 have maybe 4 or 5 pokemon each. Generally their movesets aren't completely terrible and cover their weaknesses but you're going to be a good 10-20 levels higher than they are and that's even if you skip battles along entire routes. So you just shitstomp them like the fucking plebs they are. If you want a challenge in XY then you need to hobble yourself.
>>
To XY's credit, the sheer variety of trainers with all sorts of Pokémon, even if most trainers only have one or two, makes it harder to nuzlocke than any other game in the series.
Well, I say that, but I haven't tried BW2 nuzlocke yet, but it's close enough.
>>
>>26432615
This is a pretty glaring flaw, and really makes a lot of trainer battles dull as hell. This was beginning to be the case in gen V, and I don't see why they can't throw in a few trainers with decent teams at some places.

Of course, this would be utterly broken with the exp. share. I did a playthrough with it enabled to contrast with the times I've played off, and the difference is staggering. I was grossly overleveled (I haven't gotten to the league, but I have at least one pokémon 70+ and I would hardly claim I grinded), having even more trainer pokémon would break the game even further.

The biggest fault is the new exp system. We now have (from the top of my head):
>Full exp for everyone who participates in battle
>Amie boost
>Free lucky egg (was in gen V as well)
>Exp for catching pokémon
>Unevolved pokémon that can evolve by level get a bonus
>Exp share in general being all sorts of badly designed
>Exp. O-power

I don't understand why they had to make all these changes at once when gen V had a decent system in place. Not only does the exp. share give you more than three times more exp than you should have, it also distributes EVs far quicker meaning an accelerated stat growth. This could of course end up with bad EVs for a given pokémon, but in-game virtually anything is better than nothing really.
>>
>>26432567
Nah it was piss easy.
Went back to Pokemon Stadium 2, that shit was almost gruelling, goddamn.
About to face Red now.
>>
File: Number_1.0.png (305KB, 758x571px) Image search: [Google]
Number_1.0.png
305KB, 758x571px
>>26432567
Too many trainers had only one pokemon.

Fucking ADMINS should not have one pokemon.

All gym leaders should have four. All Admins should have four. All elite four members, and Team leaders should have five. Champions, end game Rivals, and other special cases like Wallace before the Sky Pillar, and Zinnia, should have six. Trainers can have as many as they want, with most having two or three, less having one or four, and ones with five or six should be special cases, like the Six Magikarp guys.

And Champions should have teams in the mid sixties.

Though giving Primal Kyogre, Primal Groudon, and Deoxys ways of healing themselves did make them legitimately hard to capture.
>>
So why do easy games becoming easier trigger everyone so much? Every Pokemon game is designed as if it's your first Pokemon game. A newcomer starting at Gen 6 has a fuck ton to take in all at once. So GF toned down the difficulty by basically abolishing grinding. Im condoning their decision to make the games easier, but I can see why they did it. The games aren't without their faults, obviously, but getting hung up on the difficulty isnt what we should be doing

What we should be bitching about is the fact that Malva uses a fucking Torkoal! LIKE THERE ARENT ENOUGH POWERFUL FIRE TYPES TO FUCKING PICK FROM??? Also, the rival in XY has only 3 pokemon for like 3 battles in a row. Not acceptable.

I nitpick Gen 6 to death, and am constantly finding new things that I realize trigger me. But I don't hate the games. I don't understand how a fan can hate an entire Gen, be it the new ones or old ones. Like, it's still Pokemon.
>>
>>26432667
The games are easier by design. The justification was that they're trying to retain the youth demographic and part of that necessitates competing with mobile games which usually aren't particularly difficult nor require much time investment. So the pokemon games got streamlined to make everything faster and lowered whatever difficulty there was.
>>
>>26432775
Smartphones are like the worst thing to happen to Pokemon.
>>
>>26432775
But why? If you've bought the game, you've bought the game. GF don't benefit from you completing it.
>>
>>26432783
You can't make normies feel bad by having their garbage teams get stomped. Nor can you require them to think or put in any amount of effort. They'll just call the game shit and go play other garbage.

In that situation, GF will get the money from the initial purchase, but they won't get the money for purchases of subsequent games in the series. Even if they drive the series into the ground and people like you or me quit and stop buying games, the fact is that the normies out-number us dramatically.

I think the design decision is stupid as shit and don't enjoy the changes, but it's easy to see why they'd make that call.
>>
>>26432667
Kids who are total shit at the game probably got stuck near the end of BW1 because they skipped some fights and were too high of level for the trainers they skipped to now get decent EXP from them, and there's no trainers left of a high enough level to get good EXP from, so their only choice to reasonably level at that point is Audino grinding which they may not even be aware of.

So they get bored and stop playing because it's taking too long to be as powerful as the E4, N, or Ghetis and they don't wanna deal with that.

>>26432766
Team leaders should have six if you ask me, even if Ghetis is the only one to do that so far.

>>26432783
If kids get bored of a game before they can beat it because it's too hard and stop playing, it's possible they might not buy the next, either because "well I still haven't beaten the old one" or "the last one was too hard for me, I don't think I want this one".

I imagine that's the mentality, at least.
>>
>>26432667
Hey I never complained about all those extra to make the experience easier/quicker since they're all optional/not required to be used...aside from the unevolved pokemon getting a bit more exp. Doesn't excuse the majority of trainers being so unexpectedly easy.

It'd be so nice if they brought back difficulty options from BW2 so they could still keep it easy for most players and more of a challenge for those who want it
>>
>>26432829
>all optional/not required to be used

When you introduce a new core feature and give bonus exp from said core feature then saying that's optional is pretty stupid. Sure it's optional to use amie, but why would you not test out one of the key features of the game? I can understand why people saying "just turn off the exp share" (even though that's still a retarded argument for several reasons), but I couldn't choose to not get an exp boost from amie. Let's not forget the focus band effect, increased crit rate and status removal given by amie boosts as well.

The exp given when catching pokémon is not optional either, and why would you not catch pokémon in a game about catching pokémon?

I could accept the gen VI exp share if they gave it to you after the league. At that point, you could use it to quickly level for dex completion, and it would serve as an actual reward for defeating them. Giving it away from the first fucking gym and creating exp out of thin air while defaulting to on is inexcusable, especially when kids have made do with the standard exp share for 20 years. This applies for giving away full exp for everyone in battle, why was this change even necessary?

If they made a bunch of trainers have a load of pokémon, the laughable exp mechanics of gen VI would be broken by another order of magnitude. You can't talk about one problem and ignore another, clearly linked problem.
>>
>>26432567
Easier than gen 5 with Alder and Iris? Not likely. The Primals are harder than anything in gen 4 or 5's story by a considerable margin.
>>
I still love that the more Pokemon=harder meme is still going in 2016, and in this very thread too.

>>26433343
>(even though that's still a retarded argument for several reasons)
It really isn't. You didn't use it for four consecutive gens, what forces you to do it now?

Half of the things that make "the game easier" can be outright ignored so that they don't apply to the game.

In this thread you even have people like >>26432656 making up things like Platinum's E4 having full teams and being 10-20 levels over them in XY.
>>
>>26433457
>You didn't use it for four consecutive gens, what forces you to do it now?

I think you misunderstood my point. The point is that the game is balanced and designed for the exp share. It defaults to on. You get it after your first gym. The game is meant to be played with the exp share on. Not only that, but it's kind of illogical why anyone would turn down an invention that readily hands out free exp at all times. There's no logic to such a decision, there's only bonuses with having it on. When the difficulty consists of gimping yourself, then that's shit design.

There is no reason for this format. The exp share worked well since gen II, and I find the lack of a regular exp share distressing. I can't use a regular exp share without giving everyone experience. See the problem?

>10-20 levels over them in XY

My pokémon have readily been ~10 levels higher when using the exp share in XY, in contrast to uniformly lower when not. If I abused the amie gimmick even further then even 15 is not out of the question. Hell, I have lvl 70+ pokémon before I even entered the Victory Road, and I didn't stop to grind, I just fought trainers along the way.

Why are the features of gen VI even in the game? They're not needed. You get a free legendary with a mega stone in ORAS. You can say "don't use it" all you want, that doesn't explain why it's just given to you without further ado. They're not needed, five generations of pokémon games have clearly demonstrated you don't need them, so why now?

Then again, I'm talking to a person who I can quote to
>more Pokemon=harder meme

which clearly shows the lack of critical thinking. I mean, imagine being this stupid you can't even see the possibilities of bigger teams instead of one or two pokémon that can be KOd by a suitable teammate.
>>
>>26433840
>The game is meant to be played with the exp share on
You know what the game also "is meant to"? To let you catch Pokemon with the first 5 Pokeballs you get given by a NPC. What if i dislike the Pokeball's aesthetic? Am i forced to use them? No. I like Great Balls better and i'd prefer waiting until they're available.

>There's no logic to such a decision, there's only bonuses with having it on.
You know what's also all bonuses no problem? Using traded Pokemon. What if i like using Pokemon that just hatched from other people's eggs? Disobedience is never a problem unless the thing is already at a high level, so i have a Pokemon that gets stronger faster than others without ripercussions.

>See the problem?
Nope, not really. Exp.Share was just a tool to not let your weak Pokemon fight and bring them back to back with your party's strenght(or just to train and that's it, but usually that's only done way later). If you care so much about leveling up you would do it properly.

>You can say "don't use it" all you want, that doesn't explain why it's just given to you without further ado. They're not needed, five generations of pokémon games have clearly demonstrated you don't need them, so why now?
You aren't the only one that plays Pokemon. Some play normally. Some play with casually traded mons, like egg or wondertrade runs. Some play with theme teams like bugs. Some play nuzlockes. Some play with just 1 Pokemon. Some others just want to play the game as it goes and not care about difficulty, leveling or whatever else. There's a reason why people call them optional, you know. Because you have the OPTION to use it. Hell, the game's text is always set to mid yet the first thing everyone does is set it to fast. Why? Because they were given the option to do so, even if it's not what the developer had in mind as they put it slower so that you read the text clearly.
You know what you also get for free in every Pokemon game? Master Balls. ....
>>
>>26433347
What the fuck was difficult about the Primals?
>>
>>26432567
Pokémon was always easy.
>>
XY was horribly easy. I made the mistake of leaving Exp. Share on, and I was pushing 40s when I reached Coumarine, and was absolutely steamrolling everything. I decided to drop the entire team, and made a new one with 6 new pokémon, and this time I didn't use Exp Share. I was a bit underleveled in general, but it ended up being a cakewalk anyway
>>
>>26432567
>Play ORAS
>remembered Tate & Liza for being a tough fight in RSE, (especially Emerald)
>Beat them in 1 turn instead
>I was underleveled

The admins and bosses could need more and tougher pokemon too.
>>
Gen I was the easiest gen by a pretty huge margin.
>>
>>26432567
Can this retarded "le deefeecoolty" meme die already? No mainline pokemon game was ever hard and it won't be, everyone should remember the shame of TPP actually beating the game (aka literally thousands of chimps mashing keyboard still can beat the game no problem). And there is zero fucking difference between easy and piss easy no matter how you try to tell yourself it exists. If you want challenge go play something else or pile up some autistic rules
>>
>>26432567
It was a little easier, but literally who cares? It's Pokemon, they're all easy as shit because they are made for children.
Things like the EXP Share and horde battles are a blessing for breeders.
>>
>>26434133
Maxie's team still rustles me

>Still using a shitmon like mightyenna
>Instead of a ground-type to go with his team he gets a weezing
>his Camerupt doesn't even have STAB moves

I miss Cyrus, he was actually competent
>>
>>26432773
>LIKE THERE ARENT ENOUGH POWERFUL FIRE TYPES TO FUCKING PICK FROM???
I can understand this in Hoenn (ironically) and Sinnoh. Kalos has no excuse.
>>
It's a little easier but people who make themselves turn on the exp share and then complain they steamrolled the game are retarded
>>
>>26434145
>I miss Cyrus, he was actually competent
Being forced to have a slot or two for HM slaves to reach him probably helped, but damn his team is tough
>>
>>26434059
.. those make a difficult capture a joke, but the developer clearly intends for you to use it on the legendary despite people showing that they perfectly capable of catching even MEWTWO with normal Pokeballs.

>I mean, imagine being this stupid you can't even see the possibilities of bigger teams instead of one or two pokémon that can be KOd by a suitable teammate.
Funny that you say stupid.
I mean, imagine being this stupid that you can't even see the possibilities of a team made by 4 strong Pokemon instead of a team of 6 made by weaker ones.
Surely you do understand that having stronger Pokemon is better than having shit ones, right? Surely you do understand that the Magikarp Fisherman isn't on par with a random E4 because he has 6 Pokemon and they do not, right?
Clair has 3 Dragonair and one Kingdra. Drayden has a Fraxure, Druddigon and Haxorus. Dragonair is much weaker than any of them. Kingdra is literally the only threat in her team. Why? Because those Pokemon are good, or somewhat decent at least.
Flannery doesn't have strong mons in E, or ORAS, but compensates by everything having Sunny Day AND Overheat. Basically a oneshot. You know who has more Pokemon than her? Blaine. Why is Flannery more difficult, then?
Blaine has Rapidash and MOTHERFUCKING ARCANINE. Arcanine is his strongest Pokemon of course, Rapidash is the second and then he has...wait, what? Blaine is the seventh gym leader.
Where is Charizard? Where is Magmar? Ninetales? ...even Flareon?
Why the seventh fucking gym leader has a PONYTA AND GROWLITHE?

Or let's go into an even worse situation. Let's compare two E4.
Marshal has 4 Pokemon. But they are all strong.

Bruno has 5, of which 2 Onix. Why one of the TOP 5 has a fucking TUTORIAL POKEMON? Where is Poliwrath? Primeape?

Difficulty comes from what Pokemon they use and how they use them. Not by how many you have. Critical thinking? You? Don't make me laugh.

>>26434133
You can do that in RS too. E takes 3 turns instead of 1 like RS.
>>
>>26434145
>Dark Pulse Honchkrow that shouldn't even learn it until other 10 levels instead of Night "crit" Slash"
>special Crobat
>special Crobat also has fucking Bite
Eh.
>>
>>26432567
It's pretty hard enough if you just turn off the damn exp share.
>>
>>26434133
>click surf
Win

Fuck their emerald team though
>>
Every gen has felt just as easy to me
>>
Every Gen is very easy but 6 is the easiest imo with 5 being the hardest.

5 actually has a hard mode setting and dynamic experience to discourage grinding.

6 Made it way easier to get a viable team early with wondertrading and EV training on top of Exp. Share buffs. I remember playing through XY with a wondertraded team except for my starters and made it to the E4 with 6 pokemon in the high 70s

I'd say

5>4>>3>=2=1>6

But there aren't any huge gaps in difficulty. More like slight bumps really.
>>
>>26434250
How?
Talking by Swampert impression here, but psychic does nothing to you and it's over in 3 turns. The only problem is Light Screen but everything that uses it there is slow.
ORAS gave them back their original team but everyone else in the gym has evolved/stronger Pokemon unlike RSE.
>>
>>26434304
>The only problem is Light Screen
Try combining that with Sunny Day and Calm Mind
>>
RPG's aren't really difficult though, you just level up your team until they can beat the gym.
>>
>>26434377
Which don't count because two calm minders are shotted by Surf, while Xatu would die even if someone spit on it.
>>
>>26434415
>RPG's aren't really difficult
They can be. Strange Journey was hard.
>>
File: 1463796764090.png (300KB, 876x1042px) Image search: [Google]
1463796764090.png
300KB, 876x1042px
>>26434802
Most of SJ's difficulty came from breathtakingly complex dungeon design, Pokemon will never have that unless they make a first-person dungeon crawler Pokemon game.
>>
>>26432577
Fuck off tripfag
>>
>>26434133
>remembered Tate & Liza for being a tough fight in RSE, (especially Emerald)
I'll give you Emerald but you can literally beat it with just an slightly overleveled Blaziken, who is resisted by and weak to both, in RS.

Not using Emerald teams was dumb, but as the shills say
>it was a RS remake, not a E remake!
>>
>>26434923
Item accessibility has a lot to do with it too. Since you can fully heal before every encounter at relatively little cost Pokemon dungeons are pretty much trivialized. If there was a limit to how many items you could carry at once, like say 10 hyper potions, 5 revives, and 2 full restores for example, it could potentially make longer dungeons into somewhat challenging endurance runs. Not to mention how far up this would jack the E4's difficulty.
Repels should be way more expensive too, like 10x what they are now. And what might also be neat is if when you mega evolved a Pokemon, they couldn't mega evolve again until they rested. This has no impact on gym battles or competitive play, but in dungeons it forces you to save your mega for when you really need it, with the added bonus of encouraging players to try out multiple megas.
>>
>>26434188
Austism? The post? Pssh, step it up, kid.
>>
>>26436037
>i can't read posts longer than 15 words
>i know i'll call him an autist ha-ha-ha trolled
Ok.
>>
>>26432567
BW2 actually had me lose multiple times to quite a few trainers/gym leaders/bosses throughout the story, and had the exceptionally hard PWT Champions Tournament that was almost unbeatable to me. Gen 6 came out literally the year after and I breezed through it without even losing once. First time I lost a battle was an hour into Super Singles at the Battle Maison. No, the games ARE getting easier.
>>
I just wanted to say I loved getting Expshare so quickly because I often catch all possible pokemon, so leveling them up and keeping my team one one level was actualy fun.

The Amie boost is ok - as you actualy have to spend time to get it.
>>
If just they would make it acceptable to lose a battle instead of making the battles easier to win. I would love to have a rival who actual beat me the first three times I met him.
>>
>>26437543
This, it made having a rotating team of 10-12 Pokemon much less tedious.
>>
File: tumblr_mgw6gzmXLq1rmwn7go1_500.jpg (31KB, 192x430px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgw6gzmXLq1rmwn7go1_500.jpg
31KB, 192x430px
The only time I've ever struggled with Pokemon was DPP's E4.
>>
>>26432567
>>26432600
I turned off the Exp. Share in a Y Nuzlocke, and got my shit pushed in in Reflection Cave because NPCs actually have custom movesets at that point.
>Battle Girl with a Hawlucha nearly gets a TPK, only beat her because I got lucky with Glare
>Black Belt with a Sawk actually DOES bring home the TPK
On an earlier playthrough I remember getting surprised by a Hariyama with Earthquake in Terminus Cave. So I don't know what Game Freak was thinking with the rival battles, but the random trainer fights seem to have had some effort put into them. Not that anyone would know if they played the game normally and levelled up enough to OHKO everything.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.